Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Shockeh posted:

Oh sure - That's a worthwhile conversation on 'How powerful should an Exotic be?' Stompees/Wormhusk being S+ forever because they affect basic FPS mechanics is either a statement that they shouldn't, because you simply can't balance that, or any conditional effect that doesn't do that (and the list is very long here, let's use Bombardiers as an example) needs to be much better.

Both things can be true. Also the factor of which sandbox you're playing in. In PvE stompees are a non issue. Like, no one runs them. In PvP they're a nightmare. In an ideal world and exotic would be usable and appealing in both, but that's Very Hard(TM) to do.

I think in general Bungie has wanted to step back from movement based exotics, because they are so hard to balance. However those exotics are already in the game. What choice do they have outside "attempt something resembling balance" or "leave it alone, gently caress it" or "nuke it from the game"? It's an old decision that has bitten them ever since.

Also Bombardiers need a buff, please see my previous posts on how to make them great again, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

acumen posted:

For warlocks at least it's more of a case that there isn't anything better. Again why nerf the one thing people actually use instead of making other exotics more useable?

because oftentimes the other options are perfectly usable as they are

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
wasn't there a bit a while back when people were using omnioculus' damage resist to good effect on hunter? not saying they should go back to exactly that, since i remember people being apocalyptically mad about it in this thread, but there obviously are exotic effects good enough to compete with stompees or wormhusk

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Omni’s damage reduction was insanely strong. People had trouble seeing you and you took less damage. It wasn’t so bad in 6s but it was absurd in Trials.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I think Bungie also puts some thought into stuff like, "What stuff really sucks to play against???" when they pick their nerfs. Omni-oculus probably never surpassed Stompees in usage, but it sure was annoying as hell to have invincible, invisible trios come storming right at you!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

they also consider build investment. for example, do you get an absurdly massive power spike/consistent baseline power boost from a single exotic with almost no playstyle adjustment? then maybe it's time to nerf it

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

acumen posted:

For warlocks at least it's more of a case that there isn't anything better. Again why nerf the one thing people actually use instead of making other exotics more useable? Even with the melee range decrease I can't see that changing Ophidian's position on there much.

Because it goes against the very essence of the bungie balance pass.
Why bring other things in line with the 'problem' item, when they can instead grind that item into the dirt under their heel?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I think Bungie also puts some thought into stuff like, "What stuff really sucks to play against???" when they pick their nerfs. Omni-oculus probably never surpassed Stompees in usage, but it sure was annoying as hell to have invincible, invisible trios come storming right at you!

Yeah like are bows op? No

Is blinting a miserable degenerate playstyle? Yes

So nerf to the one exotic bow armour

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Mazerunner posted:

Yeah like are bows op? No

Is blinting a miserable degenerate playstyle? Yes

So nerf to the one exotic bow armour

the be fair the one exotic bow armor enabled that miserable degenerate playstyle, especially paired with wishender's wallhacks at full draw

what oathkeeper needs is a rework, not a nerf. it's always going to be a problem as long as blinting is in vogue, and blinting is going to remain in vogue no matter what

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Didn’t they already counter blinting by adding a delay when switching weapons immediately after firing a bow?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

haveblue posted:

Didn’t they already counter blinting by adding a delay when switching weapons immediately after firing a bow?

whatever they did it wasn't enough since i got punked by blintbow last time i was in crucible

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I was so excited for the supposed Oathkeeper rework and then they announced it and I went "oh". I don't even want to hold the charge that long, I just thought it'd be great for champs and stuff to hold for five seconds.

I know people like Athrys' Embrace a lot already and I'm sure adding Str boost is great, but I got disappointed in that when the original rumour was "precisions recharge melee". That sounded like it'd be hella fun.

I still really want them to merge similar exotics. As in, Caliban's Hand and Athrys' Embrace both enhance solar knives. You can only have one type of knife at a time. So, I really want them to just add the effects to one of them, and rework the other into something new.

Also rework some dead exotics lol. And while we're at it, seriously, just rework what Underdog does. I didn't care it was a dead perk except (older) weapons still drop with it so that's just an irritant. I'm also being really picky.

Stompees got what was coming to it.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I wanna know how the Oathkeeper's 'Window' overlaps with Lemon. That's the main question.

(It's not going to, is it)

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Shockeh posted:

E: The most damning item on there is Stompees/Wormhusk - Two Y1 Exotics, and it shows that they've made SO MANY SINCE, and none of them are reliable/consistent/good (delete to taste) enough to surmount basic +movement or +health.

In general that list is dominated by Year 1 exotics, with most of the rest from Forsaken.

Red War (7): Synthoceps, Dunemarchers, Peacekeepers, YAS, Stompees, Starfire, Transversive
CoO (1): Ophidian
Warmind (2): Wormhusk, Armamentarium
Forsaken (4): OEM, Antaeus, Oathkeeper, 6th Coyote
Everything Since (2): Peregrine, Osmiomancy

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Slot 1 weapons are more fun than slot two weapons. Slot 2 has more subclass synergies but they aren't as enjoyable. Fight me.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

syntaxfunction posted:

Slot 1 weapons are more fun than slot two weapons. Slot 2 has more subclass synergies but they aren't as enjoyable. Fight me.

counterpoint: the fighting lion

i win

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Glad to see my ACD/0 Feedback Fence playstyle is safe.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I hope they make the shotty exotic viable enough to idk like 3-4 tap a champ on GM. that'd tickle me but i guess it'd be ok if it was just viable in the mid game space.

Excited to try the thunder punch exotic too, I just recently got that off a vex thing.

Both of the changes sound really good and fun

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I wish Duality had some solar synergy, I love the look of that gun.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
4X-6X damage increase on the lightning strikes sounds like it'll bring it close to where it was when season 18 started and it was so busted they disabled it

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Both TWABs were poo poo lmao

Additional lol that Apotheosis Veil continues to be whatever the gently caress trash it still is

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

PathAsc posted:

Both TWABs were poo poo lmao

Additional lol that Apotheosis Veil continues to be whatever the gently caress trash it still is

Even they forgot it existed

Mesadoram posted:

I wish Duality had some solar synergy, I love the look of that gun.

This is another forgotten exotic tbh I haven’t thought about this one since the season it came out

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

to be fair they also released a dungeon called "duality" which has been much more important

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They also released a Marathon Infinity map named Duality, but that was, uh, some time ago

Double Aught never released their Duality, though :(

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Bungie has some words that they really like to reuse

Leviathan

Harmony

Surge

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

yeah 3+ different Leviathans cracks me up

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Legendary

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Preview from next week's TWAB:

Legendary Masters now spawn in Legend mode dungeons and Master mode nightfalls. Master legends spawn in legendary lost sectors, but only in master difficulty. Legendary tier loot from these legendary masters and master legends have bugged masterworks that will be fixed next season.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Edit: Nevermind my bad, it's just a teaser.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 12, 2023

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I’m fairly sure it’s next season and this season was the one being developed when they began implementing that criticism and tweaked that formula to make it a bit less tedious

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Leviathan

Harmony

Surge

Retribution

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Leviathan

Harmony

Surge

paracausal

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

did exactly one defiant battlegrounds and got 7 seasonal challenges done. good system.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Leviathan

Harmony

Surge

RADIAL MAST

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Kith posted:

did exactly one defiant battlegrounds and got 7 seasonal challenges done. good system.

Yeah, the seasonal challenges have been good this season. My partner is finishing the season pass (she's at 70 something) and the challenges are just rocketing her along which is great. The fact that so many can be knocked out together has been so nice.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Went flawless second try last night, really got into the groove quick for once. Too bad my shotgun rolls have been rear end so far.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

This game is cool and all, but I'm so loving sick of being pushed off edges by enemies.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

smallmouth posted:

This game is cool and all, but I'm so loving sick of being pushed off edges by enemies.
and then when we do it to enemies "it breaks the encounter" and gets patched out. (or creates unfavorable circumstances anyways, like having the colossus fall of during RoN 3)

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
If you weren’t constantly surrounded by a bottomless void what would that brick of heavy ammo that finally dropped have to disappear into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Got my queens guard title on Friday :woop:

That legendary Avalon was hell and not at all fun