Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

RadiRoot posted:

8x15” plot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg5Ovdu6bOE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I really love all the new construction they're building where I live. I'm sure it's the same everywhere but lol at "luxury building with affordable units!!!".

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

WaryWarren posted:

I really love all the new construction they're building where I live. I'm sure it's the same everywhere but lol at "luxury building with affordable units!!!".

Sorry we are out of the poor people units. We only have availability for high income earners.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

there's a giant new condo building in brooklyn that has "affordable" housing

https://hellgatenyc.com/the-affordable-apartments-brooklyn-tower-sinister-stalagmite-expensive

those are the income bands

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

there's a giant new condo building in brooklyn that has "affordable" housing

https://hellgatenyc.com/the-affordable-apartments-brooklyn-tower-sinister-stalagmite-expensive

those are the income bands

the normal studio rent is more than my mortgage for a 2 bedroom in park slope, I’ve only lived here for 3 years lol

rates go up, prices go up, market go up?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Those rents are going to be higher than most mortgages in most places for any kind of reasonable house bought before, I dunno, late 2020. Not so much now, which is very funny.

But it's also NYC so those really are "affordable" rents.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

they are, but only for people making those salaries, which is top 30%

the point is they chose to make their "affordable" units only affordable to well-off people

e: that 130% is 130% of local median income

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Affordable units in NYC are only for rich people from non-rich non-NYC backgrounds who can't wrap their head around spending 2/3rds their exorbitant salary on a shoebox

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

They were never going to be happy with just ruining the cities.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

"Property does need work it was struck by lightening."

:chanpop:

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Crusty Nutsack posted:

love it or list it???

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Crusty Nutsack posted:

nothing some spackle and some stainless steel appliances can't fix

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

They were never going to be happy with just ruining the cities.

I wonder if economic terrorists are going to become a thing in the US

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
So our landlord has been listing apartments like ours for $500 less than the renewal they sent us. When I confronted the management office about it, they just shrugged and said the computer makes the decisions and their hands are tied.

Meanwhile almost half of the complex has moved out over the past month. Looking out my window right now I see two Uhauls being loaded.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

RadiRoot posted:

my boomer dad is sad because he couldn’t buy a 8x15” plot of land for $20000 in time and now has to deal with someone that wants to use it as a boat launch and they’re suing each other because he claims the property is land locked and access to the water is trespassing by a couple feet. gently caress property owners. he wonders why I barely talk to him.

easy solution here that doesnt involve setting foot outside the plot and that guy can still call it a "boat launch"

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Nothus posted:

So When I confronted the management office about it, they just shrugged and said the computer makes the decisions and their hands are tied.

bunch of the big property managers they took away any ability for the local person to deviate from the algorithm.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Bar Ran Dun posted:

bunch of the big property managers they took away any ability for the local person to deviate from the algorithm.

My favorite story about a property manager came from a property owner. The manager lowered rent for all of the properties he managed for close to a full year before quitting and the owner only noticed when they went to do their taxes and the income was way down. Using a computer makes sure things like that don’t happen and it probably makes life easier for the managers. They can just shrug and say they have no power over it anymore so they don’t have to spend time negotiating.

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

Bar Ran Dun posted:

using a central algorithm to jackup rent across all commercial landlords isn’t an illegal price fixing cabal because the computer told us what to do

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

pagan worship ritual from a 70s horror movie but it’s boomer landlords prostrating before an algorithm

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

street doc posted:

using a central algorithm to jackup rent across all commercial landlords isn’t an illegal price fixing cabal because the computer told us what to do

we need to start treating it as a cartel. especially as the objective function is likely written to produce that outcome.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Failson posted:

McMansion ALL the things houses!

quote:

The McMansion has also endured because, in the wake of the recession, the United States declined the opportunity to meaningfully transform the financial system on which our way of life is based. The breach was patched with taxpayer money, the system was restored, and we resumed our previous trajectory. The McMansion survived what could have been an existential crisis; it remains an unimpeachable symbol of having “made it” in a world where advancement is still measured in ostentation. It is a one-stop shop of wealth signifiers: modernist décor (rich people like modernism now), marble countertops (banks have marble), towering foyers (banks also have foyers), massive scale (everything I see is splendor). Owing to its distance from all forms of communal space, the McMansion must also become the site of sociality. It can’t just be a house; it has to be a ballroom, a movie theater, a bar.

It is a testament, too, to a Reagan-era promise of endless growth, endless consumption, and endless easy living that we’ve been loath to disavow. The McMansion owner is unbothered by the cost of heating and cooling a four-thousand-square-foot mausoleum with fifteen-foot ceilings. They see no problem being dependent—from the cheap material choice of the house to the driving requirements of suburban life—on oil in all its forms, be it in extruded polystyrene columns or gas at the pump. The McMansion is American bourgeois life in all its improvidence.
https://thebaffler.com/outbursts/bad-manors-wagner

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Nothus posted:

So our landlord has been listing apartments like ours for $500 less than the renewal they sent us. When I confronted the management office about it, they just shrugged and said the computer makes the decisions and their hands are tied.

Meanwhile almost half of the complex has moved out over the past month. Looking out my window right now I see two Uhauls being loaded.

If we are going to have central price controls we should set the prices democratically.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

street doc posted:

MickeyFinn posted:

If we are going to have central price controls we should set the prices democratically.

reagan no: project cybersyn
reagan yes: skynet

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Nothus posted:

that is absolutely bizarre business behavior.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Ammanas posted:

that is absolutely bizarre business behavior.

Super normal, a friend of mine got significant rent cuts two years in a row by moving units within the apartment to identical, or even nicer, units. The computer set the prices, the computer massively rewarded him for pushing his poo poo across the hallway into a new unit.

The building had to spend a lot more money to clean and turn units instead of keeping him in the same place for three years.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

It actually suits the landlord cartel to behave as inhumanly and inexplicably as possible since that intensifies and normalizes the sense of learned helplessness on the part of the tenants. If their actions are inexplicable and random, they will be conceptualized as an inexplicable force in their tenants' lives. If they are conceptualized as an inexplicable force, then no action can be made to oppose them since opposition requires some conceptualization of the opponent as explicable. If, in the minds of tenants, landlords as a greedy, exploitative group of people are replaced with a dehumanized, faceless, random force, what is there to oppose?

I pushed my stuff across the hall and got $500 off my rent last year. Who knows why. I got an eviction notice. No reason, nothing to do about it except pack up before the cops force me out. I can't find a new place to live. Shikata ga nai.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

nvm

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Bar Ran Dun posted:

we need to start treating it as a cartel. especially as the objective function is likely written to produce that outcome.

some poeople is treating it that way https://www.propublica.org/article/realpage-accused-of-collusion-in-new-lawsuit

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Justin Tyme posted:

easy solution here that doesnt involve setting foot outside the plot and that guy can still call it a "boat launch"

how, magic?

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
a house i was interested in sold for 50,000 over asking price so thats cool. barely anything on market lately, back to renting i guess.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

print(rent+500);

wow look the computer told us to raise rent

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

RadiRoot posted:

a house i was interested in sold for 50,000 over asking price so thats cool. barely anything on market lately, back to renting i guess.

yea none of the 'higher interest rates will cool the market' predictions came true, now everything is just as or more expensive in different and fun ways

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

people aren't waffling on price yet since there's no real economic crash atm causing people to need to pick up and leave or sell their houses for liquidity. however, sales are the lowest they've been in a decade

if the fed nails this "soft landing" we may not see much of a decline in prices at all since we'd be avoiding job losses and panic, but also there's a fairly high price floor set by blackrock et al that didn't quite exist yet in 2008

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Ammanas posted:

yea none of the 'higher interest rates will cool the market' predictions came true, now everything is just as or more expensive in different and fun ways

Those predictions never made sense even from a dumb market forces perspective. The number of people who need to sell because of financial circumstances, divorces, career moves, whatever is going to be relatively constant, but the number of people who are willing to sell is just going to go down with higher rates. No one who doesn't have to is going to double their mortgage for an equivalent house, it makes no sense.

A good rule of thumb for the housing market is that if you aren't seriously worried about losing your job, then the economy probably isn't bad enough for prices to come down yet.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yesterday i interviewed for a project manager position with a tech company that would pay three times what i currently make but my current job is 100% recession-proof and i'm terrified at going back into the private sector even for $$$

with that job i'd be able to save for a down payment in like 10 months but lol at touching that stove again

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

smells like money…that’s been pissed on

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
what recession?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

i say swears online posted:

people aren't waffling on price yet since there's no real economic crash atm causing people to need to pick up and leave or sell their houses for liquidity. however, sales are the lowest they've been in a decade

The hypothesizing I've seen (don't recall if I found it on these forums or elsewhere) is that there are a lot of people who would normally be adding supply to the market by moving up to a new home who are stuck where they are due to lack of equity + higher interest rates. So inventory is in the shitter and prices aren't moving as a result. It's a complicated set of gears and all it takes is a matchstick stuck between one set of cogs to break the entire machine.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

extremely anecdotally, in my neighborhood there are virtually no 1 bedroom residences available for sale, and many 2 and, amazingly, 3 bedroom units.

when my wife and i were in the market 3-5 years ago, it was the exact opposite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The hypothesizing I've seen (don't recall if I found it on these forums or elsewhere) is that there are a lot of people who would normally be adding supply to the market by moving up to a new home who are stuck where they are due to lack of equity + higher interest rates. So inventory is in the shitter and prices aren't moving as a result. It's a complicated set of gears and all it takes is a matchstick stuck between one set of cogs to break the entire machine.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/901-Garison-Rd-Buda-TX-78610/28584106_zpid/

prices coming down!!!