Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Random flea market find today, a "For your consideration" DVD of the Black Mirror episode San Junipero.

It has a nice hardcover book with a sleeve, with blurbs and screens from the episode. Pretty cool, IMO, especially for like a buck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Sure it’s incomplete but for anyone interested, the 4K Mission Impossible set is under $50 on Amazon!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Just got an email from Arrow apologizing for the long delay on my Taisho Trilogy set. They said they’re working on it. I guess they put it down somewhere and forgot where it was.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

Sure it’s incomplete but for anyone interested, the 4K Mission Impossible set is under $50 on Amazon!

They're all getting individual steelbooks in June/July, just a heads up for anyone that strongly prefers steelbooks.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

visited Seattle and checked out Scarecrow Video

place is nuts

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

speaking of, has anyone gone to either vinegar syndrome store?

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

abelwingnut posted:

speaking of, has anyone gone to either vinegar syndrome store?

I live 20 minutes away from their CT store, so I've gone pretty regularly. Very cool place and it's nice to have a store that actually sells a lot of physical media near me.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

just arrived

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

They're all getting individual steelbooks in June/July, just a heads up for anyone that strongly prefers steelbooks.

Looking forward to the last two movies having Steelbooks that don’t fit in w the other 6 lol.

I ordered the Wick 4 Steelbook and I’m thinking of cancelling cause why wouldn’t I get the gently caress you 4 movie collection whenever it comes out.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Welp, pre-ordered the Kids set from Via Vision. The [imprint], uh, imprint is pretty decent. Haven’t seen Narc anywhere other than their Neo-Noir 2 box set either (it also includes gems like Way of the Gun and Blue Steel as well).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Holy poo poo, everyone, just now when I opened my copy of Scream 4 I discovered an even more esoteric and pointless form of physical media collecting than slipcover retention.

I'm going to collect major studio bluray releases that still have the little promotional flier for contests that no one entered that ended a decade ago.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I have about a hundred AOL discs, including a few 3.5” floppies.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I still have this in my collection

Back when George A. Romero was still attached

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Not enough of you entered to win a part in George Romero's movie. This is all your fault! :argh:

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Gripweed posted:

Just got an email from Arrow apologizing for the long delay on my Taisho Trilogy set. They said they’re working on it. I guess they put it down somewhere and forgot where it was.

I chuckled.

A bunch of crap came in over the last four days. Early Murnau from Eureka, VS order, and Orgasmo and Fried Green Tomatoes from Gruv :toot:

Gripweed posted:

Holy poo poo, everyone, just now when I opened my copy of Scream 4 I discovered an even more esoteric and pointless form of physical media collecting than slipcover retention.

I'm going to collect major studio bluray releases that still have the little promotional flier for contests that no one entered that ended a decade ago.

I keep all that poo poo for every title. I shop carefully when buying an old title to make sure I'm getting everything it came with

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I bought some VS blu-rays and my mail carrier who is a total dumb dumb left them god knows where. If whoever ended up with them decides to keep my stuff they're going to be really disappointed when they see what's inside. This same lady got super salty when I politely asked her not to leave my packages in the rain (she's done this several times) and instead put them under the overhang of the roof on the porch...where the mailbox is. So I'm wondering if she did this poo poo on purpose.

pwn posted:

I chuckled.

A bunch of crap came in over the last four days. Early Murnau from Eureka, VS order, and Orgasmo and Fried Green Tomatoes from Gruv :toot:

I keep all that poo poo for every title. I shop carefully when buying an old title to make sure I'm getting everything it came with

When I was dumping all my old VHS tapes off at Savers a few months ago many of them still had all these little flyers like that in covers. Pretty much everything I own from my oldest DVD to my newest blu-ray has all that crap in the case because I just never think about or make a point of throwing it out and it just fits in there without ever having to remove it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

dorium posted:

just arrived

Lord yes! Kumite!!

Ghostse.cx
May 5, 2023

by Games Forum

CPL593H posted:

I bought some VS blu-rays and my mail carrier who is a total dumb dumb left them god knows where. If whoever ended up with them decides to keep my stuff they're going to be really disappointed when they see what's inside. This same lady got super salty when I politely asked her not to leave my packages in the rain (she's done this several times) and instead put them under the overhang of the roof on the porch...where the mailbox is. So I'm wondering if she did this poo poo on purpose.

I've had several occasions where the post office has listed a package as delivered, but it doesn't show up until the next business day. It's really fun when it's a Saturday, and I have to wait for Monday after work before I can start being concerned.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Ghostse.cx posted:

I've had several occasions where the post office has listed a package as delivered, but it doesn't show up until the next business day. It's really fun when it's a Saturday, and I have to wait for Monday after work before I can start being concerned.

I got them today. She dropped them off at the wrong house because she sucks at her job. Today we had a different mail carrier and he even made a disparaging comment about her. The people who had them know me so they just gave it to the mailman today. I've had problems with her before.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I live 20 minutes away from their CT store, so I've gone pretty regularly. Very cool place and it's nice to have a store that actually sells a lot of physical media near me.

Oh didn’t know they had a store in Ct. good to know with so many stores dropping most blu rays already.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CPL593H posted:

I've had problems with her before.
If its USPS you can sign up for their daily email of what mail you will be getting. Its really cool since it usually has a scan of the envelope, and the packages will include tracking info.

You can report poo poo missing from there.

If you formally say that you didnt get your poo poo the local post office will follow up. If it happens enough they'll get real involved, like posting a scannable bar code on your box so the carrier has to really make sure you got your poo poo.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

FilthyImp posted:

If its USPS you can sign up for their daily email of what mail you will be getting. Its really cool since it usually has a scan of the envelope, and the packages will include tracking info.

This is called USPS Informed Delivery and it’s really nice, especially when you are traveling and you can see what mail you’re getting.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Looks like Blackhat 4k got delayed to September.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I pre-ordered the Showgirls 4k UHD and Trouble Every Day from VS. That slipcover is too good.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is there a difference between cliffhanger 4k copies? It looks like they came out far a part. My movie group is watching it next week and I'm using that as an excuse to grab the uhd.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

checkplease posted:

Oh didn’t know they had a store in Ct. good to know with so many stores dropping most blu rays already.

Yeah, it's called The Archive. It's right next door to their office/lab in Bridgeport. Definitely worth visiting if you're within a 90 minute radius.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kingtheninja posted:

Is there a difference between cliffhanger 4k copies? It looks like they came out far a part. My movie group is watching it next week and I'm using that as an excuse to grab the uhd.

They added Dolby Vision to the new one. Opinions vary on how important that is but of course if you want that one you're gonna pay like $12 more for it because it's new and it's a steelbook.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

This might be something that has been answered before but it wasn't in the sticky and this thread moves surprisingly quickly.

I recently started collecting physical media but, for tv shows I usually rip it raw and plex it. However for movies which I care a lot more about quality. I wanted to know, is there a difference between watching the physical media vs a raw rip that's streamed with regards to quality?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I don't think there could possibly be? Given the same audio and video bitrates and encoding. DVDs and Blu-rayss are just files on discs. UHDs are h265 files. Hell, some PC Blu-ray drives let you access and directly extract the original files on a UHD.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I can’t imagine building a Plex and not running everything through something like Handbrake first.

The storage space alone used up by just having raw versions of your whole library on Plex :psyduck:

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.
So long as the client you're using with plex is able to direct stream the file then there will be no difference. With a file from a blu-ray this should be basically any client, support for uhd files is much spottier and rife with bizarre compatibility issues (Xbox plex client forcing transcode from 3840x2160 to 3840x2160 because the resolution exceeds the maximum supported resolution of 3840x2160 kind of bizarre)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Looks like Blackhat 4k got delayed to September.

Yep

To include the director's cut :getin:
https://twitter.com/filmsonwax/status/1656706397969563681?s=20

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Kind of lame it’s just on a blu though

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I can’t imagine building a Plex and not running everything through something like Handbrake first.

The storage space alone used up by just having raw versions of your whole library on Plex :psyduck:

Yes.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Holy moly

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

respect

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I thought I was going overboard planning an upgrade from 16TB to 32TB

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Goals

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

morestuff posted:

Kind of lame it’s just on a blu though

I mean, first time it’s been on physical media, right? It’s good enough that gently caress it, I’ve mashed that pre-order button! I’ve never seen Blackhat but I like to encourage Arrow and other labels to keep rocking rear end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
tbh, physical media that's at least criterion dvd quality is a big dub for me