Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

NeoRonTheNeuron posted:

(Also, Rooster found the pen, didn't he?)

Probably; in the previous game, he clearly knew about a bunch of dirty laundry of the others, and the simplest explanation is that he found the blackmail material.

Here's my sneaking suspicion: this games are all a ruse in order to search for the missing blackmail material. The contestants aren't people connected to the crime, but people who could have gotten in from Aaron Morris, either intentionally or by happenstance. It's the only real reason for Dragon and Mouse to be there: Dragon frequented the same bar and could've taken it without remembering it, Mouse is the daughter of his now dead defense attorney, so she could've inherited it even if she didn't personally meet Aaron Morris. Now, if that's the case it's still unclear why Snake, Dragon and Mouse specifically needed to die in the first game, but it would explain why Dog was killed, since it sounds like he'd either put it all together or was on the verge of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

ZCKaiser posted:

Now, if that's the case it's still unclear why Snake, Dragon and Mouse specifically needed to die in the first game, but it would explain why Dog was killed, since it sounds like he'd either put it all together or was on the verge of it.

That conundrum is solved if you assume the games have different goals - game 1 has to kill those 3 for reasons only organizers know, but game 2 wants to find the blackmail. That also falls in with them having different organizers.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

Regallion posted:

That conundrum is solved if you assume the games have different goals - game 1 has to kill those 3 for reasons only organizers know, but game 2 wants to find the blackmail. That also falls in with them having different organizers.

I don't think it's quite so simple since Dragon and Mouse were still chosen for game 1 in spite of having little connection to the case. Rather, I think there were two different motivations at play for game 1: Brian's desire for revenge and/or to prove the conspiracy against his dad existed, and the accomplice's goal of killing Snake, Dragon, Mouse and Brian. And my money's on the accomplice being motivated by the blackmail (or being paid/coerced by someone who is, since I get the feeling the police chief is probably behind at least some of this).

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

NeoRonTheNeuron posted:

So I know everyone wants to leave as fast as possible, but there are 12 rounds.

There was no need to rush to collect or rip up cards.

Sure, you should collect for the designated winner. But you only need a few people collecting.
8 people can guaranteed rip up cards from the designated winner. 2 traitors won't pose a problem unless they are paired with each other.

With Dog's body gone and the low production value of this game, this could still be a massive fakeout.

Actually I think trying to destroy the cards of your designated winner as quickly as possible is the correct decision.

If winner cards aren’t destroyed immediately then traitors have a chance to pick them up, and then nothing can be done about it. Only the player themselves can remove a card from their hand, and you die if you use another player’s computer. So if you found out who took the card, and killed them, you still couldn’t fix things. And it may be difficult to track down who took the card in the first place. Check only tells you how many cards people have, not what cards they have and the only other information you get is learning how many points each player has at the end of 2 rounds.

And a traitor could win in 3 turns so there’s a reason for them to rush to collect things and to not want to waste too many actions.

Also the cat definitely fudged things to deal out the worst possible set of cards after they decided to designate Tiger as their chosen winner. And since they did that, it’s reasonable to assume the cat may fudge other things too.

The main things I would’ve changed about their plan is
a) make destroying winner cards the absolute priority, but honestly if the cat is fudging things (and you can’t communicate after seeing the card draw) then it’s difficult to create a foolproof method to do this. If you split the group into 4x teams of 3, each responsible for destroying 1 winner’s card then there’s still a potential weakness if you end up with a group of 2 traitors+dog. And having now seen that cat is fudging the card draws, cat could pick out the cards that traitors need whilst avoiding the cards that players need.
b) Rather than having players be responsible for picking up their own card and passing it to the designated winner, have players be responsible for picking up their opposite’s card. If a player picks up their own card it’s worth 3 points so it puts traitors (or even just panicky selfish people) closer to winning if they decided to break from the plan. T1 pick up own card, T2 pick up own card. End of round 2 seeing the player unexpectedly on 6 points is the first warning that other players get that someone is breaking the plan. Then round 3 they could win if they pick up their own card again (other players should try to grab it to stop it from happening but something could go wrong somehow). The alternative where players are grabbing cards worth -3 doesn’t have this flaw.

NeoRonTheNeuron posted:

(Also, Rooster found the pen, didn't he?)

You mean, Rooster found the knife with the USB drive in it?

I don’t think so. When Dog has Mouse+Snake+Dragon captured he says he pulled out the knife during the death game to see if it provoked any reactions. And he says he thought it did. Well looking back at the scene the person who reacts the most is Rooster, who “wants to play with it”. So Rooster is probably who Dog was referring to, and my read of the situation is that Rooster was looking for Amadeus Bowen’s knife for the blackmail material but didn’t realise that Oliver Bowen had an identical knife (which is the one Dog had). And when Dog refuses to let him play with it he complains to Monkey that Dog is being mean, Monkey being the other likely traitor.

That said, during the imaginary routes at the start of the game Dog does pull out the knife at points so if those sections are Monkey predicting actions then Monkey herself must know about Oliver’s knife. Possibly she just didn’t inform Rooster about it though.

ZCKaiser posted:

Here's my sneaking suspicion: this games are all a ruse in order to search for the missing blackmail material. The contestants aren't people connected to the crime, but people who could have gotten in from Aaron Morris, either intentionally or by happenstance. It's the only real reason for Dragon and Mouse to be there: Dragon frequented the same bar and could've taken it without remembering it, Mouse is the daughter of his now dead defense attorney, so she could've inherited it even if she didn't personally meet Aaron Morris. Now, if that's the case it's still unclear why Snake, Dragon and Mouse specifically needed to die in the first game, but it would explain why Dog was killed, since it sounds like he'd either put it all together or was on the verge of it.

Agreed that the knife seems like a driving factor.
And current best guesses for why those 3 were targeted.

Dragon - Dragon saw something incriminating when she was at Dog’s bar. However she was blackout drunk at the time so she doesn’t know what she saw. However the mastermind doesn’t know this so wants to get rid of her.
Snake - Snake possibly saw something incriminating when staring out of waiting room in Bowen’s building, he just hasn’t realised the importance of it yet. So the mastermind wants to get rid of him to remove that problem.

Mouse - Also agree that the best guess for why Mouse was targeted is if she somehow inherited Bowen’s knife from her father. Without realising it herself. Which might explain why Mouse was brought in as a replacement for the judge. He was another possibility for who held the knife but was ruled out. And I realise “defense attorney has some secret piece of evidence” isn’t how things are supposed to work but considering how super corrupt the police in this town are and that the police were specifically looking for the knife, there is a reason whysomeone didn’t trust the police with it.

Another possibility is that Mouse is privy to some theory that blows the case wide open, but that seems less likely to me.

So I think it’s possible for the death game to have multiple objectives - tie up lose ends, and retrieve the knife.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
:psyduck: guys I think I’m really bad at both mysteries and (death) game theory. I got lost in the whirlwind of cards on tables, completely.

That said, it’s interesting how they’re compressing each character’s, like, essential info into a single talk with Mouse. The format screw here where Mouse is doing essentially Ace Attorney stuff stripped down is pretty interesting.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

If we're going for Monkey + Rooster as the conspirators where Monkey has hypnotised Mouse then they could want to kill Mouse just to clean up the 'evidence' that they did so. Then their two actual targets are just Dragon and Snake.

I agree that there are two different conspiracies at work here. I think the big thing to figure out is who was involved in setting up the first game and who was involved in setting up the second. Because it clearly isn't the same group of people.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Nephthys posted:

If we're going for Monkey + Rooster as the conspirators where Monkey has hypnotised Mouse then they could want to kill Mouse just to clean up the 'evidence' that they did so. Then their two actual targets are just Dragon and Snake.

I agree that there are two different conspiracies at work here. I think the big thing to figure out is who was involved in setting up the first game and who was involved in setting up the second. Because it clearly isn't the same group of people.

Except Monkey is the only contestant Cat has reacted to in the initital rule explanation, coincidentally when showing off what happens if you break the rules. That part stuck out.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Marluxia posted:

Except Monkey is the only contestant Cat has reacted to in the initital rule explanation, coincidentally when showing off what happens if you break the rules. That part stuck out.

I will say that that may not be a true 'reaction', it could have been a very well-timed pre-recording that had Monkey's 'protest' being planned.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Mouse: "If I had depression I would simply cheer up. It's that easy, you should try it."

ApplesandOranges posted:

I will say that that may not be a true 'reaction', it could have been a very well-timed pre-recording that had Monkey's 'protest' being planned.

That's my assumption too. The interruption is pre-planned for Monkey to 'interrupt' and get shocked. That shock is a 'warning' for anyone else who tries to interrupt to die or be hurt more. This means that unlike the previous game, nobody else is willing to risk interrupting the speech the way Dog did. It's pretty clear. Cat is almost entirely pre-programmed as recordings, and so can't actually react to unexpected events.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

so, not to interrupt any conversation that's gonna happen before next update, but I do have something to ask the thread here, since believe it or not we ARE heading towards the end of the game :v: Specifically, more of a temperature check on what people would be interested in for the game I LP after this. I actually have two games already prepared, both with the first few updates already done (...one actually has like a full month of updates already, oops), but I've been indecisive about which I want to do next. It's basically split between the next game in this series, or something different by a different creator first to shake things up a bit :v: They're both about the same in length and I do plan to do both, its just a matter of which one I do first. I'll say regardless of which we end up doing, it'll be a different vibe since neither involve death games, but both do involve mystery solving- the one by a different creator being a bit more traditional murder mystery-ish stuff, whereas the second game in this series is a bit closer to stuff like 428/13 Sentinels in which you follow different perspectives and gradually piece together a larger picture the deeper into the story you get. :eng101:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm less familiar with the next game in this series, but I would know nothing about the other one, so I'm going to go with the murder mystery by someone who isn't Themis.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Junpei posted:

I'm less familiar with the next game in this series, but I would know nothing about the other one, so I'm going to go with the murder mystery by someone who isn't Themis.

oh there is more than one murder mystery, in fact i would argue that the other game possibly is in contention for having the most murder mysteries in a VN to date :eng101:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm down with just continuing this Themis bunny hole.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

Mix. posted:

so, not to interrupt any conversation that's gonna happen before next update, but I do have something to ask the thread here, since believe it or not we ARE heading towards the end of the game :v: Specifically, more of a temperature check on what people would be interested in for the game I LP after this. I actually have two games already prepared, both with the first few updates already done (...one actually has like a full month of updates already, oops), but I've been indecisive about which I want to do next. It's basically split between the next game in this series, or something different by a different creator first to shake things up a bit :v: They're both about the same in length and I do plan to do both, its just a matter of which one I do first. I'll say regardless of which we end up doing, it'll be a different vibe since neither involve death games, but both do involve mystery solving- the one by a different creator being a bit more traditional murder mystery-ish stuff, whereas the second game in this series is a bit closer to stuff like 428/13 Sentinels in which you follow different perspectives and gradually piece together a larger picture the deeper into the story you get. :eng101:

Do whichever you wanna do first!

That said, my vote is for the sequel to this, I’m enjoying the mindfuckery.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Zodiac Trial may have some rough parts, but it's been a great time overall. I'm happy to go with the sequel. Regardless of what you LP, it should be a good time.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Whatever floats your boat.

E: or sinks it. I'm not the coast guard.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Which one do you already have a month's worth of updates ready for? I'd vote for that one - you've already put in the effort there, might as well take a break when you can

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
"Thanks, Mouse, I'm cured!"

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Also why does Mouse continue to be a jerk to Sheep?

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord

dervival posted:

Which one do you already have a month's worth of updates ready for? I'd vote for that one - you've already put in the effort there, might as well take a break when you can

^

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Also why does Mouse continue to be a jerk to Sheepeveryone?

It's weird. It feels like most of the game she's pretty compassionate, but she's just going full on judges rear end in a top hat mode for everyone here. I don't think this is the first route she's done this flip on either.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Mix. posted:

oh there is more than one murder mystery, in fact i would argue that the other game possibly is in contention for having the most murder mysteries in a VN to date :eng101:

this one

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

FoolyCharged posted:

It's weird. It feels like most of the game she's pretty compassionate, but she's just going full on judges rear end in a top hat mode for everyone here. I don't think this is the first route she's done this flip on either.

She's generally nice to Tiger, Ox, and Monkey, irritated by Snake, Rooster and Sheep(?), kinda goes either way on Dragon and Dog.

I mean I can understand Snake and Rooster, but I can't figure out why she's always snippy to Sheep.

CremePudding
Oct 30, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

To be fair, she's on her second death game, with only an uncomfortable extended sleepover with Dragon and Snake in a dingy Dog basement :v:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

NeoRonTheNeuron posted:

Zodiac Trial may have some rough parts, but it's been a great time overall. I'm happy to go with the sequel. Regardless of what you LP, it should be a good time.

this

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
I vote the sequel! This has been a genuinely good game and I've had a great time playing along and speculating on the mystery, so I'm definitely curious where a sequel would take all this.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

I wonder if Mouse's dad disliked Sheep during the murder trial or something, and that poisoned Mouse against her? Remember, we're not working in a perfect vacuum here...

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

My very-not-checking-previous-updates take is that actual!Mouse is much less obliging than mind-experiment!Mouse, and I expect that to be a pressing issue for our Cat going forward. No matter how much you think you know someone, you can't really know them. You know? Unless you mind-control them, but even that has its limits...

Oh, and I'll be satisfied no matter what you LP next, but my preference would be the sequel to this.

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Ooh, there's a sequel to the Zodiac Trial?

I'd like to see a LP of that! :allears:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

mycelia posted:

Oh, and I'll be satisfied no matter what you LP next, but my preference would be the sequel to this.

Yeah I also vote for the sequel if only because a break for a different game in between will give me more time to probably forget a ton of the story details, lol

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

There's a sequel? We gotta check that out.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Binged the whole thread in like 10 days, this is some good poo poo. I think the mastermind of the first game and possibly the second has gotta be monkey. When the real game happened and the board reveals that dragon and snake had survived, she said something like “wha-?” This must have been because dog outsmarted her and her perfect plans weren’t perfect. Combine that with the conspicuous “warning” she got for disobeying cat in game 2 and she’s looking mighty suspicious.

Also, if the punishment that the death game collar/cumberbund or whatever it is that’s threatening them in game two is just a bomb that blows you up, then what did it do to monkey to make her react that way to the warning? Does it have knives for disobedience and a bomb for not voting?

Also I vote for the sequel since there’s a lot going on in this plot so fresher memories of this game would be helpful when going through another game in the series.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

[BGM: Silence]

Monkey was Brian's therapist. Surely her input on this would be insightful. I went to ask her about that.

[BGM: See No Evil]

It's something of a breach of patient-client confidentiality, but at this point, I suppose that's a bit of a moot point. Anyways, I don't think you'll get much out of me.

I tried to approach Brian on his own terms, but that appears to have backfired somewhat. I should have stomped out his delusions at the root.

You entertained his delusions?

I let him talk out his ideas. It's often a useful tool to help people come to their senses on their own. But, for some reason... my guidance wasn't working.

It was almost like he was somehow getting worse with every session.

Worse?

And it's more than just that. It was as though...

His theories, his delusions, about what happened with his father and how corrupt the system and society was, they'd become more elaborate. ...No, elaborate is not the right word.

Detailed. It was though he was becoming more and more knowledgeable on the topic. And as he was becoming more knowledgeable, he was becoming more convinced in his world view.

Monkey sighed.

At some point, I definitely should have shifted tactics. I knew I was dealing with a larger scale sort of case. But... I thought that just meant I had to take my time with him.

Not that it would lead to this...

Anyways, I don't know if any of that was helpful to you.

Oh, I think it was.

Good to hear.

Well, I'm gonna keep investigating things on my end.

You do that. But Mouse?

No. Mary?

My heart stopped for a second. It had been... a while, since somebody had referred to me by my real name.

...Yes?

Please don't overextend yourself. I know all of this is doing a number on you. I just... don't want you to break.

Ha, yeah, well... I get the feeling I'll need a lot more sessions after this.

Indeed. Perhaps we should try hypnotherapy again.

Oh God, please, no. Three long and boring sessions were enough for me, thank you.

What can I say? I was very curious if it would work.

Well, you got your answer.

That I did.

I smiled. It was nice, through all of the chaos and tragedy, that I at least had Monkey to fall back on.

Mouse...

BGM: Silence]

In all seriousness, are you doing okay?

… I'm actually in a pretty bad state.

Heh, well. That is to be expected, no?

I'd say.

Remember to take things easy. Obviously, desperate times and desperate measures and all that. But don't underestimate the power of a clear mind.

I won't.

And with that, our conversation came to an end. And I left the classroom with an interesting fact under my belt.

Pig was a journalist at the time. Not just that, she was perhaps the only totally unbiased perspective in all of this. Surely asking her about the incident could be useful.

[BGM: Final Squeal]

Ah, sorry, I don't know if I'm really going to be useful about all that.

poo poo.

I thought you reported on it at the time?

I did!

But that was a while ago, and I do a lot of reporting about a lot of things on top of my other couple of jobs. The details I know are fuzzy, probably a lot fuzzier than yours are. I don't think I could be of any help at all. Sorry.

I sighed.

I get if I just asked you about a case from thin air how it'd be difficult for you. But after all this happened, and you got free, surely you'd go back and re-look at the case, right?

I've been way too busy for that! After all, this new case is way more mysterious!

Alright, is there anything to know about the Zodiac Trial then?

drat straight there is! There's a ton of weird details about this thing that don't make a lick of sense!

Like, take Rooster and Sheep's kidnappings. The investigation surrounding it shows that they happened at different locations miles apart, but they happened a couple of minutes within each other.

I mean, the timeline's rough and all, but with generous assumptions on all regards, it doesn't make sense that a single teenager could handle everything.

That is concerning.

And that's not all! Did you know pretty much every aspect of the Zodiac Race that wasn't automated could be controlled via a custom app Brian created?

Really?

Yeah, and he installed that app on two separate burner phones. Why two? In fact, why put them on phones at all? He could also control it from the laptop that was found burned at his base!

That is all strange.

So, uh, yeah, maybe think twice before calling me 'useless'.

You were the one who called yourself useless.

I've been busy looking into stuff like this. ...I don't know how useful looking into it is, though.

It's, uh, super useful!

At this, Pig just looked at me blankly. It seemed like she didn't believe me. Then, after a pause, Pig spoke in a quiet voice.

But there is something useful I can do.

...I think.

What are you talking about?

Look, this whole game thing – it's an obvious sloppy job. Don't get me wrong, it's functional, you know, it works. But there wasn't nearly the time and care put into this that was put into the Zodiac Race. Looking at the computers, I could tell all the coding was done by an amateur.

And so, I think I can take advantage of that.

Take advantage? How would you do that?

The programs running on the computers, they're happening atop the computer's usual functions. I can tell that the programs were made using a very cookie-cutter application. ...And that application has some exploits.

It's possible I can get to the screen behind the program – that is to say, access the actual computer. And with that, I could contact the authorities, I could get help! ...Or, if that fails, I could look into the programming of these programs, see if I could uncover anything.

I don't know exactly, I just know that I can do something. And I feel obligated to do something.

I don't know, Pig, I'm not sure this is a good idea.

Huh?

I mean, what if the mastermind thought something like this might happen? If something pops up on their screen, saying that your computer is acting wacky... They might just immediately blow you up!

That's, uh, a good point.

I just think it's a risky plan.

True, true. This might be a bad idea. Still...

I don't want to be complacent anymore. No, I can't be passive anymore. This is my life, you know, and my life on the line. I'm not just going to roll over and die.

That's for certain.

And with those oddly determined words, Pig walked away.

Huh. It seemed to me that something had changed in Pig, compared to the woman I met when I first woke up in that crappy high school. Good for her.

...That was pretty much everybody.

*BWAAAAAAAAAAM!!*

And as if on cue, I heard the two minute alarm ring out. I suppose this was the moment of truth, wasn't it? Time to find out exactly what we were dealing with.

I made my way over to the computer, and watched it come to life. Then, I nervously read the card list.

-Mouse of Clubs
-Ox of Clubs
-Ox of Diamonds
-Bunny of Clubs
-Bunny of Diamonds
-Dragon of Clubs
-Snake of Hearts
-Rooster of Hearts
-Rooster of Clubs

...Well, there you had it. We were dealing with an enemy.

I can't say I didn't expect it. In theory, that enemy would be cut off at the pass now, as we'd find out their identity. But something about that felt unbelievable to me. I just didn't think it was particularly likely. Still, it's not like we could give up hope. Time to stick with the plan. I gave my Mouse of Hearts to Tiger. I prayed, hoping that was the right move. And then, as the computer shut down, I left the classroom and started making my way to the library. Time to check the carnage.

In the library, everybody just started looking at what was projected on the screen. Everybody's current scores were shown.

Mouse has 0 points.
Ox has 0 points.
Tiger has 6 points.
Bunny has 0 points.
Dragon has 0 points.
Snake has 0 points.
Horse has 0 points.
Sheep has 0 points.
Rooster has 0 points.
Monkey has 0 points.
Dog has -1 points.
Pig has 0 points.

… ...Dog has negative one points?

[BGM: Mousetrap]

So, uh, this means...

Snake was right! There's a traitor! We're doomed!

Okay, everybody, let's keep calm and think about this. What could this mean?

It means that Dog has a Tiger card. Right?

I mean, math isn't my strong suit or anything, but if I understand the whole 'wheel' thing right, a Tiger card should be worth negative one point to him. So, clearly he has a Tiger card!

H-How did that happen though? I looked at him, he was...

No one's disputing the fact that he was dead.

Most likely, someone gave him the Tiger card.

But, but, but what's the fuckin' point of that? Isn't that dooming us all?!

Perhaps that is the point. Or, it's to simply sew discord.

Well, maybe this situation can be salvaged, right? If I could get that card from Dog–

It can't be done. Didn't you hear the rules? Last time around, if someone operated your tablet, you'd be executed. But this time, operating someone else's computer gets you executed.

In other words, there's no way to access his computer. And there's no way to force someone to give up a card.

Well, that's not necessarily true, now is it?

Rooster?

You've got an idea for us, don't you buddy?

Just because you'll be executed for using someone else's computer doesn't mean that you can't do it. And if you're quick enough, you could surely make at least one move.

We just need someone expendable to sacrifice themselves for the group! So come on now, one of you volunteer! Surely, there must be at least one among you who wishes to die a martyr!

Rooster, I don't know if that's–

Enough. What's more important is the investigation results. What did everyone who checked somebody find? Did anyone have more cards than they should have?

Ox looked around the room, only to be met with a wave of shaking heads.

...What? Surely one of you saw something.

[BGM: Stampede of Truth]

Unfortunately, Ox, these results appear to indicate that the 'Check' gives you the number of cards the person you looked at had at the end of the turn. Meaning somebody could have handed off their Tiger card to Dog and we'd be none the wiser.

It appeared the search was fruitless.

Well then... First things first, a Tiger win is off the table. Tiger, you should try and unload those points. Give your most valuable cards to the people who get the least amount of points from them. The rest of us will...

...I don't know. Keep checking the amount of cards each other has. I need to think.

With an absent look in his eyes, Ox wandered off. And like that, the group began to scatter. But now, we were directionless. We didn't have a plan. People were beginning to panic. Panic was beginning to spread.

And that was The Cat's true goal, wasn't it?

Still... Something about the results being shown seemed wrong to me. I decided to try pacing on the first floor. That always helped me focus. I walked around the whole area, focused on the results. What was wrong with them?

What was rubbing me the wrong way?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Of course Mary and Jae engaged in hypnotherapy. Of course.

(I'm assuming/hoping that the writers have a more sensible view of hypnotherapy than 'oooh I say the trigger word and you'll do anything I say'.)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Hmmm. Well, let's see. We had 6 people, proclaim 3 cards got ripped up, we know dog has one, and Tiger has 6 points.

So either there were magically two extra tiger cards, or we've proven traitors plural. Can Tiger see which cards she has to confirm which pairs card actually got ripped up?

Or hell, if her points are even from tiger cards, it could be 3 +2s or a tiger a +2 and a +1.

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Well that was risky. Instead of Dog having the -1, Tiger could have been given an instant victory with 9.

If everyone keeps in mind that the goal is to rip up the eventual winner cards, they need a system that guarantees it. Pairs arbitrarily determined should work well enough.

For now, I think it's easiest if we let Bunny or Rooster be the new designated winners.

Bunny has 8 of the 9 points he needs to win available, and importantly, one of his Bunny cards is safely stowed with Tiger. Which means a max of 3 can be ripped in Round 3.

Designated Round 3 actions:
- 6 players are designated Bunny card rippers. These should be paired randomly. Definitely NOT the same ones as in Round 1.
- Tiger to drop her Bunny card as a show of good faith.
- 4 players (Mouse, Ox, Bunny, and Dragon) as Rooster rippers/fetchers.

If only 2 Rooster cards are present, they can be ripped up by the 4. If 3 or 4 are present, they can pre-plan who'll take what. Then, they can dump/rip cards in later rounds. These 4 successfully fed Tiger cards earlier, so they are pretty trustworthy. Besides, if all outcomes are pre-planned, it'll be incredibly obvious if anyone didn't follow through.

Any failures to act as designated should be clear by the end of Round 4, so the group will be able to take measures against anyone who didn't do as they were supposed to.

With 2 designated winners, it should be smooth sailing to victory as people are reserved to tear up cards or collect them for Bunny and Rooster.

Of course, all of this goes out the window if Dog is secretly alive, which I think he is. :)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Mix. posted:

Um, I thought we needed to try and rip up Tiger cards, so I chose the Tiger of Diamonds.

A bit late, but I think this should be Sheep's portrait, not Snake's?

NeoRonTheNeuron
Oct 14, 2012
Yeah, I agree, based on the wording and later dialogue.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

ApplesandOranges posted:

Of course Mary and Jae engaged in hypnotherapy. Of course.

(I'm assuming/hoping that the writers have a more sensible view of hypnotherapy than 'oooh I say the trigger word and you'll do anything I say'.)

I'm hoping it's just like, subliminal or like "if you ever feel like X situation you should do Y" which is why she did stuff like "go to this classroom" or " go punch someone you are angry with" and not "obey all my orders" or "do this exact chain of events".

At the very least in the first case Mouse would be free of hypnotic suggestions because as Pig said, this game was improvised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I feel like everyone is missing the obvious solution of having "Dog" operate his computer Weekend-At-Bernies style (or maybe like his arms I guess, he blew up). Gosh, it's like these people want to die!

Anyway, it'd be awesome if this game ends up being derailed because this time the mastermind (almost certainly Monkey now) underestimated Pig, just like Dog. And also a big redemption moment for her.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 12:24 on May 16, 2023