Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
… wait, so they knew he was Loup, a volatile and powerful creature of unknown powers who has already done a lot of destruction to the court, burnt Reynard, made up of two parts who have both done violence to Annie herself despite her personal relationship to them (the wrist teeth secret, the forest berserker followed by stolen memories)…

And… they just let him stay with Lana who’s a squishy human now? The millisecond they found out they didn’t try to rescue her???

You can’t even argue he won’t do her violence in this body because he already has done it to others right at the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Captain Oblivious posted:

Weird how the main characters never behaved like they knew, even in private, where they had ample opportunity and cause to demonstrate such knowledge.

It's going to be revealed that they found out about it off-screen between the last chapter and this one. During that time they developed their plan to capture him as well, also off-screen.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

Weird how the main characters never behaved like they knew, even in private, where they had ample opportunity and cause to demonstrate such knowledge.

What are you talking about? Lana and Loup, the main characters, demonstrated that knowledge plenty of times!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DontMockMySmock posted:

lmao, what??

look at how sinister Annie and Kat look in panel 4. Loup is the hero now; the previous main characters are now villains.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

lmao, what??

look at how sinister Annie and Kat look in panel 4. Loup is the hero now; the previous main characters are now villains.

Randalor posted:

I kinda get what Tom is going with, where Loup-as-Jerk is becoming more caring and empathetic (or maybe he sees a kind of kin in the robots-turned-human) while Annie is dead set on killing Loup and so we're going to end up with Annie as the villain.

That being said, WHERE'S MY ROBOT ZOMBIES, TOM?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

So we’re either pivoting to the Court as the main villain as Annie forgives him, or Loup’s return as an active villain if she rejects him. Loup fleeing the subway tram was a dead giveaway, but nobody talking about it was a weird given how many chapters we’ve had since.

It also make Robot’s deal with him off, but the whole robot cult thing has been building for years and maybe it’s to get us to some kind of narrative payoff here. Robot’s deal with Loup accomplished squat since the latter immediately hosed off for a while, so are we to not trust Robot?

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

There Bias Two posted:

It's going to be revealed that they found out about it off-screen between the last chapter and this one. During that time they developed their plan to capture him as well, also off-screen.

Honestly I think it's gonna be this. When Kat went God-mode, she explicitly mentioned being able to track Loup. Which irks me because Annie was so incurious that she never just peeked into the ether while talking to him.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

YaketySass posted:

lmao

at least something is happening

Gunnerkrigg Court: lmao. at least something is happening

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Let’s just see and find out since when they knew so we can decide if it’s really a bad twist or not.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Darth TNT posted:

Let’s just see and find out since when they knew so we can decide if it’s really a bad twist or not.

I mean, it’s a bad twist either way because no matter what it positions Loup as the protagonist whose perspective we follow, in order to set up a twist by hiding Annie’s perspective from us.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

"Of course we knew. We're not idiots"

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The right time for this reveal was many updates ago, and the central problem with it now is that already knowing Jerrick is Loup does not match up with the private, no-need-to-hide-anything behavior of Annie or Kat. Like, why did they go to meet him in a private location? Doesn't that seem like a loving stupid idea, unless you're going to try to turn the tables on a suspected trap asap? But no they waited for him to admit it before moving on him because...??????? What was the plan, here

But I guess I can also huff the hopium and see if future updates make this better, who knows!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

GunnerJ posted:

The right time for this reveal was many updates ago

Yeah like, even if it does get justified why here and now was the best time to capture him, why keep the audience in the dark? If we knew that Annie and Kat knew about Loup, then as soon as Jerrick and Lana come to speak with them it'd have so much more tension. But then I guess we wouldn't have this surprising twist, and Annie & Kat would be framed less villainously, and the story wouldn't have been as strongly from Loup's perspective :shepface:

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Perhaps Robot's been using his uqbiquitous surveillance capabilities to keep tabs on Loup, and all he was buying with the deal was enough time to backstop his story about how he found out. He then arranges to tell Annie and Kat his fabricated story of how things went down once it is quite clear to him that Loup is going to spill the beans.

If it works, this gets Loup captured. And probably gives Robot access to the fettered diety,

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I'm getting a shonen jump vibe from Loup, where they beat the poo poo out of the antagonist and he just becomes their friend*

it would explain why he hasn't really flexed his power and why he's more of an annoyance then a threat

I think between Kat's robo-apotheosis and Annie becoming Annie², maybe they're supposed to be at more equal footing?

*Except, obv, we didn't see any of that happen

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 12, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Has Jerrik actually done anything when he's been in that body? Or could Jerrik be a poor robot-turned-human that Loup brainwashed or put a small part of his power into? I know that we've seen another Loup running around way back when.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Jerrek is a fully shapeshifted Loup, which is why he didn’t show up in Robot’s logs

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

There Bias Two posted:

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011
this is just an even further disconnect from annie. we used to have insight to her thoughts and emotions, and now we, the audience, are being blindsided by this revelation? this sucks, what the gently caress.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i’m reserving judgment for now but it’s still baffling how the last gasps of this comic are being spent pushing Loup front and center. what does Tom expect us to like about this guy? he completely sucks even if you downplay all the horrid stuff he did in earlier chapters

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The final panel of the comic will be Coyote saying "The Aristocrats!"

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I knew the thread going from mostly dead all week to this many posts meant Some poo poo Involving Loup had occurred but I still wasn't prepared for how loving stupid it was.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Why are Annie and Kat seemingly confused here if they knew Jerrek was Loup? Shouldn't they like, be on edge here or something? Loup just came up to them and said "we have news about Loup, but we need to be somewhere private" so you'd think they'd be at least a little on guard?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
You can read the expressions as "Loup just said he had info about Loup? What? Uh, I guess let's play along?"

But, yeah, this is a situation where I don't really see any great answer to "When exactly did they discover Jerrik was Loup?"

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Eh, they're teens and Jerrik looks REALLY nervous there, I can see them being a "Uh... what?" moment.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
I think we've hit Game of Thrones levels of "just check off all the plot points, who gives a poo poo if they make sense"

A part of me is genuinely angry with Tom for how stupid this is.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

So did Tom say anything about when he's going to start writing again himself instead of publishing somebody else's lovely fanfiction?

[whispers from offstage]

What?

Oh.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I enjoyed the acanonical guest comics at first but they're getting kind of old.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
Okay this definitely caught me off guard, and not in a good way.

Either they recently learned this (when it should have been earlier) or they were playing 4d chess by talking like they didn't know where Loup was even when he wasn't there, for fear of being overheard or something.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
It really kills me how this is no longer anything like the comic I fell in love with.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

mycatscrimes posted:

It really kills me how this is no longer anything like the comic I fell in love with.

Yeah, it wouldn't feel so bad if the comic hadn't been so much better than this in the early days of it.

It's a shame.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Beating a dead horse here but one final one

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
also this is just a pet peeve but can no one else see how loving weird kat's eyes look when she's going all mother of machines?

like are her eyes supposed to look like black voids to everyone or are they just normal

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
gbh my entire reaction to this update is "Uh. Huh. Ok?"

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
I still don't understand how the story is hitting seemingly logical beats while still making them all feel absurd.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW
Oh. Hum. Based on these past two pages, maybe I should be glad there hasn't been any news on book 9. Carry on.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Battle Pigeon posted:

Beating a dead horse here but one final one

The monster drink lmao.

I feel like the time between us and Annie and the gang discovering Jerrick is Loup was too long. It make their obliviousness frustrating and baffling, especially with Jerrick being so knowledgeable about the ether. It also removed a potentially fun element of wondering what's with this new boy interested in Annie, and why's he doing xyz, which could have been fun on reread. Having him be shy, reserved, and a New Person could have been a great cover for certain behaviors that might have otherwise raised alarms.

Edit: but ofc that would have put focus on Annie and Kat and we wouldn't get to see the Loup/Lana love saga

catapede fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

A big flaming stink posted:

also this is just a pet peeve but can no one else see how loving weird kat's eyes look when she's going all mother of machines?

like are her eyes supposed to look like black voids to everyone or are they just normal

They're the same as her mom's, as the thread pointed out to me when I questioned it. Either its a side-effect of accessing her mom's magic computer, or she's squinting (maybe all the computer display stuff is on the inside of her eyelids?)