Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Someone go buy this, fix it up and sell it to me for $20k.

https://www.rpmmotorcars.com/used/sherman-oaks-2000-bmw-m5-wbsde9341ybz94172

mmmmm Oxford Green over Caramel. Props for putting some effort into the listing.

https://www.zoomautousa.com/inventory/2002-bmw-m5-e39-6-speed-collectible/464565

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It's a very early build date, I'd probably stay away.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

It sucks that I feel all the cool BMWs I would actually want to keep have already bottomed out on the value curve and any remotely decent example is just too much money.

I should have figured out scraping enough together for an E39/46/90 a couple years ago when there were still deals to be found.

That green over tan one is gorgeous and I love it

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah. I got the black on black because the AC failed on the burgundy 328 during the hottest week in PA. I didn't have a huge selection of stick shift cars. And there's still not a huge selection, even new, so I'm planning on keeping it unless I win the car club raffle.

Even new the color selection is bad unless the car is the cheapest or most expensive. 😐 Don't make me wrap a new M3 just to have a fun color.

I guess blue is fun, but I really wanted more red.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I saw a FB post where a local dealer was selling a G80 M3 in Toronto red for MSRP and all the posts were basically "lol good luck selling a red car for MSRP, should have ordered a black or grey car if you wanted to get MSRP" or "I'd buy that right now if it was black or grey".

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Color choices are better now, but X5 40 2023 colors were basically 2 whites, 3 blacks, a babypoop gray/green and photon dick blue so the choice was easy.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
That's not babypoop green???

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Awful brave of BMW to let other models have the exclusive M4 green paint

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

Hitting 100k miles in an E92 M3 is really just like hitting 40 as an adult, drat. Just one thing failing right after another

So far I've replaced: throttle actuators, water pump + various seals, oil/power steering/transmission coolers and radiator (oil cooler was badly bent but not leaking, radiator beat up, the other two were upgrades), underdrive pulley + belts, front undertray, couple underbody trim bits, prob some other things I'm not remembering.

100kms after finally buttoning all of that back up - the belt tensioners are probably cooked (power steering belt slipping), one or more wheel speed sensors could be faulty, and one of the throttle actuators is failing AGAIN christ

I replaced the factory actuators with Evolve Automotive uprated units so that this failure would be less likely to happen in the future (plus they come with lifetime warranty), so it's a real pain to have to pull them out again so soon and send them back over to the UK so they can be replaced.

Bjork Bjowlob fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 10, 2023

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Sometimes I still dream about the sound of the V8 i test drove and how amazing it sounded and how I felt alive and great and then this thread brings me back to reality.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I mean that's also just 11-16 years old / 100k mile BMW things. It just costs more on M

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Buying a p car has cured me of all performance-related brain worms on the e91 and now I just flog it and maintain it. Currently getting ready for summer road trips.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
After a month and a half of driving I'm finding that the full EV mode is actually a lot of fun in the city. You wouldn't think 113hp on a 5000+lb truck would be, but the instant torque makes it very agile when you just floor it everywhere.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

Sometimes I still dream about the sound of the V8 i test drove and how amazing it sounded and how I felt alive and great and then this thread brings me back to reality.

I've spent more at the mechanics in one go on my wife's 2002 Altima than I have ever on my 15 year old M3, OP

(Yearly cost for routine maintenance is definitely higher, but my M3 guy is hilariously expensive per hour however he's insanely thorough and knows everything about the cars.)

and of course mine has a third of those miles.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I have a spreadsheet of parts/maintenance for my e46 M3 since I bought it in 2017 with 62k miles. It's currently at ~85k miles and it's cost me $9130 to maintain.

Granted some of that was upfront cost to do the sub frame reinforcement and swapping all the fluids. I also recently replaced the CSL replica wheels after one cracked with some Apex instead. I try to do my own maintenance as feasible but some things are just better left to a professional shop and I luckily live ~2 miles away from a BMW only indie shop that I really like.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
So far I've spent like $2500 on my E39 and I still need to do the suspension and A/C and probably Vanos futher down the road.

But then again it was $2200 to start with and it's probably my favorite car I've had so far.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The way I look at it is I was paying $350 to the bank every month for a Focus RS and spending 4 figures in repairs. OR I could buy an old BMW,spend 4 figures in repairs and cut out the payment to the bank (+ way cheaper insurance & consumables).

Still absolutely loving this color btw, even in overcast weather / darker lighting it's still a nice, rich green.

And then on sunny days you can really see the yellow/gold in it.

Some dude walking across the street shouted "nice color" as I was driving by the other day, and someone at the gym [in a C8] also complimented it -- made my day :kimchi:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Man you are making me want an e90 so much. Love the colour and the wheels. But yeah I'm thinking the same. I don't drive much so I'd rather have a car that I can just put on hold any time and pay $0 a month instead of having a leasing car that cost me $650 just to sit. Also I really enjoy working on the E39, and the sound is just glorious.

I went to see E39s in much worse shape than mine that cost more than double what mine was, that still would need all the stuff I'm doing done to it so this probably ain't so bad. I'm up for the maintenance costs (so far).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What green is that

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It's a wrap; Hexis Sonoma Green Metallic Gloss is the name.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm at around $8k in maintenance and tires in the 4 years I've had my F80. I've done most of the big things myself, you could probably add a couple grand at minimum in shop labor to that.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Sab669 posted:

Still absolutely loving this color btw, even in overcast weather / darker lighting it's still a nice, rich green.

And then on sunny days you can really see the yellow/gold in it.

Some dude walking across the street shouted "nice color" as I was driving by the other day, and someone at the gym [in a C8] also complimented it -- made my day :kimchi:

I used to paint all my cars in Forza green with bronze rims, such a great combination.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Blue BMW supremacy

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Can anyone speak to this strut/spring combo? Looks like it might be the only option for reducing roll in my E46 325xiT: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-338753-e46-325xi-wagon-hrbilstein-sport-suspension-package/?pdk=AQ

Can't find any sway bars that work with the AWD/wagon factors.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

Yeah even though it's hurting my wallet currently I wouldn't want to trade in the e92 for anything else really, except maybe a 997.2 GT3 but I'd have to win the lotto for one of those. It absolutely helps that I do most of the work myself, saves a chunk on labour and I can swear at the car for stress release.

Since I have to put the M3 up on stands and dig into it anyway - are there any major 100k mile items that should be addressed? Spark plugs, injectors, misc sensors, etc?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Rod bearings

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Plugs and check all the coolant hoses for deterioration/age, and definitely find some place to just do the rod bearings.

Ugh, VAC suggested I book the N55 for rod bearings. Sigh.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Sounds like the whole car just needs to go

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
well not that they're actively worn or bad, just that they see N55 with rod bearing problems. I'm going to send samples off to blackstone on both cars and see what we find out. I had the oil filter housing gasket replaced under CPO, and the shop directions have them prime the pump after doing so, which a lot of the DIY instructions don't seem to include. Apparently that increases the risk? It all seems pretty vague.

I just wasn't expecting N series engines to need something like rod bearings. Can't wait to see what the B58 foibles are.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
https://glenshelly.com/sales/2001-bmw-m5-3 :catstare: :fap:

this will go for $150k lol

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 12, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

How about this?

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3qW7aRWA/1995-bmw-m5-touring

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I watched an Australian show awhile back, The Newsreader. In it, Anna Torv owns this e30. It's kinda been in my head since I watched the show. Now I'm thinking about trying to buy something similar next year.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

Fortunately one of the previous owners replaced them already with evidence in ther service records - although I hear that they can fail again after a certain amount of time. I've been taking oil samples every change but I haven't gotten off my rear end and sent them to be analysed yet, so that's next on the list.

Alarbus posted:

Plugs and check all the coolant hoses for deterioration/age, and definitely find some place to just do the rod bearings.

I've replaced all the coolant hoses in the front, the only ones I haven't are the ones running behind the engine - I screwed up reading the parts diagrams and ordered the hoses for a DCT model whereas mine's a manual and doesn't have the heat exchanger at the back. I'll order fresh plugs - is there any need to gap them down before installing? Something I always had to do on previous (albeit turbo) cars.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

phosdex posted:

I watched an Australian show awhile back, The Newsreader. In it, Anna Torv owns this e30. It's kinda been in my head since I watched the show. Now I'm thinking about trying to buy something similar next year.

Good luck I hope you are made out of money.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I imagine less than the techno violet with 50k kms one that sold on bat last year for like $60k

Also man I really really want an S65 in my life. But also I want it in an E82 and/or E91 because I have brain damage.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

this is loving gorgeous

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Bjork Bjowlob posted:

Fortunately one of the previous owners replaced them already with evidence in ther service records - although I hear that they can fail again after a certain amount of time. I've been taking oil samples every change but I haven't gotten off my rear end and sent them to be analysed yet, so that's next on the list.

I've replaced all the coolant hoses in the front, the only ones I haven't are the ones running behind the engine - I screwed up reading the parts diagrams and ordered the hoses for a DCT model whereas mine's a manual and doesn't have the heat exchanger at the back. I'll order fresh plugs - is there any need to gap them down before installing? Something I always had to do on previous (albeit turbo) cars.

as long as you're sampling oil you will be fine. they don't fail catastrophically

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Finally drove the E39 for the first time in months. Dead battery but that was easily solved. God drat this car rules.

Clear coat is peeling in a couple of places so it’s probably time for some paintwork.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Sab669 posted:

How about this?

E34 wagons are so drat good looking. I was thinking of getting one, but I think it's too much of a stretch to use a 30 year old BMW as a daily. I got away with the E39 (my wife really likes it, and she's very much not into daily driving older cars), so I'm not going to push my luck. The "window only" part of the tailgate was/is genious and I use it all the time. It's also amazing when you have a dog and just pop that part open for fresh air or for petting.

Speaking of E39's. I'm both looking forward to and dreading going in for a closer look at the jack point rust that I found. It seems like a pretty simple repair if it hasn't spread a ton, and based on the first look I think it's mostly the inside part of the bottom sill as well as the inner vertical bit (famous last words). I'll probably end up getting a replacement panel and use whatever I need from it. They are pretty cheap (unless you go for BMW parts that cost thousands lol).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Concerning!