Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Weka posted:

I'm guessing he means a relatively small border conflict not Mumbai by Christmas.

Look I generally try to understand people's arguments and points of view, but in this case the most important fact is simply that Noah Smith is a gargantuan moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

wasn’t he some anime nerd that was some newspaper’s asia correspondent bc they didn’t have a China office and then decided it meant he was also a China expert

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

has China or India ever invaded the other.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

euphronius posted:

come on dude

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

euphronius posted:

the whole subcontinent has been invading the landmass for millions of years, read a book MORON

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

they keep having fistfights in the himalayas and there was a pretty low scale border war in the 60s, i think the qing also fought a couple of low scale border wars in the tibetan frontier, and that might be it? Invading across the himalayas is a huge pain in the rear end and both places have generally had better things to do

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

my dad posted:

From my experience, Chinese tourists mostly just stare at their phones at McDonalds and gawk at things, which is, uh, standard tourist stuff honestly. I can't think of a way they stand out from the rest of non-Balkans tourists (outside of speaking Chinese obv)

Well obviously they wouldn’t stand out in Serbia cus it’s also authoritarian.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.forbes.com/sites/craighooper/2023/05/04/australia-and-the-us-must-combine-their-heavymedium-landing-ship-programs/

Yet another subversion of Australia's military planning. They're hard and fast this year.

Arguably Australia has been so bad at managing it historically this is a mercy. I am however wondering if the eventual endgame is replacing the emu & kangaroo with more stars and stripes or whether a technical legal distinction will remain useful.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Weka posted:

I'm guessing he means a relatively small border conflict not Mumbai by Christmas.

China doesn't need to Invade Pakistan or India, it controls Tibet which means they control the headwaters for almost every major river in the surrounding countries. They've already won.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

euphronius posted:

what do you think op

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Nah Qing dynasty never had border conflict with India but British did send an army to Tibet. However Qing Emperor did have influence as far as Leh city in modern day Pakistan.

To have a conflict to begin with in the 60s Mao had to send tons of material ahead of time up to Tibet from the Indian side (thru Bay of Bengal/calcutta route). Afterward the road was built so China could resupply Tibet from the Qinghai side.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

https://twitter.com/ElbridgeColby/status/1656309716354572289

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
eh, the qing and the sikh empires fought a war, and there were essentially firefights all the time since the late 50s until the 1990s.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

China doesn't need to Invade Pakistan or India, it controls Tibet which means they control the headwaters for almost every major river in the surrounding countries. They've already won.

Rivers don't come out of faucet, so the physical location of a river's headwaters means very little. The "discourse" about Himalayan water wars is mainly scaremongering.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

DancingShade posted:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/craighooper/2023/05/04/australia-and-the-us-must-combine-their-heavymedium-landing-ship-programs/

Yet another subversion of Australia's military planning. They're hard and fast this year.

Arguably Australia has been so bad at managing it historically this is a mercy. I am however wondering if the eventual endgame is replacing the emu & kangaroo with more stars and stripes or whether a technical legal distinction will remain useful.

The emu and kangaroo both have specialized tactical roles and are a unique strategic resource of Australia, if they go then it's all over

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

hm i don't like that guy

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

The unspoken bit here is that the US won't let TSMC fall into Chinese hands even if Taiwan peacefully reintegrates.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

but we have israel at home

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

These loving morons.... the analogy doesn't even make sense. If the Taiwanese want to burn TSMC to the ground, it's their loving decision. It doesn't mean the Americans can talk about burning down TSMC. I love that these morons can't even see the difference and keep speaking the quiet part aloud.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I wonder if taiwan has been watching the ukraine debacle and deciding that suicide bombing their enemy for the sake of someone else's empire isn't really a good deal

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

america is the goebbels murdering their own children in the final days of the third reich

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Mao claimed China and India had fought one and a half wars, the first war was during Tang Dynasty when a joint force of Chinese and Tibetans attacked the Harsha kingdom through Chumbi Pass between Sikkim and Nepal.
The ‘half war’ was the one fought by Tamerlane against Delhi Sultanate in 1398, counting as half a war because China was ruled by the Mongols at the time.

Grapplejack posted:

Headwaters and catchment are two very different things. For instance the Lhasa river flows at an average of 335 m^3/s and the Brahamaputra at 19,824 m^3/a. I think the former is the biggest flow they control out of the Ganges basin.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
If Mao says China and India have fought one and a half wars, and Mao is 70% correct, how many wars have they fought?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
1.05 wars. we lose the big 1 but did get a W on the 0.05 like a consolation prize.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Weka posted:

Mao claimed China and India had fought one and a half wars, the first war was during Tang Dynasty when a joint force of Chinese and Tibetans attacked the Harsha kingdom through Chumbi Pass between Sikkim and Nepal.
The ‘half war’ was the one fought by Tamerlane against Delhi Sultanate in 1398, counting as half a war because China was ruled by the Mongols at the time.

Headwaters and catchment are two very different things. For instance the Lhasa river flows at an average of 335 m^3/s and the Brahamaputra at 19,824 m^3/a. I think the former is the biggest flow they control out of the Ganges basin.

the brahmaputra/tsangpo is very ugly on a map

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tankbuster posted:

1.05 wars. we lose the big 1 but did get a W on the 0.05 like a consolation prize.

Consider that it could also be 2.14 wars

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Huh

Tamerlane ruled Afghanistan during the time china was ruled by the Ming

How does that make him chinese

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

crispyseaweed posted:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1655882866511806466

Now that Chinese people can travel we can go back to our regularly scheduled "Chinese tourists piss and spit" articles again, except this time they are slurping soup and not spending enough money.

lol at them interviewing the equivalent of helen lovejoy and home owners' association cranks and presenting them as representative

also lol:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

lol oh no people on a cheap vacation anything but that

HK's prestige is in shambles shambles

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Throatwarbler posted:

Huh

Tamerlane ruled Afghanistan during the time china was ruled by the Ming

How does that make him chinese

northern yuan were still hanging around in (both inner and outer) mongolia

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

quote:

One group offended local sensibilities by slurping cup noodles outside a public toilet in Repulse Bay, a beach redoubt of multimillion-dollar homes.

Is this praxis?

Sounds a lot like 'how dare our lessers exist in public spaces' that westerners say about the homeless, but in this case they are protected by the state instead of brutalised by them. Maybe this is why westerners are so horrified by what has happened to HK

lol most likely situation is that the budget tour bus stopped off at a rest stop and gave out some cup noodles as lunch on tour up the hills

stop giving any credence to the reports of HKers being disgusted with mainlanders, it's basically mild NYC-NJtownies social friction that was egged on and exaggerated by shitheads like jimmy lai and apple daily

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

DancingShade posted:

it's so hilarious that the official logo/slogan for the australia - us relationship is basically a kangaroo being hosed by an eagle

Only registered members can see post attachments!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Grapplejack posted:

iirc the vast majority of the water in india comes from clouds colliding with the mountains which i don't think even the infrastructure power of the belt and road could change

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

crepeface posted:

iirc the vast majority of the water in india comes from clouds colliding with the mountains which i don't think even the infrastructure power of the belt and road could change

Yeah the Weather Control Device is an Allied superweapon

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah the Weather Control Device is an Allied superweapon

it's a russian weapon!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

crepeface posted:

it's so hilarious that the official logo/slogan for the australia - us relationship is basically a kangaroo being hosed by an eagle

Lmao how is this real

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

2mates1ship

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
think it was always a hop skip and a jump from kabul to the khyber pass and into the highly populated indo gangetic plains in the punjab and beyond. The Sikh empire finally stopped the incessant raiding and the brits had the organization to keep the passes staffed on a permanent basis.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

1stGear posted:

The unspoken bit here is that the US won't let TSMC fall into Chinese hands even if Taiwan peacefully reintegrates.

USA: If China won't attack Taiwan we'll do it ourselves!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

DancingShade posted:

USA: If China won't attack Taiwan we'll do it ourselves!