Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I honestly hope they don't do a Season 3. I liked the story, I don't think that they need to go back to the well for a third time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I kind of agree, in that I didn't think S2 was really necessary, but at the same time I want to see Starlight Express (the most dangerous musical before Spiderman Turn On the Dark) mashed up with Newsies.

fake edit:

Jane Krakowski was famously in Starlight Express as the female character in the above image, I think a dining car?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDd3uhvQVHo

angerbot fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 4, 2023

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That’s weird, the intro for Silo says it’s based on the book series also called Silo, but isn’t it called Wool?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

That’s weird, the intro for Silo says it’s based on the book series also called Silo, but isn’t it called Wool?

The book title is Wool, but according to amazon it's full title is 'Wool: The Silo Saga Book 1' https://www.amazon.com/Wool-Silo-Saga-Book-1/dp/B0BKR8VBYV/

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah just did some googling. Weird, I remember when it was announced there was a lot of people talking about the name being changed. Wonder if the Silo thing is relatively recent.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wish the Big Door Prize was a mini series.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Silo first episode down and it immediately grabs your attention. I know the book series is good, but it really hooks you in the first half. Very well done so far. Acting, pacing, etc.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Hughlander posted:

The book title is Wool, but according to amazon it's full title is 'Wool: The Silo Saga Book 1' https://www.amazon.com/Wool-Silo-Saga-Book-1/dp/B0BKR8VBYV/

Also the omnibus edition they just released is called Silo Series.

I think it makes sense to name a TV series after the book series rather than the first book though?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

smackfu posted:

Also the omnibus edition they just released is called Silo Series.

I think it makes sense to name a TV series after the book series rather than the first book though?

Game of Thrones?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

blue squares posted:

Game of Thrones?

Song of fire and ice sounds like a musical

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Only watched the first episode thus far but if it continues to be as good an adaptation, I’m excited to see the rest of the season

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I absolutely loved Schmigadoon. Saying that, I don’t think I would like to see Josh and Mel again. They seem fulfilled as characters and I don’t want them to regress.

It was wonderful seeing the characters flipped for S2.

Kristen’s character was morally upstanding and cared about the future in s1, but in S2 was morally ambiguous and didn’t really care about the future (kids).

Alan Cumming - Gentle, man-loving gent turns into a violent (potentially) man-hating gent.

Dove - County Girl who loves her dad turns city girl who hates her dad.

Aaron T - Loner who says he won’t settle down turns into groupie hippie who settles down.

I would love to see Schmigadoon s3 but I feel it would have to be a road trip though many totally different musicals.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The stakes for Josh and Mel felt a lot more important in the first season, where their relationship was going poorly and they needed to figure out whether they were still in love, this time they were just a bit bored.

I do hope that they get another season though as I like the characters.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Oasx posted:

The stakes for Josh and Mel felt a lot more important in the first season, where their relationship was going poorly and they needed to figure out whether they were still in love, this time they were just a bit bored.

I do hope that they get another season though as I like the characters.

They were trying to come to grips with infertility was my main take away.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I hope we finally get a dream ballet :peanut:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The one thing that made me laugh was the prop department screwing up the paper note in episode 2. The second time you see it, it’s completely different to the first (I’d paused it to read it the first time, doesn’t even use the same words). Continuity!

Posted in the right thread, this time.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I'm really liking Extrapolations so far. I'm 3 episodes in and it feels like a much better version of "Years and Years".

As an aside, it occurs to me that "Years and Years" has aged unbelievably badly in almost every way.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Snuffman posted:

I'm really liking Extrapolations so far. I'm 3 episodes in and it feels like a much better version of "Years and Years".

As an aside, it occurs to me that "Years and Years" has aged unbelievably badly in almost every way.

I liked Years and Years better, but yeah they are very similar.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Hughlander posted:

I have a copy of the omnibus from 2015- 16 and it's just Wool. Probably added the Silo bit when they decided on the name for the series.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Foundation Season 2 trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogReJyWgkBU

July 14th release. I had fun watching season 1, so i'll be checking it out. Looks like they increased the CGI budget by quite a bit.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Maybe something will happen this season?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Watched the first episode of Silo, I liked it. I kind of hope they eventually change from the books in later seasons, if they make it that far. While I liked a lot of the early books, the later ones I really didn't like, but I could see a good cast and acting making the story I didn't like there work.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Re: Foundation

Jane Espenson's writing this season so I've got hope. She's a great writer and script doctor, who did a lot of (2 hours of) uncredited writing on the first season of Game Of Thrones and reworked the alien lady desert planet subplot last year.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Jane Espenson is good people from back when Buffy was on the air, so that gives me a little hope.

I'm just a little tired of these expensive prestige shows where nothing happens during the first season.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Jane Espenson is one of those writers (amongst others like Marti Noxon) who you could argue was more of the "voice" behind Buffy than Joss.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
A lot of great writers and showrunners came out of Buffy.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Buffy and the X-files had a very good hit rate for producing good writers and showrunners. X-files hit it out of the park though with Vince Gilligan.

Lost is a fairly close runner up.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

fez_machine posted:

Buffy and the X-files had a very good hit rate for producing good writers and showrunners. X-files hit it out of the park though with Vince Gilligan.

Lost is a fairly close runner up.

Eh, LOST produced Carlton Cuse, Edward Kitsis & Adam Horowitz, and they've produced a lot of crap. The latter two, man, they showran Once Upon A Time. Jesus that show was mediocre.

There were good ones, but a lot of them had already achieved decent success elsewhere (several on Buffy). But, still, credit to LOST for staffing well.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Before Lost Carlton Cuse created The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.
That in my opinion was better than anything Damon Lindelof has done since Lost.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, Carlton Cuse's jam is shallow but fun shows to have on in the background. Colony, Locke and Key, the Strain and Bates Motel were all enjoyable for me.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Re: Foundation

Jane Espenson's writing this season so I've got hope. She's a great writer and script doctor, who did a lot of (2 hours of) uncredited writing on the first season of Game Of Thrones and reworked the alien lady desert planet subplot last year.
I wasn't gonna go back because Season 1 ended on such a letdown but that trailer and this information... I think they got me back. Thanks for letting us know.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I only just dipped my toes into Apple TV and haven't seen the first Foundation season yet. Got a book question about the season 2 trailer: Is this the Mule arc?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Donnerberg posted:

I only just dipped my toes into Apple TV and haven't seen the first Foundation season yet. Got a book question about the season 2 trailer: Is this the Mule arc?

I would be surprised, the first season is more or less a prequel to the first book, they haven’t even started telling the story of Foundation yet.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
What? Terminus is settled, Salvor Hardin is a character, and they’re in a war with their nearest neighbor, or at least an analogue of them. That’s like half-way through the book.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So is Silo worth it or what

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

As someone who's read most of the books, I'm three episodes in and I like it. It's a fun adaptation, captures a lot of the spirit of the books so far.

I bounced off Foundation halfway through. While I get why they would make changes to the book, I don't like the pacing of Foundation. Silo feels way better paced.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s a good premise but the casting of the lead character doesn’t match with the writing. I really hate the ‘only one mechanic knows how this machine works’ trope and in this instance there’s a 125lbs woman who is the only one that can properly turn a wrench I guess?

The 3rd ep has some stupid contrivances that ensures this person is the one who saves the day when literally anyone could have helped.

I’ll keep watching since Barry and Succession are about done :(

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Pretty sure the house from the most recent episode of Platonic, the divorce party location, was the same one from the very start of High Desert.

For some reason I figured Platonic would have more impromtu energy to it, but outside the premier I get the sense that this is more script driven. It's funny, I like it, but I probably won't remember much about it in a year or two -- particularly because this is an eight episode miniseries.

But I'm a hard sell on comedies.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can’t be bothered to check out the dedicated thread because it’s probably full of *shudder* sci-fi people but Silo is real good stuff.

Platonic is very enjoyable and High Desert is pretty darn mediocre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok this latest Platonic was pretty poo poo tbh