Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
hmmm i had thought that someone had made shifter compatible with lddp but unfortunately it looks like the closest it gets is someone uploaded a modified DeusEx.u on the lddp discord to merge biomod and lddp, not shifter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

site posted:

hmmm i had thought that someone had made shifter compatible with lddp but unfortunately it looks like the closest it gets is someone uploaded a modified DeusEx.u on the lddp discord to merge biomod and lddp, not shifter

Good enough for me, do you have a link?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
discord
https://discord.gg/z6GscEtD

link to message with upload
https://discord.com/channels/879437066633617428/896201105111933018/918640517770793011

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I was really hyped to finally try the Plasma Rifle and upgrade it fully and max out Heavy Weapons and it's... still kinda bad? The MJ12 commandos have energy shield augs, you have to lead your targets, and the plasma travels very, very slowly. It doesn't seem to do well against mechanical enemies, either.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Cheston posted:

I was really hyped to finally try the Plasma Rifle and upgrade it fully and max out Heavy Weapons and it's... still kinda bad? The MJ12 commandos have energy shield augs, you have to lead your targets, and the plasma travels very, very slowly. It doesn't seem to do well against mechanical enemies, either.

The plasma rifle travels slowly so it's not great against moving targets, but it also has a splash which kills you if used at short range, which makes it only useful against foes at moderate range who are unaware of you. When you add in the fact that it takes up 8 inventory squares and ammo is scarce, it becomes the shittiest weapon in the game.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Gynovore posted:

The plasma rifle travels slowly so it's not great against moving targets, but it also has a splash which kills you if used at short range, which makes it only useful against foes at moderate range who are unaware of you. When you add in the fact that it takes up 8 inventory squares and ammo is scarce, it becomes the shittiest weapon in the game.

I'm also finding that heavy weapons are a massive disappointment. I'd never really used them before because they take up ludicrous amounts of space, and I had always used LAMs/those blue EMP grenades/the secondary fire on the assault rifle for those big targets. I started a run with a mod that makes most every item take up only one inventory square, and I find the heavy weapons to be mostly awkward, slow and possibly not worth it even at a cost of only one little box.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

But what if you need to make a silent takedown???

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Cheston posted:

I think we've all had this experience at one time or another. I know I did. "Finally, this time I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna mod the poo poo out of the plasma rifle in the armory below UNATCO, I'm goi---wait, this sucks"

I remember a couple mods have tried to make other mediocre options like the PS20 better but I'm not sure any of them have salvaged the plasma. The problem is at 8 spaces it competes directly with the GEP and, well...that's gonna need a lot of changes to be anywhere close to the direct damage/area damage/lockpick king.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
All the awesome went to the LAW and GEP gun; none was left over for plasma or flamer.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Shifter / Biomod seems to have upgraded the Plasma Rifle. I'm using that, the GEP gun and the Dragon Tooth as my primary weapons in my Low Tech / Heavy build in my current run and I'm basically unstoppable. It's fun sneaking into a vantage point of a room full of MJ12 goons and just exploding everyone before they have a chance to aggro.

GEP Gun is life though. Adding the range and scope mods and blowing up robots, MIB and commandos from far enough way that it is literally a silent takedown (for JC anyway) is always amusing.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I haven't played Deus Ex: The Conspiracy on PS2 enough to see if heavy weapons might be more viable there. That game uses a much more conventional inventory system than its PC forebearer.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The plasma rifle is bugged in vanilla DX. The last official patch accidentally swapped the plasma projectile's damage in singleplayer with the multiplayer damage value. The PS20 and plasma rifle are both supposed to one-hit basically every single unaugmented human with good odds of splashing multiple in close quarters, and it takes down augmented people with energy shield pretty damned fast too. Against things like Karkians there's no better weapon. I don't have a quick link handy to the patch for it, unfortunately.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, I remember the P20 being funny, but then again also disapointing at it failed to one-shot people, might explain if it got changed along the line.

gently caress I'm old, most of my memories are of not-final-patched DX now that I think of it.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Serephina posted:

gently caress I'm old, most of my memories are of not-final-patched DX now that I think of it.

I'm old enough to remember people complaining on GameFAQs about being stuck on Liberty Island because they couldn't get on the boat.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That was an antipiracy measure wasn't it? Did the boat skipper have something funny to say?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Serephina posted:

That was an antipiracy measure wasn't it? Did the boat skipper have something funny to say?

No, the cracked version at the time removed a whole bunch of audio to save space, and to trigger the animation to leave the island a sound clip had to play.

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!
The plasma rifle is so strange. It's a lot more dangerous to the player since it blinds you if you get hit by it, there's not much ammo, and you need at least advanced in heavy weapons to bother with it. I tried giving it an alternate ammo that uses an entire prod battery to shoot an area-of-effect stun and it's still not really very viable.

I think Deus Ex runs into the problem of having mundane weapons that are too effective to make fancier weapons viable: if everything goes down in one headshot, there's not much reason to use heavy weapons unless you're blowing up a robot or a door.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I think the issue is that the game doesn't really have a "workhorse" kind of heavy weapon for you to lean on in typical combat situations to justify specializing. No like, heavy machine gun or anything that you might use for normal enemies. The weapons that are there are all power weapons that feel like putting skill points in them is gilding the lily. Does the GEP gun really need to be more powerful? It seems to serve its purpose perfectly well without investment.

Edit: I remembered the flamethrower exists which is kind of its own problem that I forgot it

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You forget the flamethrower since there's no drat ammo for the thing so there's no reason to carry it around. It really does do what you expect

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Which combat track goes hardest?

Paris: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3gp5XI0XCw

Vandenberg when it goes full 90's drum n' bass: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkfsAkF4jpw

Area 51 is probably my favorite though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlJAI62gFYU

Honorable mention: Hell's Kitchen cowbell https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhILvACVXRs

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 11, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Paris for me. This is my favorite music in the game though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pDhCRfh43o

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Honorable mention: Hell's Kitchen cowbell https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhILvACVXRs

This is the one that I've spent most time listening to, mainly because of stupid challenges I've set myself to neutralise every UNATCO and NSF combatant in the big street fight without anyone dying

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah that's my favorite overall track. :allears:

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

This one sticks out in my mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X24X_PkDAao

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

My favorite music is the UNATCO theme.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Oh no. I listened to all this music and now I'm looking at the icon in Steam.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

For combat, definitely NYC Streets. Awesome sense of a sudden danger and chaos, followed by that heroic string part. Plus the association with the UNATCO and NSF shootout in the streets with all of those classic sound effects.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Hong Kong theme :colbert:

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Since we're talking about the OST, a reminder that Alex Brandon put out a very solid remix album not long back.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

lotta bangers on this page

unatco theme will always be the best for me

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Vic posted:

Hong Kong theme :colbert:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

An extended version of UNATCO Conversation Theme is something I listen to a lot when I’m working. It’s also very much buying Conspiravision, it’s really well done.

Poopbutt
Aug 15, 2022
The flamethrower is at least fun to use now and again. It's a one shot kill on the vast majority of enemies in the game. Single puff to light them up and then just do whatever you want while they run around on fire. The on fire animation being the best animation in the game is also a bonus.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
Does GMDX buff the plasma rifle? Been a while since I've played it. I had a lot of fun doing a flamethrower + GEP gun build in GMDX.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I wish it was easier to get mp3 files of the deus ex soundtrack. I'd love to just toss it into shuffle on itunes like all my other music, but I don't think there's any legal source for it and everything else is painfully converting mod files which yuck.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
Re: soundtrack discussion, "Enemy Within" (UNATCO HQ during your escape) is my favorite track, so full of mystery but oddly uplifting.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Arivia posted:

I wish it was easier to get mp3 files of the deus ex soundtrack. I'd love to just toss it into shuffle on itunes like all my other music, but I don't think there's any legal source for it and everything else is painfully converting mod files which yuck.

buy it on gog. it comes with the soundtrack on mp3

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

site posted:

buy it on gog. it comes with the soundtrack on mp3

oh poo poo i did not know that thank you

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

If we're talking ambient tracks, other then Hong Kong, DuClare Chateau is the one for me. Really beautiful, inspired melodies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX0hU7jQ5O4
Exploring this abandoned mansion with Nicolette reflecting on her mother and times gone by while listening to this is such a wonderful, memorable section of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Arivia posted:

Does itunes not play mod music? I remember just having all the tracks play through winamp way back in the day. Oh, and winamp still exists apparently!