Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It's been a while since I played with Rampant Arsenal, are shotgun turrets still ridiculously good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Kras 2 really hitting the spot, thanks again for the recommendation. I added Bob's Enemies to it but I've not seen the new spawns yet, though I'm still pretty early game with first three sciences automated. Gonna go knock out the closest nests, probably get evo above 20% just in time for border walls and flamethrower tech, unless Kras really throws me for a loop there.

Really like the windmill and greenhouse techs, though they seem a bit open to abuse. On the other hand at the level of automation to mass produce them I'd have a huge iron bus for the windmills or be ready to slam to green mods for the greenhouses to combat pollution.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

No need to bother with that.
Krastorio also has air filters which just delete pollution from a chunk at the cost of air filters (that you can wash and reuse).
Once you unlock that, biters which never bother you again.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Do people not play seablock anymore? Holy poo poo I love seablock.

Warptorio2 is also incredible, but it's basically a tower defence game.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Tamba posted:

No need to bother with that.
Krastorio also has air filters which just delete pollution from a chunk at the cost of air filters (that you can wash and reuse).
Once you unlock that, biters which never bother you again.

Oooh. I may have to set up and test walls for fun a few times before I give into my turtle mindset and keep my cloud small.

yoloer420 posted:

You've got my interest.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Meanwhile I'm the idiot who want to wishes to include Bobs/angels material processing and refining in a space exploration run. Some reason I love the crushing chunking purifying cycle of turning exotic rocks into smeltable ore

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Just saw this and thought it would be funny if a mod required Trinitite for some late game components/science

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/trinitite-trinity-test-mineral-cultural-jewelry

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
How do y'all set up labs for a megabase? 1k spm means setting up 1000 labs (or the equivalent with modules and beacons) which is a lot.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

We finally made it to matter science on hour 160 of our Krastorio 2 + Space Exploration + a million other mod pack play.

Something I'm struggling with is I'm frequently getting low framerates now, like 5-10 FPS. My UPS is 60, my friend's FPS and UPS are both 60. It's hard to find good debugging options on google, most FPS issues are people playing on lovely laptops. I'm on a Ryzen 9 9300X, and I think the GPU is generally single core bottlenecked so my GPU shouldn't matter (3090, if it does).

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Solumin posted:

How do y'all set up labs for a megabase? 1k spm means setting up 1000 labs (or the equivalent with modules and beacons) which is a lot.

That'd be far past the point where I go from sustenance production to factory production so making a thousand of anything is just a matter of setting up the assemblers. Make a blueprint and tile it out, watch the bots do it.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

1k SPM needs way less than 1k labs. 1k SPM = 16.666... science per second. With all lab speed techs and no modules, each lab is doing a research point every 17 seconds. So without even adding modules or beacons you only need 283 labs. Adding in productivity modules (which should go in labs first, they are by far the most efficient use of them) and even a moderate amount of beacons you can get away with well under 100 labs. At maximum (12) beacons per lab you only need 43 labs to exceed 1k SPM.

This was my setup last megabase, this was doing about 1.8k SPM (not fully fed) with about 80 labs.

e: Bonus shot of 16 blue belts of green chips.

Xerol fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 11, 2023

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Doomykins posted:

You've got my interest.

For context: this is about Warptorio 2

I've been trying this for a bit and it's a very cool and unique concept.

You start out on a small platform which emits an immense amount of pollution, no matter what you do, biters will start attacking you in a few minutes. Every 20 minutes (this can increase with research) the platform will warp to another planet, only taking things with it that are on the platform, including yourself. On the new world the pollution and evolution timer are reset and the fun begin again.

It's a very interesting mix of trying to stay on a specific world for a bit longer to mine resources, versus deciding to leave because you're spending more iron on bullets than you are mining. There's a ton of research to be done to increase the platform and add all sorts of interesting features to it. The entire thing turns into more of a tower defense type game, and it' can get pretty drat challenging but so far I've found it to be really fun.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Oh hell yes that's going on the list. Thank you!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

yoloer420 posted:

Do people not play seablock anymore? Holy poo poo I love seablock.

I still tinker with my marathon seablock world occasionally but the sheer amount of infrastructure needed to keep it going means hours of handplaced buildings.

'Rushing' sniper turrets was also required to be able to expand as the worms tended to instantly murder normal turrets.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Oh, I had completely forgotten about lab productivity research. That changes everything.

I found a handy calculator: https://codepen.io/Tickthokk/full/NBbKPZ/

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01qux-5Qx_Y

It's a map visualizer, not a game, but :sbahj:

Also getting strong C&C cutscene vibes, particularly with that last scene.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Holy poo poo, this is awesome

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Anyone have tips for dealing with framerate issues that are multiplayer only?

I've been often dropping to 5 FPS for a period of time and it's been rough to play. I loaded the game save in single player, and it runs 60 FPS no problem, so it's something with networking. Next time we're going to try switching me to hosting instead of him, but it's better if he hosts because he plays longer than me usually, so I'd rather fix the issue on my end as a client.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Speaking from experience years ago, whoever has the weaker computer is going to suffer. I was playing some 3- and 4-p with my friends, and my poor computer was the weakest of the bunch. Every time the host sent a nuke into the max-density cluster of nests out on the periphery of our base, my computer choked, wheezed, and died for the better part of a minute as hundreds of biters tried to pathfind to the center of our base. After they were mowed down by turrets, I could move again.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Seconded the "Holy poo poo! This is awesome!"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Thought I was a smart guy getting blue science automated in K2, then the new purple and yellow rolled up on me. But this is great! Pure time burning Factorio fun. I've got my first exos, personal robots and big mall set up so the world is my oyster, which is great since it's time to set up some really aggressive border walls for factory space and resources.

Bob's Enemies has been a touch dull. Is Rampant the sort of thing that goes well with mid-game saves? I'm giving it a brute force try anyway and half my base hasn't despawned so here's hoping.

Edit: Ah yeah, goes in perfectly and already more interesting. Sweet.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 13, 2023

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

TasogareNoKagi posted:

I approve of the Factorio trains rumbling by at "gently caress you, Squishy Meat Being" speeds. Satisfactory trains lack that proper menace: they're relatively quiet and phase right through the player.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Alkydere posted:

I approve of the Factorio trains rumbling by at "gently caress you, Squishy Meat Being" speeds. Satisfactory trains lack that proper menace: they're relatively quiet and phase right through the player.

I've massively increased the number of trains in my base over the last couple days. Coincidentally, I've died 5 times. Nuclear fuel makes trains go fast.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Solumin posted:

I've massively increased the number of trains in my base over the last couple days. Coincidentally, I've died 5 times. Nuclear fuel makes trains go fast.

With the supersonic trains mod sometimes they're going so fast the collision box doesn't even have time to interact with you.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Megabase (mostly vanilla) talk - I've got Phase 2: The Adhoc 2700spm Large Base nearing the finish line, with Yellow about to go in and then another resource expansion to pay for White. With unlimited upgrades finally available Phase 3 will involve removing belts and going localized botnets. Given what I've seen this would involved quad-rail wrapped tracks (probably using something like 2-8 or 4-16 with all the rail infrastructure built into the "blocks" and the defineable blocks shown in-world/on the map via some mod.

Query 1: What's that mod? I've seen it in a few map shots.
Query 2: Any known blueprints that have those sorts of rail blocks already? Preferably with landfill? Trying to figure out how to piece the corners together.

Solumin posted:

I've just got them on rocket fuel and I've died... a lot. I know I've died a lot, I know to watch for trains, but I have so many trains and so much track that having one show up in your blind spot is a one-way ticket to slooooooowly walking back across the base... which is made of of track that trains run on.

When I finally launch a rocket I'll probably convert over to nuclear just to get them in and out faster, but they're terrifying enough as it is.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

If by 'blocks' you mean chunks/chunk borders, that's not a mod that's a debug setting. They show up by default when you pause the game but you can also use the debug options menu (F4) to set them to be always on or have them only show up when you toggle on debug view (F5).

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Mailer posted:

I've just got them on rocket fuel and I've died... a lot. I know I've died a lot, I know to watch for trains, but I have so many trains and so much track that having one show up in your blind spot is a one-way ticket to slooooooowly walking back across the base... which is made of of track that trains run on.

1. Setup an area at your respawn site (0,0) with replacement armor and exos and poo poo so you can get back going immediately.
2. Setting up “safe cross walks” with some circuits and gates can be a fun exercise and give you some safety running around the base.

Rottbott
Jul 27, 2006
DMC
Or 3. Never get out of your spider.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I guess there’s 4: massive robot port network and play like an RTS from map view.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

necrotic posted:

I guess there’s 4: massive robot port network and play like an RTS from map view.

There's a mod for that called Brave New World. It removes your character entirely and you start as a roboport with some basic defenses. I believe it makes use of Earendel's various drones for mining and such.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I have all the factories for 1kspm built. I have (I think) all the mines necessary. Now I just need to deploy several dozen trains to get all those resources moved around.

Please, do any of you have a mod or something to automate train deployment? This tedium is going to burn me out fast.

Edit: Wait I can just blueprint them?

Solumin fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 15, 2023

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Solumin posted:

Please, do any of you have a mod or something to automate train deployment? This tedium is going to burn me out fast.

Edit: Wait I can just blueprint them?

Yes, typically the first step in railway deployment is to either find or create your basic rail layouts complete with power and signals. Standardize the size of train you want (for signal reasons) and just build for that. In terms of "I have X outposts, go figure out a rail network in between them" then no I don't believe a mod exists. I don't even know how that'd work given the possibilities and complexity. One way or another you or your bots are going to have to place that track.

Beyond that it's how much you want to cheat. Mods like Full Automated Rail Layer and Auto Track Laying let you build rail as you drive along it to varying degrees of complexity. You could also just open /editor and do it all without waiting on bots and having to go back for resources. If the tedium is going to stop you from enjoying more of the game never not cheat.

Two things I'd definitely recommend and (imo) are mandatory: Burny's train station builder gives you strings for basic stations. Blueprint Sandboxes is the best mod ever. There's a bunch of train mods listed on the forums though the only one I use is LTN.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
No, I meant, I have a handful of train routes (mines to depot, depot to forge, forge to factory, etc.) and I need to create several dozen trains to handle all those routes. I've got the train network set up already, with TSM and all.
I was hoping for an easy way to configure those train routes (e.g. set up number of engines, number and type of cargo wagons, and their schedule) so I could press a button to deploy more of that kind of train.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

In addition to blueprints you can also copy/paste train schedules from one locomotive to another just like you do with buildings. Not sure how that interacts with TSM though.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Sure, but it gets tedious. I was hoping for an easier way. It's not a big deal, I'll manage.

Edit: Blueprinting is exactly what I needed. Took only a few minutes to create them, and it's real easy to pump out handfuls of trains.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 15, 2023

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Ah, that kinda depends on how TSM works. I haven't used it, but with LTN the process is handled entirely at the requester/provider ends. The trains themselves are just dummies at a station waiting for orders. If a requester needs fluid, it picks a fluid train. No input needed from my end and the stations work it out themselves. Schedules are a one-time ephemeral tasks list for a given train. I always refuel at the depot so I don't have to futz around with hundreds of refueling stations.

There's probably more interesting math behind it, but a long time ago "1:4 engine:car" got burned into my brain, so I always use a multiple of that. My current base is in a similar position to yours and I'm running 1-4s. When I scale out to self-contained factories importing raw resources I'll move up to 2-8s or 4-16s. While I know people have done it and with enough planning/effort it's fine, I'll always standardize on a single train size within a given network just to reduce the chance of weird things happening.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
LTN never clicked with me, though after trying TSM I may give it a second chance -- assuming I ever want to build a factory large enough to warrant it again.

I'm doing 2-4 for mining trains and 1-1 for almost everything else. Plastic is 1-2 because most red circuit factories ended up needing 2 wagons of plastic per minute, and I'm doing stone as 1-3s for the same reason. Even with nuclear fuel, 1-3 feels a lot slower than 1-1 though.

I've reached the second stage of train base: fixing traffic congestion in the network. The intersection blueprints I've been using for years (that I designed myself) are perhaps not optimal.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Is this what you want?

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/TrainGroups

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Mailer posted:

Ah, that kinda depends on how TSM works. I haven't used it, but with LTN the process is handled entirely at the requester/provider ends. The trains themselves are just dummies at a station waiting for orders. If a requester needs fluid, it picks a fluid train. No input needed from my end and the stations work it out themselves. Schedules are a one-time ephemeral tasks list for a given train. I always refuel at the depot so I don't have to futz around with hundreds of refueling stations.

There's probably more interesting math behind it, but a long time ago "1:4 engine:car" got burned into my brain, so I always use a multiple of that. My current base is in a similar position to yours and I'm running 1-4s. When I scale out to self-contained factories importing raw resources I'll move up to 2-8s or 4-16s. While I know people have done it and with enough planning/effort it's fine, I'll always standardize on a single train size within a given network just to reduce the chance of weird things happening.

The basic math is that one engine can pull 4 cars before losing speed / acceleration. An engine weighs two cars.

So an “optimal” one way is 1-4 and an “optimal” 2 way is 1-2-1. 8 cars? 2 engines for one way, or four for two. Etc…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
How does one go about refueling in vanilla anyway? The condition to start/stop for certain numbers of items seems to only use the cargo and not the contents of the locomotive proper, so I can't just do something like add a coal stop to the schedule and top it up if it's under 50 coal or what have you. I guess I could set it up so that it just stops there for 10 seconds unconditionally and it gets whatever fuel it gets.

I'm on the verge of setting up solid fuel lines and just sending them to the intake stations of my base to get inserted at all of those, which is going to be a pain in the butt but at least I'll never have to worry about traveling halfway across the world to be AAA for a single wayward train...