Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

:flame:

Six spotted beetles? They were hanging out and hunting ants or something on that log.

what is this guy doing? did he just take a dump?

poop id please, coastal VA wetlands. There were a bunch of these around a small area looking exactly the same with no indication of what was eaten. I have looked at pictures of every poop i can think of and nothing looks like this :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I was cleaning out my grandma's shed and found this friendly recluse. I gently shoo'd it out of the box with my hand with no issue. The poster a few pages back is right about these guys getting a bad rap. They are neat and good.

Tell them to stop climbing into clothing that is hung up. I’ve had to be on antibiotics multiple times to clear up recluse bites that appear to be going necrotic. Also, tell them to stop biting people that accidentally brush a blade of grass next to the jogging trail in this area, cause I actually have a easily treatable reaction to their bites instead of requiring skin grafts like the joggers that periodically get bit. gently caress brown recluses. If they did their own thing like the rest of the spiders, including staying out of my bed and clothes, I’d be fine with them. But they do not.

Also, the black spider that killed a cellar spider was, in turn, killed by a cellar spider a few feet away from the original the following night. I saw it in the embrace of the victorious cellar spider. RIP feisty black spider. Thank you for convincing fellow goons to teach me more science.

2 spiders followed me in from the little alcove by my door to the outside yesterday. One was a crab shaped one that was on the door frame to the bathroom last I saw it. One was a tiny jumping spider.

Some itty bitty beetle also rambled in while I was opening the door to see if the spiders would like to go back out. Little jumping spider pounced, then jumped back like,”oops, I didn’t mean to jump on that.” I’m guessing it is a baby.
I haven’t seen it since, but it blends into almost everything pretty well, so I’m hoping it’s okay.

Edit: Tried getting a decent picture without scaring the frog, but did not succeed.

I think it is the same one that came out of rumination in my little alcove since that’s, like, max size for gray tree frogs. Earlier in the night, the chihuahua was refusing to come in because she had to bark at the tree frog, even though she could not determine where it was singing. I think all the other tree frogs are actually in the trees. This one hangs out by still water and sings, so I think it is probably a lady.

Bored fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 10, 2023

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

The Red Queen posted:

I swear sometimes after a missed strike birds of prey sit there and sulk. I had a Cooper's in my yard that seemed like he was just stewing after missing a shot at a pigeon.

I know exactly what you're talking about! We were hiking once, came around a corner, and there's a red-tail hawk pawing around in the fallen leaves. She looked up, saw us, and flapped her way over to a tree across the trail. She fluffed up her feathers a bit and sat, staring at us, while my husband got out his camera to take a picture. I could practically hear her saying "What are you looking at, human? Nothing to see here. Move along!" We think she was looking for a mouse in the leaf litter, but it got away.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

poop looks like deer scat maybe

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

my cat is norris posted:

poop looks like deer scat maybe

Yeah, when deer are getting that rich spring forage their pellets get all mushy like that.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

poverty goat posted:

Six spotted beetles? They were hanging out and hunting ants or something on that log.

Yah these are tiger beetles, love their taxonomic name Cicindela sexguttata

Also they are quick as hell. Great bug to find. That tick not so much, we are having a loving tick Renaissance here in NY because the winter was so mild

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Yah these are tiger beetles, love their taxonomic name Cicindela sexguttata

Also they are quick as hell. Great bug to find. That tick not so much, we are having a loving tick Renaissance here in NY because the winter was so mild

I've already had two bites this year, the first back in loving early march, and the second was a deer tick

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Magpies are rebels by nature.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

I spotted crab-looking spider and took it back outside. I finally looked up what the crab-looking spiders are and they are “crab spiders”. Also, they changed color to match their surroundings, which is neat.

This one has started to go lighter than it was when it originally came inside. I put it by the door, since that is usually where I saw it hunting at night. It sidled into a hole in the foundation to good behind some rocks.

It is supposed to be hanging out on flowers, according to the article I found about them changing colors, so I think putting this one outside was probably the right move.

https://www.colorado.edu/asmagazine-archive/node/1001

Edit: oh, mine is not the one that makes color changes for camouflage. But spiders apparently also change color based on diet. This article has a very fashionable common house spider.

https://spidersinohio.net/color-shifts/

Bored fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 10, 2023

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Why hello there, little buddy.

(He was safely deposited back outside.)

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

skink.
It is a very curious skink. I spotted it earlier having a staring match with the cat.

Edit: actually, I think it was a bigger skink staring at the cat.

They don’t have blue tails right now, but I don’t know if that will change. They currently have black tails, if the first skunk is anything to go by.

Also, if they are prairie skinks, today might be skink orgy day and poking their heads out might be them politely saying,”a little privacy, please.”

That does sound super cute.
\/\/\/\/

Bored fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 11, 2023

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Went fishing today on the river. Caught a bluegill and while I was fussing with it, a water snake came up to see what was going on. Did the whole Nessie thing, periscoping their head out of the water. It was super cute and I wish I got a picture.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

So there were two crab spiders. 1 has gone back outside. But I don’t know if this one originally came from outside. I think crab spiders are all ambush hunters who just chill on plants. Anyway, it skittered into its hide hole at dawn.

I had to close the door because that cat kept being all,”Whacha doing’?”

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

This beetle was looking pretty banged up, but it flew away so it must have been okay.

Hares are a dime a dozen around here, but actual bunnies are a rare treat.

I'm just never going to use this sink again.

I also found a sluggish bumblebee in my basement the other day but I don't have any pictures because when I went to take one post-sugar water rehab it flew out of the container and I had to chase it around my kitchen before the cats got it.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i never expected to get gifts from the squirrels. but my favorite one just ran up to me w/ a bone and dropped it in front of me to ask for a treat

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Someone had a good day of fishing and their refuse washed up by the house I’m staying in. Had a steady cavalcade of black and turkey vultures til the tide came back up :3

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

poverty goat posted:

i never expected to get gifts from the squirrels. but my favorite one just ran up to me w/ a bone and dropped it in front of me to ask for a treat

Maybe they want you to solve a crime like some kind of reverse Rescuers/RR scenario.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

poverty goat posted:

Like, crows do that for people who feed them regularly because they have an idea of “fair trade,” iirc. I would not have expected a squirrel to do that either. I have a very difficult time reading squirrels, though.

Last night a bunch of clicking frogs were gathered around the pond. I swear it sounded like there was a beatnik club out there.
This sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLL2mjTw2UU

But a bunch surrounding a decent sized pond.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I started feeding crows in hopes they would bring me something but so far all they’ve given me is the sounds of crows cawing outside my house more often.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Murdstone posted:

I started feeding crows in hopes they would bring me something but so far all they’ve given me is the sounds of crows cawing outside my house more often.

Yeah, same here, and they still fly off as soon as I open the door. These peanuts aren't cheap you know!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Yeah, same here, and they still fly off as soon as I open the door. These peanuts aren't cheap you know!

Make it a game of "whichever of you tolerates me gets first crack at all the peanuts" but start with a TINY bit of toleration like maybe just you watching through a window or cracked door or something where they can see you, maybe not even making eye contact, whatever they can just almost tolerate. And then work up slowly from there as the brave ones hopefully start to figure out that you aren't going to try to eat them, even if you see them stealing your peanuts

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 17, 2023

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Hummingbirds are doing tons of mating displays and aerial dogfights. One of the girls just came to the middle of the patio to see what I was up to.

The owner of the house put out a bowl of sugar water for bees so that they leave the hummingbird feeders alone. Ants have discovered the bee water. I watched the male hummingbird go over, grab an ant snack, then proceed to the hummingbird feeder. It’s a one-stop hummingbird shop, here.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Bored posted:

Like, crows do that for people who feed them regularly because they have an idea of “fair trade,” iirc. I would not have expected a squirrel to do that either. I have a very difficult time reading squirrels, though.

Last night a bunch of clicking frogs were gathered around the pond. I swear it sounded like there was a beatnik club out there.
This sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLL2mjTw2UU

But a bunch surrounding a decent sized pond.
Critterquest 2023: I have a very difficult time reading squirrels

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Check out this bad boi. He was even more orange irl

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

There is a robin who has set up her nest just under the roof overhang of my building. Just tucked away enough that not many people have noticed the nest, but accessible if you're willing to duck behind the electrical transformer. Well today I took a peek with my phone camera and look! BABIES!

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Had some big rains here in south texas and the frogs are all comin out and gettin BIZAY

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

thank you mods

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Hihohe posted:

Had some big rains here in south texas and the frogs are all comin out and gettin BIZAY

Those are toads--you can tell from the dry warty skin and big poison glands behind their eyes. Fun little guys. I was once in a town where they had just had some sort of toad convention and all the ditches were full of egg masses. Might be something to look out for.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Sounds like more of an orgy than a convention.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

McGavin posted:

Sounds like more of an orgy than a convention.

They are using the word “convention” because they are polite.*

I used the words “rat snake party” when telling my mom that it looks like there’s a bunch of rat snakes getting together to mate in the rocks by her fish pond, cause my mom is a prude and becomes angry at any attempt at humor, especially if it is about anything having to do with bodily functions of anything.

But I texted my friends about the super cute snakes gathering for a snake orgy.

* I assume. Although maybe Scarodactyl thinks there were professional toad networking events being held and all the egg clusters were just a side effect of too much toad alcohol on toad karaoke night?

I should go to bed

Bored fucked around with this message at 10:48 on May 18, 2023

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
I love seeing garter snakes bone down because the female is always garden hose sized and the male is a little fettucine noodle, it's like the Snoo Snoo amazons on Futurama.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Got a bonus Ruby-throated Hummingbird while taking video of a stream after it rained.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzhGnupv1vI

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Silver Falcon posted:

There is a robin who has set up her nest just under the roof overhang of my building. Just tucked away enough that not many people have noticed the nest, but accessible if you're willing to duck behind the electrical transformer. Well today I took a peek with my phone camera and look! BABIES!

Congrats on being a robin godparent! :kimchi:

The Red Queen posted:

I love seeing garter snakes bone down

:chloe:

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Unusually red box turtle, and hognose snake that hated me a bunch.

https://i.imgur.com/8aHSQev.mp4

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 19, 2023

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Clearly a stubby nose cobra

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Hey critterthread, I have a question.

So, an extremely tiny, bright red critter -- I mean, pinpoint-tiny -- scuttled/crawled/wormed (tbh it was too small to see whether or not it had legs) across my bathroom sink faucet, and I was hoping you could help me identify it. I didn't get any pictures, but hopefully my description & location (New York City) are enough.

Okay, that wasn't really a question, but you know what I mean.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

YeahTubaMike posted:

Hey critterthread, I have a question.

So, an extremely tiny, bright red critter -- I mean, pinpoint-tiny -- scuttled/crawled/wormed (tbh it was too small to see whether or not it had legs) across my bathroom sink faucet, and I was hoping you could help me identify it. I didn't get any pictures, but hopefully my description & location (New York City) are enough.

Okay, that wasn't really a question, but you know what I mean.

Clover mite?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

runchild posted:

Clover mite?

Alternatively, could be a chigger. Any itchy bites lately?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

runchild posted:

Clover mite?

Well, reading the Wikipedia, it looks like that could be the case. The younger ones are apparently a brighter red, and they're found in late spring in North America, which is when & where I am. Wikipedia also says that they're more commonly found in sunny areas, which makes it kind of odd that I would find it in by FAR the least sunny area of my apartment, but hey, poo poo happens. At least they aren't harmful. :shrug:

Thanks!

edit:

McGavin posted:

Alternatively, could be a chigger. Any itchy bites lately?

No. although the fact that you asked means I'm probably going to itch everywhere forever so thanks for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
bedbugs are tiny and get really red right after they've eaten, and are way more likely to show up in an NYC apartment bathroom than a clover mite. is it a bedbug?