Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

AEMINAL posted:

what's the most breathable backpack out there for commuting? just started commuting again and my old bag has this horrifically warm padded back that leaves me soaked on my back every time i ride the 35 min to or from work :(

looking for something available in the EU for around 100-150 euro tops!

and no i dont want saddle bags because they'll make my bike look bad >: (

Get the saddle bags. In distant second place would be a mtb or hiking backpack with a vented foam back panel or better yet a rigid frame that holds the bag away from your back, though you'll still get sweaty in my experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
wtf get panniers

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

You're all ignoring the ergonomic, thermal, and tactical advantages imparted by the fanny pack

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

AEMINAL posted:

what's the most breathable backpack out there for commuting? just started commuting again and my old bag has this horrifically warm padded back that leaves me soaked on my back every time i ride the 35 min to or from work :(

Have you looked at the various spacer options?
https://vauclusegear.com/products/ultralight-ventilation-backpack-frame

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

AEMINAL posted:

and no i dont want saddle bags because they'll make my bike look bad >: (

I'm with you, panniers suck. They look terrible, throw off the balance of the bike, and bounce around if you're not lucky enough to have smooth roads.

The only backpacks I know of that aren't going to trap sweat against your back are the Deuter ones with the mesh feature.

Here's one marketed towards hiking but they might have a more cycling appropriate one. I also think they're based out of Germany so you should be able to get them locally.

https://www.deuter.com/us-en/shop/backpacks/p225438-hiking-backpack-futura-25-sl

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Saddle bags aren't panniers.

Also, any option but panniers is dumb as hell and American

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Panniers are the move, but if for some reason that isn’t possible Osprey has some bike backpacks with a suspended mesh back

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Groda posted:

Also, any option but panniers is dumb as hell and American

This is a weird take - I don't think there's any particular national orientation around panniers vs backpacks.
If anything, the on-average longer bike commute distances for Americans means panniers are *more* common, not less.

Regardless: panniers own, recalibrate your sense of aesthetics OP

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I use a Skog a Kust hiking backpack and it works well for me. Comfortable, holds a lot and rainproof. Breathes reasonably well too.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Get a porteur rack + bag:

https://ilequipment.com/pages/porteur-rackbag

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

whatever happened to a good old fashioned rear rack and a scavenged milk crate. carries my backpack just fine, and farmers market hauls on the weekend

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Groda posted:

Where I'm from these terms are interchangeable.

What's the difference where you are?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Where I'm from these terms are interchangeable.

What's the difference where you are?

How can they be interchangeable?

A saddle bag *hangs from your saddle*, and can include anything from a tiny puncture repair kit to a small overnight bag (e.g. Carradice) which hangs from special buckle mounts on old school saddles.

Panniers hang from a pannier rack (metal frame attached to the frame on the seatstays & near the rear axle). They don’t go anywhere near your saddle , and can be from 10 to 30 litres per side.

e.g. Ortlieb back rollers.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

wooger posted:

How can they be interchangeable?

Both terms are descended from the old horse and pack animal days, as are the bags themselves.

With horses they would always be attached to an actual saddle, but not necessarily one that carried a rider. That same terms get used for motorcycles as well, which don't typically have a separate saddle to hang things from like bicycle do.

Bikes are the exception in this case oddly enough.

Given the history and other uses of the terms it makes total sense to use them interchangeably.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Gonna pile on here, panniers are absolutely the way to go, it's not even a question. Backpack is for people who ride their bike once a month and need to inflate the tube every time they ride because it's been too long. If you're buying a backpack specifically for bike use, you're the prime candidate for a pannier

I got the mega cheap ortleib city with no interior pockets and I still have them, they're about the size of a paper grocery sack and fully waterproof

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
No matter how airy the backpack, it will eventually develop that gym dank, which is totally not a problem with panniers.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Switching from a backpack to panniers was the best move I ever made as a regular cycle commuter and I'd never go back. Never found a backpack that wouldn't get sweaty and soak my tshirt.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I'm with you, panniers suck. They look terrible, throw off the balance of the bike, and bounce around if you're not lucky enough to have smooth roads.

The only backpacks I know of that aren't going to trap sweat against your back are the Deuter ones with the mesh feature.

Here's one marketed towards hiking but they might have a more cycling appropriate one. I also think they're based out of Germany so you should be able to get them locally.

https://www.deuter.com/us-en/shop/backpacks/p225438-hiking-backpack-futura-25-sl

Front bag that isn't attached to the steering.

Actually makes the bike more stable.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
What do you need to carry? You could go all Bike Packing if you want to look on trend right now. But as a lot of people are saying, panniers or even a big basket on front that you can dump your back pack into are probably the best bet.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I a gravel bike that I have a bike packing setup and a commuting setup for.

Saddlebag, framebag and harness on the front with a drybag for bike packing on gravel back-roads.

Rack and panniers for commuting everyday.

The saddlebag is nice and streamlined for long days on a bike, whereas panniers feel draggier whether that's because they are less streamlined or because there is more weight on the back. A saddlebag is much less practical though for city commuting. Hard to get on and off the bike, less storage and my panniers have a strap so it's much easier to take them with you when you lock up at your destination.

My next iteration of commuter will probably have a nice and wide front rack.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

I do not like paniers either. I have a similar setup to this instead. I can fit all my clothes and lunch in a rack bag.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

deong posted:

I do not like paniers either. I have a similar setup to this instead. I can fit all my clothes and lunch in a rack bag.

Balancing a heavy and wind / view blocking load on your fork seems insane when the back of your bike is empty and much better able to take it without affecting your steering.

Get good panniers imo - but I currently commute 5 miles each way with a backpack just for convenience and versatility; abandon the bike at work and go drinking then home via public transport, or vice versa the next day, without having to decant stuff into different bags or think about it.

For a longer commute though panniers are far more comfy.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I think the caveat to porteur rack + bag is if you have a mid-low trail bike it will work without affecting your steering at all.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
When I worked at a bike shop my manager gave me this cool giant roll top courier bag because he was tired of me looking like a nerd on a bike with pannier bags. Instead I looked like a sweaty nerd on a bike with a backpack. I admit it was a lot better looking but now that I'm back doing normal ppl work maybe it's time to go back to panniers.

At least my bike has tons of awesome stickers so I won't be giving up all my cred.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Hey everyone, tell me about your pants!

I’m thinking about changing up my commute clothes. I have a 7.5 mile ride that I’ve been doing for the last 7 months. I’m starting to get a little chaffed by my clothing. The biggest issue for me are the soft belt I use to keep my pants/shorts up. My rear end is fine on the seat, so I don’t think I need a chamois or anything (and pulling a sweaty pad back on for the ride home seems kinda ick).

I’m kinda hesitant to go full bib for a 35 minute commute. So what’s everyone else wearing?

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

this, i like this

thank you!

Dobbs_Head posted:

I’m thinking about changing up my commute clothes. I have a 7.5 mile ride that I’ve been doing for the last 7 months. I’m starting to get a little chaffed by my clothing. The biggest issue for me are the soft belt I use to keep my pants/shorts up. My rear end is fine on the seat, so I don’t think I need a chamois or anything (and pulling a sweaty pad back on for the ride home seems kinda ick).

I’m kinda hesitant to go full bib for a 35 minute commute. So what’s everyone else wearing?

currently wearing a loose set of uniqlo linen pants (for sun shade, you should see the rear end sweat stain they get wowee) w/ microfiber undies, a regular tee and my old busted new balances :q:

deffo looking for something better than my cheap rain jacket, i have to wash it every other day because it gets so sweaty.

any tips on best bang for the buck brands when it comes to biking uppers?

AEMINAL fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 10, 2023

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
This was my solution for commuting way back (6-7 years ago now?)

Front Rack + basket modified to fit under my handlebars. Used a Chrome Porteur bag and threw on whatever I wanted in there.

How the basket was setup:

Shadowhand00 fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 10, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

wooger posted:

Balancing a heavy and wind / view blocking load on your fork seems insane when the back of your bike is empty and much better able to take it without affecting your steering.
A front frame rack doesn't really influence your steering until you really load it up.

wooger posted:

Get good panniers imo - but I currently commute 5 miles each way with a backpack just for convenience and versatility; abandon the bike at work and go drinking then home via public transport, or vice versa the next day, without having to decant stuff into different bags or think about it.

For a longer commute though panniers are far more comfy.
In the netherlands I rode an essentially disposable omafiets with a fixed panier I could yeet my laptop bag into. Best of both worlds.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Signal device question:

On my e-bakfiets I've run both bell and horn for years and years. Since the rebuild with a shiny and nice bike I've felt bad putting back on the rusted out very cheaply made 36v horn from aliexpress that I've been using whenever the bell was insufficient. This horn was wired straight through the switch on the handlebar and sounded like a moped, which wasn't great honestly. It tended to annoy, confuse or startle pedestrians and cyclists more often than inform them through their heaphones that a big bicycle was coming. For drivers I often felt it lacked the oomph to express my opinions about their driving properly.

Now through division of labor I've snared bro who's good with these things into helping me re-jigger the electrical situation on the bike, and the horn button now pulls a relay that sends 12v to the yet to be bought device. This means I can use way more current if I want to and that I can go beep shopping at auto parts places where there's lots to choose from. What should I get? I'm thinking just a standard automobile two-tone setup? I figure it's best to talk to drivers in a language they understand, and since it's meant for emergencies only it might as well be properly loud.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I bought a cheap Hella two tone setup that drew under 10 amps at 12v (I forget exactly how much but that was the limit) and they were fantastic.

now that I am limited to 48v 1a on the ebike I have a military/forklift single horn and it is a little more moped-ey but not too bad.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If you don't get a huge ahooga horn yer ded to me

e: but really a decent hella twin tone doesn't draw much (s77 is like 40w) and they're nice.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 08:08 on May 11, 2023

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

evil_bunnY posted:

If you don't get a huge ahooga horn yer ded to me

The thought has entered my mind.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Just to pile on another thing: may just be my back/bad backpack but once I switched to panniers my shoulders and lower back felt so much better without stuff digging into them for an hour a day.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004
Carradice do an SQR mount that's great for taking their larger saddle bags on and off the bike without undoing all of the straps. I used it a lot when I was doing super lightweight cycle touring.

https://carradice.co.uk/shop/accessories/seatpost-quick-release-saddlebags/?v=79cba1185463

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Dobbs_Head posted:

I've resigned to just changing. My commute is a touch shorter but it makes me feel much cleaner throughout the day. Takes 5 minutes and let's me dial in the layering sitch a lot easier.

I also don't have to worry about my stuff getting greasy, caught in the chain, rain, or whatever. Lot of benefits but the downside is ofc you gotta pack your clothes in.

Don't really have a rec for pants though, sorry!

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Mr Newsman posted:

I've resigned to just changing.

Me too. My workplace doesn't have a dress code or anything, but I'm too proud to work in sweat pants or something. I keep pants at work just so I don't have to carry non-riding pants in the pannier every single day. My main legwear conundrum is long johns, which are more of a faff to change than pants are. Winter season is long john season both in the saddle and preferably on the job, and I hope to one day find long johns that are both comfy to wear all day (like merino wool) and sturdy enough to not become crotchless after a few weeks/months of commuting (like polyester) but if they exist they have eluded me. The merino/silk blend experiment didn't last long enough to warrant the price, very comfy though. Now long john season is over for a while thankfully, currently it's pollen allergy season instead, soon it will be flying insects-to-the-face season.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Heliosicle posted:

Just to pile on another thing: may just be my back/bad backpack but once I switched to panniers my shoulders and lower back felt so much better without stuff digging into them for an hour a day.

Riding up a hill with a heavy backpack is the worst. I have a Wald 582 folding basket on my rear rack that I throw my backpack into. It works well.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Changing at work is the pro tier move I literally didn't think about the bag situation from the perspective of someone that rides in their work clothes.

Seriously. Change at work. Keep a belt and shoes at your workplace so you can commute in clipless if you decide to or at least not worry about getting your regular shoes grungy hitting a mud puddle or riding in rain. It's so much better.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Mr Newsman posted:

I've resigned to just changing.

Same, for at least 2/3 of the year. If it’s likely to be wet it’s crazy to soak real clothes when I have bibs/bibtights & jerseys/ jackets that are way more comfy and easy to wash and dry. I leave a stash of clothes at work.

Even in summer I’m likely to be going on an extended ride for fun/training immediately from work on half of my commute days, so I wear bibs anyway.

In summer when there’s not a heatwave I’m fine cycling in stretch jeans, and I have some vulpine cycling jeans that have no seams on the crotch and some little reflective bits that are perfect.

Underwear choice is important, you want no seams on the saddle - so under armour or some other sports underwear is good. Vulpine also do some merino ‘lightly padded’ boxer briefs that I might try at some point, though my commute is short enough not to care much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Yeep posted:

Carradice do an SQR mount that's great for taking their larger saddle bags on and off the bike without undoing all of the straps. I used it a lot when I was doing super lightweight cycle touring.

https://carradice.co.uk/shop/accessories/seatpost-quick-release-saddlebags/?v=79cba1185463

I love my SQR bag, my friend got jealous of how easy it was and had to get one too.