Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

GoldStandardConure posted:

The doco The Experimental City goes into this, with the idea of building a city specifically around a few types of technologies and urban planning ideas to see how they would work in practice. The mode of transport they would have planned around was a dual-mode vehicle, that could drive like a car on a street or attach to something like a track or cable and basically become a cable-car and drive itself to a location. If you like urban planning and insane pie in the sky ideas, check the doco out. It's good.

They already kinda have this in Adelaide with the O-Bahn or whatever with buses that drive onto exclusive tracks and become lovely trams. This city's basically like when in Transport Tycoon you plop down every available type of transport around your starting area to experiment with them and then forget about them forever except for the occasional upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
As a regular everyday australian will albo give me money?

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006
I was quite upset last week with the rumours of only having 55yo+ receiving a top-up for JobSeeker, and the Stage 3 tax cuts still going ahead fed my motivation to write a poem (as I tend to do).

I want the poem to age poorly, preferably, and have those we hold dear or maybe don't even know get to the age where they can comfortably retire; I have hopes tinged with cynicism/realism.

23 Skidoo fucked around with this message at 07:34 on May 10, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Poetry is a dead medium.

23 Skidoo
Dec 21, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Poetry is a dead medium.

People say the same about forums, welp here we are

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Non Compos Mentis posted:

As a regular everyday australian will albo give me money?

Are you a wealth creator?

How many investment properties do you own?

Do you spend your holidays in St Barts or Gstaadt?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Poetry is a dead medium.

Put a beat behind it and do it live and people might listen

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They already kinda have this in Adelaide with the O-Bahn or whatever with buses that drive onto exclusive tracks and become lovely trams. This city's basically like when in Transport Tycoon you plop down every available type of transport around your starting area to experiment with them and then forget about them forever except for the occasional upgrade.

The fact that there used to be local manufacturing of bus bodies (and the capacity to easily manufacture track wheels for guided busways) in Adelaide was a significant factor in the obahn being built instead of a freeway. AFAIK obahns were only really used to help busses share tram tunnels in Germany before then.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Laserface posted:

Put a beat behind it and do it live and people might listen

I read it in the voice of TISM doing their spoken word and it worked well

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Word cloud for April:

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
Gas Liberals :hfive:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Speaking of urban planning and transport, on a recent ride I came across the big red circle, which is full of trucks coming and going from the big distribution centres - (DHL, FedEx, Woolworths, Linfox, etc). If you moved these facilities to the little red circle at the end of the train line in Leppington, and connect to the international port by joining up with the green line, you could take a significant percentage of trucks off the road and onto rail.

From there it could tap into the e-cycle network previously outlined, and you can send pretty much anything pretty much anywhere with virtually no emissions or noise or traffic accidents. And the stuff that does need cars and trucks will have way more space on the roads to do it.

And if we're feeling particularly constructive we could build a train tunnel along the white line, from Parramatta to Epping, to save the entire eastern rail line from having to go all the way through Strathfield and the city and across the harbour.

ARTC doesn't lease that segment of rail, and is already used by Railcorp for servicing commuter trains. You would need to redevelop the line to add a third track if you are going to accommodate freight along it. Besides, there is already a new intermodal facility a little further south in Glenlee (and a newer one in Moorebank).

Also I guess I should tell you what they are actually doing, instead of just telling you why your idea is dumb... They are already planning a new corridor and intermodal facility for Badgerys Creek airport.
https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/corridors/wsfl

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 10, 2023

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
catholic single batteries in your area

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Tokamak posted:

ARTC doesn't lease that segment of rail, and is already used by Railcorp for servicing commuter trains. You would need to redevelop the line to add a third track if you are going to accommodate freight along it. Besides, there is already a new intermodal facility a little further south in Glenlee (and a newer one in Moorebank).

Also I guess I should tell you what they are actually doing, instead of just telling you why your idea is dumb... They are already planning a new corridor and intermodal facility for Badgerys Creek airport.
https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/corridors/wsfl

I don't care who's name is on it, there are too many trucks on the road and there are underused rail lines there. Do you really need to add a third for freight? Is there a difference or is that just to accomodate traffic volume?

Go and stand at the intersection of Walgrove Rd and Old Walgrove Rd, it's the truckiest thing in the world. They're just coming and going endlessly, in and out of this depot, and then off round the town and country. Clogging up the roads and motorways and making noise and causing traffic and accidents. It's tough to speculate on a number but I'd say comfortably >50% of it could be moved to rail, and then smaller trucks.

You didn't tell me the idea was dumb, you said the government recognise the importance of the need for the connection, but have a dumber plan to meet it, which involves putting in a whole new route, and even then it's not even in the planning phase, they've just said "we're thinking about saving this land in case we want to put a rail line in the future".

But if you have some more insights I'd be interested to hear them

Recoome posted:

What’s in the little red circle right now?

Site inspection confirms the land is amazingly available

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I don't care who's name is on it, there are too many trucks on the road and there are underused rail lines there. Do you really need to add a third for freight? Is there a difference or is that just to accomodate traffic volume?

Commuter trains are relatively light, need to regularly stop and start, and also have to follow a timetable. A freight train is heavy, and has trouble stopping and starting. So you tend to get freight trains idling near the choke point waiting for a clear route (I live near one). And given the length, it would not be feasible to run freight through it during peak hours. It's okay if you are running some coal along it every now and again, less so if you want to set up a big intermodal facility. Seriously though, look at the Moorebank Intermodal Terminal. It's essentially what you are thinking about to meet today's need. It connects to the existing dedicated freight line. The western sydney freight line is their bigger ambition for the future.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Moorebank is in a good spot, but doesn't look like it has the room to take the whole big red circle, which is the point. Maybe if they're smart they could do some consolidating but I don't see it working to the extent we need

A freight train doesn't need to be a big one, can get down to a few containers if need be. Just drip-feed them from botany, through the green line, on to the light blue / mauve one, do the sorting, then chuck it back on the tracks to go where it needs to go. Especially if you can send them up and down the coast without going through Strathfield by digging that white tunnel. And you can pump the cargo through from 10 pm - 5 am, the green line is barely built up around it anyway.

Also there are exactly two stops on the little line to Leppington, can't imagine it would cause that much disruption

And if all that extra freight causes a bit more congestion on the rail lines, well, it' causing at least an identical reduction in congestion on the roads, which means they're not going to be killing any cyclists or motorists or burning all that fuel. So much loving fuel.

edit - Leppington also has the advantage of being just 8km south of Badgerys Creek airport precinct, with not much in between

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 11, 2023

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I feel like if the thread could pass the hat around and get Bucky a copy of Transport Fever 2 on steam, he'd save about 5000 words/50 PowerPoint slides per week and we'd all be happier for it

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

No no it's very much the actual world that I'm interested in, but thanks.

And why the gently caress would you be happier about that anyway, you don't want people posting ideas in a politics thread? Politics isn't just finance and fascism, it's very much the nuts and bolts of moving stuff around too and that deserves to be debated and discussed.

The problem is I don't think there is anyone who's job it is to look at this stuff on this scale.

The transport system is real loving dumb in so many ways.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
There are; the problem is they're all in academia, and neoliberal governments view academia the same way corporations viewed their IT departments in the mid 2000s - a cost centre they're constantly trying to offload, until they need something from it and realise it's vastly under funded.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

And why the gently caress would you be happier about that anyway, you don't want people posting ideas in a politics thread? Politics isn't just finance and fascism, it's very much the nuts and bolts of moving stuff around too and that deserves to be debated and discussed.

The problem is I don't think there is anyone who's job it is to look at this stuff on this scale.

Get a job as a consultant for this stuff my friend

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010
Am a Urban Planner employed by Government. Most decisions are political and not due to good design. Mind-blowing, I'm sure :cheers:

edit:

Sure there is, Department of Planning NSW and Transport for NSW.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/may/11/tempers-flare-as-greens-stare-down-labor-push-for-vote-on-housing-bill

Guardian AU posted:

Fierce debate flare as Greens stare down Labor push for vote on housing bill
Penny Wong withdrew comments personally targeting the Greens’ housing spokesperson, but accused the party of joining a ‘filibuster’

The Greens have stared down a Labor push to accelerate debate on the government’s $10bn housing Australia future fund bill, voting with the Coalition to block a move to guarantee a vote on Thursday.
In an acrimonious debate, the Labor Senate leader Penny Wong said the minor party had joined a filibuster against the bill.
She accused the Greens housing spokesperson, Max Chandler-Mather, of putting his “ego” and desire for media attention above the need for more housing for victims of domestic violence. Wong withdrew the comments.
The Coalition opposes the bill. The Greens say they will not support it unless the government offers substantial improvements, with a starting position in negotiations of wanting $5bn of direct spending on housing and a national rent freeze.

Good, hold the ground for actually good things to happen in this country. Force labor to choose between being do nothing shitheads (oooh a future investment fund to maybe build 30,000 houses over 5 years, assuming it doesn't fail or get gutted before than) and effective action.

If I wanted milquetoast non-solutions I'd have voted for Labor in the first place.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

We would be happier because it's very obvious that you have absolutely no idea how railroads actually work.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Vladimir Poutine posted:

The fact that there used to be local manufacturing of bus bodies (and the capacity to easily manufacture track wheels for guided busways) in Adelaide was a significant factor in the obahn being built instead of a freeway. AFAIK obahns were only really used to help busses share tram tunnels in Germany before then.

Also the obahn is great.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

go_banana posted:

Am a Urban Planner employed by Government. Most decisions are political and not due to good design. Mind-blowing, I'm sure :cheers:

edit:

Sure there is, Department of Planning NSW and Transport for NSW.

Sure, but who’s job is it? Everyone in those departments is working on delivering the projects their manager gave them or whatever, but where and when does the brainstorming happen? Where does the vision come from and how is it decided?

And even there, you said it‘a the two. So which is it? Plus theres the fact that the Minister for roads is different to the minister for transport, is different to the minister for for planning, is different to the minister for energy, etc. and that’s just at the one level of government. But then I get the feeling Transport for NSW is it’s own kind of “thing”, right?

Splode posted:

We would be happier because it's very obvious that you have absolutely no idea how railroads actually work.

Alright, enlighten us then. What’s wrong with the idea? The government’s proposed corridor doesn’t even exist yet, so I’m at least a step ahead already.

Moving stuff around by filling thousands of massive trucks up with millions of dollars of diesel every day and sending them barreling down our roads sucks, and is dangerous, so how can we do better?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Some thoughts and perspective on Voice by Celeste Liddle, an activist/academic/occasional Greens candidate who I have a tonne of respect for. Thought some here may appreciate.

https://www.eurekastreet.com.au/voices-beyond-yes-and-no?mibextid=Zxz2cZ

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Also there are exactly two stops on the little line to Leppington, can't imagine it would cause that much disruption

it is the terminus of one of the busier train lines. you seem interested in this subject, so take the next step and do a little reading into the planning decisions for freight and urban development. there is a lot of interesting stuff out there (and largely public). it might give you some more insight into how decisions were made beyond how it looks on a map.

on one hand seeing an existing line makes you think you can quickly bootstrap a new industrial area, but building all of the additional infrastructure and factories will take longer than the time you saved from using an existing line. you are also suggesting relocating an existing industrial area near a large population centre to farmland. how will people work and live there? a project like this would take a long time to plan and develop... kind of like what they are already doing with the new airport. you seem to be trying to want things both ways (a quick fix, and a comprehensive solution). it doesn't follow that some empty land near a railway line would inherently be a good spot for industry.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Sure, but who’s job is it? Everyone in those departments is working on delivering the projects their manager gave them or whatever, but where and when does the brainstorming happen? Where does the vision come from and how is it decided?

By Auspol posters in the Auspol thread

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Animal Friend posted:

By Auspol posters in the Auspol thread

Look if Auspol's secretly running Australia, we're doing a pretty poo poo job of it to be honest.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

And even there, you said it‘a the two. So which is it? Plus theres the fact that the Minister for roads is different to the minister for transport, is different to the minister for for planning, is different to the minister for energy, etc. and that’s just at the one level of government. But then I get the feeling Transport for NSW is it’s own kind of “thing”, right?

Alright, enlighten us then. What’s wrong with the idea? The government’s proposed corridor doesn’t even exist yet, so I’m at least a step ahead already.

Moving stuff around by filling thousands of massive trucks up with millions of dollars of diesel every day and sending them barreling down our roads sucks, and is dangerous, so how can we do better?

Sorry this void is full, you'll have to find another one to shout into.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Bucky you can actually go to university and do a PhD in this poo poo if you’re genuinely keen to learn about it, rather than farting into an internet forum and saying, “Well what’s WRONG with it then guys? I don’t hear any BETTER ideas!”

It’d be one thing to just chat, and say “Well I heard” or “Well I reckon”, but you come across as someone who wants to lead a discussion about a topic you have zero expertise in. Why are you so surprised and frustrated when no-one’s keen? It’s like everyone’s just unwinding at the pub and you’re this guy dressed like a Mormon and dragging in a whiteboard and going, “OK guys, so let’s BRAINSTORM! No bad ideas! Let’s see if we can knock this national transportation infrastructure thing on the head.”

“I’ve got a great idea,” yeah but you don’t know poo poo, so you’re just a crank, right? “How can we get this in front of the people in charge?” By studying it for years and getting a degree and a job and understanding how it works and gaining a reputation and connections, I guess?? How do you think?

Chicken Parmigiana fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 11, 2023

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Moorebank is in a good spot, but doesn't look like it has the room to take the whole big red circle, which is the point. Maybe if they're smart they could do some consolidating but I don't see it working to the extent we need

A freight train doesn't need to be a big one, can get down to a few containers if need be. Just drip-feed them from botany, through the green line, on to the light blue / mauve one, do the sorting, then chuck it back on the tracks to go where it needs to go. Especially if you can send them up and down the coast without going through Strathfield by digging that white tunnel. And you can pump the cargo through from 10 pm - 5 am, the green line is barely built up around it anyway.

And if all that extra freight causes a bit more congestion on the rail lines, well, it' causing at least an identical reduction in congestion on the roads, which means they're not going to be killing any cyclists or motorists or burning all that fuel. So much loving fuel.

edit - Leppington also has the advantage of being just 8km south of Badgerys Creek airport precinct, with not much in between

You know what you call a train only hauling a few containers? A road train! There is already a whole network ready for them - multi lanes, flexible, utilising infrastructure also used by people traffic and everything!

I jest but at the same time, using rail to not pull multiple hundreds of sea containers at a go defeats the whole purpose of using a train over a truck. Trucks are awesome for hauling dozens of containers between two general areas and distributing them individually. Trains rock when you need to move (10's of) thousands of tonnes of stuff every day for a long time between two points but don't have access to ships.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Bring back zeppelins!

(Every so often they do actually look into this https://www.internationalairportreview.com/article/37170/cargo-airships/)

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Tokamak posted:

it is the terminus of one of the busier train lines. you seem interested in this subject, so take the next step and do a little reading into the planning decisions for freight and urban development. there is a lot of interesting stuff out there (and largely public). it might give you some more insight into how decisions were made beyond how it looks on a map.

on one hand seeing an existing line makes you think you can quickly bootstrap a new industrial area, but building all of the additional infrastructure and factories will take longer than the time you saved from using an existing line. you are also suggesting relocating an existing industrial area near a large population centre to farmland. how will people work and live there? a project like this would take a long time to plan and develop... kind of like what they are already doing with the new airport. you seem to be trying to want things both ways (a quick fix, and a comprehensive solution). it doesn't follow that some empty land near a railway line would inherently be a good spot for industry.

this is extremely reasonable and logical and a complete waste of your breath

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

the answer is snowcity

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

lih posted:

the answer is snowcity

from Hellbender?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/PeterDutton_MP/status/1656601018942238721

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Electric Wrigglies posted:

You know what you call a train only hauling a few containers? A road train! There is already a whole network ready for them - multi lanes, flexible, utilising infrastructure also used by people traffic and everything!

I jest but at the same time, using rail to not pull multiple hundreds of sea containers at a go defeats the whole purpose of using a train over a truck. Trucks are awesome for hauling dozens of containers between two general areas and distributing them individually. Trains rock when you need to move (10's of) thousands of tonnes of stuff every day for a long time between two points but don't have access to ships.

I've stayed at the Meriton apartments at Mascot and 24 hours a day trucks are moving single shipping containers from the depot on Canal Road to Port Botany, a distance of about 10-12km by road. You'd think there would have to be some kind of way to improve it but with the airport in the way I don't think there is.

I guess what seems stupid and inefficient, is often the best way to do something. Possible solutions seem available on the surface but then you realise that there are hidden complexities that make it far more difficult to solve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Possible solutions seem available on the surface but then you realise that there are hidden complexities that make it far more difficult to solve.

And it's not lot like there isn't a whole lot of people in transport logistics who would be spending many the day wishing there was a simpler solution available, and thinking about all the different ones out there. Particular if you constantly had to deal with poo poo like trucks breaking down or getting delayed by random road closures and what not.

With the whole trains for transport thing, I remember seeing the cane sugar railway line up in QLD, which just connected a few different massive cane sugar farms to the sugar mills. From the road you could even see each farm seemed to have it's only little off shoot just long enough so train could park when it was getting loaded, then join up with the main line again. Just looked it up, apparently it has over 4000km of narrow gage track used by 250 train engines, which just for one commodity is a pretty impressive network to be honest.

https://www.lrrsa.org.au/LRR_SGRz.htm