Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
government mandated carbon offset purchase for exhaled co2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

BRJurgis posted:

How about a straight up sincere condescending talk down explaining how the markets and world powers function and why, concluding with better things aren't possible "your childlike ignorance and naivety wishing for unicorns".

That's how adults discuss this stuff is what I'm hearing.

Accepting reality for what it is isn't supposed to be fun.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Griz posted:

I haven't looked at hydrogen poo poo for a few years, have they figured out how to store it without cryogenics or having it diffuse out through the high pressure tank walls?

It came up itt a little while ago and the short answer is no

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

BRJurgis posted:

How about a straight up sincere condescending talk down explaining how the markets and world powers function and why, concluding with better things aren't possible "your childlike ignorance and naivety wishing for unicorns".

That's how adults discuss this stuff is what I'm hearing.

we aren't posting our villain speeches right now but I think a more condescending tone would be something like "I envy the way in which you are still able to wish for unicorns and naively expect it to come true like an ignorant child"

maybe throw something in about breeders or a few 7 syllable words

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

dont forget hydrogen comes in colors now!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJBgkzcNtrE

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Trabisnikof posted:

dont forget hydrogen comes in colors now!

who leaked the color codes of the warning signs from my bathroom??????? :saddumb:

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

deceased forums user Car Hater

woah rip to a real one

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.

Car Hater posted:

OOOOOoooOOOOOOooooo, what happened to all the [insects/birds/fish/posters]? :iiaca:

*Big Pimpin being played on pre-industrial instruments as I pull up and my chariot wheels keep spinning*

hey, welcome back to the land of the living! dying!

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
we should ban cars though for real

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

ArfJason posted:

There's cringe in the deltas.

Truuuuu

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

ArfJason posted:

There's cringe in the Atlantic.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Stereotype posted:

we should ban cars though for real

all cars must be destroyed

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

ArfJason posted:

There's cringe in the electromagnetic spectrum.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

ArfJason posted:

Theres cringe in the natural gas reserves.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

ArfJason posted:

Cringe in the sand.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Hubbert posted:

hurl them into the ocean

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

but that's where my batteries go

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

but that's where my batteries go

the great thing about the ocean is that there's plenty of room for both batteries and cars!

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
the good news is that with ICE cars and EVs, you can just throw them both into the ocean

both of them already have batteries, so really, this is the more efficient option

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Hubbert posted:

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Hubbert posted:

Carthago delenda est

OIL PANIC posted:

hey, welcome back to the land of the living! dying!

The afterlife ain't all it's cracked up to be, turns out Jesus really does drive a Cadillac

Car Hater has issued a correction as of 05:00 on May 12, 2023

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

zizek holding the starbucks cup, except it's a tesla key fob

Osv18
Jul 23, 2022

by vyelkin

MightyBigMinus posted:

exactly. evs are not useless. evs can take ~4-5Gt/yr off the emissions rate. calling that useless is fundamentally not understanding the problem and choosing a false-dichotomy drama that fits the catatonic/learned-helplessness vibe.

of course i will now get dunked on for a page by super cool posters going "oh so you think the hummer ev is good" and "oh so you want more people to die from traffic accidents" and a hundred other stupid concern trolls. "i guess i just think trains are better but you do you short king".

its all so insipid.

EVs aren't even rearranging deck chairs on the titanic, they're more like changing the dressing on the salad in the lunch bar on the titanic.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

quote:

Blue hydrogen has been estimated to have a carbon footprint 20% greater than burning gas or coal for heat and 60% greater when compared to burning diesel for heat, assuming US up- and mid-stream methane leakage rates and production via steam methane reformers (SMR) retrofitted with carbon dioxide capture.[91]

lmao i knew blue hydrogen was a marketing gimmick but holy gently caress 20% greater emissions than just burning the natural gas for heat

Osv18
Jul 23, 2022

by vyelkin

Mayor Dave posted:

the ultimate issue is that every single part of the solution to the problem is dependent on multiple other parts, like ev's can be great but unless they're paired with decreased demand for usage on roads, greening the electrical grid they run on, sourcing the components without destroying local environments, and so on and so on, their impact is going to be extremely limited

still, if the only policy we can get is 1:1 replacement of all ICE cars with EVs then I'll take it, extremely limited improvement is better than none at all

There is no solution, the last 2 centuries at least have been a horrendous mistake and must be erased.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

EVs are mostly bullshit, but bicycle friendly cities combined with ebikes are very good

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

MightyBigMinus posted:

GREAT ANOTHER loving ONE

no EVs will not crash the grid

jesus tapdancing christ

like how can you be this loving gullible to clickbait concern trolling in 2023

Say 'tap dancing Christ' or other marvelisms all you want, but maybe you could also provide some figures that would show we could replace enough ICE vehicles with EVs for it to move the CO2 ppm needle, while also staying within any plausible amount of grid capacity

I took a stab at it and I don't think we can

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Edit: woops double post

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

it doesn't matter if replacing every ICE vehicle with an EV would significantly move the needle because we can't do it anyway

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Stereotype posted:

hell yeah guys. biosphere SAVED

Jeb!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
in case anyone hasn't been paying attention, this is going to be a crazy rear end el nino year.

Spain hit 114f (ground) a few weeks ago and other european countries are hitting >100, SE asia is regularly popping over >100f temperatures in april/may. America is already having mass shootings multiple times a day and violence goes through the roof when it gets hot, even something mild like not having the right kind of deodorant can push americans to snap. SST is still really bad. It could be the worst summer that we've experienced to date.

and it's not even loving summer yet. so make sure your ACs are up to snuff, you've got wildfire filters and masks, beach supplies, and start stocking up on ice cream.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 09:21 on May 12, 2023

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Wheeee posted:

EVs are mostly bullshit, but bicycle friendly cities combined with ebikes are very good

this reads as if it is not just a continuation. bikes are good; cars are bad. it’s ecofacism to say this

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
if you post in this thread you are just better; more empirically correct and morally righteous than the majority of sentient beings. if "heaven" is your aim just through the virtue of reading and understanding this thread you are almost assured a place there. there's a star next to my name which is how you know what i'm saying is legit

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

lol the funny line on the graph turned upwards again *claps hands*

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the "end game boss" is convincing me that there is hope. if you fail i'm going to put you on probation.

most people will fail to even convince me that their argument has a possibility of instilling hope though. there's a whole thread dedicated to talking about how unapproachably insurmountably pessimistic we are here, and that's undeniably true only because empirically it is the reality.

we

are

hosed

try to convince me, "the moderator of this thread", otherwise. i hope i am wrong: but i'm not

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

real life mad max is going to spend three weeks charging his EV off a few old solar panels to get like 50km of range out of its heavily degraded battery

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i'm brainstorming a villain post, watch this space

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
there’s been a lot of bullshit and we need some content: specifically villain posts. let’s hear em!

here’s mine: “every single human is about to die.”. let’s hear what other people think though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

brakeless posted:

lol the funny line on the graph turned upwards again *claps hands*