Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

DarkCrawler posted:

Starting from the Europeans!

*that meme of muscular hands grasping eachother with European immigrants to United States and smallpox*

Off to try and launch a presidential bid on the basis of forcing the Pennsylvania Dutch to speak standard English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

MrNemo posted:

Off to try and launch a presidential bid on the basis of forcing the Pennsylvania Dutch to speak standard English.

What're you grexing about? They're perfectly understandable so quit your brutzing.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Kestral posted:

Insular immigrant communities that actively resist being assimilated into the wider culture have been a thing pretty much forever, and America has a long history of them. This spooks the hell out of some people, and those people tend to vote Republican.

Isn’t this really a generational issue too? At least from my limited life experience - the first generation comes here and moves to an insular community and then subsequent generations assimilate while also keeping some of the norms of the first generation?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Pillowpants posted:

Isn’t this really a generational issue too? At least from my limited life experience - the first generation comes here and moves to an insular community and then subsequent generations assimilate while also keeping some of the norms of the first generation?
It depends. There are religious enclaves in New York State and New York City that only speak Yiddish and whose religious schools barely teach English, and Yiddish-speaking Jews have been around in the USA since the 1820s. However, they're a tiny fraction of New York Yiddish speakers in the 1920s. See also some of the Amish/Mennonite cloud of worshipers.

I'd love to hear about other long-lasting non-English conclaves.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Kestral posted:

These enclaves do exist, although Trump assuredly meant this in the most racist way possible. I don't know about elsewhere, but the Bay Area has a sizable population of Chinese immigrants and even Chinese-Americans who speak little or no English. I've done business with them through interpreters and intermediaries, and a friend made his entire (quite lucrative) livelihood out of tutoring their kids - but only because he'd lived in China for several years and was fluent in the language, married a Chinese national, and had other folks in that community who would vouch for him.

Insular immigrant communities that actively resist being assimilated into the wider culture have been a thing pretty much forever, and America has a long history of them. This spooks the hell out of some people, and those people tend to vote Republican.

Trump was also talking about Chinatown in Washington, D.C. Which is incredibly funny because there are basically no Chinese immigrants there anymore and it is an area less than 4 square blocks large. It is a historic Chinatown, not an actual Chinatown.

The main square of the Chinatown metro stop has a McDonald's, a Bed Bath and Beyond, a Starbucks, and an AT&T store. The Verizon center where the NBA plays is there. It is literally the worst possible example he could have picked of a place overrun by non-English speaking people. In the 2020 census, only 2% of the population was born outside of the U.S. and the area is very wealthy and white.

They "honor the heritage" of the area by putting Chinese text underneath their advertisements:

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 11, 2023

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Trump was also talking about Chinatown in Washington, D.C. Which is incredibly funny because there are basically no Chinese immigrants there anymore and it is an area less than 4 square blocks large. It is a historic Chinatown, not an actual Chinatown.

The main square of the Chinatown metro stop has a McDonald's, a Bed Bath and Beyond, a Starbucks, and an AT&T store. The Verizon center where the NBA plays is there. It is literally the worst possible example he could have picked of a place overrun by non-English speaking people. In the 2020 census, only 2% of the population was born outside of the U.S. and the area is very wealthy and white.

They "honor the heritage" of the area by putting Chinese text underneath their advertisements:

Having lived in DC. Chinatown there does at least have the largest collection of Chinese restaurants in the city. But yeah, I don't think there was much Chinese character beyond that.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Pillowpants posted:

It really does depend on the area, as Arsenic Lupin says. The Chinese enclave I'm familiar with is fairly large as these things go, large enough to be reasonably self-sufficient in terms of not having to interact much with English speakers to get by, and they're quite insular. They have extensive contact with family back in China, and those folks slowly filter in as well (and sometimes go back, it flows both ways). It's been this way a long time, multiple generations, just quietly buying up property around the region and expanding the enclave. The wealthier families have a higher proportion of kids who speak English fluently, because they hire excellent tutors at astonishing rates, but you wouldn't necessarily call them culturally or linguistically assimilated. I went to college with someone from that enclave who could barely speak English despite being born here, but he was a huge guy just coasting on a sports scholarship so it basically didn't matter.

It's actually become a bit of a security concern, because these folks are extraordinarily vulnerable to pressure from the CCP, who maintain a presence there along the lines of the "secret police stations" that keep getting uncovered. The degree to which they've isolated themselves linguistically and culturally, and their strong ties to family back in China, make them easy for the CCP to coerce. California also has an ongoing problem with Chinese intelligence programs, and it's no surprise that cultural/linguistic enclaves with a lot of rich, insular property owners in the Bay Area are an avenue of influence.

What I'm hearing here is that Trump doesn't know what a Chinatown is, in much the same way that he doesn't know what dogs are.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

He doesn’t know what dogs are?

I’m not surprised, that’s just new to me/forgotten in the endless sea of dumb.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Xiahou Dun posted:

He doesn’t know what dogs are?

I’m not surprised, that’s just new to me/forgotten in the endless sea of dumb.

Trump thinks the phrase "like a dog" means the same thing as "like a loser" or "very poorly."

So, there are many many videos and tweets where he describes something as "like a dog" that a dog does not do or is not something unique to a dog. A small sample includes:

- Choked like a dog.
- Fired like a dog.
- Polished shoes like a dog.
- Dumped like a dog.
- Scammed like a dog.
- Danced like a dog.
- Debate like a dog.
- Ungrateful like a dog.
- Cheated like a dog.
- Spending money like a dog.
- Lightweight like a dog.
- Punched like a dog.
- Cursed like a dog.

And it became a meme that Trump does not know what a dog is.

Edit: There was also an event where he was posing with police and they had a police dog. He pointed at the dog and said, "They call this a canine."

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 11, 2023

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

"Trembled and revealed its many maws opening into eternity as the eyes opened in the sky like a dog"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Edit: There was also an event where he was posing with police and they had a police dog. He pointed at the dog and said, "They call this a canine."

Probably the most factual statement he's ever made ...

And it was about a dog... :confused:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Kestral, I was wondering if you were talking about the SF Chinatown. I had always been curious about whether people were diffusing out, or whether the enclave was retaining its linguistic isolation.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It depends. There are religious enclaves in New York State and New York City that only speak Yiddish and whose religious schools barely teach English, and Yiddish-speaking Jews have been around in the USA since the 1820s. However, they're a tiny fraction of New York Yiddish speakers in the 1920s. See also some of the Amish/Mennonite cloud of worshipers.

I'd love to hear about other long-lasting non-English conclaves.

I went to college in Lowell, Mass which is a majority southeast Asian city (split among Vietnamese and Cambodian populations mostly.) My closest friend from college is a second generation person. His parents know enough English to get by and were able to work but from what I’ve gathered is that they prefer he only interacts with his the kids of people they fled the Khmer rouge with.

He’s gone as far as to reject the arranged marriage they wanted but he still lives at home at 40 because according to him - it’s what that generation expects.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

probably meant K9 to be fair

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

Having lived in DC. Chinatown there does at least have the largest collection of Chinese restaurants in the city. But yeah, I don't think there was much Chinese character beyond that.

Historically, as in, into the 80s, DC Chinatown *did* have the city's biggest Chinese community. It was small compared to cities like New York, Seattle or San Francisco, but was legit. Then the combination of Metro and the MCI Arena really jumpstarted gentrification in the area and most of the Chinese-owned businesses cashed in and sold out.
That's what gets you weird things like the Chinese signed Starbucks - the signage ordinance is a legacy from when there actually was a Chinese community in Chinatown.
</dcnativedigression>

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Cross posting from teh RWM thread

Hannity gave Trump a nice sweet on air blowjob about teh CNN town hall in the 45 seconds or so I subjected myself to it.

Thing that stood out to me was that Sean was claiming that the moderator only wanted to talk about the past (1/6, election fraud claims) and never asked him what he would do as president in the future.

Except she absolutely did, repeatedly, and Trump mostly refused to engage.

She asked him:

- How he would rule or how he would come down on a federal abortion ban (he'll look at it and do what's right)
- How he would handle the border (take a wild guess)
- What he would do about raising the debt limit (default)
- How he hoped the Russia v Ukraine would play out (didn't answer, but claimed he could end it in 24 hours)
- If he would accept a loss in a 2024 election (if he thought it was fair, so that's no)
- If he would pardon Jan 6th criminals (yes)
- About the verdict in the civil trial in NYC (he never met her) and if he would appeal (yes)

Point being, he was asked a LOT of questions about the present and also what a future presidency might look like but, of course, Sean made it sound like the mean nasty woman from Fake News CNN only wanted to ask him about the past (again) and wouldn't let him speak. He spoke lied a LOT and had ample time to spew his bullshit. He never shut the gently caress up.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Kestral, I was wondering if you were talking about the SF Chinatown. I had always been curious about whether people were diffusing out, or whether the enclave was retaining its linguistic isolation.

My understanding is that it is, but it is aging and shrinking, but that is very much second hand.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The problem with the "Trump is doing pro wrestling" analysis is that nobody gets to chokeslam him so he'll stop talking.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Nitrousoxide posted:

But yeah, I don't think there was much Chinese character beyond that.

oh come on there's 7 in that one photo!

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The problem with the "Trump is doing pro wrestling" analysis is that nobody gets to chokeslam him so he'll stop talking.

You can chokeslam anybody once

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Judge is figuring out he has to treat Trump like a 4-year-old:

Trump to get schooled on rules after district attorney worries he’ll use evidence to slam witnesses

quote:

Donald Trump was ordered Thursday to appear by video at a May 23 hearing in his Manhattan criminal case after a judge this week set rules barring him from using evidence in the case to attack witnesses.

Judge Juan Manuel Merchan scheduled the hybrid hearing — the former president on a TV screen, his lawyers and prosecutors in court — to go over the restrictions with Trump and to make clear that he risks being held in contempt if he violates them.

The case is continuing in state court even as Trump’s lawyers seek to have it moved to federal court. U.S. District Judge Alvin Hellerstein, who is considering the transfer request, issued an order this week setting paperwork deadlines and a hearing for late June.

Merchan, still in charge while that drama plays out, agreed to instruct Trump on the rules by video, rather than in person, after a prosecutor reminded him last week that bringing Trump to court would present mammoth security and logistical challenges.

Trump’s April 4 arraignment, where he pleaded not guilty to 34 felony counts of falsifying business records, attracted a crush of media and protesters, involved multiple street closures, extra security screenings and shut down non-Trump court business for an afternoon.

“We’ll setup the camera for Mr. Trump to appear wherever he is at that time and we’ll do it here in the courtroom virtually,” Merchan said.

Merchan issued what’s known as a protective order on Monday, days after a hearing where he urged Trump’s lawyers and prosecutors from the Manhattan district attorney’s office to reach a compromise regarding the Republican’s access to and use of evidence turned over by prosecutors prior to trial. That kind of evidence sharing, called discovery, is routine in criminal cases, and is intended to help ensure a fair trial.

Prosecutors sought the order soon after Trump’s arrest, citing what they say is his history of making “harassing, embarrassing, and threatening statements” about people he’s tangled with in legal disputes.

Merchan added Trump’s virtual hearing to the court calendar a day after Trump appeared on a CNN forum and offered up a barrage of falsehoods, excuses and insults on a variety of topics, including what he deemed the “fake charge” of his criminal case.

Trump, found liable in a $5 million civil court verdict Tuesday for sexually abusing and defaming writer E. Jean Carroll, argued to CNN that “you can’t get a fair trial” in New York City. He called Carroll a “whack job,” characterized her claims that he assaulted her in the 1990s as “playing hanky-panky in a dressing room” and denied the allegations as a “fake story, made up story.” He also criticized the judge in that case as a “horrible Clinton-appointed judge.”

Merchan’s protective order bars Trump and his lawyers from disseminating evidence to third parties or posting it to social media, and it requires that certain, sensitive material shared by prosecutors be kept only by Trump’s lawyers, not Trump himself. Trump can review that material with his lawyers, but can’t copy or photograph it, the order said.

Merchan, noting Trump’s “special” status as a former president and current candidate, made clear at last week’s hearing that the protective order shouldn’t be construed as a gag order or a way of preventing Trump from speaking publicly about the case.

“I’m bending over backwards and straining to make sure that he is given every opportunity possible to advance his candidacy and to be able to speak in furtherance of his candidacy,” Merchan said. “The last thing I want to do is infringe on his or anybody else’s First Amendment rights.”

Trump’s criminal charges are related to payments his company made to his former lawyer, Michael Cohen. Prosecutors say those payments were intended to reimburse and compensate Cohen for orchestrating hush money payments during the 2016 campaign to bury allegations of extramarital sexual encounters.

Absent a move to federal court, Merchan expects the case to go to trial next February or March, meaning Trump could be stuck in court during next year’s primaries.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I’m pretty happy with him having sworn under oath that he understands minute details of the rules of the protective order before he ignores them.

He’s just gonna lie and it’s really a question of if the order is going to have any teeth, so it doesn’t really matter.

But I personally will be happier just cause it’s neater that way.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
What are the punishments for ignoring that and just making GBS threads out on to social media every bit of discovery that he wants to? I don't think there is any kind of punishment available without extralegal activities that will convince Trump he shouldn't do something he wants to do. I mostly wonder, in an academic sense, what consequences the courts will threaten him with that he will ignore and then never suffer because he has money.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

bird food bathtub posted:

What are the punishments for ignoring that and just making GBS threads out on to social media every bit of discovery that he wants to? I don't think there is any kind of punishment available without extralegal activities that will convince Trump he shouldn't do something he wants to do. I mostly wonder, in an academic sense, what consequences the courts will threaten him with that he will ignore and then never suffer because he has money.

Contempt of Court, generally, which can lead to additional fines and even jail time if the judge gets pissed enough.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oh no. Not being held in contempt of court. Trump has never shown the slightest bit of contempt for the court system. How terrible his punishment would be if he were held in contempt.

I mean, they all know he'll violate that order the earliest chance he gets and face no repercussions for it, right?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Deteriorata posted:

Contempt of Court, generally, which can lead to additional fines and even jail time if the judge gets pissed enough.

Ah, so money he doesn't care about and confinement that will never happen.

Cool.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I'm convinced Trump wants to be put behind bars for the photo op. "The most persecuted man in America, all because he drained the swamp and wants to continue fixing the government!" "A real outsider exposing the problems with our tyrannical Democratic oppressors!" "They'll do anything to stop this guy from tearing down broken institutions!"

Not like they would even keep him overnight, either.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
There's not a judge around who would put a former President in jail for contempt. They'll fine him and if he doesn't pay...

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

BDawg posted:

There's not a judge around who would put a former President in jail for contempt. They'll fine him and if he doesn't pay...

I would love the show cause hearing asking him what his total net worth is, so that they can create an appropriately persuasive penalty.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
"I have a quantum net worth that is simultaneously $10 billion and $1. By observing the net worth you are infringing on my first amendment right."

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
https://www.businessinsider.com/manchin-mcconnell-election-push-2024-west-virginia-senate-race-2023-5

Joe Manchin is surprised and offended that Republicans aren't his friends.

quote:

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell in a recent CNN interview laid out how the GOP would attempt to retake control of the upper chamber next year, which includes his push to go "all out" in defeating Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia, a centrist who has bucked some of President Joe Biden's priorities and is by far the most vulnerable Democratic incumbent eligible for reelection next year.

Manchin has not yet decided if he'll run for reelection next year, but he decried his Kentucky colleague's longstanding goal of removing him from office, telling the network's Manu Raju on Tuesday that he has not campaigned against a fellow member since joining the body in 2010.

"This is what's wrong with this place, okay, and I have said this," Manchin said. "I have never ever campaigned against a sitting colleague."

"And if you want to know what's wrong with the process, go talk to McConnell," he continued. "That tells you everything that's wrong with the Congress and the United States Senate, especially under his leadership."

E: Was in the wrong politics D&D Thread - apologies

BDawg fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 12, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

"Joe Manchin surprised the leopards are trying to eat his face after siding with the "Face-Eating Leopards" party so often against his own party."

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Manchin is a mark rear end bitch

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
A guy in 2023 just realizing that pushing his party right is not going to do him any favors with the GOP. We need a max limit on age in Congress of about 50 so that we can rid ourselves of anyone who still has lead poisoning in their brain. it's Kabuki theater anyway

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
You mean Joe Manchin the far left leaning liberal from West Virginia I hear so much about on talk radio?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

yeah this is just bluster, ofc McConnell wants that seat to someone with an R next to their name, and Manchin's weird rear end state doesn't seem to be pushing him out any time soon

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Xand_Man posted:

yeah this is just bluster, ofc McConnell wants that seat to someone with an R next to their name, and Manchin's weird rear end state doesn't seem to be pushing him out any time soon

His margin was pretty thin in 2018, it's plausible he could lose in 2024.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 13, 2023

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
AFAIK Jim Justice is likely to run for Senator and he would completely blow out Manchin.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013
Please discuss Manchin here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Hope she just keeps hammering him
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-town-hall-cnn-ratings-e-jean-carroll-verdict-b2337488.html

quote:

"Ms Carroll, 79, has meanwhile said she may sue Mr Trump for a third time over his “vile” comments during Wednesday’s broadcast, telling The New York Times that his comments were “just stupid, it’s just disgusting, vile, foul, it wounds people”.

Her attorney, Roberta Kaplan, told the newspaper: “Everything’s on the table, obviously, and we have to give serious consideration to it.”