Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

i'll finish Dragon Quest 2 on my phone before I touch the mainstream gamer's new hotness. 'tis my Gamer's Vow. and also every single backlog game on my Switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I also got Fuga 2 to do..... Gaming ftw

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

KingSlime posted:

OP I disagree with your simply incorrect thoughts on hollow knight but appreciate your effortpost on what the genre has to offer. I gotta check out half of those non CV games still

I felt an effort post was required or else the opinion would be treated as a poo poo post. I get why people "think" Hollow Knight is an interesting game. The art style is really well done and it kind of feels like a dark souls game pretending that it is something that tests the players skill. But if you pull back the artwork, its just a generic souls-clone that doesn't offer anything fun or unique and ultimately feels like a complete boring slog.

catgirlgenius posted:

i'm not seeing Momodora anything on that list. cute little games!

Sorry, I found them kinda...."meh".

quote:

also i feel like complaints about Hollow Knight trend chasing are assigning nefarious purposes to just like, normal and commonplace pitfalls of game design. games by and large, are just people thinking back to games they played and trying to come up with their own spin on that

I think that is fair. However Hollow Knight was far more blatant and, worse, missed the mark completely. For me, I'm just even more baffled that its highly regarded. Liked...sure, I get that. But rising to masterpiece level? Its like if someone said Chasm: the Rift was the best FPS ever made.

catgirlgenius posted:

i'll finish Dragon Quest 2 on my phone before I touch the mainstream gamer's new hotness. 'tis my Gamer's Vow. and also every single backlog game on my Switch

If you play 11, stop after the credits roll.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Nep-Nep posted:

If it's the fast phase in particular that's giving you trouble, if you're holding your sword out and it collides head on you'll generally get pushed back but not damaged, and even if you hit the edge, as long as your sword is out and you're holding in the opposite direction from a pit you won't fall, which can save you. Additionally, if the boss is charging at you in a completely straight line it's sometimes possible to dash through it and your sword will hit the tail on the other end.

Ok, cool. I’ll keep that all in mind, thanks!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I dunno I actually loved the environments in hollow knight and the fact that it's a super metroidvania - you always have different objectives and goals that you can approach in the order you prefer. My second playthrough I was just tearing across the map knocking out objectives and collectibles in very efficient ways and it was an absolute blast

As a dark souls fan I actually just really like hollow knight based on its own separate merits entirely. Huge map, BUGS, dark moody environments that is a very different somber tone than the one dark souls goes for. The soundtrack alone features a ton of tracks, some even upbeat and hopeful. And there's basically almost always music playing everywhere you go

Probably the only thing that they straight up a crib from dark souls is the lore themes and the ghost that pops up after you die. But I'd go as far as to see that there's really not that many similarities other than moody spooky kingdom

I didn't think it was an especially difficult game either as far as 2D games go anyways. Some of the end game stuff gets a bit hard yeah but most of the game is pretty breezy

E: I don't think the combat mechanics are similar at all (no stamina, a lot of arial movement and combat moves etc) other than learning patterns which is kind of a standard for video games. I love the refilling magic pool based on hitting enemies which you can spend on either offense or healing, maybe that's something that from soft should steal from them

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 12, 2023

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lol this host on the Livestream just asked Aonuma what games he's worked on.

Come on now

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
T-minus 00:30 :woop:

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Not a metroidvania but in the same style that I HIGHLY recommend:

MO:Astray - eshop link

Incredibly fun game that gets overlooked a lot.

KingSlime posted:

I dunno I actually loved the environments in hollow knight and the fact that it's a super metroidvania - you always have different objectives and goals that you can approach in the order you prefer. My second playthrough I was just tearing across the map knocking out objectives and collectibles in very efficient ways and it was an absolute blast

I couldn't imagine going through it a second time. A large number of areas are just so incredibly dull. Queen's Gardens and Greenpath especially.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 12, 2023

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The only thing that bugged me (HA!) about Hollow Knight is how heavy it lifts from Dark Souls' tone. It's not a "Souls-like", it's very much a metroidvania, it's got a couple of Souls mechanics in there, but not enough to classify it as such imo. The idea of a bug world feels cool and original...It's got a bunch of it's own ideas already. But then they go and name everything like it came from a Dark Souls random name generator and give all the NPCs dialog that sounds like Dark Souls and call the drat game Hollow Knight. Like, I was playing this game that was barely even like Dark Souls but still thinking "geez you are laying it on a little thick with the Dark Souls wannabe poo poo"

It's still a great game but I think they could have gotten a little more creative with the personality of it.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I feel like saying any castlevania or metroid game would be cheating, but without question I will say I would recommend any Castlevania game on the PSX, GBA, and DS over Hollow Knight without hesitation. I have replayed each of them without issue. Metroid I think the only games I wouldn't recommend over Hollow Knight are the first two just due to their age.
Heroic post

Also Metroid Prime is the best Search Action Game. Also shout out to Circle of the Moon for being loving awesome when I thought it'd suck

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

in line for my first midnight launch since thr wii came out

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Not a metroidvania but in the same style that I HIGHLY recommend:

MO:Astray - eshop linkI couldn't imagine going through it a second time. A large number of areas are just so incredibly dull. Queen's Gardens especially.

It actually reinforced the fact that it's really a fantastic game even more. I rarely replay games because zzzzz and the open nature of choosing a different route varied up the experience a ton! I was so hooked I got all the charms this time around

The beginning is a bit slow I'll give you that

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

But then they go and name everything like it came from a Dark Souls random name generator and give all the NPCs dialog that sounds like Dark Souls and call the drat game Hollow Knight. Like, I was playing this game that was barely even like Dark Souls but still thinking "geez you are laying it on a little thick with the Dark Souls wannabe poo poo"

gently caress...this is bringing it all back. I think...I think I genuinely hate the game. I rolled my eyes and groaned every time I spoke to another character in the game. Just the most generic dialogue.

beer gas canister posted:

Heroic post

Also Metroid Prime is the best Search Action Game. Also shout out to Circle of the Moon for being loving awesome when I thought it'd suck

Circle of the Moon was my first introduction to the genre when it was released. I had been hooked ever since. Its still a good game by today's standards (but only after you get the ability to dash).

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 12, 2023

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yep I remember playing cotm thinking holy poo poo they make 2d sidescroller RPGs?! Why the gently caress hasn't anyone thought about this before??

Anyways totk purchased and downloading, server seems stable, v cool v legal

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
T-00:10

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

One minute left. Let's go!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Last time I did a midnight game was Smash, and it took ten minutes to work.

AND I'M IN SEE YA SUCKAS

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ironically, my collector's edition JUST arrived at the same time.

Steelbook and Pins

Artbook.

This is a proper thick hardcover job.

And the "Poster" is something a little unexpected. I was expecting something A3-sized, folded up and tossed in. Instead...

It's a painted metal plate with a set of magnets to mount to your wall. It's interesting at least, and a step up in quality from your regular poster.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

gently caress...this is bringing it all back. I think...I think I genuinely hate the game. I rolled my eyes and groaned every time I spoke to another character in the game. Just the most generic dialogue.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
[bravely] i am completely miserable. and i have AIDS.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ironically, my collector's edition JUST arrived at the same time.

Steelbook and Pins

Artbook.

This is a proper thick hardcover job.

And the "Poster" is something a little unexpected. I was expecting something A3-sized, folded up and tossed in. Instead...

It's a painted metal plate with a set of magnets to mount to your wall. It's interesting at least, and a step up in quality from your regular poster.

That kicks rear end!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Big list o' Metroidvanias

I didn't see Guacamelee 1 on your list, what's your thoughts on that one? I know people (rightfully) rolled their eyes at the meme/reference humor, but I believe it was limited to just ads/posters in one area of the game, and DAMMIT the music and the artwork was so good. :kiddo:

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

ChocNitty posted:

All the top 100 metacritic scored games I believe belong there and I agree with the scoring, but Disco Elisium is the only game that mystifies me.

What the hell is this

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Best Buy is Cool, and Good

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Mega64 posted:

Wait to do that next month so you can join the rest of us for the Four Job Fiesta.

I have the Switch version so I can get in on the Four Job Fiesta. Never played 5 or hit up the Fiesta. I got it during a sale, and didn't get the Tears of the Kingdom. I hope people really like it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Nep-Nep posted:

If it's the fast phase in particular that's giving you trouble, if you're holding your sword out and it collides head on you'll generally get pushed back but not damaged, and even if you hit the edge, as long as your sword is out and you're holding in the opposite direction from a pit you won't fall, which can save you. Additionally, if the boss is charging at you in a completely straight line it's sometimes possible to dash through it and your sword will hit the tail on the other end.
I found it easier to do the exact opposite, hold my sword in the opposite direction from where Moldorm is and spin whenever its tail gets near you. If you eat a hit you've taken half a heart of damage and get knocked back slightly, and if you hit the body with your sword you get launched a million miles away and are probably going to fall.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

so much fail in this thread on totk day of all days.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

folks, they did it again

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

ChocNitty posted:

All the top 100 metacritic scored games I believe belong there and I agree with the scoring, but Disco Elisium is the only game that mystifies me.

The pacing felt horribly slow to me. Minor NPC's can talk to you for 20 minutes, and you do all the dialogue choices with them because you don't want to miss something important. I thought the writing was pretentious and the voice acting often irritating. The performance is poor for a 2D game. There are too many loading screens. The game's pathing is broken. Trying to walk around certain areas feels like a janky late 80's point and click adventure game. It doesn't matter if it has a good art style or story if it doesn't have a fun, compelling, or satisfying gameplay hook. The games that deserve to be at the top of the list are the ones that check both boxes. Witcher 3, Bioshock, RDR 2, Mass Effect. Even the South Park games had enjoyable gameplay. In my unpopular opinion, Disco Elysium is overrated af. Sorry for the derail. But I did play the switch version of the game.

About TOTK, i'm hoping they made a completely new score, that's as beautiful and sublime as botw's score. Nintendo knows the score is the secret weapon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqyLJ-fWbSI

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
people dropping some real dogshit opinions on a day nobody will be looking at the thread because theyre playing zelda....smart play

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Stux posted:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Stux posted:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Okay hold up if this is a direct sequel to BotW

how do the koroks not know Link can see them? the thing opens with him having max hearts, stamina, and the master sword. Don't you follow a korok just to get to the master sword or is my memory real bad?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Len posted:

Okay hold up if this is a direct sequel to BotW

how do the koroks not know Link can see them? the thing opens with him having max hearts, stamina, and the master sword. Don't you follow a korok just to get to the master sword or is my memory real bad?

Those things have about one brain cell, also you look different then the previous game

eravulgaris
Jul 7, 2012

Bought Tears of the Kingdom with the hope that this time, after God of War and Horizon it won’t feel like “more of the same”. The games weren’t bad, but they just didn’t do it for me like the first ones did. Reviews were glowing for those as well. It’s only after a while that it became clear that they weren’t as revolutionary.

Third time’s hopefully the charm.

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

It’s good

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Plode of Snore and Bore-izon are AAA Trash, TOTK is good

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

some real fail rear end opinions on some good games in here lol good thing an incredible game just released, can’t wait to hear some geniuses call TOTK bad too, it’ll be a greatly tedious read

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
robot threw a barrel at me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

The game is very good