Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Tuna-Fish posted:

Clearly it should be North (Atlantic, Baltic, Black Sea, Pacific) Treaty Organization. It's not like there's much going on in Southern Black Sea or Southern Pacific.

If you join other alliances and end up in a war because of them, you can't call other NATO members for help. This means that small NATO members are very heavily incentivized not to join other alliances, but if the big swinging dick of worldwide military spending wants to have a few other engagements as a treat, there's really nothing stopping them.

There has been talks on if the Nordics should have their own defensive alliance but I think there is no reason for such anymore when Sweden joins NATO. If Sweden doesn't join in any near future thanks to Turkey and Hungary, that might be back on the planning board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Der Kyhe posted:

There has been talks on if the Nordics should have their own defensive alliance but I think there is no reason for such anymore when Sweden joins NATO. If Sweden doesn't join in any near future thanks to Turkey and Hungary, that might be back on the planning board.

Such talk was always completely braindead. There is no world where Norway and Denmark give up the protection of NATO in exchange for being tied to Sweden and Finland.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Der Kyhe posted:

Some sort of Northern European Alternative Treaty Organization?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Salty Licorice Appreciators Group

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Well, the discussion was about sidebets in addition of being a member of NATO. Technically being a member of EU is already another defense pact that isn't NATO, but the EU security guarantees are untested and very vague, so they are borderline meaningless at the moment.

And now that Finland is in NATO, and Sweden should be in the near future, the Nordic defense pact in addition of NATO is also pretty much meaningless. When Sweden is in, Russia cannot do a stunt where it triggers EU guarantees without triggering NATO Article 5, or force a situation where Sweden needs help to retake Baltic Sea islands from Russia without direct NATO involvement.

Sweden has security guarantees at the moment to cover the "not yet member"-scenario, but it pretty much requires the US and UK to stay sane until the deal is done.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 10, 2023

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Tuna-Fish posted:

Such talk was always completely braindead. There is no world where Norway and Denmark give up the protection of NATO in exchange for being tied to Sweden and Finland.

Why doesn't this thinking go both ways? If Norway is tied to the US, they're a prime target for the Soviet Union (you did specify "always"). And Sweden had their own nuclear weapons program until the 1970's, so that was a question of how the Swedes would feel about threatening Moscow with a nuclear strike.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Small White Dragon posted:

Is this for real? Who said that?

MP of the current Hungarian nazi party (Mi hazánk / Our homeland) gave an interview to RT. So it's not the government who said it (they just think it I guess).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBUFCH4bMUI

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Tuna-Fish posted:

Clearly it should be North (Atlantic, Baltic, Black Sea, Pacific) Treaty Organization. It's not like there's much going on in Southern Black Sea or Southern Pacific.

Turkey disapproves this!

Anyway I don't think the alliance's name is that mysterious. It was formed between a bunch of North American and European nations, continents that have one ocean between them. It's not like Germany or Denmark have any Atlantic coastline either.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Nenonen posted:

It's not like Germany or Denmark have any Atlantic coastline either.

As a Dane I need to point out that in 1949 when Nato was founded we had huge and impressive amounts of Atlantic coastline. A whole lot more than most. But then some decades later Greenland wanted autonomy...

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Sebastian Flyte posted:

As a Dane I need to point out that in 1949 when Nato was founded we had huge and impressive amounts of Atlantic coastline. A whole lot more than most. But then some decades later Greenland wanted autonomy...

bigly coasts, the coldest and most frozen

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

HonorableTB posted:

bigly coasts, the coldest and most frozen

The greenest from the standpoint of land.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The nordic defense pact talk always seemed like just empty mutual reassurances, but lately it does look like the nordic countries are aiming at tighter integration between their armed forces than even what NATO membership demands.Trump's attitude toward NATO probably isn't forgotten in Europe, and with the next presidential election drawing closer, having a backup plan with your closest neighboring members might not be a bad idea.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
US DOD update, not much here. I cut out everything unrelated to Ukraine.

Link with video: https://www.defense.gov/News/Transc...press-briefing/
Link with USAI announcement: https://www.defense.gov/News/Releases/Release/Article/3388890/biden-administration-announces-additional-security-assistance-for-ukraine/

Reminder that USAI is a contract mechanism, not a drawdown from US stocks, so anything in a USAI tends to be months to a year+ down the road.

Highlights:
-USAI includes ammunition, training/maintenance support, air defense systems/munitions, equipment to help integrate Western and legacy Ukrainian air defenses, among other things
-US Confirms that Ukraine used Patriot to shoot down a Kinzhal (NATO reporting name Killjoy) missile. These are missiles launched from modified MiG-31s, capable of hypersonic speeds.
-US continues to train Ukrainian personnel in Germany, plans to do so as long as Ukraine has demand for it

quote:

BRIGADIER GENERAL PAT RYDER: Good afternoon, everybody. Just a few things here at the top, and then we'll get right to your questions.

Today, the Department of Defense announced a new security assistance package to reaffirm steadfast U.S. support for Ukraine, including to bolster its air defenses and sustain its artillery ammunition needs. This package, which totals up to $1.2 billion, is being provided under the Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative. This UAI package underscores the continued U.S. commitment to meeting Ukraine's most urgent requirements by committing critical capabilities such as air defense systems and munitions, while also building the capacity of Ukraine's Armed Forces to defend its territory and deter Russian aggression over the long-term. This includes procuring additional 155 millimeter artillery rounds and sustainment support to enable Ukraine to better maintain its on-hand systems and equipment. The capabilities in this package include additional air defense systems and munitions equipment to integrate Western air defense launchers, missiles and radars with Ukraine's air defense systems, ammunition for counter-unmanned aerial systems, 155 milliliter artillery rounds, commercial satellite imagery services and support for training, maintenance and sustainment activities.

The United States will continue to work with our allies and our partners to provide Ukraine with capabilities to meet its immediate battlefield needs and longer-term security assistance requirements.

Q: Thanks, General Ryder. You mentioned the commercial satellite imagery services in the Ukraine package. Can you say which companies DOD is planning to contract with for these services? And just more broadly, can you talk about why DOD is kind of leaning on the commercial sector for this rather than just providing its own imagery to the Ukrainians?

GEN. RYDER: Again, I don't have anything specific to announce today, in terms of particular companies that we may or may not be contracting with through this USAI effort. That will be work that's ongoing, certainly as we look at options on how best to support Ukraine. And so when we do have something to announce on that front, we certainly will. Okay, thank you.

Will?

Q: Thank you. Another USAI question -- it -- it mentioned -- the announcement mentioned air defense systems and munitions. Have the specific systems been selected yet or is that something that -- that still is -- has not been done? And also, is there any timeline on these items, especially the air defense (inaudible) 155s, given the -- kind of the urgency of the need for those capabilities in Ukraine?

GEN. RYDER: Yeah, sure. So a couple of things there. So again, on today's announcement about the USAI, just to -- and not to belabor the point here, but again, a key difference between that and the presidential drawdown authorities is that the USAI is an authority under which the United States can procure capabilities from industry or partners versus, again, drawing from existing stocks.

So this -- today's announcement is really focused on -- or represents, rather, the beginning of a contracting process to provide additional priority capabilities to Ukraine, which will entail exploring options as how to best support them.

When it comes to providing nearer term support, you've seen us use the PDA to drawdown on existing capabilities and rush those capabilities to Ukraine. So when it comes to things like air defense, for example, you've seen us provide Patriots, NASAMS, we've provided HAWKs. Our allies and partners have provided things like SAM-T, Avengers, counter-UAS.

So we're not waiting to provide Ukraine with air defense capabilities now. The USAI gives us the ability to leverage the power and the capabilities of the private sector in order to support Ukraine's medium and long term security assistance needs.

Yeah?

Q: One quick follow-up on that. So just to -- just to confirm though that -- but the specific systems that are -- that are under -- are mentioned in this announcement have not been determined yet?

GEN. RYDER: Correct. So that is -- that is something that we'll be exploring, and again, when we have something to announce, we will.

Q: Two related questions. Ukrainians say they used a Patriot missile to intercept a Russian Kinzhal, or Killjoy, missile. Was the U.S. able to confirm that? And what did you learn from the intercept of what Putin has called an impossible to intercept missile? And then what is the -- how much concern is there about Ukraine's current stock of air defense munitions? Do they have enough, given the continued Russian barrages?

GEN. RYDER: Yeah, thanks, Oren.

So first of all, when it comes to Ukraine's readiness, its inventory or details of missile intercepts, I'd -- I'd refer you to them. I can confirm that they did down a Russian missile by employing the Patriot missile defense system. As you know, that -- that system is part of a broader range of air defense capabilities that the United States and the international community have provided to Ukraine. I listed out some of those, you know, as part of their multilayered integrated air defense capability.

And so as Secretary Austin highlighted about three weeks ago at the Ukraine Defense Contact Group, the U.S., our allies, our partners, we're going to continue to rush ground-based air defense capabilities and munitions to help Ukraine control its sovereign skies and to help Ukraine defend its citizens from Russian cruise missiles and Iranian drones. And again, as evidenced by today's USAI announcement and the procurement of additional air defense systems and munitions, this is something that we're going to keep after both in the near term and the long term. Thank you.

Q: Thanks, General. Back to Ukraine, last week, I think it was the Ukrainian official said that -- that nine BCTs -- nine Ukrainian BCTs have been trained. I'm just curious, does the -- does that mean that the training that the U.S. was providing has finished? And more broadly, what's the status of the U.S. training effort to -- for the Ukrainian forces?

GEN. RYDER: Yeah, so -- great question. So training does continue at Grafenwöhr, combined arms training, and I -- I'd refer you to U.S. Army Europe and Africa to provide you with the exact numbers, but it -- I do know that -- that we have upwards of a couple thousand that are going through training there right now.

And again, we will be able to maintain that support and that capability to train Ukrainians as long as the demand is there. So we continue to discuss that with our Ukrainian partners, in terms of sending additional forces.

As always, a consideration as they do that is how many forces do they keep in the field, vice getting trained, but I think, going back to what we've talked about all along during this conflict, is that providing equipment along with training gives the Ukrainians a capability, vice just having equipment. Part of that capability includes the maintenance and sustainment of those capabilities.

And so we are very eager to continue working alongside our allies and our partners to provide that type of training to the Ukrainians going forward. Thanks very much.

Q: I just wanted to double check -- you -- you did confirm -- you did confirm that a Patriot downed this Kinzhal missile ...

GEN. RYDER: Correct.

Q: ... did I hear that right?

GEN. RYDER: Correct.

Q: Was this a U.S.-provided Patriot or one of the -- from the Dutch or Germans?

GEN. RYDER: Yeah, in terms of those kinds of operational details, I'd refer you to the Ukrainians.

Q: You can't confirm if the U.S. Patriots are now over there?

GEN. RYDER: The U.S. Patriot is over there.

Q: It is? So you're confirming that ...

GEN. RYDER: I'm confirming U.S. Patriot system is in Ukraine, but in terms of which specific battery they employed, whether it was a U.S.-provided, Dutch-provided, I'd refer you to the Ukrainians.

Q: OK, that's fine. Thanks.

GEN. RYDER: OK, thanks. And last question, we'll go to Will.

Q: Also, I just had a quick follow-up on the -- on the Kinzhal. Is -- is this the first time -- or the first intercept of a hypersonic missile in combat? And do you have the date of the intercept?

GEN. RYDER: I don't, and I -- and I -- again, I'm not going to get into the specifics or trying to characterize it, other than, again, to say we can confirm that the Ukrainians took down this Russian missile with a Patriot missile defense system.

All right, thanks very much, everybody. Appreciate it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Thanks very much for providing these mlmp.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Pope Hilarius II posted:

I would like to propose the Global Defense Initiative

EDF

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Call it the Pacific Occidental Trans Atlantic Treaty Organization

New thread title.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Slashrat posted:

The nordic defense pact talk always seemed like just empty mutual reassurances, but lately it does look like the nordic countries are aiming at tighter integration between their armed forces than even what NATO membership demands.Trump's attitude toward NATO probably isn't forgotten in Europe, and with the next presidential election drawing closer, having a backup plan with your closest neighboring members might not be a bad idea.

It just makes so much sense. Just look at the map of Norway and imagine that submarines or air interdiction are making the supply route to the north difficult. If you can use Swedish and Finnish territory too then it becomes trivial to go around that. All of the countries in the area have synergies like this and cooperation has existed before especially between Finland and Sweden, but it's more all encompassing now.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I came across a video today of a Russian (Wagner?) soldier using sign language to surrender to a Ukrainian drone. After some back and forth they drop a note to him with instructions on how to surrender. He makes his way through some trenches then makes a beeline across no man's land while his side takes potshots at him. Eventually he makes it over to the Ukrainian lines and tells the camera that a drone saved his life.

I'm not going to link it for obvious reasons (I can't tell for certain but it looks like he climbs over some bodies, also we're supposed to avoid posting POW videos) but holy hell. The thing that really stuck out for me, though, was just how blasted the landscape in the video is. Just dirt, craters, and debris. It's one thing to hear "no man's land," it's another to see a scene that looks like something out of World War I. If I didn't know it was real I would have assumed they were filming an anachronistic follow up to All Quiet on the Western Front.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Yeah dude I have no idea if you can repost it but it was absolutely fascinating, drone controller trying to signal with shaking no, instruction drops, lots of attempted hand signals, he crawls through that blasted wasteland, definitely some bodies, his own side tries to shell him, the surrender is probably the only way he will have ever survived, it's a whole epic

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Here you go
:nms: https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/13dkeem/joint_effort_with_achilles_companycode_92_of_the/

Fascintating how quickly new technology is adapted.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
I have been seeing an increase in Russians surrendering/captured videos. While this is probably in part due to an increase in operations tempo, I am curious to whether Russians are seeing as many similiar videos of Ukrainians surrendering.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Dick Ripple posted:

I am curious to whether Russians are seeing as many similiar videos of Ukrainians surrendering.

With the difference in how POW's are treated I seriously doubt it. Also Ukraine actually seems to be actively trying to get Russian forces to surrender for what ever reasons. Can't imagine any Ukrainian forces surrendering unless there is no other option.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

dr_rat posted:

Also Ukraine actually seems to be actively trying to get Russian forces to surrender for what ever reasons.

Soldiers that surrender are soldiers you don’t have to fight later. It’s the easiest and best way forward for everyone involved.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Icon Of Sin posted:

Soldiers that surrender are soldiers you don’t have to fight later. It’s the easiest and best way forward for everyone involved.

Russian POWs can also be exchanged for Ukrainian POWs.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Icon Of Sin posted:

Oh sorry, wrote that badly, meant that they were trying to persuade the Russian soldiers to surrender for what ever reason the Russian solider might want to for, not just the usual being surrounded and can't retreat type ones. The reportedly appalling treatment of the Russian troops by it's own army is probably helping a lot with that.

Yeah the Ukrainian army would obviously want as many Russian soldiers to surrender as possible.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

There's not going to be many that will actively try to surrender, I would guess. Most people just want to go back home and live free with their loved ones. Defecting to the enemy doesn't help with that, not to mention that it's dangerous. Desertion or self-made injury would be my first recourse. But then there are people who have nothing to lose even if they can't return home.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Rappaport posted:

Why doesn't this thinking go both ways? If Norway is tied to the US, they're a prime target for the Soviet Union (you did specify "always"). And Sweden had their own nuclear weapons program until the 1970's, so that was a question of how the Swedes would feel about threatening Moscow with a nuclear strike.

There were early attempts to work towards a Nordic defense union right after WW2, before Norway and Denmark went with NATO. Would have been an interesting change in Cold War politics, essentially a bigger version of Extremely Neutral (but really more western) Sweden. Probably with its own nukes (the Swedish program actually started as a joint Swedish-Norwegian one).

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nenonen posted:

There's not going to be many that will actively try to surrender, I would guess. Most people just want to go back home and live free with their loved ones. Defecting to the enemy doesn't help with that, not to mention that it's dangerous. Desertion or self-made injury would be my first recourse. But then there are people who have nothing to lose even if they can't return home.

This Gurdian article quotes the number as 6500 verified soldiers who have contacted the surrender hotline to surrender (Spokes person declined to say how many of these surrenders were "completed").

So that number doesn't include surrenders not through the hotline as well... so the actual number is, yeah who knows. They have seem to of officially swapped around 1500+ POW's with Russia, so that's the lowest possible number at least.

But yeah, I assume most would prefer just to desert, or self injury, but I guess for some people near the front they might think that actually getting back to Russia would be to hard through that much Russian controlled Ukrainian territory. I assume they'd be lots of people on the look out for deserters, and who knows how badly you actually have to injury yourself, and if you have to injure yourself badly, well that can go very wrong pretty easily. Each options seems to have a pretty big risk attached.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

I hope this is true and that other countries follow this example, giving Ukraine a longer range for attacks.

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1656585441343074305

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/05/11/politics/uk-storm-shadow-cruise-missiles-ukraine

EmployeeOfTheMonth
Jul 28, 2005
It's the positive attitude that does it
Possibly surrendering (depending on how you play it) wont get you punished/shot whereas desertion or retreating will? Seems complex to me and very situational.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

EmployeeOfTheMonth posted:

Possibly surrendering (depending on how you play it) wont get you punished/shot whereas desertion or retreating will? Seems complex to me and very situational.

It's the difference between skipping school and staying home with a doctor's note.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Atreiden posted:

I hope this is true and that other countries follow this example, giving Ukraine a longer range for attacks.

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1656585441343074305

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/05/11/politics/uk-storm-shadow-cruise-missiles-ukraine

Are they enough to take down the Kerch bridge?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Willo567 posted:

Are they enough to take down the Kerch bridge?
Right now, the bridge is right on the edge of the quoted range
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1656612051668664320/photo/1

Exact performance isn't ever going to be in the public domain, but there's a reasonable chance it has the accuracy and warhead to take out the required bridge supports. This is the most detailed overview of it I know.
https://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/2022/11/storm-shadow/

I'm not sure it's ever been used against a foe to the level of Russia, so it'll be interesting to see how it does in a much more contested airspace. Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Syria, Yemen didn't/don't have the same level of air defences.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Are these air launched or do they have a surface to surface version?

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

My guess would be on Ukraine using them to target supply depots that have been outside their current range in anticipation for the upcoming offensive, to stretch Russian supply lines rather than targeting a bridge they probably can't consistently bomb.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

ought ten posted:

Are these air launched or do they have a surface to surface version?
I'm not aware of anything ever pointing towards surface launch being an option. I suspect the turbojet engine is insufficient to give it take-of under it's own steam, and it lacks the solid booster stage of something like a tomahawk.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

mrfart posted:

It's the difference between skipping school and staying home with a doctor's note.

I recalled that some Ukrainian forces spokesperson mentioned that they were doing everything they can to make sure that Russia won't find out if some intentionally surrendered or if they were captured. So yeah this seems pretty accurate.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

It depends how many missiles Ukraine is given. The Kerch Bridge is very likely heavily defended by Russian surface to air missiles, due to its obvious logistical and strategic importance, as well as its symbolic propaganda value.

Being at the edge of strike range, the Russians should have a decent chance of detecting any incoming missiles and firing at them. Storm Shadow also isn't a wonder weapon - it seems to be about as vulnerable to SAMs as any other cruise missile.

Not saying its impossible, but they would presumably need a good number of missiles to overwhelm the bridge's defenses and have a good chance of taking it out. Ukraine may not have enough of them to spare - and may have more immediate tactical targets, like supply and ammo depots, HQs, etc.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

The fun times is that just by HAVING those missiles, without ever firing one, they can affect the battlefield because the Russian army will have to start spreading its defenses further, move its goods further away from the front, etc, which mean that even the shorter range missiles gain effectiveness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So is Ukraine going to jury rig those storm shadow missiles to their Migs and Sukhois like they did with the HARM missiles?