Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Steve Wiebe.
This poll is closed.
Steve Wiebe. 30 42.25%
Steve Wiebe. 41 57.75%
Total: 48 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Leeroy Jenkins is now 18 years old.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hooKVstzbz0

Kerrzhe posted:

diablo 4 i'm probably going to wait and see if there's anything there that will actually make me want to give blizzard money again

Server Slam is this weekend if you want to check it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWmWiK5tnJg

But yeah Blizz has been on fire with Dragonflight. Best expansion in years, removed all the grindy bullshit of the past, and now it's an absolute blast to play. New major patched just dropped, and they've already announced the next one today.

Absolutely insane amount of content being added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sire this is the ffxiv thread

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

wow did they finally get around to letting you transmog white and gray items

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I almost resubbed to WoW when I saw it was on the list of games with Ray Tracing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm sure he's probably a very talented performer but I can't say I remember any of his speaking parts in WoW.

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

hatty posted:

Armored Core

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Chained Echoes (switch):
Played 20 minutes. First yellow card / red flag: when the game introduces some new characters, instead of letting their personality and story emerge organically through action and dialogue, the game pauses and shines a spotlight on them and gives you a block of text explaining what their entire deal is

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Kerrzhe posted:

wow did they finally get around to letting you transmog white and gray items

Yup, they're all terrible. People had been asking for them for a while now tho so :shrug:

Jay Rust posted:

Sire this is the ffxiv thread

Yes, but both games have cool cosmetics!
The only game we care about!

There is a free trial on atm if people want to check it out
https://dragonflight.blizzard.com/en-gb/freetrial

You should at least give Dragon Riding a crack, cause it's legitimately one of the most fun flying mechanics I've played in a video game

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Turd of Snorecraft L.M.A.O.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

is wow still bad if you don't like getting yelled at

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

hatty posted:

Armored Core

i forgot this also comes out in august!!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
ngl I had fun messing around in wow classic for a few months when it launched but I just don't have the time anymore for games that require so much attention, I'm already married

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I tried the trial and while I like the race options more than FFXIV it didn't really call me. And then all the Blizzard stuff came out and lost any interest.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I used to play, up as far as BfA, but honestly it felt freeing to get rid of the fucker. I loved my white dragon mount. And I do like the race options in WoW. But I ain't ever going back.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i have a long long history with wow. they really burned most of their bridges with me at the end of Legion and start of BFA and then the awful company poo poo on top of that.

i feel like if i tried playing it now my main thought will just be "this is not nearly as good at telling a story as FFXIV" which will never be a fair comparison but it's one i will make anyway

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

catgirlgenius posted:

is wow still bad if you don't like getting yelled at

There's a bunch of content and options for casual players/people with anxiety, and for the most part the community is pretty chill about onboarding new players.

Even the new raid, the end game content, can be done with a group finder and you don't need to talk to anyone.
It's pretty chill.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

And then all the Blizzard stuff came out and lost any interest.

I mean yeah, that is unfortunately the other side of the coin atm.

Best expansion in years that is overshadowed, rightfully, by all of ActiBlizz's bullshit.

The UK blocking the Microsoft sale is :lol: cause it would have legitimately helped clean up the company.
They've stated previously they'd recognise the Union, and Kotick would be gone.

It's a great game, it really is, but it's completely understandable why people wouldn't want to give them money atm.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I can never play WoW again because I deleted my Blizzard account back when the big lawsuit dropped and so now all of my WoW everything is gone forever and I feel like starting from scratch would be agonizing.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If it helps anything, all that grindy terrible nonsense you dealt with in BfA & Shadowlands is gone.

You don't really need to grind anything. You just play the game, get some drops and on your bike.

The new upgrade system that just dropped a few days ago is really really nice as well.
- You get an item that can be upgraded
- Even if the stats aren't great it's worth upgrading
- When you get an item with the stats you actually want, you can upgrade it much much cheaper, because you already upgraded a similar item.

So you just gradually keep getting more powerful, rather than being limited by bad drops.
It's a really smart system that seems overly complicated on it's face, but really just boils down to - play the game and get upgrades

Harrow posted:

I can never play WoW again because I deleted my Blizzard account back when the big lawsuit dropped and so now all of my WoW everything is gone forever and I feel like starting from scratch would be agonizing.

If you ever get the itch, you can start with the new Evoker class.

Starts at the same level as the expansion.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kerrzhe posted:

i forgot this also comes out in august!!

So does Bomb Rush Cyberfunk, a game specifically targeted at me

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Again the true game is being the Prettiest Princess/Prince
https://i.imgur.com/PHr7Arc.mp4

Also holy poo poo the new patch they just announced is FINALLY removing all the horseshit for new players

All the cool Allied Races they added were locked being pain in the rear end questlines, now they're just available.

Now you can be this cool fox
https://i.imgur.com/yUhIjoa.mp4

Waffleman_ posted:

As hype as I am for this game, and I'm pretty hype, I can't wait for the soundtrack for more Hideki Naganuma goodness

<<<Click 'Only Trust Your Fists' in my av

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Infinitum posted:

If you ever get the itch, you can start with the new Evoker class.

Starts at the same level as the expansion.

I unfortunately can't really get behind the dragon form, just don't like it. Does seem like an interesting class I just don't really like forced shapeshifting. (Same reason I always used Glyph of Stars when I played balance druid.)

If I ever do come back I'll probably roll a Monk since that class really spoke to me and I know leveling is actually kinda fun now. But we'll see. Thinking about all the transmogs and mounts I'd feel compelled to grind again just has me going :effort:

edit: It's nice that the allied races are unlocked automatically now. I unlocked them all before Shadowlands came out and was also like "no way I'm doing all that again."

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh poo poo I didn't know this had a release date! Hell yeah

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
glad they finally added invoker from dota to wow

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

glad they finally added invoker from dota to wow

no it's evoker from the critically acclaimed rpg Final Fantasy III

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Actually one of the really huge things that just dropped is that they've effectively removed the faction divide in WoW now.

Alliance characters can join Horde guilds
Horde characters can join Alliance guilds

There's still some restrictions involved, which they've said will be removed most likely in the next expansion, but for the most part this effectively means
- You can play whatever faction you want
- You can play whatever race you want
- You can play with your friends regardless of what faction they are.

It's a HUGE change for the long term quality of life of the game.

Harrow posted:

I unfortunately can't really get behind the dragon form, just don't like it.

This was a fairly big complaint for a lot of people, most people were expecting a much beefier model.
They do grow on you, but yeah..

Harrow posted:

If I ever do come back I'll probably roll a Monk since that class really spoke to me

Oh, then I def shouldn't link you my Monk's current tmog :v:
https://i.imgur.com/v5iIweh.mp4

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I mean, from what I've read in the Warcraft 1 & 2 LP, it won't take long until they try to bring the war back to Warcraft :v:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

diablo 4 i'm probably going to wait and see if there's anything there that will actually make me want to give blizzard money again

Even if Blizzard was a good company, it's another sequel/copy of Diablo 2. What the hell could they possibly do to make it worth diving into that clicking hell again.

Others have also made their own Diablo 2s and they are also identical, nigh indistinguishable.

The government could use thumbnails of the games as part of a visual test to distinguish from normal citizens who think they all look the same and sleeper agents who can tell the difference because at any moment their subliminal training will kick in and they backflip into a loot treadmill fugue.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Khanstant posted:

Even if Blizzard was a good company, it's another sequel/copy of Diablo 2. What the hell could they possibly do to make it worth diving into that clicking hell again.

loot makes my brain go brrrrr

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

It's this.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I mean, from what I've read in the Warcraft 1 & 2 LP, it won't take long until they try to bring the war back to Warcraft :v:

The faction war is legitimately so stupid from a lore perspective.

It effectively doesn't exist currently in Dragonflight - an expansion based solely around "go hang out with your Dragon buds"

Every other expansion up until now has been
- Faction War! Go murder those opposing dickheads!
- BEHOLD A WORLD ENDING THREAT!
- We should perhaps put aside our diffferences to defeat The Greater Evil
- ~THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP PREVAILS~
- Hey gently caress you because [Nonsensical Reasons]
- New expansion

It was literally tiring watching them try and shoe horn it in every time.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
I do kinda miss WoW. I left in early BFA after not feeling great compared to Legion. I did drop back in for a day a while ago but the very next day was when the allegations came to light so I noped back out.

https://worldofwarcraft.blizzard.com/en-gb/character/eu/lightbringer/sissad

I miss her. I've had that same Burning Crusade era green-rarity vest transmogged since Transmog was introduced.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Actually one of the really huge things that just dropped is that they've effectively removed the faction divide in WoW now.

Alliance characters can join Horde guilds
Horde characters can join Alliance guilds

Yeah I’m really glad cross faction is finally a thing, I heard about that.

I’m a guy who likes to have a fleet of alts because even though I usually have a heavily favored main, I just like to have a wide variety of characters to play with. It always bummed me out that if I wanted an alt on another faction I’d be cut off from everyone I usually play with.

One reason GW2 is my MMO of choice lately is just how wildly easy it is to have a shitload of alts, especially because so much of GW2’s progression is account wide. It’s nice to be able to log into any of my characters and still progress achievements or collections or dungeon levels or raids or whatever, it all just counts at the account level. I find that really freeing.

The more alt friendly they make WoW the more likely I am to pick it up again one day.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I'm jealous. I believe I genuinely enjoyed Diablo 2 when I played and not just because I lied to people for free SoJs and stuff, I think I thought it was fun and I recall liking making my lady more strongly.

Then somewhere in Diablo 3 the spell snapped and it felt like they were being lazy and tricking me into doing busywork and it hurt my finger don't hurt me you bastards gently caress you and I've not been able to just enjoy a loot treadmill without heavy cosplay hiding it since.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Lol the nintendrones are extremely mad right now that totk couldn't even beat elden ring on metacritic, delicious tears

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Jay Rust posted:

Lol the nintendrones are extremely mad right now that totk couldn't even beat elden ring on metacritic, delicious tears

I've said three cusses and there might be a fourth soon

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

my monk did have my favorite tmogs

i miss mid-Legion fistweaver :(

(bonus hunter and druid though)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Infinitum posted:

The faction war is legitimately so stupid from a lore perspective.

It effectively doesn't exist currently in Dragonflight - an expansion based solely around "go hang out with your Dragon buds"

Every other expansion up until now has been
- BEHOLD A WORLD ENDING THREAT!
- We should perhaps put aside our diffferences to defeat The Greater Evil
- ~THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP PREVAILS~
- Hey gently caress you because [Nonsensical Reasons]
- New expansion

It was literally tiring watching them try and shoe horn it in every time.

i can only assume it was one of those garbage Brand Identity things some pencilneck marketing people had written down in a binder somewhere, and they're only now finally moving away from it because all those people got turfed and it's predominantly only people who genuinely want to make something good remaining

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i wonder if it would be possible for me to have experienced enough games via demos and random tweets, that i could recognize every game shown during Summer Game Fest week

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Vermain posted:

i can only assume it was one of those garbage Brand Identity things some pencilneck marketing people had written down in a binder somewhere, and they're only now finally moving away from it because all those people got turfed and it's predominantly only people who genuinely want to make something good remaining

It's more just an antiquated hold over from when that poo poo mattered, thankfully all the characters who just keep on committing war crimes For Reasons have either been killed off or effectively removed from the plot.

I've always maintained that Warcraft 4 would be a good thing if they wanted to keep setting up hostilities, but for the most part people just want to hang out with their friends and beat up raid bosses - so who loving cares about the faction war.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Harrow posted:

I unfortunately can't really get behind the dragon form, just don't like it. Does seem like an interesting class I just don't really like forced shapeshifting. (Same reason I always used Glyph of Stars when I played balance druid.)

the dragon form is fine it's the human forms that are ugly as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

drat unlocking the adorable foxes is tempting. But no! I don't even know where my authenticator is and I've sworn off Blizz. You can't make me.