Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

speng31b posted:

good post, cool pics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

There is a really depressing chart that shows Western (?) perceptions of which country did the greatest part in WW2, and over the years you can see the USSR go down, and America go up.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/DavidOAtkins/status/1655759046534918144

isn't this what liberals do when it comes to Ukraine?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

AnimeIsTrash posted:

There is a really depressing chart that shows Western (?) perceptions of which country did the greatest part in WW2, and over the years you can see the USSR go down, and America go up.

Here we go

https://www.vox.com/2014/6/16/5814270/the-successful-70-year-campaign-to-convince-people-the-usa-and-not

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
yeah the eastern front doesn't get much coverage in history classes

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Even in US museums, you'll sometimes find the US downplaying its own role/scope in the Pacific just to go hog wild on the European theater.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

mlmp08 posted:

Even in US museums, you'll sometimes find the US downplaying its own role/scope in the Pacific just to go hog wild on the European theater.

It's because the Fourteenth Army actually won the war.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Who is winning the fashion war?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Egg Moron posted:

Who is winning the fashion war?

Pretty strong contender here.

The NPC
Nov 21, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

If you're the one guy who can read Greek and have an in at the Hellenic military archives, and your supervisor/publisher will sign off on it, whatever you write about Greece in WW2, in English, will be The Book for a decade, since it's pretty much all you can find.

Isn't this just more incentive you should learn Russian/Ukrainian and dive into the archives to write a counter narrative for Galacia from the A-H empire to now? You would basically be the anti-NAFO. A single well sourced voice against a sea of blue checks.

Like rip your career but there are worse ways to go.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
There are practically no Western academics left in Russia working in the archives. It isn't illegal, but you do have to buy a separate ticket from Istanbul or Dubai and depending on circumstances, your credit card may be cancelled.

Russian/Soviet historical research has been made redundant.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Broke: NAFO fellas

Woke: Maria Theresa simps

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Samizdat24/status/1656378571458244608

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
US approves first transfer of seized Russian funds to Ukraine

quote:

United States Attorney General Merrick Garland has authorised the first transfer of funds seized from Russian oligarchs to aid Ukraine.

In a statement on Wednesday, Garland said the money seized from Russian oligarch Konstantin Malofeyev will go towards the war-torn country, which Russia invaded on February 24, 2022.

No stated dollar amount in the article, but the US has followed through on this threat.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Leandros posted:

The Edelweiss is a flower found in the Alps and has been a symbol of mountaineering in general (but also mountain units in particular) way before Nazism turned up.

This unit was formed with veterans of the Aidar Battalion.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/eur500402014en.pdf

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Just imagine giving Ukraine the benefit of the doubt on questionable nazi poo poo.

lol

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
chain probe thorn please

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Oof. Watch out with this line of thinking.

Some folks have a funny idea about the capital of Russa before Moscow was around.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The virgin hands off benefit of the doubt debatelord majorian vs the chad no mercy 10cc's of lead chain probing stalinist speng

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Btw, as far as the Russian budget goes, part of how it works is there is a reserve fund set aside to compensate the budget to stabilize the differences between high/low energy prices including from last year. There is still about $154 billion sitting in the account.

A good portion of the deficit would come from the "rainy day" account probably coupled with some more taxes/bonds.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 02:27 on May 11, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ghost of Kyiv twitter account

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The NPC posted:

Isn't this just more incentive you should learn Russian/Ukrainian and dive into the archives to write a counter narrative for Galacia from the A-H empire to now? You would basically be the anti-NAFO. A single well sourced voice against a sea of blue checks.

Like rip your career but there are worse ways to go.

I was gonna say, it was an RMC professor who wrote about how the perpetrators of the Holocaust in Ukraine were actually it’s victims if you think about it and by the way Stalin was worse.

I think maybe if I started with Skoda war trophies in Canada or something.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
And as far as the Russian budget goes, also a bunch of expenditures were pushed in the first Q1 which skewed it. According to the Russian Finance Ministry they are still aiming at a 2% target.

https://www.intellinews.com/russia-s-budget-to-go-back-into-surplus-277590/

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 02:45 on May 11, 2023

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

I hate to break it to you but the people in this thread constitute a very small minority in terms of opinions on how the war is going.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

OhFunny posted:

US approves first transfer of seized Russian funds to Ukraine

No stated dollar amount in the article, but the US has followed through on this threat.

"millions of dollars" That's change lost between the couch cushions compared to America's billions is pouring into Ukraine.

For a second I thought this was about the $300 billion of Russia's money frozen in western central banks. I believe legally that money still belongs to Russia (property rights!). War needs to be legally declared to seize that money and distribute it to Ukraine, which is probably why Ukraine keeps asking for it.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
unfortunately for Russia almost 70% of the discretionary spending in that 16 billion dollar deficit is paying for crews of people on the internet to target the enemies of the Russian state, and that operation is absolutely integral to the SMO and can not really be reduced. It's definitely a problem they'll have to reckon with going forward.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

the optics from the soldiers fleeing ain't looking too good for russia

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Starsfan posted:

unfortunately for Russia almost 70% of the discretionary spending in that 16 billion dollar deficit is paying for crews of people on the internet to target the enemies of the Russian state, and that operation is absolutely integral to the SMO and can not really be reduced. It's definitely a problem they'll have to reckon with going forward.

I'd consider a pay cut.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Cuttlefush posted:

chain probe thorn please

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

CODChimera posted:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

CODChimera posted:

Colbert is gonna do a sick burn monologue and putin will die of embarrassment

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The optics include 10 guys running in a field for a couple seconds and some other guys walking about on the edge of a forest.

It seems like it has boiled down to the Russian 72nd brigade withdrawing from some forward positions in front of a canal to behind the canal in anticipation of an attack. This was mostly open country/no man's land that was well south of Bakhmut itself.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 04:13 on May 11, 2023

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

CODChimera posted:

even if the Ukrainian offensive was utterly and decisively defeated there would still be incidents where Russian troops have to fall back. Even in the best scenario there is no way every single squad is going to hold the line and nor should they. That's not to say Russia is winning or losing, just that some Russian soldiers running away means nothing when isolated.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
riveting stuff. keep us posted.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
russia is babby look at babby feet running

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
oh god he's here

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
All I know about economics is made up numbers related to house flipping or commercial real estate collateral loans to drive up numbers on a spreadsheet are far more real than numbers based off some kind of physical production.

Who needs to mine, manufacture or grow food when you can just press enter on the computer keyboard?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Al-Saqr posted:

Speng must pay

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Al-Saqr posted:

Has bakhmut been captured yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
speng...