Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Vertical Lime posted:

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1656015796618027009

keaton's been waiting half his life to play him again

Keaton's gonna disintegrate live on camera trying to replicate his performance from the first film and its gonna look amazing the whole time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

should have gotten alex brightman from the stellar beetlejuice musical that just left broadway

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Asterite34 posted:

Didn't Finding Nemo more or less perfect shooting CG stuff that looks like it's properly underwater? What, where all those guys busy? Couldn't email over some notes or something? Anything?

The default job of VFX artists is to make something look realistic - usually when something deviates drastically from realism it's because either the director wanted it to look a certain way (because reality is too unimpressive or ugly), or because the live-action elements were filmed in a way that doesn't support realism.

For this movie, I'd guess the latter. Human skin secretes oils which makes it shiny, but because that shininess comes from skin being slightly wet, it disappears when people are fully submerged underwater. But because they didn't actually film the actress performing underwater, she's still got a natural human-skin sheen. So when it came time to put her in the environment, it looks like they had to make her immediate surroundings look less water-like so that specular sheen wouldn't be as out of place.

With something like Finding Nemo and Avatar, you don't have to worry about that as much because all the characters are either CG and don't have integration problems, or are actually filmed underwater because they're not also singing.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Barry Convex posted:

Looks flat and lifeless compared to the original, and it’s trying to do some cartoon physics stuff that doesn’t work at all with the overall approach of quasi-realism; more stylized direction might be able to sell the idea that a little crab could pull a full-sized mermaid to a stop, but that’s not what Marshall et al are doing here

https://twitter.com/etnow/status/1656011151220801536?s=46&t=vHCQymUfA8QgltN6y1_sjA

Thanks I hate it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Watching that my brain has a very difficult time believing there was one speck of live-action footage in that.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Lid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RLVSnMARQQ

The complete plot of this is already on wikipedia and it is mindmeltongly complicated but not in a good way more like the ending of MGS2 way starting with Fortune's motivations. Like Donald Kaufman tried to write Inception.

This was the regal mystery film May 1st and it was stupid, but in a fun way. Really dumb, just crazy stupid type of movie, but the kind that is fun for stupids to watch. The older couple next to me kept being shocked at each twist and talking to each other in delight. "Wow what a great movie!!" they said at the end.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

Watching that my brain has a very difficult time believing there was one speck of live-action footage in that.

Yeah once you do the hair in CG so it’s floaty, might as well do the whole head, etc.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
So many dogshit people had such a visceral negative reaction to the announcement of this movie that it actually pains me to say that that clip looks like absolute rear end. The CG just looks really bad, and clashes with the live actress it's passing over or behind. Ouch!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It’ll all get blamed on diversity, rather than them making an unimaginative rehash with a bunch of technical problems.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Don't worry, it will make a billion just like the terrible Lion King remake.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I'm genuinely curious about who even watched the Lion King remake - was that domestic or worldwide gross?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/BlakeRobPerry/status/1654324120912293890?t=2_d-nF8X0xa9JVC7h-8xyw&s=19

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The closest we get to live action remake of this episode, which even features Bumblebee as Autobot field leader.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcQuQ_lhsKE

It also did the aquatic Meso-American civilization thing decades before Black Panther 2.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I'm genuinely curious about who even watched the Lion King remake - was that domestic or worldwide gross?

Finding out that the Aladdin redo also crossed the billion dollar threshold was the one that suprised me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Disney remakes are pretty much 'minimum viable product' and make bank mostly from nostalgia bucks. Even if the people watching them never think about them again, Disney has their money.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

dr_rat posted:

This is just because demons, Aliens, and Ghosts like messing with people when they have sleep paralysis obviously.

Next time any of you have sleep paralysis, remember this! :ghost: :ghost: :ghost:

This is actually what Jehovah's Witnesses literally believe. I once had elders from my congregation explain to me, that not only are demons very real (and give examples of real life demon things that hosed me up for a long time; weird that when a trusted authority figure abuses that position of trust to spread false information to a trusting and sensitive kid, the results are bad). They also explained to me that things like schizophrenia and other severe mental disorders are actually things demons do to humans, because they like to torment us. Sleep paralysis also isn't real, and it's just demons paralyzing you while they torment you. And also ghost sightings, aliens and drat near every other hot topic of the day.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I just knew a god drat demon made me step on that stray bit of lego on the floor when I was going to the toilet last night.

Stupid git.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Disney remakes are pretty much 'minimum viable product' and make bank mostly from nostalgia bucks. Even if the people watching them never think about them again, Disney has their money.

Even that surprises me. My wife and I are peak target group for nostalgia attacks like that, and we have three children. I like to make fun of how lovely all these remakes look but her reaction to them is downright vitriolic. We haven't let our children watch a single one of them. I imagine my wife is not alone in her violent rejection of those movies, so where are the billion dollars coming from?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The people who watch the good doctor weekly

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Grendels Dad posted:

Even that surprises me. My wife and I are peak target group for nostalgia attacks like that, and we have three children. I like to make fun of how lovely all these remakes look but her reaction to them is downright vitriolic. We haven't let our children watch a single one of them. I imagine my wife is not alone in her violent rejection of those movies, so where are the billion dollars coming from?

Normal people probably?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Frantically trying to restrain my wife in the theater when the Disney trailers start and she goes to the Dark Place

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
who are these parents taking their kids to see disney content? Like where even are they

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Diz…nee?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

He means the Gisnep Corporation

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

who are these parents taking their kids to see disney content? Like where even are they

Like, Disney content is practically the default things parents bring their kids to for several generations already. Nickelodeon and Youtube lessened their influence somewhat but not by much.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

My buddy and his family love the live action remakes. He could not stop talking about how cool Lion King was after they saw it. He's not even a huge Disney guy at all. He n his wife for whatever reason, just really enjoy these remakes and take their kids each time. It's weird to me but they are clearly not alone.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I get that there are people out there who like this stuff, I just find it hard to believe there's enough out there to sustain a billion-dollar franchise.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I get that there are people out there who like this stuff, I just find it hard to believe there's enough out there to sustain a billion-dollar franchise.

there are millions of parents out there in need of something to shut their brats up for a while and this is the only game in town

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Do any of the live-action remakes... not necessarily improve on the original, but do anything interesting or innovative with them instead of just adding a ton of CGI?

I guess maybe The Jungle Book, but I also admittedly don't really remember the original that well.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They pretend that animals don't have genitalia or buttholes.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

Do any of the live-action remakes... not necessarily improve on the original, but do anything interesting or innovative with them instead of just adding a ton of CGI?

I guess maybe The Jungle Book, but I also admittedly don't really remember the original that well.

From what I gather, they tend to make some characters hornier, and occasionally gayer but in a way where it's easily ignored/edited out for foreign markets.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I enjoy the live action remakes mostly for the costume design. I think it's just fun to see the animated characters that I grew up with translated to live action in that stylized way.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Chairman Capone posted:

Jungle Book was just the original with a little added violence. The only thing I remember really liking was Christopher Walken performing King Louie's song and cutting Scarlet Johansson's song to save money but still including it in the credits.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

to be honest these live action remakes look about the same as a lot of these outright hideous MCU movies and those have plenty of defenders on this very forum

and those do okay moneywise too so I, like, "get" if even if I have zero desire to watch myself.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The Mulan movie systemically removed every bit of comedy and whimsy I guess because foreign movies don't have those, but looking at the numbers, it seems to have lost a lot of money. 200 million budget and 70 million box office seems...bad.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m pretty sure the Mulan remake was a failure yes

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pope Corky the IX posted:

They pretend that animals don't have genitalia or buttholes.

There wasn't a lot of either in the original cartoons either tbf

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And it was a crime then too.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pope Corky the IX posted:

And it was a crime then too.

I still can't believe they took the Cats Butthole Cut from us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU