Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Most of my team is newer or hockey casual. We play on vibes and good feelings. And we just talk when we get back to the bench about what works and what doesn’t. Basic things like lanes on zone entries happen from just going up the ice and trying to get in different lanes. And we talk a little in the locker room about basic D zone coverage because the wingers like to crash too deep and leave the points open.

So most of it ends up kind of random a lot of the time, but we’re also mostly old enough with kids and don’t have time to add another practice to the schedule for the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Even the dudes that played up through college realize beer league is bullshit and do whatever out there. The more people on the ice there are that played high level the more organized it looks but it's not because they're running a system it's just because they've all had enough training that they know how to support the play and trust that everyone else does too.

But other than that? It's complete chaos. Just play hockey.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Chill la Chill posted:

Also was wondering for those of you who picked up the game as an adult, how did you learn what systems or strategies to use when you got on a team? There’s no coach so you’re not really directed anywhere and I doubt most teams even have practice time scheduled during stick and pucks.

Do lower level teams just play on vibes?

Basically vibes plus I’ve played with some of these dudes for like 8 years so I know Kevin is always putting the puck up the boards to get it out of our zone and John is absolutely never going to pass in the offensive end.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Chill la Chill posted:

Also was wondering for those of you who picked up the game as an adult, how did you learn what systems or strategies to use when you got on a team? There’s no coach so you’re not really directed anywhere and I doubt most teams even have practice time scheduled during stick and pucks.

Do lower level teams just play on vibes?

Literally NHL video games and watching the NHL is how I learned the general flow of the game. Once I started playing I watched videos of specific things. Like how to defend/attack on a 2-1. Or videos of each position and where they should be for offense and defense.
I'm not the best source I guess but I've been told I have pretty good hockey IQ when I'm playing. Always in the right place at the right time, I just can't do anything with a stick so I never score

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Getting on a D league team that knows basic hockey positioning is the difference between facing 50 shots a game and facing like 20.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
I saw this early in my picked-it-up-as-an-adult playing career and use it as the basis for the teams I've run. There's some stuff here that may not be applicable to lower-level beer league play, like trying to use the glass to clear the puck (I'd wager a lot of lower level players don't have the strength or accuracy to get the puck all the way out by doing this), but in general it's a good overview.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

bgreman posted:

I saw this early in my picked-it-up-as-an-adult playing career and use it as the basis for the teams I've run. There's some stuff here that may not be applicable to lower-level beer league play, like trying to use the glass to clear the puck (I'd wager a lot of lower level players don't have the strength or accuracy to get the puck all the way out by doing this), but in general it's a good overview.

I like that diagram, it covers a ton of stuff and if you can remember a bunch of it you'll have a bit more success. As a winger though, I do honestly wish my D would stop clearing it up the glass when there's no one in between us and just put it on my tape so I can turn and breakout. But it's a good idea when there is. Also, as I play left wing and most of the D are right handed, they don't often turn up the left wall anyway, so learn your team and adjust for them. It's never off the glass where I can grab it with my hand either, it's always too high or down by my knees.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thanks for the diagram. Yeah I guess that's the thing that can't really be reclaimed or experienced again is the feeling of team sports as a kid with a coach structured setting and all.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I scored 2 goals today woo!
We won 3-1. I had 2 assists on goals that were waved off but we're absolutely goals. There was 1 ref chilling at the blue line. He believed them over our team but they 100% crossed the goal line and their players swept them out. Mildly annoyed about that.
Playing center is fun!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

RC Cola posted:

I scored 2 goals today woo!
We won 3-1. I had 2 assists on goals that were waved off but we're absolutely goals. There was 1 ref chilling at the blue line. He believed them over our team but they 100% crossed the goal line and their players swept them out. Mildly annoyed about that.
Playing center is fun!

Do you use a wooden or composite stick for center? I've been enjoying center during scrimmages just so I get more back and forth play but with faceoffs I wince thinking about how my poor composite gets hit vs. my harder wood

e: Was looking at other gloves so I can rotate through 2 pairs and let one dry fully if I'm playing on back to back days. Does anyone know what material this is and if it's more durable compared to the usual pro stock thinner material? https://www.prostockhockey.com/player-protective/gloves/14-true-catalyst-9x-gloves-garnet-hathaway-washington-capitals/ I saw a story of Hathaway spraying their gloves when they changed teams so I'm thinking that means they're one of those players who prizes durability and doesn't throw away gloves every game like some players.

The other pro stock gloves I have now are already starting to thin and I'll def get a more durable material when it gets repalmed.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 15, 2023

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Chill la Chill posted:

Do you use a wooden or composite stick for center? I've been enjoying center during scrimmages just so I get more back and forth play but with faceoffs I wince thinking about how my poor composite gets hit vs. my harder wood

e: Was looking at other gloves so I can rotate through 2 pairs and let one dry fully if I'm playing on back to back days. Does anyone know what material this is and if it's more durable compared to the usual pro stock thinner material? https://www.prostockhockey.com/player-protective/gloves/14-true-catalyst-9x-gloves-garnet-hathaway-washington-capitals/ I saw a story of Hathaway spraying their gloves when they changed teams so I'm thinking that means they're one of those players who prizes durability and doesn't throw away gloves every game like some players.

The other pro stock gloves I have now are already starting to thin and I'll def get a more durable material when it gets repalmed.

Composite because its the only stick I have!

Also we won our second playoff game last night 5-4 against the #1 seed and reigning champions. The way the bracket is set up though we play them again in game 4 if they win next week. Very dumb. I scored a goal against their piece of poo poo guy known for injuring people. He cross checked me in the back and as I went down on one knee and slid past the goal line I backhanded the puck in just behind the goalie as he tried to slide over. Felt so loving good. Then I chirped him real good for injuring my wife last fall. loving dirty rear end player in D league beer hockey

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Well I was hoping to get gloves repalmed by this place someday but..

https://twitter.com/customprorepair/status/1659617883020746752?s=46&t=QUqDwHQ6CQtxNHCyvCVHig

Their work was amazing

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I know it’s nothing impressive but I’ve been working on edges and I can do a 45 degree lean on curves now. It feels nice especially the almost shuffling motion of smaller crossunders

Been trying to get my legs stronger so I can do one foot slaloms and shoot the duck. Anyone here able to do it with shin pads on? Probably best to do it off but it doesn’t seem like it should restrict any bending motion

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
That’s something that we work on with the kids and their skating in full gear. Not usually shooting as part of the drill, but one foot slaloms up and down the ice on each foot. Then try to do it backwards. Not really something that comes up in adult learn to play. So A+.

The other thing we work on in skating drills is jumps and recovery. The one foot version is straight line jumps on one foot down into your hockey position and pushing off as you jump forward again. I’d recommend you start with the two foot version where you start in a swizzle, jump, click your boots together, and land in the start of an out pushing swizzle.

Do these things in full gear, it hurts to fall on the ice and it’ll help with balance more when you’re playing. Don’t need a stick if you’re on ice during open skate.

Shooting drills will build on the mobility while working on puck agility skill, but having a solid skating base is very awesome and makes adding the other parts a lot easier.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

shoot the duck

It was demoralizing watching my daughters do this (and everything else tbh) with ease when they were figure skaters. I can’t even do that poo poo in shoes without falling over.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It was demoralizing watching my daughters do this (and everything else tbh) with ease when they were figure skaters. I can’t even do that poo poo in shoes without falling over.

That's because figure skaters do that all the time. Hockey players train the explosive leg strength more than the static version. There are far more situations for the active strength in a game. Still useful, but I see them training it more off ice in the weight room than spending ice time doing it. We do full glides down the ice while in hockey position with your stick out in front of your head instead.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jhet posted:

Drill tips

Thanks for the tips. I’ve been progressing on the drills from here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp0Y3BDDp4A and I should be doing more of the jumping ones. I can do basic two foot jumps but I think it’s the fear of landing wrong and twisting ankles that’s getting to me right now

I was casually browsing Reddit again and this is a good sobering read as to expectations for team sales at least:
https://www.reddit.com/r/hockeyplayers/comments/13p2vro/pro_tip_if_you_live_near_an_nhl_team_find_out_if/

Not to mention that I’m really only looking for another pair of gloves to rotate through and don’t really care enough to resell things. But I do get excited at the tales of people spending only $3-400 on all their non skate gear even though I only spent about that much myself.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

Thanks for the tips. I’ve been progressing on the drills from here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp0Y3BDDp4A and I should be doing more of the jumping ones. I can do basic two foot jumps but I think it’s the fear of landing wrong and twisting ankles that’s getting to me right now

I was casually browsing Reddit again and this is a good sobering read as to expectations for team sales at least:
https://www.reddit.com/r/hockeyplayers/comments/13p2vro/pro_tip_if_you_live_near_an_nhl_team_find_out_if/

Not to mention that I’m really only looking for another pair of gloves to rotate through and don’t really care enough to resell things. But I do get excited at the tales of people spending only $3-400 on all their non skate gear even though I only spent about that much myself.

There are a ton of great drills in that video, and a ton that are aimed more at advanced players and skaters. You'll know where you fit, but we use lvl 45 a ton with the kids and is one of the ones I was describing. The other thing to consider is a lot of drills will have skating/edge portions built into them. So if you see a cool drill somewhere, look at the technique being practiced in the different turns and moves. That's where we spend the most time working on edges because we only get the kids for a couple hours a week for practice.

The NHL team sales are hit and miss, and often accompanied by really long lines. The Kraken one last year was about 200 people deep early, and a lot of it is being bought as souvenirs. Don't feel too bad if you can't get to one, you're missing out more by not going to Canada (or Minnesota/Massachusetts/Colorado) and buying used gear.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Gloves in particular, the few times I went to the Preds sale, the gloves available were all just absolutely destroyed and gross.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Big hockey weekend. No games for my C/beginner ice league, but some guys that I occasionally play inline hockey with went down to Beaverton, OR for the Memorial Day Tournament Friday-Sunday at Indoor Goals. We got four round robin games and a playoff game - we were bounced in the 4 v 5 play-in.

Closest games were the first and second of the weekend - first against an 18u travel team, lost 5-3 with and ENG scored against us with under a minute to play. Second game lost 4-3 to the second place team in our division. Rest of the games we played teams in higher divisions and got shut out in all three.

Not bad for a team of old guys that don’t play organized inline hockey. Youngest player was an ice hockey teammate of mine that’s 21, next youngest was 34. Oldest was 42. There’s only drop in inline games where I live, so I wasn’t expecting to do much winning.

We’ve got sweet jerseys though, and everyone wants to find more tournaments to play in. Ate lots of bananas and drank lots of beers. Had good times with good dudes playing bad hockey.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I just had two hat tricks in 2 games last week, including one in my upper level league that I really don't belong in. That'll never happen again, so it felt really good.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
So my brother has shoehorned me into this lineup, I thought they were just getting a beer leaguer buddy of O.A.R for their net but very much feeling like the odd one out now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

titanium posted:

So my brother has shoehorned me into this lineup, I thought they were just getting a beer leaguer buddy of O.A.R for their net but very much feeling like the odd one out now.

what the gently caress lol

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

titanium posted:

That’s awesome.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Erik Stolhanske? As in Rabbit from Super Troopers?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

titanium posted:

I love that the Stars franchise is so poo poo that Modano has just adopted the Wild as his alma mater.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

I love that the Stars franchise is so poo poo that Modano has just adopted the Wild as his alma mater.

It doesn't hurt that he works in the front office, but also yes. It doesn't matter where you go after you're in Minnesota, you can always go back and it'll be home.

Except for Ryan Suter, he should go back to Wisconsin.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I saw titanium play IRL a long time back and I was constantly going "what the gently caress, how is he that good???". This was at a beer league goalie clinic in Chicago and I could barely skate at that point.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Erik Stolhanske? As in Rabbit from Super Troopers?

Yeah I think he has some MN connection, should be a blast but I need to dial in if I'm going to keep up with the other keeps.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

These games are always so awesome. A mix of pros, famous guys, and bankers / rich dudes.

Have fun!!!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Ok so I've become decent at hockey. After starting ice skating a year ago and doing learn to play late summer/early fall.

I scored 2 goals and got an assist on my Thursday game, then scored the only shootout goal on either team to send us to the championship game.

Then last night I scored the first 2 goals and got an assist on the third for our 4-1 win.

The secret is I moved my shinguards to over the tongue of my skate, and switched from 1/2 to 3/4 cut on my skate. But also it's 90% the 3/4 cut. Suddenly I can skate. It's loving insane what a difference is. I can finally turn now, I'm so much faster. I can actually keep momentum instead of constantly stopping to switch directions. It's incredible.
It's so easy to score goals when I'm just so much faster than anyone else that I get like 10 breakaways again. Luckily I'm 33 and I hear that's when you really start gaining speed

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

RC Cola posted:

The secret is I moved my shinguards to over the tongue of my skate, and switched from 1/2 to 3/4 cut on my skate. But also it's 90% the 3/4 cut. Suddenly I can skate. It's loving insane what a difference is. I can finally turn now, I'm so much faster. I can actually keep momentum instead of constantly stopping to switch directions. It's incredible.
It's so easy to score goals when I'm just so much faster than anyone else that I get like 10 breakaways again. Luckily I'm 33 and I hear that's when you really start gaining speed

It's interesting that you went to the larger cut. I went smaller from 5/8" to 1/2" and my skating feels better, I can turn faster/tighter and pick up speed better. At this point I'd expect to feel like I'm moving in molasses if I went with a larger radius. I am enjoying the speed I get from it and made a bunch of opportunities last night. I should try to push myself and see if I can't skate up in a bit higher of a division and see how I can hang. They pass better that we do, which is where all the speed comes from once you hit 35, because it's downhill from there.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Last skate sharpening I went from 9/16 to 5/8 and trying it out. I'll try that for a bit and try 1/2 for a bit and see where I settle, but good to know it does make some difference. So far, though, 5/8 feels pretty good but that could just be my mohawks and lateral stepovers/undercuts being stronger.

Just as a side note, if you change ROH and are getting more chatter I think it's called, where the blade feels like it's "skipping", when doing tight turns and punch turns, is that good or bad? I can't tell if it's the ROH or if it's that I'm actually putting more pressure on the blade now

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 13, 2023

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

Last skate sharpening I went from 9/16 to 5/8 and trying it out. I'll try that for a bit and try 1/2 for a bit and see where I settle, but good to know it does make some difference. So far, though, 5/8 feels pretty good but that could just be my mohawks and lateral stepovers/undercuts being stronger.

Just as a side note, if you change ROH and are getting more chatter I think it's called, where the blade feels like it's "skipping", when doing tight turns and punch turns, is that good or bad? I can't tell if it's the ROH or if it's that I'm actually putting more pressure on the blade now

If your skates are chattering (not good, wouldn't want to wipe out because of it) than your radius/hollow is probably too deep and you should use a bigger radius on the blade. If you chatter a lot at 5/8 you should probably go back up. But if you're just trying it out, give it a few sessions and see if it goes away as you adapt to the change in size.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I've been skating 5/8 for awhile and found it helped me a lot. Or it was enough of a placebo effect to feel like it helped :lol:.

I do find every once and awhile, I'll get chatter on a fresh cut but then it goes away after a few minutes of skating.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jhet posted:

If your skates are chattering (not good, wouldn't want to wipe out because of it) than your radius/hollow is probably too deep and you should use a bigger radius on the blade. If you chatter a lot at 5/8 you should probably go back up. But if you're just trying it out, give it a few sessions and see if it goes away as you adapt to the change in size.

By go back up, do you mean going back to 9/16 or going further like 11/16?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Someone in my last game had the nickname "stone mitts" and I felt seen

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fractions for skate radius is bullshit and Canada could do us all a great service by forcing everyone to switch to millimeters. They're still the authority on hockey, right??

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Today was the first time playing organized hockey since I separated my shoulder a year ago. Shoulder-wise, I felt great. Hockey-wise, it had its ups and downs. The nice thing was it didn't feel as fast as it normally does, so keeping up wasn't an issue, but my shooting and stick-handling have gotten really rusty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

By go back up, do you mean going back to 9/16 or going further like 11/16?

If you didn't chatter where you were cutting previously, go back to it. You can always try a larger radius too, but if you were having success at 9/16 and chatter at 5/8 then go back to 9/16. The smaller the radius, the more likely you will chatter more.

That said, depending on which ice rink I'm skating on (even in the same complex) some days will just be trashy ice and I'll chatter a little. So maybe you just had bad ice and should try it again. Or maybe you just had a bad cut on the blades and it'll be better after an hour skating on it.