Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Is there a database/spreadsheet/aggregator of ebikes I can filter through? I want to see all sorts of bikes that are like this https://www.bikeradar.com/news/2023-raleigh-modum/. Compact, 20" wheels, Bosch motor, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Tigren posted:

Is there a database/spreadsheet/aggregator of ebikes I can filter through? I want to see all sorts of bikes that are like this https://www.bikeradar.com/news/2023-raleigh-modum/. Compact, 20" wheels, Bosch motor, etc

Try this

https://electricbikereview.com/category/folding/

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
That sort of works, but isn't really easily filterable.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Tigren posted:

That sort of works, but isn't really easily filterable.

If you want Bosch, just sort it by price, from high to low.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The foldable part is talking about just the handlebars going sideways, right?
Tern’s is the NBD: https://www.ternbicycles.com/en/bikes/471/nbd
They have a true folding e-bike as well.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Tigren posted:

https://99spokes.com/

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Check out Grin Technologies in Canada (https://www.ebikes.ca) if you really want to DIY - very solid components engineered in-house, high quality parts sourcing, fantastic customer support... quite expensive.

We bought a pair of all-axle kits with one (very nice) charger for around $3500 iirc.

Don't do this. This is needlessly expensive and complicated. Plus the company likely won't exist within a year or two. At least buy a complete bike from a reputable ecomm site if not your LBS or dedicated ebike shop. This site is ridiculously overpriced with way too much technicality that 99.999 percent of buyers don't need. The 1000W M600 Bafang system with DPC18 display is by far the most widely produced, best and most overengineered ebike motor and system combination currently available on a wide range of quality ebikes. If you don't need the power and want local servicing, or you prefer a dedicated Class 1 just go with an LBS variant with a Bosch or Shimano 250W mid drive and pick a price point.

What you want to avoid is having to depend on a single source for proprietary parts that is likely just shy of bankruptcy, and also to steer clear of known warranty issues. The 1000W mid drive is powerful enough to require regreasing every so often, a little more complicated than changing the oil but perfectly doable by any decent bike shop if they are willing to service Bafang.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Does anyone have any general advice on car hitch racks?

I've been considering the Aventon Abound or some similar moderately sized cargo ebike. I'd like to be able to haul it as well as my wife's ebike (Gazelle T10, ~55lb) on our car occasionally. But most racks I find (especially ones that can fold at least a little to save space in our tiny garage) max out at 60-70lb per bike.

Our vehicle has a 2" hitch. I don't mind spending good money on a Thule or the like, but both the wheelbase and the weight of even moderately sized ebikes like the Aventon Abound seem to be beyond it capacity.

Any advice on hauling cargo ebikes on a hitch rack?

Edit: It occurs to me that if I dropped the requirements for folding and angling out to open the rear hatch, I could probably get something sturdy and relatively inexpensive. I'll have to think about storage though--maybe into the backyard shed. That's not a category I've looked at much though.

incogneato fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 7, 2023

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

For the heavier 1UP (75 lbs per bike) they have a swing out add on for rear cargo access and a wall mount accessory for storing the rack off vehicle but they’re the opposite end of pricing from affordability.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

in a well actually posted:

For the heavier 1UP (75 lbs per bike) they have a swing out add on for rear cargo access and a wall mount accessory for storing the rack off vehicle but they’re the opposite end of pricing from affordability.

Those actually look pretty good. Thanks!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I got a hitch installed on my crv recently. I was going to get either the $200 200lbs walmart rack,
https://youtu.be/cGJ2fA9rm3E
or the $300 150lbs Costco rack.
https://www.costco.com/dk2-rear-hitch-mounted-e-bike-carrier.product.100855719.html

I only need to carry 1 bike (95-100 lbs). So after doing the research, I have second thoughts. I want something I can use to carry boxes and occasionally can carry an ebike. I see something like that on amazon but they don't have high carrier fence. I am waiting for someone to make one.

For biking needs, I find my 14" folding bike is good enough for me and my 5 yo kid during weekend park trips. See when I am riding around a park or a beach for leisure, I don't mind spending extra energy.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

incogneato posted:

Those actually look pretty good. Thanks!

I have a 1.25" hitch, so I have the regular rack and an add-on. I also have the cargo tray, but I hardly use it so far (hoping this will change in the future).

I put hooks on my walls to hold the extras when I'm not using them, and it works pretty well.

I keep my mtb in the garage on a SteadyRack, which swivels to keep it out of the way and protected.
https://www.steadyrack.com/products/ebike-rack

They're really loving sweet, I even somehow convinced my wife to let me hang 3 in our "formal dining room" that is more of an entry-catchall room. The cargo e-bike is so heavy that I try not to hang it until it's officially too cold out for the kids to ride, but in NC that's only 3 months max.

For you guys needing to carry an ebike around, I suggest getting the 1up now and enjoying it for life. It's a fantastic product, and I wish I hadn't bought 3 lovely racks on my way to getting mine. The link below is for the super duty, which you'll need for your ebike.
https://www.1up-usa.com/product/2in-super-duty-single-bike-rack/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 13:34 on May 8, 2023

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Huggybear posted:

Don't do this. This is needlessly expensive and complicated. Plus the company likely won't exist within a year or two.

grin is definitely at the top end of pricing, but again you are paying for very high quality equipment - they design and build their own charger, controllers, and some of the motors and batteries (all-axle and ligo) with top quality parts.

yes, it's not for everyone, but for a serious DIYer who loves hub motors and has money to throw around in exchange for the confidence that comes with great customer service, I think it's worth it. I have a similar mindset to the OP regarding reliability, after a lot of research ended up with grin's DD hub motor and it's been fantastic.

they have been around for nearly 20 years with a pretty spotless reputation, I really don't think they are going anywhere.

Man_of_Teflon fucked around with this message at 14:05 on May 8, 2023

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Man_of_Teflon posted:

grin is definitely at the top end of pricing, but again you are paying for very high quality equipment - they design and build their own charger, controllers, and some of the motors and batteries (all-axle and ligo) with top quality parts.

yes, it's not for everyone, but for a serious DIYer who loves hub motors and has money to throw around in exchange for the confidence that comes with great customer service, I think it's worth it. I have a similar mindset to the OP regarding reliability, after a lot of research ended up with grin's DD hub motor and it's been fantastic.

they have been around for nearly 20 years with a pretty spotless reputation, I really don't think they are going anywhere.

I should have been more specific. Proprietary tech is the bane of the cycling industry, as cool as it definitely can be. For the average consumer/cyclist, they are far better off buying from a LBS and a bike company that builds their bikes with standardized motors and electrical. Batteries are almost always proprietary in their casings but the cells and electronics can usually be repaired or replaced by any decent battery tech.

And it might sound a bit ominous, but I have been working in the cycling industry for 25 years and I have never seen a niche so saturated as the current ebike market, and companies are hurting. There are over 400 ebike companies in operation right now, and a proportion of them - and any LBS that has oriented their market to them - are definitely going to fail this year and next year. Rad Power is an excellent example - they invented the fat tire ebike and went scalar in 2018-2019, peaking at 450 employees and a full c-suite of top tech executives in 2020; an ecomm darling that was making hundreds of millions and selling millions of ebikes. Now they are a shell of their former self with about 100 employees, their mobile wing was completely eradicated at immense loss, and they just canceled the RadMission after unveiling an etrike that had a proprietary tire size just like their RadWagon, which is the cycling industry equivalent of starting a land war in Asia.

Also I vastly prefer the mid drive motors, the 1000W Bafang M620 is easily the best motor that the industry has ever produced. It's powerful, efficient, affordable (albeit heavy af). Anywhere but flatland the mid-drive is the better motor. Nothing wrong with hub motors, it's just that they push instead of pull, and they have a propensity to overheat in hot weather.

Glad you got a cool custom rig though.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I definitely agree that there are a LOT of ebike companies that are gonna fail before too long. it will be interesting to see which boxed bike manufacturers make it through. I think Grin will be fine because they have a target market in the DIY hub motor area that they cover extremely well, and they also do a lot of OEM supplying. they were smart to avoid producing complete bikes and having to support them.

and yeah the proprietary poo poo drives me insane. that's part of why I went with the all-axle motor from Grin for my kit, it can be easily swapped to any front axle standard with different adapters. similarly, anyone can mess with their controller settings with a USB cord instead of needing a dealer to flash new firmware (and you can call Grin and they will walk you through everything), and the electrical bits all use standard plugs so it's easy to swap around accessories.

I live in Chicago so a big DD hub (theirs is actually surprisingly lightweight) is perfect here. I tow a ton of ridiculous poo poo around with the slow-wind version and it's never broken a sweat (24mph as a cap is plenty for me). if I was in an area with a lot of big hills I would have looked a lot harder at mid drives, but I think for most people hubs are much simpler, particularly because the average customer does a terrible job maintaining their chain IMHO and a mid drive will chew right through that.

so yeah if the OP is looking for diy and reliable I really think Grin is king.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Huggybear posted:

Batteries are almost always proprietary in their casings but the cells and electronics can usually be repaired or replaced by any decent battery tech.

Is that a specialty, or something you’re saying bike shops will staff?

E: use case — I sold my friend a Karmic Koben with a 44V battery that could probably stand to be rebuilt at this point. Karmic is out of business. One owner decided to wire in a new controller for the Bafang to use 48V.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 9, 2023

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

44v (12s, or twelve 3.7v lithium ion battery groups in series) is a weird configuration, most ebikes are 36v, 48v, or 52v nominal (10s, 13s, and 14s respectively).

the motor on that bike will probably be fine with the small amount of extra voltage, might get hotter and live a shorter life. some controllers can handle different voltages as well, but that could be a little more risky and it would be better to replace it with a 48v rated one.

a lot of the random ebike accessories such as lights are something like 10-60v so they shouldn't be a problem.

most bike shops (even ebike friendly ones) wouldn't touch rebuilding a battery as it's pretty specialized. hell most bike shops around here want nothing to do with ebikes in general, between the pain dealing with the weight in the stand, the search for random proprietary bits, and the fact that most low-end ebikes are built with the cheapest parts possible (and then assembled by the customer!).

Man_of_Teflon fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 9, 2023

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I wanted to report I’m still beating the poo poo out of a Radrunner or whatever I bought and it’s giving good service. I may be seeing some battery decay. I’m considering trading up for a better commuter/errand runner for my fat rear end though.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 9, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Man_of_Teflon posted:

most bike shops (even ebike friendly ones) wouldn't touch rebuilding a battery as it's pretty specialized.

Yah, so most people are gonna be ground mailing their batteries for service, then?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I got an Aventon recently, and I bought an extra battery when they were on sale for $300 (48v a bit over 600wh). I swap between the batteries every 100 miles to even out the wear cycles between the two, and it opens a lot of options - I can bring the spare with if I want to go REALLY far, but more importantly if the battery dies it gives me a spare shell and electronics if I decide to try to replace the cells

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Yah, so most people are gonna be ground mailing their batteries for service, then?

I think for the vast majority of people out there, when their ebike battery degrades enough they'll just buy a new one from the manufacturer (if they are still in business) and we'll be lucky if they actually recycle the old one.

the rare nerds with too much time on their hands might try swapping out the cells and keeping the shell/BMS.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Sentient Data posted:

I got an Aventon recently, and I bought an extra battery when they were on sale for $300 (48v a bit over 600wh). I swap between the batteries every 100 miles to even out the wear cycles between the two, and it opens a lot of options - I can bring the spare with if I want to go REALLY far, but more importantly if the battery dies it gives me a spare shell and electronics if I decide to try to replace the cells

Which model do you have and how happy have you been with it so far? And how has the company been, if you had any interaction beyond the purchase?

I'm tempted lately to grab an Aventon Abound for a short trip shopping and kid hauler. It seems to tick the right boxes and be at least passably good quality for a budget Term GSD.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Pace 500.2 large, it's rock solid and it's my grocery getter so I'm not easy on it at all - I've exceeded its stated payload by quite a bit a few times, but that's also a reason I specifically choose a model without any suspension parts.

Customer service on the sales side is primo, haven't touched their tech support side since I've got plenty of experience maintaining bikes and cars. I'm going to make a larger post in a few days, but I can totally recommend it

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Huggybear posted:

I should have been more specific. Proprietary tech is the bane of the cycling industry, as cool as it definitely can be. For the average consumer/cyclist, they are far better off buying from a LBS and a bike company that builds their bikes with standardized motors and electrical. Batteries are almost always proprietary in their casings but the cells and electronics can usually be repaired or replaced by any decent battery tech.
The 2 "industry standard" (shimano and bosch) are insanely difficult to re-cell. If a bosch BMS ever looses its balance leads' voltage, it just won't restart.
It's still a good idea to buy something with a reputable powertrain IMO (and in some places you've got no choice but to buy UL stuff), but something from Grin will work just as well, and a new battery will be like, half the price.

Huggybear posted:

And it might sound a bit ominous, but I have been working in the cycling industry for 25 years and I have never seen a niche so saturated as the current ebike market, and companies are hurting. There are over 400 ebike companies in operation right now, and a proportion of them - and any LBS that has oriented their market to them - are definitely going to fail this year and next year. Rad Power is an excellent example - they invented the fat tire ebike and went scalar in 2018-2019, peaking at 450 employees and a full c-suite of top tech executives in 2020; an ecomm darling that was making hundreds of millions and selling millions of ebikes. Now they are a shell of their former self with about 100 employees, their mobile wing was completely eradicated at immense loss, and they just canceled the RadMission after unveiling an etrike that had a proprietary tire size just like their RadWagon, which is the cycling industry equivalent of starting a land war in Asia.
110%. There's literally no point to any of the bikes Rad makes anymore. They caught the first wave of buyers for semi-competent *cheap* ebikes then just floundered.

Huggybear posted:

Also I vastly prefer the mid drive motors, the 1000W Bafang M620 is easily the best motor that the industry has ever produced. It's powerful, efficient, affordable (albeit heavy af). Anywhere but flatland the mid-drive is the better motor. Nothing wrong with hub motors, it's just that they push instead of pull, and they have a propensity to overheat in hot weather.
Meh. BionX and Neodrive motors still ride better than any mid-drive I've been on (granted I haven't ridden the newer bafangs).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Man_of_Teflon posted:

I think for the vast majority of people out there, when their ebike battery degrades enough they'll just buy a new one from the manufacturer (if they are still in business) and we'll be lucky if they actually recycle the old one.

I agree with that, but I was trying to understand the framing of your point:
> but the cells and electronics can usually be repaired or replaced by any decent battery tech.

I took that to mean it was a viable post-purchase option at this point.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Sentient Data posted:

Pace 500.2 large, it's rock solid and it's my grocery getter so I'm not easy on it at all - I've exceeded its stated payload by quite a bit a few times, but that's also a reason I specifically choose a model without any suspension parts.

Customer service on the sales side is primo, haven't touched their tech support side since I've got plenty of experience maintaining bikes and cars. I'm going to make a larger post in a few days, but I can totally recommend it

Nice, I appreciate it. There are a couple shops in my area where I could test ride so I'll probably do that soon. I'd like to buy it from a local shop if possible just to support them, but I don't know yet if the promo deals are online only.

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

evil_bunnY posted:

Meh. BionX and Neodrive motors still ride better than any mid-drive I've been on (granted I haven't ridden the newer bafangs).

Any hub motor with a torque sensor will probably "feel" better than any mid drive with just a cadence sensor, as torque sensors are a more accurate reflection of assist levels, and that can also be subjective. Cadence alone is noticeably less expensive. BionX went out of business unless I missed something. BionX largely made direct drive hub motors which are obsolete and are a good example of why most people should steer clear of kits for that exact reason.

For pure torque and ride assist a mid-drive is more powerful and more ideally placed for e-assist. As someone who has extensively ridden virtually every kit and motor out there and sold ebikes since they came out, I can say you are entitled to your subjective and anecdotal opinion, but generally and objectively you are incorrect. The M620 has both cadence and torque sensor and it absolutely leaves any hub motor in the dust. Hub motors will also shut off when they are about to overheat; mid drives do not overheat. Mid drives are typically more powerful and serviceable. Hub drive motors have all kinds of servicing issues, not the least of which is simply accessibility.

My company has a battery refurbisher specialist who has been working on lithium ion from day one who would also disagree with you. It might still be expensive but your old battery is rebuildable. Shimano and Bosch may deliberately build their batteries and motors to a difficulty of rebuilding them concomitant with planned obsolescence but it is always doable with parts and practice. Shimano says the same thing about its IGHs (i.e. don't rebuild them; deliberately overengineered) and I managed a service department that learned to rebuild those from scratch and provided that service regularly to people with worn out IGH hubs of every known brand - because Shimano publishes exploded diagrams and parts specs for every single part of their systems as do all IGH manufacturers from Sturmey Archer to Rohloff. You should not presume to speak to authority when you are an ebike enthusiast with anecdotal experience as opposed to myself, an industry specialist with decades of aggregate experience assembling, working on, having ridden, and selling thousands of ebikes.

I have to say that these opinions are very much reflective of the tinkery, home garage type bike mechanics I have hired regretfully over the years because they have these weird, entrenched assumptions based on internet confirmation bias recycled opinions with no basis in actual problem solving. Hence why I only hire young people with no experience because I can train them to always assume anything that was engineered, standardized at least to proprietary levels of hundreds of units and then built in a factory and sold en masse can be fixed. It's funny because ebike company CEOs can range from people like Mike Radenbaugh, owner of Rad Power, who rejects ISO to his evident peril, or to specialty niche brands who conform religiously to ISO as closely as possible to render their product serviceable in near perpetuity. Planned obsolescence is its own problem, but it perpetuates disloyalty so it is disingenuous and bad business in the long run.

Huggybear fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 10, 2023

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

I agree with that, but I was trying to understand the framing of your point:
> but the cells and electronics can usually be repaired or replaced by any decent battery tech.

I took that to mean it was a viable post-purchase option at this point.

don't think that quote was me. I'd say for almost all people paying to repair a battery will not be cost effective, unless you have a good relationship with a large scale refurbisher maybe? I am not aware of any bike shops doing anything like that here in Chicago.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Don't involve a bike shop at all on a battery rebuild because it's not a bike part, it's specialty soldering and electronics work

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Man_of_Teflon posted:

don't think that quote was me. I'd say for almost all people paying to repair a battery will not be cost effective, unless you have a good relationship with a large scale refurbisher maybe? I am not aware of any bike shops doing anything like that here in Chicago.

Oh yeah, that was from Huggybear.

The expounding:

Huggybear posted:

My company has a battery refurbisher specialist who has been working on lithium ion from day one who would also disagree with you. It might still be expensive but your old battery is rebuildable.

Makes me think that, no, it is not a readily available option for well informed but otherwise unconnected consumers.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Huggybear posted:

You should not presume to speak to authority when you are an ebike enthusiast with anecdotal experience as opposed to myself, an industry specialist with decades of aggregate experience assembling, working on, having ridden, and selling thousands of ebikes.

Lol

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
I ended up buying the aventon aventure 2 and putting a higher stem on for the handlebars since i am fairly tall, it worked out great. So far my favorite thing about ebiking is being able to go fairly far on limited time and I can still look slovenly while I do it, thanks ebikes!

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Ha, yep. I was just browsing the bike commuting thread and they were talking about racks and getting sweaty/having to change at work and it really makes me appreciate being able do my 3 mile ride under 15 minutes in my work clothes without getting sweaty.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I detest riding in jeans and such even on e-bikes unless it's a real short trip, which I guess 3 miles would be, maybe. My commute is 12 miles and at least 35 minutes so switching pants is easily worth it for me. Not getting sweaty because of electricity is awesome though.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Jeans? Please. I wear cargo shorts year round

Feawen
May 12, 2023

Absolutely loving my new eMTB, Ibis Oso. Got it at a discount because the price was too crazy brand new. Tried a bunch of different bikes but I really like these long travel dual 29er full suspension bikes with big batteries. Bosch CX motor that feels fantastic. I had an ep8 bike (SC Bullit) before and it was just nowhere near as fun.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I've had the Aventure 2 for about a month now, and I love it to bits. I don't have a functioning car at the moment and I commute with it daily.

It's my first torque sensor bike, and while I think those aren't the gamechanger they're hyped to be, they are very nice. I basically never change the gear or assist levels because it's so adaptable. And for how big the tires are, it handles much better than I expected. It's certainly not as nimble as the Pace 500.2 I had before, but it's still plenty responsive. Plus I get to roll right over anything in my path and feel like I'm in a monster truck. :buddy:

The rack really sucks though, it has beveled rails and is really more of a frame that has too much emptry space to secure much to it. As luck would have it my old Topeak rack fit just fine on the Aventure, so that was an easy fix.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
Pulled the trigger on a Litelok X1 angle grinder resistant lock for my bike (and eventually even more expensive cargo ebike). It's very expensive for a lock ($200 shipped) but should last me basically forever, and if it stops one theft that's worth way more than the price. The X3 seems even stronger, but at some point a smart thief would just cut through whatever I attach it to, and/or cut through the bike itself and just plan to sell the remaining parts for whatever they're worth. I'm always a little nervous about angle grinder attacks, which seem to be the main threat for a thief who halfway plans ahead.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I think its fine to spend 10% of your bike cost on locks. Don't park your bike outside overnight though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Huggybear posted:

Hub drive motors have all kinds of servicing issues, not the least of which is simply accessibility.

For my two bikes; it's been a much, much bigger pain in the rear end to work on my X2's mid-drive motor where I have to pull the bike apart compared to my Rad Mini where I just pop the wheel off then the motor side plate.

That's just me tho