Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I was incautious about positioning and a frox ate my car

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm always so shocked and hurt when they break my vehicle and I don't think it's my fault for parking in their stupid little camp.

I just fought a tough enemy whose guts I really wanted, but it died right on top of a upward air gusty thing, which blew the prices up and down until some of them started to fall off in random directions or got knocked down by me trying to catch them. I think I got most of them eventually lol but I was annoyed and impressed with how far and wide this crap blew away.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One time I tried activating my boat with an axe and it just caused my entire boat to fall apart

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

there's a jenga shrine :)

e: and i don't think i did it the intended way

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
hi thread i can't wait for reviews.
game good?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Vookatos posted:

hi thread i can't wait for reviews.
game good?

The game is loving HUGE, so I have no idea what it is in yet, despite having played it already for what feels 20 hours.

1) For people that want story heavy elements, the game is slighly worse?, I have yet to see story elements has impactful has the first. And I am surprised less because I already know the world, so is hard to be fair to TOK.

2) The game is more and a better SANDBOX for people to play. Instead of a small minority of people doing weird contractions with the powers, every player is going to invent something nobody has created that is usefull and cool. For people that like sandbox games, this game is 3 times better than BOTW.

3) The game is loving huge, with stuff that has dev love instead of being filler. RPG players will enjoy this. A lot of people is going to jump on the game, and never see the light of the day for 3 months, then reappear with a loving huge smiley (or maybe not, often that depends on the ending for RPG players, if the ending feels satysfying)

For me, the game is x3 times better and x3 times bigger. But its possible to describe the game in other terms, and I don't relate to that other view.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
There are some really long story cutscenes and sections in the game. Not quite Kojima long but long enough I gotta get up and stretch my legs to keep focus. A lot more story than I remember from the first, but I also mostly remember being annoyed when I had to do Zelda flashbacks on it.

I've been switching the voice acting around since you can do it so easily from the menu without any kind of reload. I think German for Desert friend is my fav of the bunch followed by Japanese.

I had a forced perspective puzzle today! I love those, wasn't expecting it here let alone in the context they had it. I was stumped for a while too. Wonder if there are others like it I've missed haha

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ugh, came across this really annoying sorta-bug in Ihen-a Shrine. In the final part where you're supposed to hit the ball across, my first attempt sent it falling into this area far below (which prevented it from respawning). After a while of confusion (about it not respawning), I noticed it was down there and went down myself so I could drop it into the void (which probably made it respawn up above). But there's no way back up, and when I fall down into the void myself it respawned me...down on the bottom area that you can't leave. So I'm basically completely stuck and have to restart the shrine, which is a huge pain because it was pretty tedious; puzzles where you have to move a bunch of platforms around are fun the first time, but not so much when repeated.

edit: God dammit, it fell down there again. This sucks! Worst shrine yet.

If anyone else remembers this one - do I need the long rectangular plate from earlier in the level? Normally I'd assume that everything necessary is provided in the room in question, but I can't think of any reasonable way to do it without that plate (but to get that plate I have to go back to the beginning of the Shrine and rebuild all the steps again...)

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 11, 2023

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Hoo boy this sure is blurry..

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

Shoehead posted:

Hoo boy this sure is blurry..

Not gonna check but I’m going to assume this is the tequila time travel poster

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1103101476185833623/1106059467428208660/1683766436500264.webm

God I can't wait to play this myself

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Not gonna check but I’m going to assume this is the tequila time travel poster

I've gone from emulation to my old launch switch and even in docked mode it's bumping down the resolution to keep up with things. Having shaders that work is nice, having an old botw save is nice too, but I'm about 7 hours into the game on pc and now I'm torn on which way to continue

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I had a "bad" experience with a Shrine. My first impression was "this is imposible", but after the first thing I tried, the puzzle solved itself.

I had the impression the puzzle was intended to be more complex, the devs had a more complex solution in mind. I don't remember the name, but had a balls pit and a big whell.

Also, after doing a lot of them, I think a lot are more tutorials than puzzles. A way for the game to showtech you a use of the powers, in case you have not figured out that yet.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I managed to softlock myself in the first shrine by attaching the platform with the hook I made to the one that's moving above you. No way to deattach it afterward

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I miss the paraglider.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Crawfish posted:

I miss the paraglider.

Keep playing

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Crawfish posted:

I miss the paraglider.

If you finished the tutorial already, go back and do the quest for Purrah. You really need that thing.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Oh no, I just started, and I know about getting it.

Just feels weird not having that movement. Altitude naked or something.

The rudest bird. drat.

Crawfish fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 11, 2023

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Has anyone confirmed yet whether or not stables are more chill about housing non-horses

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Argue posted:

Has anyone confirmed yet whether or not stables are more chill about housing non-horses

I haven't tried, but i also haven't seen anybody saying you can which.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Argue posted:

I dunno about deer, but bears still scare the people at the stable and you can't talk to anyone because they cower when it is close.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
What exactly does the water ability do?

I get the shield protecting you from one hit, but does the attack increase damage or what? It feel's pretty useless because you haveto chase the ghost down to get the shield in the first place so you can't use it reactively, then if you attack the shield dissipates anyway so it's hard to use preemptively. Am i missing some crazy combo? The others at least feel like they have good utility.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

really hate the way they did abilities in this, having to chase the stupid ghost down

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I really don't get why they did it that way, honestly. Surely there's some bullshit they could've shoved into the wheel to make the dpad activate those instead?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

CJ posted:

What exactly does the water ability do?

I get the shield protecting you from one hit, but does the attack increase damage or what? It feel's pretty useless because you haveto chase the ghost down to get the shield in the first place so you can't use it reactively, then if you attack the shield dissipates anyway so it's hard to use preemptively. Am i missing some crazy combo? The others at least feel like they have good utility.

nah afaik the water ability is nearly entirely replaceable with "a water balloon" and a hydrant mechanism is generally significantly better in the situations the water ability was "intended" for, even the dungeon boss itself that you'd think would be made around using that ability

the only niche usage for sidon I can even concieve of is "if you're attacking something that's immune to physical attacks, all your other magic-based abilites are on cooldown and you don't want to waste a single elemental fruit" or "if you're just so incredibly desperately lost in a hot area, have literally nothing that can cool you down including water hydrant mechanisms, and aren't actually going to attack anything, just run away"k

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

queeb posted:

really hate the way they did abilities in this, having to chase the stupid ghost down

Infinity Gaia posted:

I really don't get why they did it that way, honestly. Surely there's some bullshit they could've shoved into the wheel to make the dpad activate those instead?

not having it as a dpad down selection menu and keeping horse whistling as a dedicated button after patching out whistle sprinting was some real shoe on head design there

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

man speedrunning of this will be wild, i restarted on PC and just did the entire rito area dungeon sub 10 minutes including single phasing the boss each time, and im bad at games

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
speaking of whistling I got this BOTW clip in my recommendations on YouTube after looking up Zelda reviews and I love all the weird ways game mechanics can be abused like this

https://youtu.be/UKaEMpOu114

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Zelda!!!

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Many people are saying this

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Shoehead posted:

I've gone from emulation to my old launch switch and even in docked mode it's bumping down the resolution to keep up with things. Having shaders that work is nice, having an old botw save is nice too, but I'm about 7 hours into the game on pc and now I'm torn on which way to continue

Shaders working on emulator now just takes a little legwork. I am curious what it's like for the old save stuff to carry over but I haven't really seen what would be different besides having old horses and maybe the hateno house is diff?

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Okay dang, was not expecting tutorial area to take over 4 hours.

Entering the rest of the map with 120+ arrows though, so I can't complain.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Khanstant posted:

Shaders working on emulator now just takes a little legwork. I am curious what it's like for the old save stuff to carry over but I haven't really seen what would be different besides having old horses and maybe the hateno house is diff?

Yeah most things look OK for me except for rocks but tbh I thought that was weird stylised lichen until I got out of the tutorial.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Can some kind soul post a generic "things to do first" list? Particularly in terms of useful abilities that will help with exploration. I hate getting something late the would have ended up being a great help earlier.

So far, all I've gathered is "Do Robbie's quests ASAP"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do Robbie’s quests and the Rito stuff, break every box for arrows, go under the Great Plateau

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Shoehead posted:

Yeah most things look OK for me except for rocks but tbh I thought that was weird stylised lichen until I got out of the tutorial.

Yeah all that jazz got fixed, someone on the newyuzupiracy subreddit has been posting a guide everyday with the latest fixes in a pretty easy to follow list. Rock textures, steady 30fps (the 60fos has double speed cutscenes so hard pass on it for now to me), docked, no flicker, depths and shadows and clouds all working, looks and feels great now.

Also seems likely Yuzu will officially update tomorrow or very soon to have it work out of the box.

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.

Escobarbarian posted:

Do Robbie’s quests and the Rito stuff, break every box for arrows, go under the Great Plateau

This is absolutely right. It’s by far the most impactful stuff you can do. Also you want hearts not stamina, there’s lots of stuff you can take down reasonably easily but there’s a huge difference between getting one shot and two shot since you can just chug food assuming you can survive a hit. Also with all the tools you get I’ve basically never felt gated by stamina unlike in botw

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Books On Tape posted:

Can some kind soul post a generic "things to do first" list? Particularly in terms of useful abilities that will help with exploration. I hate getting something late the would have ended up being a great help earlier.

Go to Lookout Town and do the stuff there. Then I'd visit Rito city, Death Mountain, and Great Plateau, any order seems like they'd be helpful with any other but that's the one I did.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Yarrington posted:

This is absolutely right. It’s by far the most impactful stuff you can do. Also you want hearts not stamina, there’s lots of stuff you can take down reasonably easily but there’s a huge difference between getting one shot and two shot since you can just chug food assuming you can survive a hit. Also with all the tools you get I’ve basically never felt gated by stamina unlike in botw

This is the opposite of true. If you are at full health you can't be one shot so 3 hearts and some food to top you back up is perfectly viable. Get that stamina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Books On Tape posted:

The quest in the starting town gets you the glider. After that go to the room below to get the quest line from Robbie, you need to do that questline to unlock all the old features of the sheikah slate. Also keep coming back to that town and checking around for new quests as you progress. There are several important things like the korok seed guy moves there after you find him, and questlines for other types of collectables you should unlock sooner rather than later.

The great fairy is by the stable northwest of that starting town, other than that i think all the useful stuff you should unlock early is on the path to Rito village so probably do that first.

Never use a weapon that isn't fused. They are designed to do no damage without fusing something that boosts damage to it, and they gain durability by doing so.