Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

ob21 posted:

...PBS has recently aired La Frontera, an interesting series hosted by Pati Jinich. The amazingly functional trans-border communities that exist on the US/Mexico border from San Diego to Brownsville are a model for what many US urban areas will inevitably become...richly multi-cultural economies that thrive in their diversity. Tens of thousands of people commute DAILY across the border, and stunning amounts of truck commerce goes back and forth as well. Even cattle flow almost freely across the border. Immigration reform is unarguably needed, but The Wall is not only stupid...it's just absurdly loving stupid.

Pati is awesome. She taught me enough to gain the approval of the mother in law. I am now one of two with access to the family recipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Tiny Timbs posted:

There is something deeply wrong with people who put themselves through this in their elderly years. Find a loving hobby and retire already.

People want to feel important and like they matter a little. After you reach your peak, which is usually like 45-55 or so for men, its just a long decline which is extremely depressing if not handled right. Thats like a brief synopsis of the psychology from what I remember, hopefully someone actually knows. It basically means people want to cling to importance, just having a hobby isn't enough.

Edit: My dad is a perfect example of this. He's 77 and still working as a facility manager at a university cause they let him do whatever and never ask his hours and he only costs them $150k. He has his army pension and medical, multiple rental units that he rents below market, and still works as a general contractor (he charges outrageous premiums for this though). If he stopped working he would probably die the next day. He isn't rich so much as he has everything he wants within 30 minutes of him and just wants to work part time without a lot of oversight, stay occupied and maintain a role in the community.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 11, 2023

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

CBJSprague24 posted:

Two minutes into this and :smugdon: is immediately off the rails with all the greatest hits.

Aaron Rupar is suffering through it if you don't want to:
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1656441717665538051

So glad that CNN is working on pivoting to being Fox News 2. :cripes:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Same, I can't wait for them to shutter.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
It's always weird to see people say "Biden shouldn't be reelected, he's too old" when Grandpa Naranja has no new material and just steamrolls and the Republican crowd eats it up.

(I'm not watching)

But at least it's general election ammunition. The public won't be able to make excuses about knowing what he is, what he's done, and what he will do.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Kaitlan Collins tried to fact-check him earlier and is just getting ragdolled at this point.

https://twitter.com/TheRickWilson/status/1656453623763566596

He also literally just said he doesn't care if the government defaults because he's not President.

This is the embodiment of what's horribly wrong with this country. She tried to hold his feet to the fire, he's spewing verbal diarrhea, and members of the audience are saying "spew it in MY mouth, My President! ME! OVER HERE!"

e- All these questions have been canned. The voters are reading them off strips of paper.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 11, 2023

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Now we’ve had the first 2nd amendment question from the crowd.

Time to explain that we must annihilate the trans population to stop their heinous plan to genocide all non-trans, and also arm teachers and make schools into fortresses and make sure everyone carries a gun at all times

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Why doesn't someone just say "that is a lie" interrupting him in the middle of every sentence? Surely this simple tactic will short circuit his brain and pull the wool away from the eyes of the Republican voting public, furthermore :words:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Arrath posted:

Why doesn't someone just say "that is a lie" interrupting him in the middle of every sentence? Surely this simple tactic will short circuit his brain and pull the wool away from the eyes of the Republican voting public, furthermore :words:

Because there's probably some backwoods, neckbearded MAGAt that would beat the poo poo out of them before they could finish the sentence.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Yeah the only true-news way of dealing with Donnie is offline truth sandwiches. The fact is that x, Donnie says y, but that is a lie/incorrect because x. Can't do the truth sandwich in real-time surrounded by his fans. Dumb idea.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

Yeah the only true-news way of dealing with Donnie is offline truth sandwiches. The fact is that x, Donnie says y, but that is a lie/incorrect because x. Can't do the truth sandwich in real-time surrounded by his fans. Dumb idea.

So is CNN still part of the fake news, I wonder?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CBJSprague24 posted:

So is CNN still part of the fake news, I wonder?

Probably will be saying "even the fake news says" when here's the moderator's bonafides:

https://twitter.com/AllezLesBoulez/status/1656459305535635456?t=bd1BS8myfza_658EEWYxUw&s=19

Edit: lol here's a general ad

https://twitter.com/sppeoples/status/1656459015235203091?t=0z085pSEF0uJeJ-V5NHhKA&s=19

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

He's been interrupting Collins all night and just got mad that she did it. "See? This is what she does."

Also, this feels like the end of Kaitlan Collins' career.

e- Yep, he's just straight up trashing her right now. "You're a NASTY person."

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 11, 2023

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
he gave her a nasty woman? :lol:

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/pptsapper/status/1655932893594517504?t=Z0TdtxrPwF5LQu4dOjaXYA&s=19

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

I can hear the shrieking and wailing from here.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

bird food bathtub posted:

I can hear the shrieking and wailing from here.

It's not a bad choice locally since he's a Tejas.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

He's been interrupting Collins all night and just got mad that she did it. "See? This is what she does."

Also, this feels like the end of Kaitlan Collins' career.

e- Yep, he's just straight up trashing her right now. "You're a NASTY person."
I suspect CNN put her up because she got banned from some events by the Trump administration when she was in the WH press pool and they thought this would be some kind of revenge for her, but good grief how bad do you suck to get dunked on by Trump like this.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Benning's name change to Moore is supposed to be tomorrow and there's a ton of salty local vets who couldn't even tell you who Benning was. You'd think if anything they'd be on board with renaming it after a guy played by Mel Gibson but :lol:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Midjack posted:

I suspect CNN put her up because she got banned from some events by the Trump administration when she was in the WH press pool and they thought this would be some kind of revenge for her, but good grief how bad do you suck to get dunked on by Trump like this.

Trump is just good at it. If you give him the microphone he will verbal diarrhea his way over you. He does not care about facts, respect, or decorum. Anyone who goes into an interview or debate with him expecting it won't get it, and the press is nothing if not absolutely hung on not losing access to him because he's incredible for ratings.

Don't get me wrong, he's a complete fuckup and a horrible excuse for a human being, but he didn't become President by not knowing how to control his image.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Can he please just have a loving coronary or pancreatic cancer already?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
You want that to happen like a week before the election so we can get max humor and Desantis won't have the time to build momentum

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

You want that to happen like a week before the election so we can get max humor and Desantis won't have the time to build momentum

The GOP, the morning after election night: "There's nothing in the rules saying an embalmed corpse can't be president!"

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Milo and POTUS posted:

We already got him a few weeks before an election on video bragging about sexual assault & not only did it not make him lose, his wife & evangelical VP stayed loyal. Keep him as far away from everything as possible.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Kazinsal posted:

The GOP, the morning after election night: "There's nothing in the rules saying an embalmed corpse can't be president!"

Weekend At Bernie's Would've Won

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Hyrax Attack! posted:

We already got him a few weeks before an election on video bragging about sexual assault & not only did it not make him lose, his wife & evangelical VP stayed loyal. Keep him as far away from everything as possible.

Are you suggesting that a dead donald trump could win the presidency?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Milo and POTUS posted:

Against Hillary?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

"North Korea has an eternal president!"

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Milo and POTUS posted:

i could see it happening. lets hope his vp pick isn't too insane, oh nevermind it will be desantis :lol:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ded posted:

i could see it happening. lets hope his vp pick isn't too insane, oh nevermind it will be desantis :lol:

not a chance in hell, Meatball Ron already hurt his feelings

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

shame on an IGA posted:

not a chance in hell, Meatball Ron already hurt his feelings

Yup. They’ll find some quiet failson somewhere that wont stand up to him that plays nice with the evangelicals.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

ASAPI posted:

Pati is awesome. She taught me enough to gain the approval of the mother in law. I am now one of two with access to the family recipes.

I'm late to this but this needs credit as an S-tier accomplishment. That respect doesn't come cheap.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I'm late to this but this needs credit as an S-tier accomplishment. That respect doesn't come cheap.

I grew up cooking, but "real" mexican was alien to me. I had to relearn how to use some spices, when and where. Having skills to build off of was the only way to succeed. I would have failed otherwise.

ob21
Aug 21, 2017

ASAPI posted:

I grew up cooking, but "real" mexican was alien to me. I had to relearn how to use some spices, when and where. Having skills to build off of was the only way to succeed. I would have failed otherwise.

...same here. I've been getting into Mexican for the past few months, and not a day goes by that I am not humbled by what I don't know. I've come to the conclusion that most American home cooks are as ignorant about real food and cooking fundamentals as they are about almost everything else. It's sad, especially when one takes into consideration that many people don't cook at all.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

ob21 posted:

...same here. I've been getting into Mexican for the past few months, and not a day goes by that I am not humbled by what I don't know. I've come to the conclusion that most American home cooks are as ignorant about real food and cooking fundamentals as they are about almost everything else. It's sad, especially when one takes into consideration that many people don't cook at all.

The cooking skills of the average American are depressing. That being said, I don't know how the average person would pick up those skills unless they were in a situation to practice them like I was growing up. Otherwise they are forced to look up tutorials for virtually everything (which explains many of the youtube cooking channels).

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Being able to look up tutorials for cooking is practically a miracle of technology. Can’t have a dozen grandmas from multiple continents.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Trump being very honest on GOP debt ceiling / default rationale, via politico/CNN:

quote:

When Collins noted that Trump had said that as president it was wrong for Democrats to use the prospect of default as a negotiating tactic, he responded that he had said that “when I was president.”

“So why is it different now?” Collins asked. “Because I’m not president,” Trump shot back.

quiet part out loud

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

pmchem posted:

quiet part out loud

that's been Trump's entire MO

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

At least he admitted he isn't President.

The whole show was stupid. He isn't even a declared candidate, and giving him a platform does nothing worthwhile. They should have cut his feed as soon as he refused to admit he lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

bulletsponge13 posted:

At least he admitted he isn't President.

The whole show was stupid. He isn't even a declared candidate, and giving him a platform does nothing worthwhile. They should have cut his feed as soon as he refused to admit he lost.

CNN's new president likely supports Trump. Dude is straight up conservative.