Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

HiroProtagonist posted:

no a creeping barrage is when a mod posts about a minor skirmish :mrgw:

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

did we discuss yet that some guy in the Russian ministry of finance said that Russia needs to urgently privatise a lot of state industry

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

it's not a very popular statement here, to say the least. last time didn't go so well

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

russian capitalists are no doubt deeply concerned about that

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lol

remember how badly we got hosed in the 90s?

what if we did it again

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

tazjin posted:

did we discuss yet that some guy in the Russian ministry of finance said that Russia needs to urgently privatise a lot of state industry

gonna lol if russia pushes ukraine back only for this war to end in october revolution (2027)

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Truga posted:

gonna lol if russia pushes ukraine back only for this war to end in october revolution (2027)

on the upside, they won't have to build new statues of Lenin etc. - they're all still up!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

crepeface posted:

lol

remember how badly we got hosed in the 90s?

what if we did it again

Remember the awesome double digit inflation of the 1980s?

What if we did that but more?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Reports are that Ukraine is privatizing every industry they still have possession of, and we can't allow a privatization gap!

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Pro-Russian hackers are (again) DDoS'ing Danish defense websites, including the Center for Cyber Security. You had one job...

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

tazjin posted:

That is actually not really accurate, the CEO of VTB (the second largest bank in Russia, state owned) said there should be more privatization and the deputy head of finance said it was interesting but an internal market needs to developed first. The Kremlin had no comment.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

I prefer Age of Sigmar personally

I heard through the grapevine that the Old World reboot was going to use new base sizes so you would have to rebase your armies. Seems dumb if true!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

I heard through the grapevine that the Old World reboot was going to use new base sizes so you would have to rebase your armies. Seems dumb if true!

They wanted the larger bases of Sigmar with formations, the problem is people having to keep on rebasing models every couple years.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 12:35 on May 12, 2023

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

crepeface posted:

lol why did an anime mod come in here to meltdown

razorscooter posted:

goddamn 10000 ticket server rear end battle

Glad I missed out on that nonsense

Edit:

Ardennes posted:

They wanted the larger bases of Sigmar with formations, the more problem is people having to keep on rebasing models every couple years.

What, you mean they're going to keep making the bases bigger every edition?

PoontifexMacksimus has issued a correction as of 12:34 on May 12, 2023

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Glad I missed out on that nonsense

Edit:

What, you mean they're going to keep making the bases bigger every edition?

I mean they did it before, we will see if they finally stop.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

What does that have to dwith AoS tho

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

I prefer Age of Sigmar personally

s@me. the orkish technology is more realistic to what they have IRL

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
On the subject of Western media, just read this amazing article in the UK's Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/may/12/ukraine-prepares-to-take-back-territory-from-russia-step-by-step-roman-kostenko

(Amazing in the sense of the sheer level of question-begging and reading between the lines that's necessary to comprehend it.)

The Guardian posted:

According to Ukrainian partisans, spooked Russian soldiers have grown terrified of mysterious nighttime attacks. They have nicknamed the invisible drones Baba Yaga, after the supernatural witch who flies around on a broom. One Ukrainian operator, who uses the codename Caesar, said most missions were successful. The homemade drones were comparatively cheap to build, and frequently knocked out $2m tanks, he said.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Ukraine war: China to send Russia hand Li Hui to Kyiv and Moscow on peace mission

quote:

China will send its special representative for Eurasian affairs, Li Hui, to Ukraine, Poland, France, Germany and Russia from Monday in a major sweep through Europe to find a solution to the war in Ukraine.

China will be one of the few countries to send envoys to both sides of the conflict, while Li, a vice-ministerial level diplomat, will be the most senior Chinese official to set foot on Ukrainian soil since Russia mounted its invasion in February 2022.

“The visit of Chinese representatives to relevant countries is another demonstration of China’s commitment to promoting peace and talks. It fully demonstrates that China is firmly on the side of peace,” foreign ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin said, announcing the trip on Friday.

I dont expect China to pull this off, but it's nice they're trying.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

OhFunny posted:

Ukraine war: China to send Russia hand Li Hui to Kyiv and Moscow on peace mission

I dont expect China to pull this off, but it's nice they're trying.

yea, when they brokered peace between the saudis and iranians they were dealing with mostly rational actors but this time they'll be staring into the dead eyes of the western shitlib

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I could at least comprehend the lore behind Warhammer Fantasy. Age of Sigmar just feels like bashing army mans together, which is fine, but the world building seems incomprehensible. And apparently the Old World isnt a real reboot because the End Times still happens and Chaos wins, which seems dumb too.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
age of sigmars miniatures and characters look a million times cooler than both normal fantasy and 40k, sadly im not a fan of fantasy.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

age of sigmars miniatures and characters look a million times cooler than both normal fantasy and 40k, sadly im not a fan of fantasy.

the ghosts and underwater factions are cool

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Stormcast Eternals = Ukraine
Orruk Warclans = Russia

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The individual models for AoS are often beautifully sculpted and detailed, but the setting itself is dull and generic as gently caress. It's great if you're just into painting, but I do not see the appeal of the actual game.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Ardennes posted:

That is actually not really accurate, the CEO of VTB (the second largest bank in Russia, state owned) said there should be more privatization and the deputy head of finance said it was interesting but an internal market needs to developed first. The Kremlin had no comment.

his statement was stronger than that, he said (emphasis mine)

quote:

Был поднят в прессе вопрос, а не стоит ли возобновить большую приватизацию. Была программная статья президента — председателя правления ВТБ Андрея Костина, где он предложил вернуться к этому вопросу. На самом деле никто не против, проблема в том, что нам сначала надо исполнить ряд поручений президента по формированию внутреннего инвестора. Я считаю, что большая приватизация должна будет состояться, но надо понять, кому продавать. Если сейчас продавать, то это будет похоже на историю 94 года, это залоговые аукционы, по-моему, так называлось, но этого никто не хочет, естественно

so yeah, they want to avoid the auction system of the 90s but I don't see it as sufficiently motivated at all. even a "well executed" privatisation has a large chance of not going well (for the people, not the buyer).

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Zodium posted:

i'm normal and okay

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

goons ITT have shown a severe lack of discipline, and if it was up to me I'd send you all back to boot camp

Some guy named Lenin posted:

The unity of the Party has been deeply undermined, its internal struggle has gone beyond all party bounds. Organised discipline has been shaken to its very foundations, and the Party’s capacity for harmonious and united action is fading into a mere dream.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It isn’t the first time privatization has been talked up and bits and pieces of it happened (alongside also nationalization at the same time). They give the example of the state selling 20% of Rosneft.

At the end of the day, the Russian government is liberal but usually privatization has been piecemeal. If anything, the talk about an internal market sounds like they would only return to privatization after stability returned.

In fact, the state has been taking on more assets rather than getting rid of them in the past year.

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

I'll try to copy your optimism!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So I found out Jake Sullivan and Wang Yi had a really long 8 hours meeting. Minimum readouts after the meeting. Obviously US is not going to budge in any of the tech sanction semiconductor sanctions against China, stop selling weapons to Taiwan; China is unlikely to stop dumping US debts. So the only thing they can kind of work together is working on the peace talk. So I predict US will not trash talk China's peace talk delegations in Ukraine and Russia in the next 2 months. They won't support the China led peace talk effort of course but they will let the Ukrainians talk.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I mean it isn’t impossible for them to just sell off the assets they gained this year for example, it wouldn’t be a small amount of assets overall.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Jake Sully knows a lot about combined arms warfare.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_Sully

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Nix Panicus posted:

I could at least comprehend the lore behind Warhammer Fantasy. Age of Sigmar just feels like bashing army mans together, which is fine, but the world building seems incomprehensible. And apparently the Old World isnt a real reboot because the End Times still happens and Chaos wins, which seems dumb too.

Chaos winning is fine, even if it wasn't handled well, but then them winning was kinda nullified because everyone just went on as normal except now everything is like the various Elemental Planes of DnD and most people can't really die so nothing really matters except for the stuff that makes new models happen.

The Old World is an attempt to have lore that kinda matters again but on the other hand that means it is going to have to matter in a way that links in to Age of Sigmar.

I will say the underwater elves and flying dwarves are cool concepts, too bad about the setting they are stuck in.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nix Panicus posted:

most every bad decision wrt warhams lore for the past 20+ years or so can be traced to the original creative crew leaving and being replaced by fanboys who grew up taking the obvious satire seriously

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Cerebral Bore posted:

most every bad decision wrt warhams lore for the past 20+ years or so can be traced to the original creative crew leaving and being replaced by fanboys who grew up taking the obvious satire seriously

I don’t know if 40k lore is in a bad place to be honest, they needed to mix it up a bit.

Col.Schultz
May 14, 2010

Till we come to some beginning within our own power...

Cerebral Bore posted:

So like American foreign policy and military adventures?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Ardennes posted:

I don’t know if 40k lore is in a bad place to be honest, they needed to mix it up a bit.

Rename Bakhmut to Hades and Mariupol to Helsreach.

Also Ukraine is now Armageddon.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cerebral Bore posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

They renamed ghazgull so he's no longer a Margaret thatcher parody.