Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Saw all these posts and none of them are actually about the episode ha.

This one was much better than the last couple weeks, though that's not a high bar to clear. Not sure how I feel about Nate's story being wrapped up specifically in how Rupert treats women than anything to do with the job itself, but I guess that's Ted Lasso for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Jack getting the Poochie treatment I see.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Yeah Jack seems to be getting the same treatment as Zava, in the "Welp, they were here and now they're gone," vein.

It's pretty lazy writing, but that's sorta been a running theme for a lot of this season :(

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Data Graham posted:

I think it would probably be a fair guess to say that for well over half of Americans, the first time they've ever heard the term "Premier League" in their lives will have been on Ted Lasso.

Ding ding ding! It kinda messes with my understanding of the characters if they're all making millions of dollars. They were a lot more relatable when I thought it was a small team earning a liveable wage but nothing special, but now that I know that any of them could retire and never have to work another day in their lives... it kinda makes their troubles seem much more trivial, yknow? And oof, it really makes Ted seem like a lazy moron. Three years, making millions of dollars, and he's still just a "big picture" coach who doesn't know the slightest thing about soccer? It was funny the first year, and it would still be tolerable if he was just a minor league coach making $75 grand, but for the money they're giving him, he should be an expert by now if he had any work ethic whatsoever.

I did like this last episode, though! This is exactly how most episodes should have been structured -- there's a big game, something happens during the big game, we get some nice character work, and then the team resolves the issue and comes together in the end. It's literally Sports Fiction 101, and there's a reason why it works. Much better than 55 minutes of aimless romances and random plots that don't go anywhere.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

ilmucche posted:

i don't mean this from a doxxing point of view but where do you live that the premier league has 0 presence?

I think the real question is, what sort of “presence” would you expect a typical person to have exposure to the premier league?

From my apartment, in western NY, where I don’t watch cable, I have never seen a reference to the premier league. I don’t see people walking around with football paraphernalia, (or at least not something I would recognize since I don’t know anything about the teams) and I don’t go to bars where they might be playing games. I don’t see ads in the general community for it either.

Data Graham posted:

I think it would probably be a fair guess to say that for well over half of Americans, the first time they've ever heard the term "Premier League" in their lives will have been on Ted Lasso.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I literally forgot about Zava. This season is SUCH a mess lmao. But I feel more positive about this episode the more I think about it. A good template for a Tedless version of this show. I hope they can keep it up although I am of course skeptical

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Oh yeah, I want to see what articles would have been written had Rebecca let Beard finish out that press conference

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

I literally forgot about Zava. This season is SUCH a mess lmao. But I feel more positive about this episode the more I think about it. A good template for a Tedless version of this show. I hope they can keep it up although I am of course skeptical

I mean, it would have to be a straight-up spin-off, wouldn't it? Probably shouldn't call the show Ted Lasso after this season given Ted's not going to be in it, if they continue at all.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

I mean, it would have to be a straight-up spin-off, wouldn't it? Probably shouldn't call the show Ted Lasso after this season given Ted's not going to be in it, if they continue at all.

Yeah it’ll probably be called Richmond AFC or something. It’s been done before, like The Closer becoming Major Crimes.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Zava even nicely slots into Jamie's (again) realization that being a team player is good. Like, ok, Zava is a brilliant striker, but he essentially requires the entire team to play around him. Jamie doing his whole revelation speech about playing through him makes everyone else play better. There is a clear difference that fits in the shows themes and shows how they are very different and...nope, Zava just walks away for some reason.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Ted Lasso: Med School

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
certainly feels like they're wrapping up Roy's "Ted Lasso" story by setting him up to be Manager of AFC Richmond for the spin-off. Rebecca told him to get his head out of his rear end, be a leader, and take accountability.

agree this one was better than the last few.

I think they did a 'good, not great' job with the Colin/Isaac stuff. My wife and felt similar with the, I'm like 99% sure this won't be an issue, but still 1%?

That episode also spanned a few in-universe weeks at least? Henry and his issues are just in a freezer box? Glad they didn't make it longer to fit in another storyline, but it lends evidence to the 'too many storylines' issue.

Whatever their narrative intent was with the Jack storyline, along with the Zava line, I'm not sure. If we don't see them again this season (Jack is gone for a few in-universe months, at least) or those threads are 'closed' as it were, that'd be weird. Zava feels like they needed to give Jamie motivation to step up and be accountable, but if that were the case, I think they could have accomplished that another way that took less screen time. Zava is Poochie. With Jack, was there nothing else Keeley could be doing this whole time? I read somewhere the Keeley actress (blanking) had limited time to shoot, so that's why most of her scenes involve the PR set/Jack/Barbara/Shandy, with some limited Rebecca time, but basically no one else from the core cast, at least in any significant ways. Its like KJPR would be another spinoff, but its happening inside of an existing show.

Nate/Jade/Rupert, not sure where that's going either? Nate sees Rupert as a slimy dude. The scene in the bar felt like if it were a Telltale game, there's be a "Rupert will remember this decision" notification in the upper corner. He'll hurt Nate in some way later, in his lovely, manipulative Rupert way. Maybe embarrass him in front of Jade? Who knows, but that's a guess at this point.

Where Rebecca's story going? Baby? Psychic?

Then the rest of the core cast - Beard's story? Sam? Higgins?

Characters we will/won't see again before the end?
-Sassy?
-Phoebe?
-Boat man?
-Psychic?
-Rebecca's mom?
-Dr. Sharon?
-Jane?

3 episodes, probably 2.5-3 hours of show. One episode will be vs. West Ham at home, certainly. Description for next week brings back Edwin Akufo.

I'll stop rambling.

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 10, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I will expand on my "contrived" comment earlier by saying two things didn't really click for me about the gay reveal plot:

1) Isaac being mad at Colin because "you lied to me" is a weak twist when up to that point it had been set up through snubs and acid side-eye glances that he was actually homophobic.

2) The fight in the stands being instigated by one gasp-inducing slur wafting out of the roaring crowd kind of goes against everything I had been led to believe about soccer crowds and their famously impeccable levels of decorum

As a series of story beats it works well enough, but it all feels so belabored, like they're stretching for each handhold on the way there

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Currently I really hope Roy ends up head coach of Richmond and Nate ends up staying with West Ham but Rupert fucks off and their rivalry becomes friendly instead of serious. after this episode if Nate’s “redemption” involves him coaching Richmond again it would feel very unearned compared to Roy doing it.

also I miss Sharon

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Phenotype posted:

Ding ding ding! It kinda messes with my understanding of the characters if they're all making millions of dollars. They were a lot more relatable when I thought it was a small team earning a liveable wage but nothing special, but now that I know that any of them could retire and never have to work another day in their lives... it kinda makes their troubles seem much more trivial, yknow? And oof, it really makes Ted seem like a lazy moron. Three years, making millions of dollars, and he's still just a "big picture" coach who doesn't know the slightest thing about soccer? It was funny the first year, and it would still be tolerable if he was just a minor league coach making $75 grand, but for the money they're giving him, he should be an expert by now if he had any work ethic whatsoever.

Again, this is Major League: The Series: With Football and that will help your context a bit.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

but major league was actually funny. and well plotted.

and it had more than one baseball scene for every hour of movie.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Data Graham posted:

I will expand on my "contrived" comment earlier by saying two things didn't really click for me about the gay reveal plot:

1) Isaac being mad at Colin because "you lied to me" is a weak twist when up to that point it had been set up through snubs and acid side-eye glances that he was actually homophobic.

2) The fight in the stands being instigated by one gasp-inducing slur wafting out of the roaring crowd kind of goes against everything I had been led to believe about soccer crowds and their famously impeccable levels of decorum

As a series of story beats it works well enough, but it all feels so belabored, like they're stretching for each handhold on the way there

yeah big agree on #1. this show is not equipped to portray and explore actual conflict that arises from some of the issues they explore. sure maybe statistically there's at least one gay dude in your team but there's also likely to be a dude who is exceptionally uncomfortable about it (if not a massive prick).

re 2: might not necessarily have inspired it, but there is a relatively recent incident of a player going into the stands to fight a dude: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/04/eric-dier-confronts-fan-in-stands-after-tottenhams-fa-cup-defeat-to-norwich

also while my first instinct is to laugh at the yanks in here who don't know about the PL, the show does do such a loving bad job of picking and choosing which realities to reflect that i don't blame anyone for being confused about it

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Googling "Eric Cantina karate kick".

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Roy's press conference was really good.

Also Will continues to be the best.

"Seagulls are wretched creatures. They’ll steal your car keys right off your beach towel."

"It was worthwhile to meet you” and "He seems very wealthy and nice-like

Zero One fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 11, 2023

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Oh yeah, I forgot that I laughed out loud at Roy's genuine hurt over nobody defending his non-hairy rear end

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

latinotwink1997 posted:

I think the real question is, what sort of “presence” would you expect a typical person to have exposure to the premier league?

From my apartment, in western NY, where I don’t watch cable, I have never seen a reference to the premier league. I don’t see people walking around with football paraphernalia, (or at least not something I would recognize since I don’t know anything about the teams) and I don’t go to bars where they might be playing games. I don’t see ads in the general community for it either.

Albany NY (I know not western) has a dedicated soccer bar that has been around since around 2010. My footage of people celebrating Landon Donovan's goal against Algeria made it into the viral video of USMNT fans celebrating it with Rudy music. :smug:

I became interested in the EPL after the Cantona karate kick and playing FIFA games in the late 90s but it was admittedly a fringe hobby back then. Then in the mid to late 2000s Fox Soccer Channel broadcast live Premier League games and I was in heaven. Then NBC got the rights and it became even easier to follow. I see people with EPL gear pretty often, but maybe it's just because I recognize it?

At any rate if anyone is interested in learning more about the EPL I listened to a book called The Club by Joshua Robinson and Jonathan Clegg and it was really interesting. It briefly covers the origins of the game, then the dark hooligan era and the story of how it became the most popular sports league in the world.

As for the episode: a return to form. Solid mix of decent soccer action and character development that hit in the feels without being too heavy handed (for the most part). Rupert is def going to try to bang Jade.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

Data Graham posted:

Yeah that was so loving dumb, I could tell exactly what they were trying to go for the whole time and basically saw it coming, a big :rolleyes: twist oh you think he's homophobic? OH YEAH!? He sure looks homophobic right guys? How bout that silent walkaway from the episode before that teed it up that it could go either way, did you guess which way it was gonna go? I guessed it.

Fricken please, it was my "what's the stupidest idea" prediction too, that'd they'd use Isaac is he/isn't he homophobic as a big twist.

I laughed at defo get boners though

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I know that when someone unwillingly comes out to me after being friends with them for a long time my reaction is "glare at them and make them guess what I'm pissed off at, which they have every reason to believe is the bombshell information that just came out"

I certainly wouldn't be like "Oh wow, hey don't worry, your secret's safe with me, but I'm kinda hurt you didn't want to confide in me you know? Anyway not that it matters, this is about you not me, I don't mean to add to your pressures, you don't owe me anything"

That would be crazy

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
It would make sense if we had had more evidence showing Isaac taking the captainship seriously as being the core of the team and someone that people can confide in. But the show really hasn’t focused on him since S2E5.

Maybe the writers think that about his character, but they haven’t shown it and instead wasted tons of time on storylines not connected to the team. Or as much as I love Sam as a character, it’s odd to be to make Isaac the enigma when he’s the captain. can’t have it both ways.

anyway good straightforward episode. wish we had more of those. Roy’s presser was fantastic.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Nybble posted:

It would make sense if we had had more evidence showing Isaac taking the captainship seriously as being the core of the team and someone that people can confide in. But the show really hasn’t focused on him since S2E5.

Maybe the writers think that about his character, but they haven’t shown it and instead wasted tons of time on storylines not connected to the team. Or as much as I love Sam as a character, it’s odd to be to make Isaac the enigma when he’s the captain. can’t have it both ways.

To be fair, he is the team captain.

I thought this was a good episode funny and going for the right message though yah the reveal was cliched and could see it from a mile away. I know they didn't want to steal Colin's plot but having Isaac come out too or having some sort of connection to the LGBTQ community would of made more sense. Or the whole, I was a bully and don't want to be again would of made sense too.

Roy's story reminds of the A's fan that was heckling a player about a miscarriage and one of the players throwing a chair that sadly hit someone else.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I also didn’t like the Isaac twist; it’d have been much more effective if he was just plain homophobic to begin with. Because homophobia is a massive problem in football and it’s fantasy to not reckon with it.

That said, he could also be fibbing at the end. It’s hard to admit you viscerally hated your teammate. A full, bloody confession isn’t always the best way to move forward.

Part of why I’d like to think that is because I really did enjoy this episode. All the jokes landed, all the stories resonated, from the A plot to the C plot. I teared up at one point. And there was even a bit of real football. All this after I spent a week making GBS threads on this show. I can’t believe how wild the swing was.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
The shot-reverse shot with precise framing over and over again to cover up Juno Temple not being available at the same time as Jason Sudeikis during the conversation with Ted, Keeley, and Rebecca blatantly stands out against the rest of the editing and camera work in the episode.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Keely probably should’ve gone on that vacation at the end of season 2, and just stayed there.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

"You, new Trent."

"I like you better than old Trent."

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
This episode had some moments that felt like like the Ted Lasso I fell in love with. Still not up to snuff with season 1, but there were some great moments.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

deoju posted:

This episode had some moments that felt like like the Ted Lasso I fell in love with. Still not up to snuff with season 1, but there were some great moments.
Agreed. It was a good episode. The only huge miss was Isaac, I thought, as said earlier.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
There was also the completely bizarre dressing down of Roy from Rebecca. Where the hell did that come from and why is it any of her concern?

The whole thing reeked of "weird inconsistent character moment to serve the one episode plotline"

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I mean he directly disobeyed a request from his boss and as a result beard lost his poo poo in the presser forcing Rebecca to do damage control. I dont think it’s that weird, unless you mean why write the arc at all (could make sense if he becomes head coach)

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Regarding the Rebecca-Roy scene: maybe it was just me but I was getting some vague undertones of Rebecca hinting that Roy’s unwillingness to commit to his responsibilities was why he and Keely’s relationship fell apart. Which is all well and good if it’s meant to be taken introspectively on Roy’s part and lead him to step up in his future relationships. But what I think is actually going to happen is he’s going to show how he can be “mature” which will lead to Keely going “oh wow he’s so much better now!” and then they ultimately get back together.

Which…..ehhhhhhhh

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Tweak posted:

I mean he directly disobeyed a request from his boss and as a result beard lost his poo poo in the presser forcing Rebecca to do damage control. I dont think it’s that weird, unless you mean why write the arc at all (could make sense if he becomes head coach)

The first part of her going off was fine, but then the complete swerve with "what do you want in life?" and "your sad sack mopey shtick is tiresome" was completely irrelevant to the situation.

But yeah, I guess if she's grooming him for head coach it's fine. Maybe I'm too harsh.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

yea it definitely felt like that was included because of him breaking up with Keely at the very least

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Looten Plunder posted:

The first part of her going off was fine, but then the complete swerve with "what do you want in life?" and "your sad sack mopey shtick is tiresome" was completely irrelevant to the situation.
The second part doesn’t seem irrelevant if he’s your employee.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

And, y'know, they're buds. He dated one of her best friends, they've definitely spent time together and have gotten to know one another in a non-workplace capactiy. And it's not like this is the first time one of them has half lectured the other (Roy after the double date last season).

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I think they’ll tease Keeley and Roy or Jaimie and how they’ve both grown up but I think they’ll ultimately settle with she doesn’t need anyone right now after all and to be happy with herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Unless I missed it, which is entirely possible, it was a bit loving weird that the episode about a gay playing coming out to his team didn't... actually have him saying "I'm gay" to his team. If I remember correctly, he said that McAdoo wasn't gay, they cut away, they cut back and everyone is accepting it. It may be a bit too TVIV of me but it was also kind of strange that the focus was more on McAdoo's reaction than the actual gay player.

The rest of the episode was... fine, I guess. I still don't care about Nate or know why we're supposed to care about him. He flips between nice romantic boyfriend and weird psycho manager (and not in the fun way Kent did).