Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
FFMQR 3-6, Recruiting Guides

...Y'know, I think I actually managed to not die for the entirety of this update. In fact, looking back, this is apparently both the second update total and the second consecutive update of this run that I've managed that. Early-game hell is real, especially when map shuffle forces you into Pazuzu's Tower while attack shuffle gives everything there overpowered attacks; fortunately, I'm no longer in the early game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Let's hope it's only early-game hell and not a mid-game heaven before more suffering then.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
DWR Training Tournament Week 3!

quote:

Doors Are Magic - The Don’t Require Magic Keys flag has been turned off, meaning you will have to obtain Magic Keys to open doors! Buy keys in Rimuldar, find them loose in a cave, get an extra one free from the king, or find a way to sneak the starting key out of the throne room!
As mentioned in the beginning of the video, but I didn't go in to this one totally blind. Only that I started a game and checked my throne room conditions to make sure I could play the spirit of the seed for demonstration purposes for the week 3 flagset. Normally, you get one key in the throne room that's always in the back chest. Then you spend that key to exit the throne room and are left keyless. From that point you need to find either a chest containing a key or Rimuldar where keys are sold. However, it's possible to save the throne room key through a few different scenarios.
1. One of the first two chests contains a magic key.
2. One of the first two chests contains a wings.
3. You start with the return spell.
Any of those situations will let you keep that first key and largely take the concept of keys out of the beginning of the game. Not totally, but largely. The first two seeds that I rolled both had a magic key right in the first two chests. That's why my seed for this run is my last post id + 2.

I'm pretty dang happy with this run. It's a really good watch.

RANDO LINK!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_jee7IICqk

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
FFMQR 3-7, Going In Circles

Figured that whole "not dying" thing was too good to last.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That was a long list of disappointments but at least you got through it all.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
FFMQR 3-8, Road Found

Well, out of chests to check; next update should be the last one. It's been... a trip.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
I did want to say I've got the 4th Dark Souls episode ready, but I'm currently dealing with some technical problems holding me back from getting it uploaded.

Currently very, very busy, but I've still got stuff for this thread. I'll get to it eventually.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
FFMQR 3-9, FREEDOM!!!

This is a relief. No more eldritch geography infested with overpowered enemies wielding improbable attacks for me. And I didn't even need to abort the seed to accomplish that!

Anyway, that seed from hell has got me feeling a little burnt out. No more FFMQR from me for the foreseeable future.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You did a lot of MQR seeds, I can't blame you for wanting a break.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Final Fantasy Randomizer - Beginner Seed
RANDO LINK!

Changing things up I figured I'd run an FFR seed for the thread. This'll take a few videos, but should be a fun time. Beginner flags for now, but if someone wants to put together a flagset for me to run after this one I'm game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUz7joW148

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

Crumps Brother posted:

Changing things up I figured I'd run an FFR seed for the thread. This'll take a few videos, but should be a fun time. Beginner flags for now, but if someone wants to put together a flagset for me to run after this one I'm game.

FYI, the black shirt (on SSmn) casts Ice 2 in battle.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

jkq posted:

Gotta love old RPGs and randomly attaching usable spells to everything that you'd never find out about unless you just randomly try stuff.

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

Odd Wilson posted:

Gotta love old RPGs and randomly attaching usable spells to everything that you'd never find out about unless you just randomly try stuff.

Yup. The FF1 randomizer adds the effects in its select button pop-up box, which is nice.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Odd Wilson posted:

I had the FF1 strategy guide growing up so got all the info on what items did what. Pretty sure I posted scans of it in a really old LP thread. Of course back then the vast majority of those effects didn't actually actually work. The randomizer (and plenty of other patches online) fix all that stuff up and makes them work as intended.

jkq posted:

There's other seeds where that black shirt would be a godsend, but for me to be in a situation where I'm out of nuke and can't just swing through whatever is going to be exceedingly rare in this playthrough. Heck, I bet I don't even use that heal helmet more than a handful of times.

Edit: I played the tape back and yeah I absolutely could have been using the black shirt on those mummies. That would have been the exact perfect time for it.

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 13, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Yeah, I'm just reminded of all the stuff in Phantasy Star IV I had no ideas about until way later. Kinda crazy you can just spam Gisar off a staff, or invoke Laconia weapons for holy spells.

Speaking of the PSIV randomizer is really good. It hacks some stuff to even let you play with semi-sorta custom characters and pre-includes some bingo-like gamemodes.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Crumps Brother posted:

I was too tired to watch this when it was posted, but now that I'm watching it... I'm honestly surprised (and a little flattered, actually) that you named one of your party members after me. Even if he is the weak link in the party.

As for the run itself... what the hell is the multiplier on the enemy rewards?! I mean, Imps giving like 30 XP and 160 Gold each is ridiculous.

Personally, I'd buy a few Tents too; don't remember how much they recover, but a full-party heal on demand is still good even if it's just a Heal on everyone, right? And they're barely more expensive than Heals in that seed!

From what I remember, the worst thing about Madpony in vanilla is the fact that it shows up on the way to Garland. If they were exclusive to "across the bridge" they wouldn't be so bad, but for a party who hasn't even beaten the tutorial boss yet they're brutal; I don't think they have any gimmicks or special attacks, I just remember them being the biggest beatstick in the region.

Sahags are never worth the effort even when they aren't spamming instakills.

I think those instakills you got against those Wolf groups might've been a Wolf using Glare; might've been a GrWolf, though.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
RANDO LINK!

Here's the second video. I recorded it about 3 minutes after the first video. I'm assuming there's only going to be one video left in this foray, but I haven't recorded it yet. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4zo__FXFCI

The only comment I can remember to make right now before going back to rewatch the video is about the crown. In video one I remark that the crown is for Astos (which is true), but then in video two I visit Castle Ordeals and I see the crown get mentioned there too. I had no idea that I needed the crown to enter Ordeals. Then I start questioning how I thought the crown was needed for Astos. How would that have ever come up in the vanilla game? What a weird random check that the player can't ever fail outside of the randomizer.

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

Crumps Brother posted:

What a weird random check that the player can't ever fail outside of the randomizer.

IIRC, there's a door in the sea shrine that is locked by the mystic key.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Crumps Brother posted:

"I think this is a spike tile." Referring to sharks in a volcano. I don't really see any way that couldn't be a spike tile without using that "generate new enemies" option in the Enemizer. (Incidentally, this also explains why they wrecked you so hard: You're in the Volcano fighting enemies from the Sunken Shrine, which I think is like 3 dungeons ahead of where you are.)

After getting out of the Volcano... holy crap Hydras are scary. Because anything with instant death is scary.

I hate finding the upgrade I just bought. It offends my inner miser, and leaves me feeling stupid until the next upgrade. Which, in this case, might be permanent because I doubt you're getting rid of those ProRings.

Seeing a miniboss hype itself up only to go down in one hit will never not be funny.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

CptWedgie posted:

"I think this is a spike tile."
There are *so many* spike tiles in this game. I had no idea. I knew there were some for various special treasure chests, but there's so many more that are just sitting wherever the heck they want.

CptWedgie posted:

Seeing a miniboss hype itself up only to go down in one hit will never not be funny.
Pretty sure that was your kill too. Congrats!

I'm gonna record the next (final?) part tomorrow. After that I'll do some more DWR. I'll eventually finish up the training flagset progression. But I do want to put in a couple/few chaos% runs because those are just wild. Also, apparently there's a Duck Tales rando? I saw that in the list Double Negative posted. I'm sure I'll give that a blind whirl and we'll see what happens.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Man, I have got to get to writing up that DWIII randomizer run soon. It's a hell of a ride with the instant death spells.

It'll still be some time before I can get the next Dark Souls video up. It feels bad it's taking this long to get an already finished episode uploaded, especially given it's just clearing the entire Depths

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
RANDO LINK!

Third and final video! Not much to say for the end. It really become just a matter of doing the work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qELynXfJdzM

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

Since you skipped/dropped a few nice pieces of equipment:

• Dragon Armor + Aegis Shield + Pro Ring = 5/8 "elements" resisted on the Knight. About as good as it gets, since there are only 3 ribbons in the game. And you were about to class change anyways...
  • Pro Cape = Shield slot for mages. Better than nothing, even though they don't get hit that much.
  • Power Glove ("Powe-2") = Damage buff, use on self in battle. Pretty nice since you have that Katana on CptWedgie. And later the Masamune for yourself. It's basically a weaker "TMPR" that's self only (since I think you mentioned that you forgot what SABR did).

LOL at you basically summoning WarMech.

For Crack, it's not death "element," so the Pro Ring doesn't help. :)

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Crumps Brother posted:

RANDO LINK!

Third and final video! Not much to say for the end. It really become just a matter of doing the work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qELynXfJdzM

I love your run, it's peak Final Fantasy to load up on max heal potions to save your spell charges you never used. It's like looking in a mirror

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Crumps Brother posted:

Just did a quick check, and it turns out Hrm4 actually has the same spell power as Fade. Now, Fade does apparently have an accuracy advantage, and hits non-undead enemies by default unlike the Harm series, but as far as pure power goes they're actually identical.

I've honestly been wondering why you never equipped the Heal Helmet; it beats wood, and saves a slot because your Heal-casting item is also usable armor. I mean, before it was excusable because you weren't promoted yet and were thus incapable of wearing it, but afterwards there's no real excuse: You could give it to the Ninja instead of the Wood Helmet, because they can use it too, and just throw the Wood Helmet away as obsolete gear.

Gotta say, though, Ninja + Katana = enemies get rekt. Especially if the Katana in question rolls an upgrade.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

jkq posted:

Since you skipped/dropped a few nice pieces of equipment:

• Dragon Armor + Aegis Shield + Pro Ring = 5/8 "elements" resisted on the Knight. About as good as it gets, since there are only 3 ribbons in the game. And you were about to class change anyways...
  • Pro Cape = Shield slot for mages. Better than nothing, even though they don't get hit that much.
  • Power Glove ("Powe-2") = Damage buff, use on self in battle. Pretty nice since you have that Katana on CptWedgie. And later the Masamune for yourself. It's basically a weaker "TMPR" that's self only (since I think you mentioned that you forgot what SABR did).

LOL at you basically summoning WarMech.

For Crack, it's not death "element," so the Pro Ring doesn't help. :)
I couldn't believe the WarMech luck. Literally the first time I've ever actually fought WarMech as it never popped up when I played growing up. I don't think I realized that about the Pro Cape either. Lots of equipment stuff that I just didn't think too hard about and didn't want to sit idle too long in the video figuring it all out. This is really good info so thanks for writing it up. For the bosses, is it better to self-buff and cast fast for one turn instead of attacking and spending multiple turns buffing with a second character?

cirus posted:

I love your run, it's peak Final Fantasy to load up on max heal potions to save your spell charges you never used. It's like looking in a mirror
It's even easier in rando because now we can buy all the potions in one go. Siting there for 10 minutes buying heal potions one at a time trying to fill the inventory used to be a staple of this game.

CptWedgie posted:

Just did a quick check, and it turns out Hrm4 actually has the same spell power as Fade. Now, Fade does apparently have an accuracy advantage, and hits non-undead enemies by default unlike the Harm series, but as far as pure power goes they're actually identical.

I've honestly been wondering why you never equipped the Heal Helmet; it beats wood, and saves a slot because your Heal-casting item is also usable armor. I mean, before it was excusable because you weren't promoted yet and were thus incapable of wearing it, but afterwards there's no real excuse: You could give it to the Ninja instead of the Wood Helmet, because they can use it too, and just throw the Wood Helmet away as obsolete gear.

Gotta say, though, Ninja + Katana = enemies get rekt. Especially if the Katana in question rolls an upgrade.
This is more crazy interesting information regarding spells. As for the heal helmet, I kinda just forgot that it was actual armor at some point. In my mind it was utility equipment (that I basically never used) and I never gave it a second thought. That katana really worked out too. When I checked out the status between the knight and ninja it'd be interesting to know if the higher hit chance on the ninja would have been enough to make up for the 7 lower power. There's math in there, I'm sure, but I'm not going to crunch it.

Ultimately, I was never really in any trouble in this seed so I was able to just sorta walk through the whole thing without much thought for spells and equipment. Lucky for me because there's certainly lots of gaps in my knowledge between what rando changes, what I forgot about, or what I just plain never knew in the first place. I'm game for another go around with different flags. I'll cross that bridge after a bit though. Next up is going to be some chaos runs in DWR. In short, there's a thing called a tri-stated flag that DWR has and I'm going to tri-state everything and play from there. I'll do a couple/few of those and see what combinations the game gives me. I'm also eyeballing Duck Tales and Blaster Master.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I tried to sit down to record another Zero Mission seed and after 2 hours I had to stop because I just couldn't find Plasma anywhere.

Turns out it was in a room I've never been to before. Still don't know how to get there if I'm being honest.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

DoubleNegative posted:

I tried to sit down to record another Zero Mission seed and after 2 hours I had to stop because I just couldn't find Plasma anywhere.

Turns out it was in a room I've never been to before. Still don't know how to get there if I'm being honest.
Is that the room where in OG you have to crawl suitless on the lowest of three sets of tunnels? If so, go back there and check the top route.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuVGSlc24WE&t=2150s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuVGSlc24WE&t=3334s

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

NGDBSS posted:

Is that the room where in OG you have to crawl suitless on the lowest of three sets of tunnels? If so, go back there and check the top route.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuVGSlc24WE&t=2150s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuVGSlc24WE&t=3334s

I already trashed the recording and the commentary, but that is that exact spot! Good to know that's how you get there.

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

Crumps Brother posted:

For the bosses, is it better to self-buff and cast fast for one turn instead of attacking and spending multiple turns buffing with a second character?

I never did the math to figure it out. It just always bugged me when the attacker went before the guy casting fast on them, felt like wasted potential. :)

I guess it really depends on what the second character casting the buffs can do. If it's a mage with nuke, less turns buffing is more turns casting nuke.

Crumps Brother posted:

It's even easier in rando because now we can buy all the potions in one go. Siting there for 10 minutes buying heal potions one at a time trying to fill the inventory used to be a staple of this game.

Turbo controller. :c00l: But yeah, "good" times mashing A to buy heal potions.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

FF6 Beyond Chaos: Part 4: These HP Checks Seem A Bit Narshe

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 29, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
The classic Beyond Chaos experience: Getting like four or five characters that aren't dogshit and dreading the World of Ruin where you might be lucky to start with one of them, or worse yet have to somehow survive with someone that only knows Explode until you can find someone else.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Cattail Prophet posted:

I was hoping to bum a free heal at Sabin's house, seeing as we still only have the one tent, but apparently it doesn't exist during this sequence? Weird.

Also we have 40 shurikens now.
No, actually, you're just looking too far to the west; Sabin's house is in that... alcove in the center, not in the Figaro Cave section or next to Mt. Koltz. Like, basically look directly north of South Figaro (Figaro Cave being northwest and Koltz being northeast), and you should be pretty close.

And Beyond Chaos seems to really like Shuriken drops; I started a seed (using a more modern version) as yet another attempt to get into it, and I'm pretty sure I've got max Shurikens and I haven't even gone into the Returner Hideout yet. Since I've got the "anyone can equip anything" flag on, this would be nice... if they weren't Heal Rods. Since I don't have a Throw command (and honestly don't even know if that'd bypass the healing thing), that makes them entirely worthless.

As for party "speculation"... I'm gonna guess "everyone but Goten and Hideki." Maybe just Aoi + Gilga + Cell, if you want to pick up Iria, but since I suspect Shadow's "randomly leaves the party" gimmick might still be intact for his slot (and I'm pretty sure Plot forces him to leave before you even get to Zozo) I'm gonna assume not.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

At least you won't be lacking in shurikens...for whatever use they may have.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

CptWedgie posted:

No, actually, you're just looking too far to the west; Sabin's house is in that... alcove in the center, not in the Figaro Cave section or next to Mt. Koltz. Like, basically look directly north of South Figaro (Figaro Cave being northwest and Koltz being northeast), and you should be pretty close.

...gently caress. Now that you say something I can picture it clearly, too. Not sure what was wrong with my brain while I was playing, between that and not bothering to save.

E:

PurpleXVI posted:

The classic Beyond Chaos experience: Getting like four or five characters that aren't dogshit and dreading the World of Ruin where you might be lucky to start with one of them, or worse yet have to somehow survive with someone that only knows Explode until you can find someone else.

Oh yeah, the start of the WoR is going to be suitably *magical*, don't you worry.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 19, 2023

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Dragon Warrior Randomizer - RANDOM %

I've tri-stated the hell out of the rando options and we're going in blind. Two videos for y'all. First one is where I talk about what a tri-state is and also go over each of the possible options. It was going to be a quick video, but somehow came out to 20 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEAo54UBA7A

And now here's the first random% run. What flags will we get? Only time will tell!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFvu8uCybv8

There's something that comes up in the video, but it passes me by and I never talk about it. The game only calculates your stats when it needs to use them. So that's either when you enter a battle or when you look at the status screen. What happens early on before I notice Permanent Repel being active is that I purchase a silver shield and give us a big defense boost. But! Repel is based on your defense. But! My defense isn't updated until I get in to a fight. So the next fight I enter is a red slime which is an enemy I should definitely be repeling with my new fancy shield. But only after entering that fight does my defense stat get updated. So I buy the shield, see one red slime, and then I'll never see another slime because my stat is updated and I'm repeling the slime.

I marked random monster zones as ON, but I'm pretty sure it was actually OFF.

My first cursed belt came from mountain cave and would have been perfectly fine to slow grind. I should have been able to show off the cursed princess ending by the 45 minute mark. I still would have continued to the true ending and it still would have taken just as long. But in a race situation that's the difference having those alternate win conditions can make.

Sorry I didn't pause the first little grinding session. I'll definitely pause and skip those for future videos. No one wants to watch that poo poo at this point.

The defense updating thing happened again after I repurchased my good gear the second time around and then encountered a skeleton.

I counted up the first DL2 attempt just now and I wasn't even close to killing him on the first try. Even short charlock and easy charlock couldn't hold the armor knights at bay for the walk through the final floor.

I somehow totally accidentally lined up the castle music when I paused/unpaused the final time near the end.

lol, totally forgot about the fairy flute on DL2! Holy cow what a lucky moment.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Cattail Prophet posted:

but I'm like 90% sure the randomizer does away with the mechanic where these early chests get upgraded contents in the WoR. Just in case you were wondering why I haven't been hesitating to open them.

You've apparently got some XCom in your randomizer seed because that remaining 10% hit. It does randomize them or at least it did in our LP.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Fun fact: those are two completely different maps and two completely different chests in the code. They just use the same RAM bit to reference if they've been opened or not, creating the illusion that the item gets better later.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

FeyerbrandX posted:

You've apparently got some XCom in your randomizer seed because that remaining 10% hit. It does randomize them or at least it did in our LP.

I'm assuming, though, that nothing actually guarantees the contents being better in the WoR. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm assuming, though, that nothing actually guarantees the contents being better in the WoR. :v:

Nope could be anything, hell one of the chests was the same apparently.