Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ewe2 posted:

The question is, has Riptide been flipped over and what do they do in that situation? Answer: very similar. One example I could find was the match against Bloodsport in the Vengeance in Vegas clip at about 20 seconds in, a hit against Bloodsport overturns Riptide. So they're evenly matched there, but it looks like Riptide has the advantage of using gyroscopic motion to help get back upright more quickly. And its weapon is also just as useful upside-down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpZFTCwFoBA

Yeah that's a pretty big hit when Riptide's upside down. Feels like Bloodsport got the better of them in that exchange though. Weapon spinning upward seems to be the consensus among the people designing the verts, and I gotta think they have good reasons for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
With an upward spinning vert, all of the energy from the hit recipient gets directed into the ground, throwing them up in the air and minimal force directed back into the aggressor's frame.

If they're upside down, then they're sending all of their force through a small part of the defender's frame, and the floor, while throwing the attacker up in the air because there's nothing to brace against.

Newton, man

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Which is also how riptide flipped itself over in that clip, not gyro forces. Its weapon hit the floor.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

A damage vlog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLYVVUnQxQw

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

ante posted:

With an upward spinning vert, all of the energy from the hit recipient gets directed into the ground, throwing them up in the air and minimal force directed back into the aggressor's frame.

If they're upside down, then they're sending all of their force through a small part of the defender's frame, and the floor, while throwing the attacker up in the air because there's nothing to brace against.

Newton, man

Hitting things upsidown at full speed is a great way to break yourself. At smaller classes it's very easy to have your weapon drag you along to the wall while spinning to self right or just outright have enough torque to flip yourself back over by slamming the throttle if the geometry is right, something which is essentially impossible at the heavyweight scale. An example of this is something like the 3lber Twin Beast, when it's flipped over he can self right by just modulating the weapon. I chose to go the other route of just having the weapon not touch the floor when I am upsidown so I can just run into the wall or the other bot to get right side up. It's not the most elegant solution but it works

The NHRL stream should be time stamped now too. I passed along the suggestion of doing uploaded top 8's per class as well

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Nodoze posted:

The NHRL stream should be time stamped now too. I passed along the suggestion of doing uploaded top 8's per class as well

Awesome! I think top 8s or top 16s would do well for you. It's what all the fighting game tournaments do (although their Top 8s take much longer).

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

PostNouveau posted:

Awesome! I think top 8s or top 16s would do well for you. It's what all the fighting game tournaments do (although their Top 8s take much longer).

I agree and people have tried to suggest some of the things fighting tournaments do, some obviously isn't applicable. It's a little easier to upload top 8 or 16 at a major since they are usually all consecutively played, whereas at NHRL there is some jumping around to different weight classes that requires a little more cutting up of footage

I tried pitching an invite only round robin event similar to Canada Cup Master Series but there wasn't any time to do it this year. Later in the year I'm going to bring it up again and see if we can get it ironed out to fit in the schedule somewhere next year before it's too late. A lot of it depends on when BB filming ends up being too, so logistically it's not quite as simple as the CC Master series but if I could get it to end up happening it would loving rule

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 10, 2023

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Nodoze posted:

Hitting things upsidown at full speed is a great way to break yourself. At smaller classes it's very easy to have your weapon drag you along to the wall while spinning to self right or just outright have enough torque to flip yourself back over by slamming the throttle if the geometry is right, something which is essentially impossible at the heavyweight scale. An example of this is something like the 3lber Twin Beast, when it's flipped over he can self right by just modulating the weapon. I chose to go the other route of just having the weapon not touch the floor when I am upsidown so I can just run into the wall or the other bot to get right side up. It's not the most elegant solution but it works

Smaller classes also generally have the wall at the edge of the arena so you only need the weapon for the initial pop, then your drivetrain can push you up and over. BattleBots has the rail belt and then a foot or two of space until the lexan.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Little heads up. Last week and this, they've had the new episode up an hour earlier. New episode already available on Discovery+!

Also don't forget to cancel your subscription cause there's only 2 more weeks left in the season... At least until they run the summer slugfest thing.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Well that was a hell of a fight to start off with.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PostNouveau posted:

Is dry ice cooling even against the rules? If they want to waste weight on it, doesn't feel wrong to me.

Oddly enough a different team discussed using dry ice during the road to the giant nut aftershow. But Riptide wasn't referenced at all in that segment (they do get a segment though in the show...)

Obviously not posting the team since it would be a spoiler :)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
wooooooo

Black Dragon-Ripperoni: Wowwwww, what a fight. Black Dragon is back to being an unstoppable force. That's a very cool slo-mo fight of Ripperoni losing the flywheel motor in one of those exchanges.

Cobalt-Monsoon: Holy poo poo the upsets. That was a hell of a piece of driving by the Monsoon driver. I don't think anybody saw that one coming.

95% of the builders thought Cobalt would win!

Minotaur-Fusion: lol Fusion, you looked so good for 5 seconds

Hydra-Deathroll: lol Deathroll had so much airtime that fight

Quantum-Ribbot: Serious driving mistakes by Quantum. Not getting all the bites in they could while Ribbot was stuck in the slots, then clamping down on an active weapon and losing a tooth, which would have been serious trouble if they hadn't also gotten flipped over for good in that exchange.

Malice-Switchback: Don't usually see that kind of heartiness from Malice. Hey, a Ray Billings appearance!

:lol: a feature story on the Riptide poo poo from last week. Battlebots loves controversy.

Beta-Whiplash: Beta going with their dumbest configuration, let's see how that works out for them.

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sawblaze-Blip: Exactly what Sawblaze wanted to do. Scoop 'em, slam 'em, hammer 'em.

This is the blueprint against Minotaur too if they both make the quarters.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
:lmao:

Madcatter planning to use a "hugepoon" with the accompanying shot of the bot with a censored bar.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nooooooooo my bracket my pizzaaaaa Wow what a fight lmao - going to go cheer on Minotaur to the finals but tbh think End Game's got it. Left side not going how I thought it would!

Updated bracket:

Other fights:

Really didn't think Monsoon would take that lol. Good luck with Sawblaze!

Lol Fusion went critical and double lol at the "that was quick" sign

Hydra vs Bloodsport was a good one! That hit was amazing lol

Quantum had it and lost it, :rip:

Didn't really favor Switchback or Malice one way or the other, but Malice did better than I thought it would.

Sawblaze did what Sawblaze does

What the hell Beta lol

Fun episode!

quote:

:lol: a feature story on the Riptide poo poo from last week. Battlebots loves controversy.

Except this lol

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 11, 2023

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The second I saw betas armor I knew they had lost. what a terrible decision.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Great Beer posted:

The second I saw betas armor I knew they had lost. what a terrible decision.

Have they ever won with that armor? I seem to remember it being cursed.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Dang that was a good episode

LOL at the in memoriam segment at the end :v:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Wow did I ever get Q4 wrong but got mostly Q1 right. I think we're in agreement on the driving and strategy mistakes in that bracket. I felt some of those matches might be done deals but held out hope for a miracle and I was wrong.

I didn't think Beta had any significant chance in terms of armor, the bot's design makes it impossible to armor in any sensible way close to modern bot design, but my hope was that they might have had a driving strategy around that, and I was mistaken there.

RIPperoni has a similar issue regarding armor, it's really just a big damaging wheel that needs to win quickly before it's put out of action first. That's a design choice, you compensate by being a drat good driver and being lucky. Not lucky enough today.

Cobalt, well there's another design choice and it's bitten them before, I just didn't expect Monsoon to deliver it.

Based on that performance I"m going to back Black Dragon in a similar vein to Minotaur, it seems to have the same obstinate durability and patience and a head to head would be awesome.

Updated bracket:

I'm glad Reese had the last word "Son of a b*tch"

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 12, 2023

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Riptide are a bunch of pricks, but the BD-Ripperoni fight make Riptide seem that much better

The Ripperoni motor being exposed like that seems like a bit of a design flaw

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I just watched Ripperoni v. Black Dragon. There isn't enough :stare::stare::stare: in the world to describe that fight. Instant classic. Holy poo poo.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I wasn't expecting Deathroll to break its own weapon on the stick

bad break there

e: Quantum wtf

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 12, 2023

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

i don't know what some of these british teams are on. the tactics some of them deploy are just head scratchers

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That Witch Doctor fight was amazing, but I think beating Minotaur for 10 seconds and then turning off might be Fusion's finest hour.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

PostNouveau posted:

That Witch Doctor fight was amazing, but I think beating Minotaur for 10 seconds and then turning off might be Fusion's finest hour.

It really is the most lovable jobber since Rusty.

LemonRind
Apr 26, 2010

CEO OF FUNHAVER ENTERPRISES
Ask me about making YOUR thread suck less!
Does fusion have to keep both weapons running with their configuration, or are they able to switch them on/off at will? Honestly I was really pulling for them. It looked so good & then robot on fire.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PostNouveau posted:

Reflecting on this, they gave the Shatter captain a good long turn on the mic last week so this segment felt like they were giving the Riptide captain his right of reply. LOL that he just made himself look like an even bigger rear end in a top hat

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Black Dragon v Ripperoni as a matchup makes me sad. I like both of these teams.

holy lmao what a fight. 2 minutes in and the fight felt like it went way longer. The brazilians were so happy :unsmith:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Reflecting on this, they gave the Shatter captain a good long turn on the mic last week so this segment felt like they were giving the Riptide captain his right of reply. LOL that he just made himself look like an even bigger rear end in a top hat

he can't help himself, just totally unlikable

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 10:43 on May 12, 2023

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I can definitely see why they may have thought they went in a bit too hard on Riptide and wanted to give Ethan airtime to defend himself, but I wish they'd waited until an episode Riptide was on. It came off as stoking controversy.

It didn't help that they didn't really seem to have good footage for it. I'm sure someone on Riptide could have made a case for themselves and defused the situation a bit, but it appears that no one did in the moment and they can't very well film more now.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

they can't very well film more now.

You know how the Bachelor does an After The Rose live special?

Introducing... After The Nut.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

oh jay posted:

Oh lord, this episode already had Reese saying he wish he lasted longer than 10 seconds and the hugepoon. I don't know if we need to throw this on the pile!

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

They seriously need a name on that trophy. It's not "The Golden Football" it's the goddamn Lombardi Trophy. Name it after Paul Ventimiglia or Ray Billings or something. Christ.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

oh jay posted:

You know how the Bachelor does an After The Rose live special?

Post nut clarity is right there... come on...

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I look forward to 3 straight fights of 4wd verts coming up with increasingly outlandish attachments to fight Huge.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Railing Kill posted:

They seriously need a name on that trophy. It's not "The Golden Football" it's the goddamn Lombardi Trophy. Name it after Paul Ventimiglia or Ray Billings or something. Christ.

no loving way. the giant nut is the best name in sports.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Borsche69 posted:

no loving way. the giant nut is the best name in sports.

Ok. A compromise:

Ray Billings' Giant Nut

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Not to brag but I'm kinda killing it so far. Only missed 2 of the 16 matches and only lost 1 of my quarterfinalists.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Railing Kill posted:

Well then clearly they should name it Trey Roski's Giant Nut. Trey Roski being one of the OG creators of Battlebots and the old dude with the crowbar separating the bots that get stuck together.

But The Giant Nut is the best name for a trophy!

There's also 5 more weekends of the Destruct-a-thon running the Proving Ground fights for teams to try and get a spot into World Championship VIII. And apparently there is a chance these fights are getting recorded with plans of uploading to YouTube at some point, so that'll be cool. Also :lol: at them making Manta, the winner of Robogames still fight at the Proving Ground to get in. https://battlebots.fandom.com/wiki/BattleBots_Proving_Ground

Goes through July 2nd. Presumably that would put filming of Championship VIII into August if they are going to be able to film it in the summer like they want before the F1 setup destroy their street.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well it's not the proved grounds

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

It also may be an excuse to meet them in person and see what their TV presence will be like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Great Beer posted:

It also may be an excuse to meet them in person and see what their TV presence will be like.

Riptide is either the cause of this check, or evidence against the idea. One hopes management would learn from mistakes.