Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it literally was tacked on, Kingdom's Edge has a few places in it which are just remnants of cut content. i think one of the updates (Lifeblood?) added some stuff to it like unique props and a boss to make it more interesting

Yeah, that was the update that added Hive Knight. I think they even respawned Vespa if you'd already dreamnailed her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The hive felt like an easter egg more than anything. It felt funny that they'd snuck a little zone in there.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I liked the bee nest. It had a very different feel to the rest of the game, and it was more alive than anything else in Hallownest, except maybe for Deepnest but we don't talk about Deepnest :ohdear: and was a nice contrast. It was another civilization living there, and of course we have to murder everyone because that is the game, but oh well!

That said, gently caress those huge bees who came at you with the drill attack, I hate them and I am glad they are dead.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I didn't even know about the beehive until my third playthrough when I went full spoiler mode.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Rappaport posted:

I liked the bee nest. It had a very different feel to the rest of the game, and it was more alive than anything else in Hallownest, except maybe for Deepnest but we don't talk about Deepnest :ohdear: and was a nice contrast. It was another civilization living there, and of course we have to murder everyone because that is the game, but oh well!

That said, gently caress those huge bees who came at you with the drill attack, I hate them and I am glad they are dead.

They were infected. See the orange blood that comes out of them when you attack them.

The mantis bugs are the only non important character that isn't infected, which you can tell because they flash white, not orange when you hit them. Not so coincidentally, they are also the only bugs that have a non hostile state toward you.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I don't see how we really disagree, but I'm all up for some more Hollow Knight chat!

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
It would have been really funny if during the fight with the Hollow Knight when Sealed Vessel was peaking it briefly cut to a kid looking at a couple of little tiny bugs on the ground just wailing on each other.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/FalKoopa_/status/1656123406352515072

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

they've spent all their time working with Sega to backport a shrunken-down Kiryu into hollow knight

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I almost like that the Hive is separate and has little connection to the rest of the game. It makes it feel more real in a way, like there's this whole world where some things interact and some don't, rather than being forced to tie neatly in with everything else. This just happens to be where the bees are and that's okay. This sounds insane to me even as I type it.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

that's a good post and i agree with it

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

guppy posted:

I almost like that the Hive is separate and has little connection to the rest of the game. It makes it feel more real in a way, like there's this whole world where some things interact and some don't, rather than being forced to tie neatly in with everything else. This just happens to be where the bees are and that's okay. This sounds insane to me even as I type it.

It's not insane, it's articulating part of what makes Hollow Knight feel so special.

For the people who want super linear, short, heavily curated theme park experiences Sony has you covered.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I hope when team cherry's great great grandchildren finish making silksong sometime in 2077 they have a tunnel at the bottom that inexplicably leads to the abyss level that didn't get funded on the old kickstarter.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I never found the hive.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

you have time

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ilmucche posted:

I never found the hive.

Doesn't it have a bunch of bees flying around next to it?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

It does, but it's also hidden behind a breakable wall or something.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

Yes, but you can't get in from where most of the bees are.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Mymla posted:

It does, but it's also hidden behind a breakable wall or something.

Ah yeah. That's right. On the screen with the most bees. And there's a little room at the top of the hive you can enter that doesn't go in the hive proper that is not hidden. That way you know there is something there to try to find a way in.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

The game after silksong should let you play as a bee. Bees are a top five bug for sure.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Just play Bug Fables. (Incidentally, if for some reason you're jonesing for a Hollow Knight prequel where you play as one of the sacred moths, I'd give you the same answer.)

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
did you know bees don't actually make hexagons? they just spin in circles and the circles press the other circles into hexagons! liars!!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Whitenoise Poster posted:

The game after silksong

good one

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The hive is vitally important in that it explains why a spider was named Hornet

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Hornet isn’t a spider.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

goblin week posted:

Hornet isn’t a spider.

She is culturally a spider

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Same

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I think the spot with the breakable Hive wall also has some quiet buzzing sounds as a clue.

Any HK fans who haven't played Dead Cells should check it out. Very fun platforming/exploring/Roguelike with a ton of loving references to other games.

You can get the Nail as a sword weapon, and the room you find it in looks like this:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The small bees are also right in front of the cracked wall so the two ways of noticing: Either you see the cracks in the wall, or you soul blast the small bees which blasts open the wall.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mazerunner posted:

did you know bees don't actually make hexagons? they just spin in circles and the circles press the other circles into hexagons! liars!!

Pressing circles outward until they touch is making hexagons. I challenge you to find a more efficient way to make hexagons out of beeswax as a bee

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

cheetah7071 posted:

Pressing circles outward until they touch is making hexagons. I challenge you to find a more efficient way to make hexagons out of beeswax as a bee

I could do it easily but I don't feel like it right now.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

The small bees are also right in front of the cracked wall so the two ways of noticing: Either you see the cracks in the wall, or you soul blast the small bees which blasts open the wall.

There's honey dropping down into the room vertically below the hive too. The idea is that you'd think "that's weird", and check the map, see that there's a void with no entrances and start exploring round the empty space.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What room below the hive? It's by itself on the far right of the map. There is stuff above it.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

What room below the hive? It's by itself on the far right of the map. There is stuff above it.

There's a vertical corridor under one block that has honey dripping down on the roof. Unless I've just dreamed that...

Edit: apparently I have. It must have been a side wall

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Vivid Silksong dreams.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
If nothing else, you can easily discover the Hive's existence by finding the Collector's Map. In searching for the one grub that's above the hive, you'll discover that room with a bunch of small bees, where you can see that there's a whole other portion that you can't get into from there. Then you search around for another way in and eventually find the entrance next to more of those small bees.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

The Zombie Guy posted:

I think the spot with the breakable Hive wall also has some quiet buzzing sounds as a clue.

Any HK fans who haven't played Dead Cells should check it out. Very fun platforming/exploring/Roguelike with a ton of loving references to other games.

You can get the Nail as a sword weapon, and the room you find it in looks like this:

Dead Cells doesn't really reward exploring that much. Any encounter with an enemy is a gamble if you're gonna lose hard-to-regain HP, so the only way to play is to get to the exit quickly.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Furthermore whoever balanced the BC difficulty tiers and locked the True End behind multiple successful runs on the highest tier, is clearly a dangerously unhinged individual

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Team Cherry, release Silksong!

Team Cherry posted:

I could do it easily but I don't feel like it right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
ori and the will of the wisps was also not worth my time.

please do not release a third game in this double shrug of a series before silksong.