Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A party brawler, coming next month for Q2/Pico/PC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WUNyPDVsPg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeisureSuit Canary
Dec 27, 2012

Professor Wayne posted:

My favorite VR games have also been flatscreen to VR mods. Native VR games can be experimental and cool, even if they're often half baked. But playing RE2 and Outer Wilds in VR was an unforgettable experience for me.

I just finished my RE 2 Leon playthrough. It was so good. That dude with the hat had me watching my rear end constantly. Also the loving rush i'd get from creeping along a hallway and hearing a licker start chasing me. Just really good overall.

I only had one bug. The issue was using a mod that would remove Leon's body and would only leave his hands. This one didn't work on my setup and left him fully invisible which caused cutscenes to not activate. No issues once I uninstalled that mod.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

LeisureSuit Canary posted:

I just finished my RE 2 Leon playthrough. It was so good. That dude with the hat had me watching my rear end constantly. Also the loving rush i'd get from creeping along a hallway and hearing a licker start chasing me. Just really good overall.

I only had one bug. The issue was using a mod that would remove Leon's body and would only leave his hands. This one didn't work on my setup and left him fully invisible which caused cutscenes to not activate. No issues once I uninstalled that mod.

The only way I could play RE7 in VR was if I streamed to my brother and friend who would antagonize me into pressing forward. I cannot even imagine how scary Mr X would be.

LeisureSuit Canary
Dec 27, 2012

Beastie posted:

The only way I could play RE7 in VR was if I streamed to my brother and friend who would antagonize me into pressing forward. I cannot even imagine how scary Mr X would be.

Yeah I was definitely losing it at some points. Just knowing he was out there took away my sense of security in save rooms and stuff. I'd see a room with a loop like the freezer and just expect to get jumped.

Are any of the native quest 2 horror games worthwhile or are flat screen and pc games my best bet?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Beastie posted:

In Scenario B you get chased down a corridor by him but you have Sherry with you and can't quite outrun him, so at some point you have to turn around and face him down.

I screamed super loud on discord at one point when he bursts through a wall and grabs you, it was scary as hell.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Yeah I was definitely losing it at some points. Just knowing he was out there took away my sense of security in save rooms and stuff. I'd see a room with a loop like the freezer and just expect to get jumped.

Are any of the native quest 2 horror games worthwhile or are flat screen and pc games my best bet?

Imagine this in VR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgdKf5n4ELI

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Cosmodread is an interesting title, but imo somewhat flawed. Actually, I'm surprised at the lack of good horror title in the native library.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Tell me about these meta pro controllers. I have a quest 2 already. Worth the upgrade?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

c355n4 posted:

Tell me about these meta pro controllers. I have a quest 2 already. Worth the upgrade?

They're very good, but they're about $150 per controller. No rings to knock against each other, and they last about 6-8 hours per charge. The tracking on them is at least as good as the tracking on index knuckles, but they have the side problem of not having capacitive touch capabilities on the grips, so no individual finger articulation in games, sadly. Much lighter than knuckles though due to their more compact setup

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Gonna play some Walkabout Mini Golf online, and hopefully play with the PSVR 2 players. I'm envious of them. The wider FOV surely makes a difference when lining up a long shot.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

KodiakRS posted:

Oh hey that's me! %80 of my time in VR has been playing beat saber and the og vive does that just fine.

Recently though I've had the urge to get a newer headset, mostly for driving and flying sims, but also to try some of the other games that have come out in the past 3-4 years. The PC VR headset market seems to be in a pretty bad spot though. From what I can tell most PC specific headsets are either janky, ridiculously expensive, have some sort of major flaw, or in the case of the index getting kind of old. Everything else is being marketed as a more casual experience, or is part of whatever kind of cyberhell the metaverse is. A this point I think I'll just wait and hope the Deckard comes out sometime soon.

I... kind of miss my OG Rift. The OG Rift controllers are still best in class, and I loved messing around with all the dumb items in the oculus home thing. A shame they threw all that away, having a bunch of people's interlinked homes VRChat style was cool.

chird
Sep 26, 2004

Zenith: The Last City had a big update and was 40% off on Quest/Rift (probably expired now) but I never hear much chatter about it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.uploadvr.com/samsung-android-headset-later-this-year-google/ maybe competition for Meta?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Riatsala posted:

This is an extremely good idea. Most of the strategy/management games I've played in VR have frankly been an ergonomic disaster because they force you to stare at the ground with a weight on your face.

I think that's going to be a design hurdle for this sort of game. The typical rts top down perspective makes less sense in a VR space. Either you put it on the ground and risk making your game uncomfortable to play or you cheat the perspective and in the VR space it looks like your units are walking up and down a wall like insects. I guess shrinking things down to board game scale is an option, too, but I haven't seen many games take that route.

Just make it so you can grab, move, rotate, and zoom/shrink the entire play area however you want. I think the easiest metaphor for Civ games and other grand strategy games is a living room-sized globe that you can grab and rotate around, but for other stuff there's no reason to actually limit the user to interacting with a 'board' in a single preset location.

Gods of Gravity does something like this, where you have "jump to point" and "grab and pull" controls and you're in the middle of the space playing field (including being able to see the other player and know what they're paying attention to) instead of looking down or over at things from a distance. It's missing scaling, but that's more of an intentional balance aspect since matches can be very quick (on the order of minutes) and they don't want a zoomed-out view to be the only optimal option.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

ChocNitty posted:

Gonna play some Walkabout Mini Golf online, and hopefully play with the PSVR 2 players. I'm envious of them. The wider FOV surely makes a difference when lining up a long shot.

No game makes me curse the limited FOV of VR more than Walkabout. I want to look with my eyes, not my head!

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

chird posted:

Zenith: The Last City had a big update and was 40% off on Quest/Rift (probably expired now) but I never hear much chatter about it.

Its alright? It does what it says. Cookie g being the only true crafting is a bit odd.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
ok i need some troubleshooting help. ended up setting my laptop up for vr with my link over both air and cable and am running into the same issue. sometimes everything runs like a dream sometimes i get endless tearing and slowdowns

checked heat and it doesnt seem to be a difference. think its cpu, memory, or somethint else. anyone have any hints? weird thing is, it runs perfectly smoothly on the little window showing in the laptop display

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
https://twitter.com/PalmerLuckey/status/1657828947877560323?s=20
Hmmm

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Pfft I bet it doesn’t even have high explosives in.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

njsykora posted:

If it doesn't literally kill me why would I be interested?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I hope Apple sneaks some explosives into Palmers headset, as a little treat.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

I haven't owned an Apple product since the original iPod but I really hope they nail this. More importantly, I hope it brings the devs to the platform and we see an explosion of content.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

More importantly, I hope it brings the devs to the platform and we see an explosion of content.
:madmax:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

njsykora posted:

I wouldn't be so sure; It's got a lithium battery in it, and Apple's had explosive issues with batteries before...

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Wasn’t that Samsung?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Bugblatter posted:

Wasn’t that Samsung?

Samsung, Apple, Sony

Everyone has had a taste of the ol spicy pouch

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Bugblatter posted:

Wasn’t that Samsung?

Literally five seconds of googling will find you battery explosion and fire reports and recalls for Apple. Samsung has had this problem too, but they're not currently in the process of releasing a new VR headset, so they seem irrelevant to the topic at hand.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

pun pundit posted:

Literally five seconds of googling will find you battery explosion and fire reports and recalls for Apple. Samsung has had this problem too, but they're not currently in the process of releasing a new VR headset, so they seem irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Samsung has announced a new headset, Apple not so much

https://www.roadtovr.com/samsung-google-qualcomm-xr-headset/

this took five seconds of googling

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

KakerMix posted:

Samsung, Apple, Sony

Everyone has had a taste of the ol spicy pouch

Apple is worse than the others with bloating batteries and self-immolating AC adapters in my decades-long professional computer-toucher experience, but they have some kinda lawyer army working overtime to Memory Hole each incident. A Reality Distortion Field if you will, though Memory Hole works too since they've used Orwell in their marketing before.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Ah, I guess I only remember Samsung as being the really huge incident, maybe due to living in South Korea.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Bugblatter posted:

Ah, I guess I only remember Samsung as being the really huge incident, maybe due to living in South Korea.

Because its happened to multiple samsung phones. Samsung batteries bloating in the mobile world didn't start with smart phones. They had plenty of mms devices that had battery issues. Hell, that one super popular cheap slider normal rear end phone had issues with bloat.

They use crappy cheap rear end batteries, or used to at least.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

By sheer chance, on the same day, tomorrow will be released not one but two Lemmins-like games with VR implementation in PC

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1581480/Humanity/
Humanity is getting 8s to 9s in reviews today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03Azl_IqPRc
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1831700/Tin_Hearts/

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

It feels like I first saw Tin Hearts in 2017 or something, or am I thinking of another lemming-like?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

forest spirit posted:

It feels like I first saw Tin Hearts in 2017 or something, or am I thinking of another lemming-like?

It has been several years in development, yes.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is it possible to charge the Quest 2 while playing so it remains powered indefinitely, and if so what amount of power do I need? My only high speed charging cables are super short, so I can't really test how they perform.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Oh okay RE4 works fine now they just had to do an 8 gig patch? I also got a computer that can run VR finally up and having it be wireless with decent internet is amazing. I am fine with this thing until a Deckard or affordable Quest 3 happens, I don’t see how anyone can do wired.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Is it possible to charge the Quest 2 while playing so it remains powered indefinitely, and if so what amount of power do I need? My only high speed charging cables are super short, so I can't really test how they perform.

In my experience I've only been able to get it to either stay the same percentage or very slowly discharge while plugged in. I never really tried too many options though, just usually plugged into an anker power brick in my pocket if I need it.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I think it's around 18-22W.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

You need PD(power delivery) on either a power bank or a wall charger.

Without PD it more or less maintains its state of charge, but can go up or down depending on what it's doing.

I think all USB C cables are rated for PD? NOT 100% there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Can anyone ID these headsets?