Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Was that the guy who tried to fund an alliance using real money to the tune of $25K+ like, 15 years ago only to get their asses whooped and their titan killed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Carth Dookie posted:

Was that the guy who tried to fund an alliance using real money to the tune of $25K+ like, 15 years ago only to get their asses whooped and their titan killed?

I was about to say "It wasn't fifteen years ago" but holy loving poo poo, gently caress. gently caress. i feel so old now. Yes, that's the one.

The amount was actually in excess of $100k, and then he got banned for RMT so he spent it again, this time with isk legally bought with Game Time Cards (this was before PLEX was a thing, so Game Time Cards were how people legally traded isk for real money)

I, personally, baited that ROL titan back to a belt with my dread and ensured us the kill. One of the smuggest moments of my life was when I saw his doomsday activation effect start right as my capacitor ticked over 71%. There's like a ten second delay between when you push F1 and when the DD fires, so that meant I was able to jump jump to safety right as his doomsday fired. By then, our dictors were on him and our mainfleet was finally in system, so he was fuuuuucked.

I was even able to cap back up and jump back into the fight to get on the killmail. The embarassing Titan loss set their invasion back by two weeks while their coalition leadership argued, and when they did finally commit they had zero coordination across their fronts because they were still all so butthurt. This led to a short, victorious war (for us) that involved slapstick events like "Bobby ATLAS gets dumpstered by Majesta Empire of all things".

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 12, 2023

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Kesper North posted:

I was about to say "It wasn't fifteen years ago" but holy loving poo poo, gently caress. gently caress. i feel so old now

The amount was actually in excess of $100k, and then he got banned for RMT so he spent it again, this time with isk legally bought with Game Time Cards (this was before PLEX was a thing, so Game Time Cards were how people legally traded isk for real money)

I thought it might have been $200k but that sounded crazy, especially in 2008 dollars, so I said $25k but lol whales gonna whale.

Also yeah same. Just remembered that wormhole shenanigans I look back on so fondly is now 10 years ago. :corsair: :smith:

Also we need a smith emote with a long grey beard.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Fearless posted:

Holy gently caress, the guy behind that mess was Deripaska's spawn?

Steve Bannon ran a goldfarming operation in World of Warcraft around then too!

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2017/07/steve-bannon-world-of-warcraft-gold-farming.html

https://www.wired.com/2008/11/ff-ige/

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I remember watching ninja turtles as a kid and the foot clan was recruiting wayward young boys through arcade games and as a kid I thought that was a stretch and now welp lmao

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Alan Smithee posted:

I remember watching ninja turtles as a kid and the foot clan was recruiting wayward young boys through arcade games and as a kid I thought that was a stretch and now welp lmao

Yeah it turns out that, uh, that comes from a place

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Why, I could scarcely imagine extremists taking advantage of open communities filled with lonely, angry young men to nudge them down a rabbit hole of radicalization.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
jesus h this guy doesn't mind who sees his price tag does he

quote:

Germany’s former chancellor Gerhard Schröder has been criticised again for his links to Russia after attending a Victory Day party at the Russian embassy in Berlin. Schröder was seen at a reception on Tuesday marking the anniversary of the defeat of Nazi Germany in the second world war, along with senior figures from the far-right Alternative für Deutschland party and the far-left Linke party.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I personally don't mind a small derail now and again so much if it's interesting but I never played so when y'all start talking about DD, ROL, RMT or PLEX please know that we have no loving clue what you're talking about and it makes for a very boring read.

Please note that I'm by no means asking to explain all these terms because I don't really care, I'm asking that if you have some funny drama and meltdowns to post, please consider us plebeians who don't know the lingo.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

spankmeister posted:

I personally don't mind a small derail now and again so much if it's interesting but I never played so when y'all start talking about DD, ROL, RMT or PLEX please know that we have no loving clue what you're talking about and it makes for a very boring read.

Please note that I'm by no means asking to explain all these terms because I don't really care, I'm asking that if you have some funny drama and meltdowns to post, please consider us plebeians who don't know the lingo.

Its not worth it unless you really like spreadsheets and are a huge nerd. Revel in your ignorance.

Each successive leader grows their own cult until it explodes in spectacular drama and it turns out they were just a terrible human being all along.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 08:13 on May 12, 2023

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I do miss living in WHs and jumping people doing sites with a dozen capitals with our t3 ahac fleet. Had a tackle stealth warping scanner proteus with 550k ehp for it. RF long point, with 2 fed navy webs too

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
dear McNally I am sorry for accidentally turning the Ukraine War thread into the Goonfleet Retirement Village please don't ban me

spankmeister posted:

I'm gonna explain them anyways

F1 = the hotkey for the first weapon or group of weapons on your hotkey bar; usually you put your ship's primary weapons (railguns, missiles, lasers, etc) here so all you have to do to start firing is hit F1 and they'll automatically fire and reload when the magazine dries up.
DD = doomsday, a massive, extremely slow refire weapon that only titans (the largest and most expensive classification of ship in the game, takes years worth of skill points to be able to fly) can fire. If a titan is on the field, you are in an enormous fight and poo poo is getting WACKY. Each of the four titans (not counting the uber-rare ones) has a different doomsday with different visual and mechanical effects, plus there's a few additional generic ones you can swap in that do weirder things like being giant sweeping energy lances or basically space flamethrowers the size of Manhattan.
ROL = the "ticker tag" of the defunct alliance "RED Overlord"
RMT = Real Money Trading, the (generally terms-of-service-breaking) act of paying someone real money for in-game assets in an MMO
PLEX = Pilot License EXtension, a legitimate in-game method of turning in-game money into subscription time which serves as a sort of baseline to compare in-game money to effective equivalent value in USD.
WHs = wormholes, randomly generated unstable links to star systems that don't have any fixed links to any other systems, just other randomly generated wormholes. Wormhole space is considered pretty drat dangerous but thrilling.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Kesper North posted:

let's not forget the time Oleg Deripaska's failson bankrolled a nullsec alliance (RED.Overlord) only to have goons eat his lunch during MAX3

The alliance in question was Against All Authorities and I forget the name of the dude in charge of it, but yeah, he was apparently in tight with Deripaska's kid using his dad's credit card to keep the alliance afloat. It didn't work. The problem with EVE is that all the real and fake spaceship money in the world doesn't mean poo poo if you don't have asses in seats, logistics both inside and outside the game, and fleet leadership.

Also, as I recall, we weren't at war with AAA but we also weren't allied *with* them and...whatever this was 10-15+ years ago at this point. But the "Russian aluminum tycoon propping up AAA" rumor had legs.

Red Alliance (whom we *were* allied with) also had some Russian mobsters in it (MACTEP is the only name I remember), and I remember being at a DC EVE meet (I organized a few of them) with VileRat and a ton of GF directors where UAxDeath talked about "getting cars for fuckhead boss."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:41 on May 12, 2023

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Man, Red is a shadow of its former self. We recently did some work with them in Providence because we both wanted to kick out some krabbers who were sitting on the only good pocket in the region and they punted a few timers and then paid Snuffed Out half a trillion isk to do the grunt work.

For the non-current EVE players, that's about 106,000 "new PLEX", or about $3500 USD.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Staaaahp for the love of goon

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The alliance in question was Against All Authorities

It was not. It was SirLordex of ROL.

https://web.archive.org/web/20100413234355/http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/65475/page/2

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Kesper North posted:

I was about to say "It wasn't fifteen years ago" but holy loving poo poo, gently caress. gently caress. i feel so old now. Yes, that's the one.

Friend, I got a bunch of "Celebrate 20 years of Eve" mails a few days ago. Like, a dozen. No I didn't have a problem with Eve accounts shut up. I won Eve 6 years ago ffs.

One strange memory I still have is Plague Black, who was Serbian iirc, putting vinyls of WW1 era military marches during slow ops and broadcasting them over Teamspeak.

Looking back, that feels like it has a certain je ne sais quois…

GD_American posted:

jesus h this guy doesn't mind who sees his price tag does he

He has been a profound dipshit for decades. Luckily he is also irrelevant. The SPD has found new ways of being awful all on its own over the last two decades.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
How useless is t-55 armor in a modern setting?

Can it be defeated by a Bradley auto cannon?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I mean didn't those basically shred T-72s in Iraq

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

I mean didn't those basically shred T-72s in Iraq

Yes. From a pretty good range too from what I recall. Like maybe 800m to side armor?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

davecrazy posted:

Any type of anti armor can open them up, if the ones fighting it only have anti infantry guns they are a an armored cannon that you don't want cruising around your lines like all armor.

If it is kept in the backline it can still act as a suboptimal mobile armored 100mM field gun.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

From a friend:

">>> T-54B, southern direction. A month ago up to a company of such vehicles (T-54 and 55) were transferred to the howitzer division. They operate with undirect fire, with crews of 3 people.

The crews were recruited from the tank battalion and artillery, after which they underwent training for a week. I can't speak for the whole of the combat zone, but we use them as SPGs."

The non-existant guy saying they were being brought for primarily indirect fire may have been right! Will try and get link to full quote

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

*edit: Link removed because dead bodies*

Link says it all, absolutely crazy poo poo to behold.
I'm assuming surrendering to drones isn't even that rare in this war, but I've never seen a video of it thus far.

Nothing :nws:, bunch of close-call explosions that I can't quite explain

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 14:19 on May 12, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think there are at least one or two more videos of similar events but it's got to be rare since Ukraine would naturally have footage of every case.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CrazyFuckingVideos/comments/13e8kmw/surrendering_to_a_drone_and_crossing_no_mans_land/

Link says it all, absolutely crazy poo poo to behold.
I'm assuming surrendering to drones isn't even that rare in this war, but I've never seen a video of it thus far.

Nothing :nws:, bunch of close-call explosions that I can't quite explain

There are multiple corpses strewn around the area that are visible, so it's actually rather :nws:

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

davecrazy posted:

I read somewhere that the Russians are using the T-55 not in the tank role, rather as the mobile artillery role since it uses 100mm shells which apparently they have huge stockpiles of.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cimber posted:

I read somewhere that the Russians are using the T-55 not in the tank role, rather as the mobile artillery role since it uses 100mm shells which apparently they have huge stockpiles of.

I have it on good authority (somethingawful.com) that no one is using t55s primarily as mobile artillery. In other news South Africa has summoned the US Ambassador over his statements accusing SA of supplying Russia with military aid. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/may/12/south-africa-summons-us-ambassador-over-claims-it-armed-russia

Either the US ambassador was off base with his remarks, or SA is Big Mad about getting called out and intends to proceed with supplying Russia no matter what.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Flyinglemur posted:

I wanna play

You're about 15-20 too years late to the enjoyable bit, never flew with the Swarm but i did my time as a highsec hugger.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Iraqis were surrendering to spotter drones all the way back in the first Gulf War.

https://www.military.com/history/wh...%20battlefield.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I maintain that using a T-5x in an indirect fire role is stupid and doesn't actually work well. Yes it puts HE downrange, but it's more a Ralph Wigum "I'm helping" IDF

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Carth Dookie posted:

I thought it might have been $200k but that sounded crazy, especially in 2008 dollars, so I said $25k but lol whales gonna whale.

Also yeah same. Just remembered that wormhole shenanigans I look back on so fondly is now 10 years ago. :corsair: :smith:

Also we need a smith emote with a long grey beard.

I miss schadenfreud, our merry group of misfits would follow him into wormhole adventures any time he decided to resub

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Don't make me tap the thread title.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

M_Gargantua posted:

I maintain that using a T-5x in an indirect fire role is stupid and doesn't actually work well. Yes it puts HE downrange, but it's more a Ralph Wigum "I'm helping" IDF

Necessity is the mother of invention? Aren't the Russian tube artillery getting torn to shreds by drones?

And frankly, isn't a Ralph Wigum better than nothing for the Russians at this point? Makes it look like they are 'doing something'?

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

orange juche posted:

I miss schadenfreud, our merry group of misfits would follow him into wormhole adventures any time he decided to resub

:smith:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Cimber posted:

Necessity is the mother of invention? Aren't the Russian tube artillery getting torn to shreds by drones?

And frankly, isn't a Ralph Wigum better than nothing for the Russians at this point? Makes it look like they are 'doing something'?

The other option is realizing they have nothing left and lost months ago and going home so fewer people die so...no?

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Murgos posted:

Yes. From a pretty good range too from what I recall. Like maybe 800m to side armor?

Your regular reminder that no MBT has side armor that stops any real AT weapons. A Bradley also holed a M1 through it's side in a blue-on-blue incident.

The funny part is that on occasion, Bradleys blew up T-72:s with the autocannon from the front. The Iraqi-built versions actually had substantially worse armor than the Soviet-made ones, so this result might not transfer to Russian ones.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Just Another Lurker posted:

You're about 15-20 too years late to the enjoyable bit

Story of my life

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Ok nerds, seriously, really really, this is the thread about the war in Ukraine. Not the thread about some dumb poo poo you did in Eve 20 years ago. We have a thread that is perfect for video game conversation. It's RIGHT HERE.

It's easy to forget that we have goons with friends and family in Ukraine right now fighting for their existence. I know that information and updates about progress ebbs and flows but before we completely derail this thread with extremely off topic subjects, take a look around GIP and see if there isn't a better spot for that conversation.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah, hard agree. That type of thing worked for armies on the attack in WW2 (tank destroyers in Italy were re-purposed for it to great effect), but it's not all that useful. Tanks fire in a low parabola and would only work with pre-sighting and quick adjustments against slow, highly condensed attacks.

On the other hand, this doesn't necessarily stop Russia from trying it anyway.

Tuna-Fish posted:

Your regular reminder that no MBT has side armor that stops any real AT weapons. A Bradley also holed a M1 through it's side in a blue-on-blue incident.

The funny part is that on occasion, Bradleys blew up T-72:s with the autocannon from the front. The Iraqi-built versions actually had substantially worse armor than the Soviet-made ones, so this result might not transfer to Russian ones.

Yeah, if I remember right, Iraq got models that didn't have composite armor. It's also worth noting that Iraq's armored force during Storm was mainly stuff like T-55s, T-62s and Type 62s IIRC? Anyone feel free to correct me, I'm rolling off the dome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I find it sort of funny that the slit armor works when it goes against the old Soviet anti-armor weapons, but basically has no meaning against the western weapons produced after 60's. It worked in the recent conflicts for the NATO and US forces because their enemy was using old Soviet weapons.

So the Russians took the exactly wrong lesson here; they are cope-caging against their own weapons, not against the weapons their opponent uses. The only part of the cope cage that actually sort-of works, is the one that makes it impossible for an overhead drone to drop a grenade down the open hatch; why are you driving or guarding with your hatches open, and/or why aren't you doing anything useful to counter the drones.