Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the loving nissan leaf starts at 28.5k msrp lol

since there's no way to do chargers for people who don't have their own individual garage unit, you'd have to have the things everywhere, basically replace the pumps at gas stations with them. oh and have it only take a minute to refill like now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

i've honestly become a lot happier once i realized that arguing about specific things like electric cars or renewable energy is completely meaningless as long as unchecked exponential growth exists and that capitalism not only lacks a mechanism to stop it, but requires it and naturally optimizes economic activity to maximize that exponential growth. i mean, i've kinda known that for a long time, but making it explicit has made things so much simpler since there's really only that one thing to focus on. it feels less overwhelming than having a multitude of issues all competing for attention

ya obvi EVs are bad for changing the climate but even if we make every car an EV there will still be the exact same number of living humans by the year 2200 with even a modest 2% annual growth in energy consumption. so don't panic, we got this :)

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i run my car on clean natural whale oil

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

yeah even from a life cycle analysis perspective they're better in the US, coal power plants do at least want to make as much electricity from the coal they can, while ICE vehicles are constantly idling, revving hard, below optimal operating temp, etc.

https://www.ucsusa.org/sites/default/files/2022-09/driving-cleaner-report.pdf

I've always found this chart helpful for comparing between EVs and ICE and the different regional parts of the grid:

but again this is "better" in the same way that an alcoholic choosing to drink 6 pints of 9.8% ABV beer tonight is "better" than drinking a handle of vodka tonight.

looking at this graph it is extremely funny to me that VW made a diesel polo in 2010 that got 80mpg

sure, it was small and slow and poo poo but it would go 800 miles on a tank

I remember it was like 15 grand at the time or something

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Microplastics posted:

and wait, we haven't even got to the best bit

All these EVs will make virtually no difference to emissions at all if they still plug into coal power plants ahhahahahahahahahahahha

trabisnikof already did you the favor of correcting this bullshit, but I really have to highlight what an absolute fox news grandpa rear end thing to say this is. this is a nakedly republican/oil-co think tank talking point, seeded into the discourse via the usual right-wing noise machine, and here we have you uncritically regurgitating it in loving cspam. this poo poo should make you feel deeply ashamed. this should be a shining and clear enough example that your opinions are incredibly stupid on this topic and you are in no place to tell anyone what is and isn't pointless or effective. if you did this on a more personal/identity topic instead of the abstract one of climate/energy, like a trans issue or a race issue, your rear end would be banned. for some dumb reason this is the one thread in cspam where saying wildly ignorant ben shapiro talking point poo poo is borderline popular.

its ok to be dumb, i'm dumb on most topics most of the time, but it makes you a giant rear end in a top hat to be dumb *and* loudmouthed know-it-all about something.
I mean for fucks sake you just sat there and tried to do your own napkin math in away that very loving clearly demonstrates you've never put any real thought into the topic let alone bothered to read and learn from decent resources. you are wholesale ignorant and yet supremely confident, the worst mix-max.

anyway reading this back i'm sorry its clearly at least 20% too harsh but gently caress man it just sucks so hard to have the theoretically leftist place with its theoretically above the bullshit climate thread stuffed to the gills with the dumbest poo poo sometimes. like what kills my hope the most is how even here there's so much wildly right-wing-misinformed poo poo.

silicone thrills posted:

I think this is the biggest thing people fail to grasp. It's not solving the problem. Its just less bad.

the only people failing to grasp that are the ones that think "less bad" means "therefore no point".

Griz
May 21, 2001

if California actually goes through with the EV mandate they're going to have even more power grid failures

quote:

As California rapidly boosts sales of electric cars and trucks over the next decade, the answer to a critical question remains uncertain: Will there be enough electricity to power them?

State officials claim that the 12.5 million electric vehicles expected on California’s roads in 2035 will not strain the grid. But their confidence that the state can avoid brownouts relies on a best-case — some say unrealistic — scenario: massive and rapid construction of offshore wind and solar farms, and drivers charging their cars in off-peak hours.

Under a groundbreaking new state regulation, 35% of new 2026 car models sold in California must be zero-emissions, ramping up to 100% in 2035. Powering these vehicles and electrifying other sectors of the economy means the state must triple its power generation capacity and deploy new solar and wind energy at almost five times the pace of the past decade.

The Air Resources Board enacted the mandate last August — and just six days later, California’s power grid was so taxed by heat waves that an unprecedented, 10-day emergency alert warned residents to cut electricity use or face outages. The juxtaposition of the mandate and the grid crisis sparked widespread skepticism: How can the state require Californians to buy electric cars if the grid couldn’t even supply enough power to make it through the summer?
https://calmatters.org/environment/2023/01/california-electric-cars-grid/

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

GREAT ANOTHER loving ONE

no EVs will not crash the grid

jesus tapdancing christ

other headlines from that same author and site posted:

‘Impossible’ and ‘likely to fail’? Or ‘putting lives over profits’? Behind California’s battle to electrify trucks

Climate controversy: California’s plan for handling crisis is flawed, advisors say

Going electric: California car mandate would hit mechanics hard

like how can you be this loving gullible to clickbait concern trolling in 2023

MightyBigMinus has issued a correction as of 01:01 on May 12, 2023

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

kaxman posted:

looking at this graph it is extremely funny to me that VW made a diesel polo in 2010 that got 80mpg

sure, it was small and slow and poo poo but it would go 800 miles on a tank

I remember it was like 15 grand at the time or something

but didn’t they cheat with the pee reservoir?

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

MightyBigMinus posted:

GREAT ANOTHER loving ONE

jesus tapdancing christ

there is probably a bible passage that says EVs are bad so we are covered any way you want to take this

Edit: See

quote:

“Behold, he goes up like clouds,
And his chariots like the whirlwind;
His horses are swifter than eagles.
Woe to us, for we are ruined!”

EVs are really fast. Some might say "like the whirlwind." Definitely swifter than an eagle.

coincidence?

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 01:02 on May 12, 2023

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

MightyBigMinus posted:

wildly right-wing-misinformed poo poo.

the only people failing to grasp that are the ones that think "less bad" means "therefore no point".

People like you are cute. Same people who got haughty about plastic recycling in the 90's. Good job, you sorted the bin. They lied to you and shipped it all to southeast asia, which in turn put it in the ocean or lit it on fire. We paid for the gas to make all that happen, so we could pretend we were making a difference. EV's are the same. All the data is out there, the net fuel costs to get one to your doorstep and drive 100k miles is not very different. Economy cars 20 years ago had better net benefit than current EV's do.

It doesn't matter. We burn more poo poo every year, YoY, for every year we've been alive. None of our goals are meant to be acheived, and they fall woefully short of curtailing the mess we're actively making. EV's are just another placebo. A nice thought, but not saving the environment in the least unless you deal with the supply side of energy.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

MightyBigMinus posted:

trabisnikof already did you the favor of correcting this bullshit,

Yes they did and I thank them for it

As for the rest: :ok:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MightyBigMinus posted:

GREAT ANOTHER loving ONE

jesus tapdancing christ

Do you forget our power grid is fragmented poo poo? Texas (I understand it’s an isolated, even worse power grid) couldn’t even handle a few days of below freezing weather. California can’t handle a few days of 90+F heat.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

MightyBigMinus posted:

exactly. evs are not useless. evs can take ~4-5Gt/yr off the emissions rate. calling that useless is fundamentally not understanding the problem and choosing a false-dichotomy drama that fits the catatonic/learned-helplessness vibe.

of course i will now get dunked on for a page by super cool posters going "oh so you think the hummer ev is good" and "oh so you want more people to die from traffic accidents" and a hundred other stupid concern trolls. "i guess i just think trains are better but you do you short king".

its all so insipid.

*summoning the spirit of deceased forums user Car Hater* gently caress you

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

because one thing is bad therefore there's no point to anything, i am a smart goon

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

the plastic bag my bread comes in is held shut with a cardboard clip

my plastic wendys cup had a cardboard straw

Griz
May 21, 2001

MightyBigMinus posted:

GREAT ANOTHER loving ONE

jesus tapdancing christ

like how can you be this loving gullible to clickbait concern trolling in 2023

did you even read the article? there are multiple experts saying the grid is already terrible and the state is taking way too long to expand capacity.

quote:

To provide enough electricity to meet total demand, California must:
Increase electricity production by up to 42% in 2035 and, under a recent scenario, as much as 85% in 2045, according to California Energy Commission estimates. Generation capacity — the maximum that must be installed to meet demand throughout a given year — would need to triple by 2045.
and the power company itself:

quote:

Southern California Edison worries that if drivers charge during late summer afternoons, electric vehicles could strain the grid, said Brian Stonerock, the utility’s director of business planning and technology. Edison’s service area includes the desert, where customers rely on air conditioning, and their peak use times are when solar power is less available as the sun goes down.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Normally around this time of year, Alberta has had around 7,000 hectares of wildfires. This year, it's already at roughly 450,000 hectares.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

err posted:

Normally around this time of year, Alberta has had around 7,000 hectares of wildfires. This year, it's already at roughly 450,000 hectares.

which ev should I buy in order to feel better about this fact

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

MightyBigMinus posted:

because one thing is bad therefore there's no point to anything, i am a smart goon

I dont think anyone here has said there's no point in anything, at least in a serious manner. There's a lot of dark humor and joking here because all of this is a lot to take in.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

silicone thrills posted:

I dont think anyone here has said there's no point in anything, at least in a serious manner. There's a lot of dark humor and joking here because all of this is a lot to take in.

i was replying to the guy who quoted me and did exactly that (recycling is bs therefore "people like you" will fall for more bs like evs)

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Griz posted:

did you even read the article? there are multiple experts saying the grid is already terrible and the state is taking way too long to expand capacity.

and the power company itself:

oh no, 85% in 22 years, how can we possibly handle this ... checks notes... 2.85%/yr transition... the sky is falling!

just nonsense

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Several things are true at once:

- EVs are less bad than ICE
- Being less bad is still better than being more bad
- EVs are still very bad and not a panacea
- EV adoption is still a giant shitshow for a variety of reasons (most people being renters, production, declining material conditions, needing to consume ever increasing amounts of energy, etc)
- Climate is going to continue to get much worse even if everyone still drives EV and growth will continue
- America is going to try to squeeze, coup, and mulch south america even more to bring the goods home to the imperial core
- EVs are also technocratic slop to help make liberals feel good about consumerism, car culture, and clap their hands saying "i did my part"
- America will only ever undergo transformation by forces of rapidly declining material conditions and decreasing amounts of cheap-energy rippling through the system

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Xaris posted:

- EV adoption is still a giant shitshow for a variety of reasons (most people being renters, production, declining material conditions, needing to consume ever increasing amounts of energy, etc)
- Climate is going to continue to get much worse even if everyone still drives EV and growth will continue
- America is going to try to squeeze, coup, and mulch south america even more to bring the goods home to the imperial core
- EVs are also technocratic slop to help make liberals feel good about consumerism, car culture, and clap their hands saying "i did my part"
- America will only ever undergo transformation by forces of rapidly declining material conditions and decreasing amounts of cheap-energy rippling through the system

thread title

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 73 days!

silicone thrills posted:

lol cmon

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Xaris posted:

- the stagecoach is the ultimate form of sustainable transportation

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Hubbert posted:

- the stagecoach is the ultimate form of sustainable transportation

Rolling coal in my stagecoach

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
meltdown may in full effect

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

*summoning the spirit of deceased forums user Car Hater* gently caress you

OOOOOoooOOOOOOooooo, what happened to all the [insects/birds/fish/posters]? :iiaca:

*Big Pimpin being played on pre-industrial instruments as I pull up and my chariot wheels keep spinning*

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

i've honestly become a lot happier once i realized that arguing about specific things like electric cars or renewable energy is completely meaningless as long as unchecked exponential growth exists and that capitalism not only lacks a mechanism to stop it, but requires it and naturally optimizes economic activity to maximize that exponential growth. i mean, i've kinda known that for a long time, but making it explicit has made things so much simpler since there's really only that one thing to focus on. it feels less overwhelming than having a multitude of issues all competing for attention

Yeah. Once you realize that the entire world system is owned by Capital and Capital requires infinite growth based on a foundation of cheap energy, basically everything else becomes meaningless noise. Rearrange the deck chairs any way you please - this baby is still going down!

I recommend anyone with an Audible account check out Fossil Capital which is apparently free with subscription right now. It’s a little dry, but it lays out the history of the bond between fossil fuel and Capital pretty succinctly.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Hydrogen and EVs are both dumb cope poo poo to let consumers feel good about consuming new poo poo.

Buying new poo poo is not going to solve a crisis caused by over consumption. It doesn't matter if it's 20% less bad than the poo poo you threw away, it's still loving bad.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
lol hydrogen poo poo makes me so irritated. At least if you have to buy a new car because america is a hell scape, an EV is just like whatever if thats an affordable price range for you but hydrogen requires whole new fuel infrastructure that's somehow even dumber.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

the one goon with a hydrogen car spent like 3-4 hours in line at the hydrogen pump recently lol

Griz
May 21, 2001

silicone thrills posted:

lol hydrogen poo poo makes me so irritated. At least if you have to buy a new car because america is a hell scape, an EV is just like whatever if thats an affordable price range for you but hydrogen requires whole new fuel infrastructure that's somehow even dumber.

I haven't looked at hydrogen poo poo for a few years, have they figured out how to store it without cryogenics or having it diffuse out through the high pressure tank walls?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Wakko posted:

ya obvi EVs are bad for changing the climate but even if we make every car an EV there will still be the exact same number of living humans by the year 2200 with even a modest 2% annual growth in energy consumption. so don't panic, we got this :)

you're talking about population. this sounds... dangerously malthusian. why do you want to genocide the third world?

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Griz posted:

I haven't looked at hydrogen poo poo for a few years, have they figured out how to store it without cryogenics or having it diffuse out through the high pressure tank walls?

they switched to Thermos brand tanks

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
love 2 do a 2000s energy alternatives speed run

at least we're not re-doing the biofuels debate all over again, just straight to hydrogen

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

the one goon with a hydrogen car spent like 3-4 hours in line at the hydrogen pump recently lol

Once I learned how hydrogen fueling stations work I realized it was never, ever going to be adopted as a fuel source. It is the most asinine thing ever.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
How about a straight up sincere condescending talk down explaining how the markets and world powers function and why, concluding with better things aren't possible "your childlike ignorance and naivety wishing for unicorns".

That's how adults discuss this stuff is what I'm hearing.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Hubbert posted:

love 2 do a 2000s energy alternatives speed run

at least we're not re-doing the biofuels debate all over again, just straight to hydrogen

biofuels own, i can get to and from work on a single ear of corn (peeled)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Xaris posted:

The hummer ev is literally worse than a chevy malibu on a per-mile basis not to mention its embodied carbon footprint which is just short of a saturn V launch