Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Tai posted:

I loving love reading tankies talk about 2014 coup and just missing out all the key parts of it to suit w/e hosed up poo poo swirls around their brains. Technically it wasn't even really a coup since the government booted out the president for renegging on government voting yes for EU intergration.

The president literally got into a helicopter and flew away to another country abandoning his job

He also had a golden loaf of bread, a private zoo and kitschy poo poo like that, a complete idiot oligarch that anyone with some functional braincells cheered on getting rid of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

HonorableTB posted:

This is absolutely not happening.

beer_war posted:

Where are you reading these unconfirmed reports?

I'm just posting this as the source of those unconfirmed reports since you asked, I do not think it's true and have no idea the veracity of this person.

I'd love to speculate about why Ukraine would do that or what it would look like but this random twitter post is what I'm seeing cited in a few places in reference to Belgorod.

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1656751810537746480?s=20

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I wonder if this is the counter offense or just a localised russia collapse.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

People have been saying for months that Russia was starting to over extend in that area and they really should have stopped advancing. Yeah it looks like they are starting to cut off the Ukrainian forces but with their manpower issues in order to do that they got spread so thin that Ukraine can pretty much choose where they breakthrough once they get stuff kicked off

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

quote:

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1656739972081152027?s=20

Call me crazy but communicating up the chain of command via social media to showcase your disharmony probably isn't a good idea for a military. But what do I know?

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Tai posted:

I wonder if this is the counter offense or just a localised russia collapse.
Local most likely, Bakhmut isn't a key strategic location.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I'm just posting this as the source of those unconfirmed reports since you asked, I do not think it's true and have no idea the veracity of this person.

I'd love to speculate about why Ukraine would do that or what it would look like but this random twitter post is what I'm seeing cited in a few places in reference to Belgorod.

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1656751810537746480?s=20

Lol of course they accuse Ukraine of using chemical weapons after they just used a poo poo ton of gas attacks last week

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

:lol: I hope this means they publicly recovered something interesting. Broke down, abandoned, and only slightly on fire.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

HonorableTB posted:

Most of the really good copium is gonna be mined from telegram, tbh.

Indeed.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Not wrong about the UK economy.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Rybar doesn't make much more sense in Russian than he does in English but this is particularly lol

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

deported to Canada posted:

Absolutely, this happens all the time in war, see Operation Mincemeat: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Mincemeat

Every time I think about Mincemeat, I think about how weird it must have been for those coroners who had to find the body to use.

Also, LOL that the guy they used was going to be rejected because he wasn't fit enough for a field officer and they were like "Well then he's not a field officer, but a staff officer pencil-pusher."

zone
Dec 6, 2016

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Now that the soviets are at the gates of Berlin we can funnel them into Konigsplatz .

Also our cyanide pill driven economy will GROW

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Ukraine could be besieging the Kremlin and the Cope would be about how the glorious RA will strike back from its DOOM FORTRESS in Outer Siberia

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

At this point when you say Modern I don't know if that means something like a T-14 or a tank that might have seen action in their war in Afghanistan rather than WWII

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1656757866668126229

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1656724676394074112

The braggarts have even lost the use of their lancets.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1656724676394074112

The braggarts have even lost the use of their lancets.

"saved lives" how about you get the gently caress out of Ukraine and save even more.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's been brought up here before, but it looks like the one oppo guy dropped out in Turkey after a deepfake sex tape of him was released. May give the main guy a chance if those votes flow to him.

Oscar Wilde Bunch fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 12, 2023

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen
https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1656752002917888021?t=_D1n4YsHGs_FxHZVdbKXGA&s=19
Apparently there seem to be breakthroughs along various parts of the front line.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

It's been brought up here before, but it looks like the one oppo guy dropped out in Turkey after a deepfake sex tape of him was released. May give the main guy a chance if those votes flow to him.

is it a good tape?

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

I may just be a guy who doesn't know anything about this sort of thing, but this screen shot, to me, gives away the cope game that this poster is playing.

Throwing Wagner under the bus and dismissing them all as worthless, desposible degenerates is absolutely not something you would do if your side was winning. You'd be hailing them as heroes if they were contributing to some grand victory.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Is it possible the push back in Bakhmut isn't the start of the big counter offensive?

I know nothing of military, so while I understand that you don't mobilize without orders is it possible that regaining parts of Bakhmut is its own separate thing taking advantage of the situation?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

Is it possible the push back in Bakhmut isn't the start of the big counter offensive?

I know nothing of military, so while I understand that you don't mobilize without orders is it possible that regaining parts of Bakhmut is its own separate thing taking advantage of the situation?

These are just opportunistic counterattacks at the local level. They saw chances and exploited them but it's not the main thing. When that kicks off it will be very apparent

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Tai posted:

I loving love reading tankies talk about 2014 coup and just missing out all the key parts of it to suit w/e hosed up poo poo swirls around their brains. Technically it wasn't even really a coup since the government booted out the president for renegging on government voting yes for EU intergration.

I saw this on a discord and it just blows my mind the complete falsehood, half-truth and rewriting history:

"Yanukovych had the option between taking an IMF loan & destroying Ukraine's pensions, or taking a Russian loan & not doing that (but obviously becoming closer to a russian satellite state), he chose the latter, and so a revolution occurred in which trade unionists were burned alive in a building (which more recent Ukrainian officials & militias still cutely refer to, usually as a BBQ) and the administration replaced with a guy who privatized basically everything"

Like, how many things can someone get wrong or just plain lie about in one sentence. lol Especially the subtle attempt to somehow turn pro-Russian plants and agitators into poor trade union!!! workers :cry: instead of what they were and what actually happened and how they literally burned themselves to death because they were morons camping a government building

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Shinjobi posted:

Yes, I think that's likely. It's sometimes said that ideally, your feints should be not only indistinguishable from your real attacks, but you should be able to turn one into the other if the situation turns for or against. Not that I think the Bakhmut attacks are in that feint-unless class, but I mean to say that I expect the start of the big counteroffensive to be unidentifiable until there's suddenly a big territory gain, rather than slowly grinding a line into nothing and then marching over it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Shinjobi posted:

It's most likely Bakhmut is opportunistic and not the actual big counter. It's pretty clear Russian / Wagner forces are no longer in any condition to fight on

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Cthulu Carl posted:

Every time I think about Mincemeat, I think about how weird it must have been for those coroners who had to find the body to use.

Also, LOL that the guy they used was going to be rejected because he wasn't fit enough for a field officer and they were like "Well then he's not a field officer, but a staff officer pencil-pusher."

I didn't know the person had been identified. I learned about this operation in one of my favorite books as a kid. I forget the name but it was a huge book on espionage and special ops. in WWII. Nothing held back: gory pictures, molotov recipes, the works. And I at like 7 could just read it and nobody would stop me. Really taught me the value of my local library.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Shinjobi posted:

Opportunistic attack. The local forces wore themselves out and were spread too thin. Ukrainians are exploiting it to regain territory.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's pretty clear Russian / Wagner forces are no longer in any condition to fight on
https://twitter.com/rybar_en/status/1656768821275795457

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

HonorableTB posted:

These are just opportunistic counterattacks at the local level. They saw chances and exploited them but it's not the main thing. When that kicks off it will be very apparent

Cool, that's what I figured but it never hurts to ask

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Huh, I wonder why they don't have the manpower to probe enemy lines anymore.

:thunk:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Deki posted:

Huh, I wonder why they don't have the manpower to probe enemy lines anymore.

:thunk:

At the rate things are going, they won't have any manpower worth mentioning at all if another flood of mobiks doesn't get sent up soonish. Strelkov was already begging last month to everyone he could think of to find another 300,000 mobiks from anywhere possible to shore up the front, because the manpower advantage from the last mooooobilization was already gone.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I may not have an armchair, but I can still pretend to be a general. I feel like the funniest possible feint would be using some of those new long-range missiles to completely destroy the Kursk Bridge and start a little fight at the border of Crimea and then of course begin the actual offensive literally anywhere else once Russia thinks they know what is happening

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Dr. Quarex posted:

I may not have an armchair, but I can still pretend to be a general. I feel like the funniest possible feint would be using some of those new long-range missiles to completely destroy the Kursk Bridge and start a little fight at the border of Crimea and then of course begin the actual offensive literally anywhere else once Russia thinks they know what is happening

Sorry, no, not allowed for non-armchair-havers.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Somaen posted:

The president literally got into a helicopter and flew away to another country abandoning his job

He also had a golden loaf of bread, a private zoo and kitschy poo poo like that, a complete idiot oligarch that anyone with some functional braincells cheered on getting rid of

Let he who hasn't siphoned off the wealth of his nation in order to build a life-sized spanish galleon on his private lake cast the fist stone :colbert:

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Today's daily ISW is drumming war drums: https://understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-may-11-2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Keep in mind ISW's recent trend towards sensationalism and use of loosely sourced/biased sources that has happened as the war has progressed. They got bit by the engagement bug I'm afraid. Not to say they aren't still useful, just keep that in mind that they may sensationalize things a bit more than what's really happening

Edit: lmao look at this delusional poo poo, pure copium from peskov:

Peskov posted:

Kremlin Spokesperson Dmitry Peskov contradicted the pre-war Kremlin justifications for the war by asserting that the Russian “special military operation” began as “a conflict between Russia and Ukraine.” He said that Russia has “partially” achieved the goals of “protecting” people in Donbas,[9] but added that Russia is still far from fully achieving these goals. He said that it was ”hard to believe” at the beginning of the war that NATO, the United States, and European countries would ”intervene in this conflict.” ISW previously reported that the Kremlin has begun to shift its domestic narratives to claim that Russia is fighting only against NATO in an effort to set informational conditions for potential Russian military failures during the planned Ukrainian counteroffensive.[10] Peskov’s statement is consistent with the new Russian narrative but contradicts Russian President Vladimir Putin’s statements prior to the February 24, 2022 invasion. Putin stated on February 21, 2022, that Russia is ”not fighting the Ukrainian people” and claimed that Ukraine had become a hostage of its ”Western masters.”[11] The Russian pre-war justification for the invasion relied heavily on portraying a NATO threat to Russia supposedly emanating from Ukraine.[12]

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 12, 2023