Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Maybe it's marketing to make them different than Elon's Twitter, but the CEO of bluesky publicly banned a transphobe who was harassing trans people on the site...
https://twitter.com/_FleerUltra/status/1652499679526154240?t=a0Vj_8d9Z3DF6jSNmxnDMw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Young Freud posted:

Maybe it's marketing to make them different than Elon's Twitter, but the CEO of bluesky publicly banned a transphobe who was harassing trans people on the site...

I mean if they keep on doing it don't particularly care if they're only doing it for marketing or not.

Be funny if Elon being such an open poo poo head and twitter suffering for it, cause other social media places to look at the current twitter and try to be better just so they don't become that.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

dr_rat posted:

I mean if they keep on doing it don't particularly care if they're only doing it for marketing or not.

"Stay un-woke, get nose broke"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Professor Beetus posted:

Given who has been getting early invites I honestly think this could have been intentional as a means of generating buzz. People want to wallow in the poo poo in twitter, that's what they like about it. They don't particularly like when all the useful things go away and the only comments with high visibility are blue check reply guys, because it's not fun OR useful. So intentionally inviting people in that are likely to stir poo poo and cause drama is not out of the question for someone who, as you described, should have been extremely aware of exactly what would happen.

There are also no DMs/PMs on bluesky, which according to Jack is intentional. Someone complained about it and he told them to use signal. So it launched with no blocking, but also no way for people to privately harass others without having off site links or identifiers.

The lack of DMs is probably the result of technical limitations. It's a lot harder to implement privacy in an open decentralized network where the servers have to expose all the data just in case a new server federates and wants to use them. Mastodon DMs don't really work right either, they're just regular toots that most instances are flagged to hide by default.

Another example of the kinds of issues that come in with open protocols is that apparently Bluesky did not actually have an @everyone command. Instead, it turned out that the protocol didn't cap the number of people you could mention in a single post. The official client capped it, but if someone wrote their own app to talk to the open protocol, they could create messages that mentioned 500 people at once. They could also name that mention whatever they wanted, because mentions aren't actually tied to the message text in the Bluesky protocol.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Oh look, Elon is being an asshat again.
Seems that he is debating on giving control of NPRs twitter to someone he decides even though the TOS says active if they've logged in, not whether they've posted

e:link in tweet is borked, use one below

https://www.npr.org/2023/05/02/1173422311/elon-musk-npr-twitter-reassign

https://twitter.com/BobbyAllyn/status/1653559074376515584

"Under Twitter's terms of service, an account's inactivity is based on logging in, not tweeting. Those rules state that an account must be logged into at least every 30 days, and that "prolonged inactivity" can result in it being permanently removed.
Musk did not answer when asked whether he planned to change the platform's definition of inactivity and he declined to say what prompted his new questions about NPR's lack of participation on Twitter."
""Our policy is to recycle handles that are definitively dormant," Musk wrote in another email. "Same policy applies to all accounts. No special treatment for NPR.""

OgNar fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 3, 2023

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Saw Orban trending and saw a bunch of videos of him talking about how great Trump is and should come back.
But also saw this.

With my VPN on anything from RT is now getting blocked.
The US gets to see any tweet from them in their full glory though.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Just got a doozy of a “Suggested for you” post on Facebook a page called The Diary.

It was the text “This tractor makes no sound when driven,” and then a gory illustration of a tractor driving away after it had run over a woman giving a man oral sex in a field. 354K likes.

No idea what I looked at to make the algorithm think I wanted to see that. Is there a level beyond “Hide post/Show me less of this?” A “gently caress you for showing people this” button?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Dr Christmas posted:

Is there a level beyond “Hide post/Show me less of this?” A “gently caress you for showing people this” button?

I too would really love to know if this button exists. Would be really great for youtube as well. Yes I watch some poltics stuff, no I really don't want to watch 2hrs of far right fuckwits being fuckwits. Can you please stop suggesting it already.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The trick is to report that stuff as hate speech/incitement to violence anytime you see it. It goes into the trash, but the algorithm does pick up on you not liking it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Things are going great with Elon’s big plan

https://twitter.com/mattbinder/status/1654573181854777349?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

and now, in today's shocking news:
https://twitter.com/maxberger/status/1654877506783137792?s=20

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes and there were other replies he made to similar poo poo

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

He's always been a white South African. This isn't new news.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Look, I have PLENTY of white, South African, emerald mine-rich, apartheid-supporting, capitalist CEO friends who AREN'T also white supremacists, how could I have seen this coming?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1655716696521416704?s=20

This person is human excrement.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

black and Trans people are better at not proudly advertising their white nationalist ties, clearly

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
All the replies are alt-right bots/shitheads, I was right to uninstall. Lots of posts about "fitting the narrative" because they think it makes them sound smart. If someone posts that they disagree, the response is always something about "were you hit on the head?".

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
truly, there are no nice south africans

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Except for Breyten Breytenbach, and he's emigrated to Paris.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Elons dad has some pretty good dunks, intentionally and otherwise, on his idiot son

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Taskmaster Newzealand had some lesbian woman comic from SA.

she was funny and great and great at abusing Paul.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Chieves posted:

Elons dad has some pretty good dunks, intentionally and otherwise, on his idiot son

Musk Sr. is not a good person by any stretch.

He's just even more tired than Elon's poo poo than the rest of the world since he raised the dumbass kid.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I love Elon’s new threat that companies have to use their accounts or lose the handle. It just means that once a week or so @npr is going to post some lorium ipsum from some intern. It’s the most easily defeated threat.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So the crackdown on inactive accounts has already started, and apparently an account is now going to be marked as inactive if you haven’t logged in within 30 days which seems absurd

https://twitter.com/taaaaamas/status/1656588178344628224?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I feel like that's going to hurt twitter's user numbers a LOT for no particular gain, other than sticking it to NPR specifically. Or anyone who doesn't set up a script to reset the timer every 29 days

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Ah dammit. If I had known that was the bar, I wouldn't have made a keep-alive tweet yesterday.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I'd say right now there would be a bunch of people screaming at musk about what a terrible idea that is, but I'm assuming he has long since fired anyone who would do something like that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

haveblue posted:

I feel like that's going to hurt twitter's user numbers a LOT for no particular gain, other than sticking it to NPR specifically. Or anyone who doesn't set up a script to reset the timer every 29 days
Yeah I don’t understand what the motivation is for this

It’s bad for him all around

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah I don’t understand what the motivation is for this

It’s bad for him all around

He's doing it because he's incompetent and bad at managing thing, but rich enough that he never has to personally face consequences for his terrible actions and thin skinned enough that he fires any close to him who offers even the mildest form of criticism.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
It won't be applied to every account every 39 days. It will be selectively applied so people Elon doesn't like lose their accounts.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Working at Twitter must be wild. 2/3 staff are gone so things are randomly breaking and you can't do proper content moderation while your boss is telling you to turn the app into a bank and a dating site.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s me, a genius, who has decided that it’s better to waste all historical customer acquisition expenditure in favor of saving a dime on customer reactivation

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Making every company login every 30 days means they can have some kind of metric they can give to advertisers. “We have over 300 million users a month!” or something. All under the threat of having someone control your account and spreading Qanon nonsense.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

IUG posted:

Making every company login every 30 days means they can have some kind of metric they can give to advertisers. “We have over 300 million users a month!” or something. All under the threat of having someone control your account and spreading Qanon nonsense.

Pretty sure they're going to lose far more users then they are going to gain active users. If they fully go through with it going to be plenty of people losing their accounts and not bothering to start all over again.

I really doubt they've thought it through to anything like that. Nothing that twitters done over the last few months has felt more thought out than a couple of late night brain farts.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

haveblue posted:

Given NPR is presumably capable of having an intern log into the site every thirty days, even if they're not posting, is this even sticking it to them?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Musk claims to have lined up a new CEO to take over Twitter

quote:

Elon Musk has announced plans for a new Twitter CEO but hasn’t said who it is. In a tweet on Thursday, Musk says that he has “hired a new CEO for X/Twitter” and that “she will be starting in ~6 weeks.” Musk will instead assume the role of executive chair and chief technology officer, “overseeing product, software & sysops” of Twitter.

Given that he frequently tweets about sweeping plans to reshape the company which never end up actually happening, who knows if this will be the case here. This also will not change his status as sole owner, just theoretically separate him from its decision-making, if only by a hair's breadth

Also kinda curious how much money it took to lure a female executive to the edge of the one of the biggest glass cliffs in the industry

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah I'll believe it when I see it

Still a high probability that this hire just falls through once this woman gets a look at the shitshow inside Twitter

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

My question on the NPR thing is... aren't the threats kinda... illegal? Sure musk can delete anyone's accounts he wants and I'm not making some free speech comment regarding whether platforms are allowed to deplatform people or something. But like...

He's threatening them with, specifically, 'stay active or ill let someone else take your name and they will be able to post whatever they want as NPR'. Isn't that just facilitating impersonation, or at least threatening to?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

My question on the NPR thing is... aren't the threats kinda... illegal? Sure musk can delete anyone's accounts he wants and I'm not making some free speech comment regarding whether platforms are allowed to deplatform people or something. But like...

He's threatening them with, specifically, 'stay active or ill let someone else take your name and they will be able to post whatever they want as NPR'. Isn't that just facilitating impersonation, or at least threatening to?
It probably is but he has made it clear he doesn't care about breaking the law

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

KittyEmpress posted:

There’s presumably still an impersonation policy so if someone takes @npr and tries to pretend they’re NPR they’ll get dinged

More likely I think people will create bots to acquire these handles at first opportunity and try to flip them.