Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Mister Speaker posted:

Curious, is there a particular reason Russia has a monopoly on helium?

Helium doesn't really exist in the atmosphere - it's so light that it basically just floats out into space.

It also doesn't react with anything, so it's not like hydrogen where there's an endless supply bound up in more stable and down-to-earth materials (like water) that you could produce it from.

All the helium we have access to basically comes from natural gas wells - the same structures that trap fuel gases underground also trap helium. But since we don't use zeppelins any more, there's not a huge industrial demand for helium (and until recently, the United States was selling down the national helium reserve, depressing prices even further), so most natural gas wells don't bother with the (expensive) infrastructure to collect and store helium for sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

McCracAttack posted:

Are they made of magnetic metal?

I don't honestly know. I don't recall ever putting refrigerator magnets on my face to test that, when I had braces as a teenager.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Jabor posted:

Helium doesn't really exist in the atmosphere - it's so light that it basically just floats out into space.

Helium exists in equilibrium amounts in the atmosphere just like other noble gases. It's present in higher concentrations than krypton or xenon (or methane, for that matter).

quote:

It also doesn't react with anything, so it's not like hydrogen where there's an endless supply bound up in more stable and down-to-earth materials (like water) that you could produce it from.

It's produced via the radioactive decay of stuff like uranium and thorium which altogether make up a significant proportion of the Earth. There's effectively an endless supply of it, there's just not an endless supply of it at prices as low as when we were dumping the helium reserve. If we stopped getting it from natural gas wells tomorrow, we'd start getting it from air liquefaction, just like we get neon.

quote:

But since we don't use zeppelins any more, there's not a huge industrial demand for helium (and until recently, the United States was selling down the national helium reserve, depressing prices even further), so most natural gas wells don't bother with the (expensive) infrastructure to collect and store helium for sale.

And of the ones that do, several have gone down for reasons of repair, or war (redirecting natural gas to Europe to make up for the shortfall from Russia, for example).

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Powered Descent posted:

I don't honestly know. I don't recall ever putting refrigerator magnets on my face to test that, when I had braces as a teenager.

Most metal used in people is not ferromagnetic and can go near an MRI without issue. It will still cause artifacts on the scan which uses radio waves to generate the image.

A good MRI tech would screen your face with a metal detector to make sure before you enter the can room. Not all MRI techs are good.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Cythereal posted:

True or not, I humbly suggest as a thread title:

OSHA IV: an anal rail gun

I second the motion.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Go home crane, you're drunk...

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

McCracAttack posted:

They don't even need to be magnetic. You can take a gold wedding ring into an MRI and it'll do weird poo poo due to induced currents from the gradient coils, or couple to the RF sources and heat up. Same physics that let you crush a beer can with a coil of wire and a big capacitor despite it being aluminum, or set your bag of popcorn on fire in the microwave because you forgot to remove the staple.

Even pure gold fillings can end up with issues due to heating the gently caress up inside your mouth because you're inside the 10 million dollar science coffin.

If they're made of magnetic metal, they're gonna promptly and violently introduce themselves to the nearest wall of the magnet housing. A paperclip can wedge itself to the housing of an MRI with something like 40 pounds of force, and the force of the pull is proportional to the size and mass of the object.

Buttplug MRI man, assuming it's real, probably had his toy shift around in his guts with the force of anywhere from 500 to 1500 pounds, which would do similar things to his colon as that horse did to Mr Hands.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Mr. Plug lived, according to Reddit, which just goes to show that you should do your really adventurous anal escapades in a hospital.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Kirk would have scuffed and just taken it

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Jabor posted:

Phanatic posted:

Helium exists in equilibrium amounts in the atmosphere just like other noble gases. It's present in higher concentrations than krypton or xenon (or methane, for that matter).

It does gently caress off in to space, but slowly enough that it still makes up 0.05% of the atmosphere

Edit:

Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that anyone can vandalise posted:

Atmospheric escape of hydrogen on Earth is due to charge exchange escape (~60–90%), Jeans escape (~10–40%), and polar wind escape (~10–15%), currently losing about 3 kg/s of hydrogen. The Earth additionally loses approximately 50 g/s of helium primarily through polar wind escape.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 11, 2023

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I have permanent wires on the back of my front teeth and had an MRI and they're still there (teeth and wires) so I guess the answer is "it's anecdotally fine".

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I have permanent wires on the back of my front teeth and had an MRI and they're still there

In the MRI machine?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

GotLag posted:

In the MRI machine?

Inside my rear end.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

you should see a doctor about that

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kenning posted:

I second the motion.

turd the motion

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Inside my rear end.

!!NWS!! - You Have Summoned A Powerful Curse - !!NWS!!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Yeet!

https://i.imgur.com/BZL3N6l.mp4

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I’m saving this to deploy at a certain MRI tech when he gets on my nerves.

Mechanical Pencil
Feb 19, 2013

by vyelkin
Man
Rectum
Insertion

M
A
C
H
I
N
E

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

GotLag posted:

It does gently caress off in to space, but slowly enough that it still makes up 0.05% of the atmosphere

Edit:

I think we should stop making jeans if that much helium is lost during their making

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

https://i.imgur.com/Afzzb4C_lq.mp4

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021

wesleywillis posted:

OSHA IV: "ANAL RAILGUN"

I read this in the Unreal announcer's voice.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

Too bad; it'd be kind of cool to have a mobile, motorized blanket.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Platystemon posted:

I’m saving this to deploy at a certain MRI tech when he gets on my nerves.

Sadly that’s a ct machine in the pic. MRI does not have moving parts.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

It looks more like some sort of lathe

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

this is literally the first thing they teach you to watch out for when you learn to sail

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Saw this classic again today.

https://i.imgur.com/3jjLCEO.mp4

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

McCracAttack posted:

Yes, my entire mouth is just one giant, rusty, oozing mass.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

are you a supervillain called "Lockjaw" by any chance?

The_Hatt
Apr 29, 2005

Is the driver swerving like that for laughs or are the crane hook weights just that heavy to cause that?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The_Hatt posted:

Is the driver swerving like that for laughs or are the crane hook weights just that heavy to cause that?

Those kinda ends are very heavy and also it's on the back of the load, which is exactly where you don't want heavy loads.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Shouldn't they be tied to something to keep that from happening?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

haveblue posted:

Look buddy are you gonna keep asking questions or do you want to get paid

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s funny cause he definitely feels it and definitely gives no fucks.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Cythereal posted:

True or not, I humbly suggest as a thread title:

OSHA IV: an anal rail gun

Ahem.....

wesleywillis posted:

OSHA IV: "ANAL RAILGUN"

Gimmick Poster
Aug 29, 2006
Don't look at your carpet; I drew something awful on it

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Loved you in Moonraker

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

haveblue posted:

Yes. This is 100% caused by not securing the load. Every crane truck is going to have a means of securing that with a chain or strap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Gimmick Poster posted:

Loved you in Moonraker

I loved jaws so much. When I got my dental implants done I told them I wanted to be able to bite through steel cables just like him.

Also I wonder if the crane started swinging because of a turn or just harmonic motion going down the highway