Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It was a limited run games release if I remember right. I have no idea why it wasn't the usual super edition that most publishers release.

I think it also had an additional bonus of dead space 2 depending on the platform. Gonna be funny if they remake dead space 2 and it comes with dead space 3 lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xenomrph posted:

Oh I got the mega-crazy special edition that had a steelbook and a full-sized light-up wearable Isaac Clarke helmet and a lithograph and a bunch of other stuff.

That fuckin' rules.

I worked at GameStop for a long time so I got very burned out on every getting any special edition of any game but I'm impressed the helmet is actually wearable. I remember when Halo 3 came out people were so pissed that the Master Chief helmet it came with was more like cat or small dog-sized than human sized lol

Dead Space 2 was so cool, I was so skeptical because of them giving Isaac dialogue and how much they redid his look but the game really impressed me.

I honestly wouldn't mind if they drastically remade Dead Space 3, like RE3 Remake level drastic or something, just because that was a game that imo loving sucked but also had potentially cool stuff in it. Like just have a doover and have Ellie and Isaac or Isaac and Isaac's hallucination of himself like was originally planned) be the coop characters.

LOL that reminds of how Dead Space 2 and Mass Effect 2 also had that big jump to their 3rd installment where the antagonist human faction goes from being a thing to being like an insanely massive planet conquering legion that's everywhere out of nowhere.

Not Evans
Aug 2, 2007

Tobias, have you been flogging Simpsons prop replicas on the internet again?

Normal Barbarian posted:

Hi Aliens thread, Amazon decided that I needed to see this thing, so now you get to see it, too

It's a Snalien

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Neo Rasa posted:

That fuckin' rules.

I worked at GameStop for a long time so I got very burned out on every getting any special edition of any game but I'm impressed the helmet is actually wearable. I remember when Halo 3 came out people were so pissed that the Master Chief helmet it came with was more like cat or small dog-sized than human sized lol

Conversely (maybe the merch guys learned from the Master Chief helmet fiasco), the OG Doomguy helmet that came with the DOOM Eternal special edition is loving enormous. It's bigger than any motorcycle helmet I own, and you also can barely see anything out of it because the visor is opaque. Mixing this DJ set while wearing it proved to be a huge pain in the rear end.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Dead Space helmet is surprisingly easy to see out of. Like I mean, it’s still obscured somewhat, but it’s much easier than you’d think. Also the lights are mounted in such a way that they don’t shine into your eyes at all, which is nice.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
One of my friends worked at a GameStop when Alien vs. Predator came out and there was some cool swag he nabbed. He did give me this, which has been hanging out behind my rear view mirror of various cars I've owned for over 10 years now:

Eat your heart out, Garfield.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

What would the big musical numbers be?

Where's the Shares?
Distress Call
Just Freeze Him
Crew Expendible

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Owlbear Camus posted:

Where's the Shares?
Distress Call
Just Freeze Him
Crew Expendible

https://imgur.com/gallery/S20uAct

Check this out, AI has a song for you.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

You couldnt put the Halo 3 collectors edition Master Chief helmet on anything, big or small, because it wasn't even a real helmet, it was just a hosed case for the game and was iirc just one big chunk of plastic. God drat I was pissed.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

One of my friends worked at a GameStop when Alien vs. Predator came out and there was some cool swag he nabbed. He did give me this, which has been hanging out behind my rear view mirror of various cars I've owned for over 10 years now:

Eat your heart out, Garfield.

It's legit rare to have one of those where the tip of the tail hasn't snapped off. Ours was in good shape for a while but eventually our cat played with it too much lol. The legs still work though so we were able to perch it on the corner of our tv.

Biplane posted:

You couldnt put the Halo 3 collectors edition Master Chief helmet on anything, big or small, because it wasn't even a real helmet, it was just a hosed case for the game and was iirc just one big chunk of plastic. God drat I was pissed.

Another one around that time was Bioshock 1. The limited edition was advertised to come with a game soundtrack disk, cool. What was actually on the disk was like three electronic/techno tracks inspired by the game instead of any in-game music and then a few months later they distributed the actual game soundtrack for free. Just weird.

A lot of the Big Daddy statues that came with it had broken (or soon after purchase broken) drills from shoddy manufacturing. Ours was in good shape on a shelf but the same cat that slew the facehugger eventually destroyed the big daddy too lmao

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Owlbear Camus posted:

Where's the Shares?
Distress Call
Just Freeze Him
Crew Expendible
The Alien gets the I Want song.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

Where's the Shares?
Distress Call
Just Freeze Him
Crew Expendible

We Can't Not Go On
All The Men In My Life Morph Into Eggs
Alright
T Minus
I Like Griping

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Owlbear Camus posted:

Where's the Shares?
Distress Call
Just Freeze Him
Crew Expendible

'Right'
'Riiiiight'
'Right (reprise)'

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

Where's the Shares?
Distress Call
Just Freeze Him
Crew Expendible

Just picturing the goop-covered head of Ash belting out "YOOOOOU HAAAA-AAAAVE MYYYY SYMMM-PAAAA-THYYYYYYY-YYY-YYYYYY"

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Y'all are missing the obvious musical number:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuNaegwHnGo

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Woop woop today is my burst day.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Maybe we could build a fire. Sing a couple of songs, huh? Why don't we try that?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Yeah right, man, Bishop should go.

[Vasquez looks at Hudson with disgust]

Good idea!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Happy emergence anniversary

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xenomrph posted:

*doctor holds you up*
Xenomom: "...kill...me...."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
congrats on going down the pipe five by five

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Biplane posted:

You could maybe put it on a cat though https://www.polygon.com/22801118/halo-3-legendary-edition-cat-helmet-too-small-spartan

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

A small, rectangular cat.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Thinking about an Aliens game running on the Apple II which was actually selling in stores (1977 - 1993) when Alien was released (1979)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5lZUDdPD-Q

The //+ being so underpowered that literally would have been the best it could do, just slide show a bunch of scenes

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I remember having an alien game for the vic 20 that was literally a pac man clone only you were smashing eggs and the ghosts were xenos.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

I remember having an alien game for the vic 20 that was literally a pac man clone only you were smashing eggs and the ghosts were xenos.

That sounds awesome and like it's probably the second best Pac-Man clone ever made (the first best will always be the this one since it's basically one of the greatest achievements of humankind).

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Neo Rasa posted:

That sounds awesome and like it's probably the second best Pac-Man clone ever made (the first best will always be the this one since it's basically one of the greatest achievements of humankind).

Wow, these guys really anticipated classic youtube shitpost “aw poo poo, here comes Pac-Man”

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Owlbear Camus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJsF4NlcsrI there was a 2600 Alien game like that. I own it with manual actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgJbs6EGGXg and this game that was on the C64 which again I own because I have nearly every physically released Alien and Predator game that's not some online only thing. Best I can recall im only missing the Arcade Alien v Predator game because that giant Capcom arcade stick thing is an expensive ugly monstrosity that my hoarding rear end doesn't have the space for, and the MSX Aliens game which sucks and averages like 150 bucks for a loose cart. (I do have loose cheaper carts of MSX Goonies and Castlevania which are good and interesting games respectively.)

My commitment to Sparkle Motion has limits. (Also why I won't have a complete US Master System collection even if I am willing to import the PAL region versions to save money. 100 bucks for ALF? I'd feel like a ding dong spending 50! )

Edit: there ARE TWO C64 Aliens games. Again have both. Activision made one thats a collection of mini games you need to practice if not make actual maps for 3 parts of, and then the UK first person one. There is also an Alien 3 game but its basically just a compromised version of the Genesis game that was done on a half dozen platforms. (The SNES , Arcade, and Game Boy Alien 3 games are unique however. Snes is cut from the same cloth as the Genny A3 but vastly different in execution. )

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 15, 2023

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
^^^ lol C64 supremacy

I remember playing an Aliens game on C64 that seemed impossible. It was cool because the layout looked like the shoulder cameras the marines had - like you were Lt Gorman watching from the APC - and I think you could switch between characters whenever you wanted.

I did about as well as Lt Gorman too. I think I was a bit young to figure out what the hell I was supposed to do.

Ah yes this is the one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj9vp6mZwWg

Red Rox fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 15, 2023

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Red Rox posted:

^^^ lol C64 supremacy

I remember playing an Aliens game on C64 that seemed impossible. It was cool because the layout looked like the shoulder cameras the marines had - like you were Lt Gorman watching from the APC - and I think you could switch between characters whenever you wanted.

I did about as well as Lt Gorman too. I think I was a bit young to figure out what the hell I was supposed to do.

Ah yes this is the one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj9vp6mZwWg

There was a DOS version of this that, I don't know if it's much better game overall but it was definitely was easier to handle.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1268750/Starship_Troopers_Extermination/

The FPS Starship Troopers: Extermination came out. I know nothing about it. I threw it on my wishlist and will see what happens. :)

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1268750/Starship_Troopers_Extermination/

The FPS Starship Troopers: Extermination came out. I know nothing about it. I threw it on my wishlist and will see what happens. :)

im not getting you this one (but there's a good chance I'll play it with you)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

HiroProtagonist posted:

im not getting you this one (but there's a good chance I'll play it with you)

:hfive:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

That does look fun. I will play with you next year when I can afford a computer. :v:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I’ve played a couple rounds of the Starship Troopers game so far and my impression is that it is VERY early access but also very stupid but also pretty fun. I think both games I played were on the same map so idk about how the map pool is (I’m guessing limited, lots of stuff seems to be “coming soon”) but the games I played were a mix of “go here and complete objective” and “build a quick base and defend it against a massive attack” type stuff. The “build and defend a base” sections are pretty cool, the base almost always seems to get overrun so you get your little starship troopers “oh gently caress we’re all gonna die” moments (and I was playing on easy, I bet the higher difficulties are loving nuts). Even on easy there’s lots of bugs so you’re rarely in a situation where like everybody has killed all the enemies before you get there, and on the rare occasion that you’re hearing people shooting on the other side of your little base or whatever there’s no need to run over there because you will definitely have stuff to shoot soon.

Both my games ended in a really fun “no respawns” segment where you had to leave your little base and run to a dropship a la helldivers. One of my favorite little flavor parts is the dropships have a little screen in them that shows how many troopers made it and how many died so you can all witness your shame if you poo poo the bed. It feels very throwback-y in a way that’s hard to describe - I get some planetside vibes weirdly, and a lot of old school AvP vibes even though it’s not really anything like either of those games. I think right now the main thing holding it right now is jank and incompleteness - I had pretty bad rubberbanding in both games, and a lot of stuff in the game (such as the experience-based class loadout unlocks) only has like two or three options with the rest labeled as “in development.”

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

I’ve played a couple rounds of the Starship Troopers game so far and my impression is that it is VERY early access but also very stupid but also pretty fun. I think both games I played were on the same map so idk about how the map pool is (I’m guessing limited, lots of stuff seems to be “coming soon”) but the games I played were a mix of “go here and complete objective” and “build a quick base and defend it against a massive attack” type stuff. The “build and defend a base” sections are pretty cool, the base almost always seems to get overrun so you get your little starship troopers “oh gently caress we’re all gonna die” moments (and I was playing on easy, I bet the higher difficulties are loving nuts). Even on easy there’s lots of bugs so you’re rarely in a situation where like everybody has killed all the enemies before you get there, and on the rare occasion that you’re hearing people shooting on the other side of your little base or whatever there’s no need to run over there because you will definitely have stuff to shoot soon.

Both my games ended in a really fun “no respawns” segment where you had to leave your little base and run to a dropship a la helldivers. One of my favorite little flavor parts is the dropships have a little screen in them that shows how many troopers made it and how many died so you can all witness your shame if you poo poo the bed. It feels very throwback-y in a way that’s hard to describe - I get some planetside vibes weirdly, and a lot of old school AvP vibes even though it’s not really anything like either of those games. I think right now the main thing holding it right now is jank and incompleteness - I had pretty bad rubberbanding in both games, and a lot of stuff in the game (such as the experience-based class loadout unlocks) only has like two or three options with the rest labeled as “in development.”

this is good poo poo, ty for the trip report. definitely going to keep an eye on it but will at least not ruin my experience by jumping into it with high expectations just yet. games needing time to cook usually isn't a bad thing at least (barring the fly by night type of developers, fortunately seems pretty rare overall for EA games to just get abandoned before a 1.0 release)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
From the description, it sounds like it would make for a good RTS game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

There’s already a starship troopers RTS. Came out last summer, I think? It’s…middling. Not offensively bad and had a few cool mechanics, but it’s just not that great.