Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mock Turtle
Jul 19, 2022

Valko posted:

That same thing almost happened to me in Dragon Age 2 with Anders. TBF, I was trying to keep all my companions influence at max and if you shoot him down he doesn't take it well.

lol that clicking on the heart icons is the only way to initiate romance in DA2, though afaik he gets jealous and bitchy if you choose any romance but him regardless of whether you flirted with him ever. I think even if you're kind of a dick to him he's just kinda like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Anders just sucks and is miserable to be around no matter what you do. The Friendship/Rivalry system was far from perfect, but one feature it did have was letting you advance your party members' personal stories without forcing you to humor their bullshit and letting your character hate their guts.

One questline has a nice capstone of a character breaking down and saying you were right all along, and they shouldn't have done the thing you spent all game telling them not to do. I dunno what happens on the friendship route, but it felt oddly validating for the game to acknowledge that I had been against this caper from the start.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

alpha protocol gave you perks based on if npcs really liked you, but also if they really hated you. I think tyranny also had a "respect/fear" dichotomy offering different perks. always good to have options

Alpha Protocol gave you perks for any plot decision you made, it rules. Spare the boss, you get a bunch of small bonuses from their faction, kill the boss, you get a gun perk. Stealth the mission, you get a stealth bonus, use lethal violence, you get a health bonus, use non-lethal violence, you get... some other bonus, I forget. It's a surprisingly simple mechanism to make every choice feel viable.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Mock Turtle posted:

lol that clicking on the heart icons is the only way to initiate romance in DA2, though afaik he gets jealous and bitchy if you choose any romance but him regardless of whether you flirted with him ever. I think even if you're kind of a dick to him he's just kinda like that.

I forgot about that, I checked my steam account and it's been almost 9 years since I played. From what I remember, you do a favour for him and then talk to him. Your only options are start a romance or offend him, so it was better not to talk to him at all.

DA2 gets a lot of well deserved flak but it's not entirely without merit. No matter what you do in the game, things turn into a disaster beyond your control. Some people have called it an excellent deconstruction of the RPG genre. It could have been a classic if EA had given Bioware more time and funding.

You can see the subversion in your companions. The tank is a human woman instead of a dwarf, the dwarf is the marksman instead of the elf and the elf is the heavy hitter instead of a human/qunari barbarian.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
There's a reason it's not called Beta Protocol.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
One of my favourite bits from AP was selecting the civilian outfit for the mission with Deng, and him coming up to me like "pretty clever to try to blend in with the crowd but you also have big rear end gun holsters on your shoulders" and I was like oh right

God that game whipped rear end

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
omen deng whips rear end

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
omen deng was only in the game for about 15 minutes of play time. steven heck, though...

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Valko posted:

I forgot about that, I checked my steam account and it's been almost 9 years since I played. From what I remember, you do a favour for him and then talk to him. Your only options are start a romance or offend him, so it was better not to talk to him at all.

DA2 gets a lot of well deserved flak but it's not entirely without merit. No matter what you do in the game, things turn into a disaster beyond your control. Some people have called it an excellent deconstruction of the RPG genre. It could have been a classic if EA had given Bioware more time and funding.

You can see the subversion in your companions. The tank is a human woman instead of a dwarf, the dwarf is the marksman instead of the elf and the elf is the heavy hitter instead of a human/qunari barbarian.

dragon age 2 is the only dragon age game that's trying to say something. anything at all, even as basic as "hey sometimes you try your best but your buddy does wizard 9/11 anyway, that's life". in my book that puts it at the top of the series by default

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Bad game

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
there's this sense of malaise over some games where you can just tell something went really, really badly during development and that's all over DA2

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i have an embarrassing number of hours playing mass effect but i could never get into dragon age

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
not sure why people are still playing fantasy RPGs that aren't Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire, strange goings-on..

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I played some Dragon Age Inquisition thanks to Gamepass (ftw), it seems really good but it has really bad open world itis and it's not a very good one imo. The best thing I learned is that corporate made them add horses because Skyrim had horses, but they couldn't get them to work properly so riding a horse doesn't make you move any faster. You also lose out on fun party dialogue for the crime of horse riding. Lmao

Alpha Protocol has been on my list but it looks really loving jank

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i should check out Deadfire... i liked PoE1

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Alpha Protocol IS hella jank. but it is also hella good.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

I played some Dragon Age Inquisition thanks to Gamepass (ftw), it seems really good but it has really bad open world itis and it's not a very good one imo. The best thing I learned is that corporate made them add horses because Skyrim had horses, but they couldn't get them to work properly so riding a horse doesn't make you move any faster. You also lose out on fun party dialogue for the crime of horse riding. Lmao

Alpha Protocol has been on my list but it looks really loving jank

Alpha Protocol owns as long as you're not playing it for the janky shooting or strange boss fights

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
I'm downloading alpha protocol again rn thanks to this thread

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Waste of Breath posted:

I'm downloading alpha protocol again rn thanks to this thread

:haibrower:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Alpha protocol whips rear end if you spec entirely into pistols and martial arts for any and all combat needs.

The game is best played like Spliter Cell or Hitman despite seeming like it's also an over the shoulder cover shooter.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I've seen people complain about pistols being OP but magdumping into a boss' dome within half a second of the fight starting is objectively hilarious and owns

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Danaru posted:

I've seen people complain about pistols being OP but magdumping into a boss' dome within half a second of the fight starting is objectively hilarious and owns

this

so satisfying

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
also feels very in character

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Danaru posted:

yeah absolutely, especially considering the boss fights are the worst part of the game. Play it like a stealth game and a dialogue game and use the incredibly OP pistol skills to beat the combat parts that force you out of stealth, and you'll have a great time.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

i didn't realize you could play Alpha Protocol without maxing pistol. wtf kind of spy uses any gun but a pistol?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
been hearing about this new series called the legend of zelda

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Feels Villeneuve posted:

there's this sense of malaise over some games where you can just tell something went really, really badly during development and that's all over DA2

prince of persia: warrior within syndrome

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
booting up deus ex invisible war and geting the sudden urge to murder everything within reach

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I kinda liked Invisible War, I never wound up finishing it but I had fun

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

been hearing about this new series called the legend of zelda

I just got the new one (Breath of the Wild) and it seems pretty good, dunno why people don't talk about it

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Fajita Queen posted:

I just got the new one (Breath of the Wild) and it seems pretty good, dunno why people don't talk about it

People get mad about the low weapon durability but I like it, personally.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Danaru posted:

along the same lines, that is one of the things I like best about Final Fantasy 2 - you can get a pre-emptive attack on the final boss and dome him in a single round, it rules

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

One questline has a nice capstone of a character breaking down and saying you were right all along, and they shouldn't have done the thing you spent all game telling them not to do.

Pretty sure that's Merrill. Fun fact, on my second playthrough of DA2 I was trying to romance Fenris, even got the mid game 'breakup', but while we were broken up it turns out I had picked one flirt option with Merrill, who I had been maxing rivalry with. So suddenly Merrill is asking to hate gently caress my character and I just rolled with it. Really crazy playthrough.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
The first dragon age came had a cool atmosphere and was genuinely creepy as gently caress at certain points. The mythology was neat too with the golden city and the tevinter gods and all that.

Never played 2. Inquisition was loving terrible.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Invisible War was fine. got rid of a lot of jank, but unfortunately some of it was load-bearing jank. also introduced some of it's own, less endearing jank

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
The most fun I had playing Invisible War was gaining enhanced strength and throwing dead bodies around like they were sofa cushions. I honestly wasted 15 minutes flinging the corpse of a guy down a corridor just to see it bounce off a wall 40 feet away.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Frank Frank posted:

The first dragon age came had a cool atmosphere and was genuinely creepy as gently caress at certain points. The mythology was neat too with the golden city and the tevinter gods and all that.

Never played 2. Inquisition was loving terrible.

Inquisition was good as long as you installed some quality of life mods.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I was naive enough not to realize FNV had sex in it but the way I found out was with Red Lucy so I was like 'cool'

FNV really wants you to either gently caress Benny or kill him.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Sally posted:

Alpha Protocol IS hella jank. but it is also hella good.

Yeah, it is simultaneously next level brilliant and also kind of bad. The ‘game’ parts of the game, walking through hallways and gunfights, are aggressively mediocre. The interactivity in plot cut scenes and dialogue is like nothing else before or since. You don’t realize how good a game it is until you replay it.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

SirSamVimes posted:

Inquisition was good as long as you installed some quality of life mods.

What qol mods do you recommend and do any of them make knight enchanter cool again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Psycho Landlord posted:

What qol mods do you recommend and do any of them make knight enchanter cool again

Instant looting, adjustable banter cooldown and scaling reduction on war table missions are the big three. Being able to switch the banter cooldown to 10-30 seconds is the equivalent of finding a trigger point next to an area load screen in DAO and repeatedly running across it with different party compositions and you will never be able to see all the dialogues without it.

Also Knight Enchanter is already cool but the semi action combat in DAI is just not very good. Even as someone who likes the game, I played it for the characters and world, not the combat. Dragon fights are cool though.

edit Not a mod but necessary to enjoy DAI: Don't worry about full clearing a zone if you're not feeling it. And even if you do want to do everything, don't do the Hinterlands all at once. If you start to get bored, go do some main story or character quests or explore another zone and come back later. Or don't, the game won't punish you for not 100%ing everything.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 12, 2023