Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Lmao. A strategic repositioning, not a retreat! What's everyone laughing at?

If Russia is genuinely leaving bakhmut then holy poo poo. Morale's already got to be low on the Russian side, realizing tens of thousands of your comrades ate it for a strategically useless minor city that you are now being evicted from is just, well, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Yeah once again Ukraine has surprised the west. They've literally turned bakhmut into a Stalingrad. 50,000 people DEAD and now the Russians are on the back foot.

Sure as gently caress feels like a mass retreat is going to occur. And with it, violent revenhe against the commanders of the units. And then the Russian countryside.

Really scary. I wonder what happens when a few hundred thousand bandits are running around looting and pillaging the Russian countryside.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Ukraine still technically held on to it, right? Like even the last 5% of the city/three apartment buildings were still occupied and used by Ukrainian soldiers despite everything else turned into smoke and rubble?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

EorayMel posted:

Ukraine still technically held on to it, right? Like even the last 5% of the city/three apartment buildings were still occupied and used by Ukrainian soldiers despite everything else turned into smoke and rubble?

It was never captured by Russia, correct. I'm sure they'll claim otherwise, but we all know.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
How many months for a few km into Bakhmut? lmao 24 hours later after Ukraine saying hold my beer

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
If this is what's happening at what's been the epicenter of the war for the last half year, I wonder what the state of the Russians and their defenses are like along other parts of the long front line.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Yeah once again Ukraine has surprised the west. They've literally turned bakhmut into a Stalingrad. 50,000 people DEAD and now the Russians are on the back foot.

Sure as gently caress feels like a mass retreat is going to occur. And with it, violent revenhe against the commanders of the units. And then the Russian countryside.

Really scary. I wonder what happens when a few hundred thousand bandits are running around looting and pillaging the Russian countryside.

They will claim that actually we meant to do this all along as Bakhmut had a Sims 3 factory and was a hotbed of Ukronazi militants.

We need a W Bush "mission accomplished" banner pic but with Russian characteristics.

Edit: maybe just faceswap Bush for Putin and add a shitload of diesel smoke everywhere.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KakerMix posted:

It was never captured by Russia, correct. I'm sure they'll claim otherwise, but we all know.

The 5% that was left is pretty symbolic but still lol.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

One would expect the units along the rest of the front to be in better shape, if the Russians were an actual competent army they would probably be rotating out units from bakhmut regularly to other parts of the front but idk to what extent that's been happening

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Sounds like a problem for the Russian military. Maybe Russia could join NATO to take care of their fascist infestation?

EDIT: wait, I know! Set up a no-man's land between Ukraine and Russia and send all the world's fascists there. The land can then be used as a test bed bombing range for the world's MICs so it's win-win for everyone!

Putin is of course stripped naked, painted red and forced to run out there on Opening Day

Pot Smoke Phoenix fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 12, 2023

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

Sounds like a problem for the Russian military. Maybe Russia could join NATO to take care of their fascist infestation?

Lolling while remembering the time Russia tried to join nato

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

mobby_6kl posted:

The 5% that was left is pretty symbolic but still lol.

Bakhmut itself was symbolic for Russia for whatever goddamned reason, but now it's symbolic for how incompetent and weak they are in war.

They couldn't take Bakhmut, threw tens of thousands of Russians at it and did not take it.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

free hubcaps posted:

One would expect the units along the rest of the front to be in better shape, if the Russians were an actual competent army they would probably be rotating out units from bakhmut regularly to other parts of the front but idk to what extent that's been happening

They’ve been rotating units out into cemeteries is the extent I think

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Bakhmut was a feint.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

General Bullshit > Ukraine War: Strategic Repositioning of the Russia Army One Day at a Time

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

free hubcaps posted:

:actually: you don't need to worry about rotating troops in and out of the fighting when everybody funneled into the city gets killed, and thus there's no need to get them out to recover for another round

KakerMix posted:

Bakhmut itself was symbolic for Russia for whatever goddamned reason, but now it's symbolic for how incompetent and weak they are in war.

They couldn't take Bakhmut, threw tens of thousands of Russians at it and did not take it.

I also expect an unusual(lol) uptick in number of prominent Russian politicians/Kremlin cronies falling out of windows in the next few days over trying to blame someone in Moscow as to why those Goddamn Ukrainians thwarted the brave and honorable warriors via dirty dastardly cunning

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I can’t remember, was Bakhmut the strategic anvil upon which multi polar nato stomping Russia was going to break Ukraine Verdun style and humiliate the lib brained west? Or was it an unimportant sideshow that Russia definitely didn’t even care about and wasn’t trying at all? :lofty:

Edit: ps I’ve not finished reading ww1 yet pls no spoilers about how verdun ends, really well for the attacker I imagine.

Mr Teatime fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 12, 2023

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Mr Teatime posted:

I can’t remember, was Bakhmut the strategic anvil upon which multi polar nato stomping Russia was going to break Ukraine Verdun style and humiliate the lib brained west? Or was it an unimportant sideshow that Russia definitely didn’t even care about and wasn’t trying at all? :lofty:

First one, then the other.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Russian propagandists are currently complaining about anime and it's undue influence on Ukrainian degeneracy

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Broken clock etc

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/moscowtimes/status/1656640409139834882?s=46&t=lbKxPpxJyMeDN0i-nFAg4A

“He said the Moscow region administration has greenlit the construction of the expat village and that it will be financed by the relocating families.”

Lmao Grover village

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

https://twitter.com/moscowtimes/status/1656640409139834882?s=46&t=lbKxPpxJyMeDN0i-nFAg4A

“He said the Moscow region administration has greenlit the construction of the expat village and that it will be financed by the relocating families.”

Lmao Grover village

To the adults good riddance, but you just know these people are dragging kids with them who have no say in the matter.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

HonorableTB posted:

Russian propagandists are currently complaining about anime and it's undue influence on Ukrainian degeneracy

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

The_Franz posted:

To the adults good riddance, but you just know these people are dragging kids with them who have no say in the matter.
they'll be back in few months after their ideals will be confronted with Russian reality

also, it's probably just another scam and after decade and billions spent on building that village, no one will ever move there

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Will Seagal be mayor, sheriff or both?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Did we already post that the mig engine factory is on fire?

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1656922279144456192?t=7h9ojFOw30Os0yzJ0Avbvw&s=19

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://t.me/Pravda_Gerashchenko/70844

Great news from Bakhmut:

A large smoking accident happened in Moscow:

https://t.me/Pravda_Gerashchenko/70851

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

A) anti-war saboteurs from either country hitting Russia where it hurts?
B) all the people who (are supposed to) give a poo poo about stuff not catching on fire are missing?
C) This Just Naturally Happens All The Time, Only The Coverage Increased?
D) behind the scenes mobster/politician asset slapfighting?
E) all of the above!

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The engines are fueled with mazut, that's just how they look.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

EorayMel posted:

A) anti-war saboteurs from either country hitting Russia where it hurts?
B) all the people who (are supposed to) give a poo poo about stuff not catching on fire are missing?
C) This Just Naturally Happens All The Time, Only The Coverage Increased?
D) behind the scenes mobster/politician asset slapfighting?
E) all of the above!

Its more likely the owners of the factory burning it down to cover the embezzlement of state funds for orders they were just about to fulfill until the factory caught fire, honest, if its not saboteurs.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

TASS posted:

Kiev attempts 26 attacks in Soledar area, all of them repelled, Russian top brass reports

It is reported that Russian forces killed and wounded about 900 Ukrainian troops in the Donetsk area over the past day

MOSCOW, May 12. /TASS/. The Ukrainian military attempted over 20 attacks along the 95 km engagement line in the Soledar tactical area, with all the offensives repelled by Russian forces, Russia’s Defense Ministry Spokesman Lieutenant-General Igor Konashenkov reported on Friday.

"The Ukrainian army units attempted 26 attacks that involved over 1,000 personnel, up to 40 tanks and also other military and special equipment. All the attacks by the Ukrainian army were repelled. There were no breakthroughs of Russian defensive lines," the spokesman said.

Russian forces destroyed over 60 Ukrainian troops and neutralized an enemy subversive group in the Kupyansk area over the past day, Konashenkov reported

[...]

Russian forces destroyed over 75 Ukrainian troops and a motorized artillery gun in the Krasny Liman area over the past day, Konashenkov reported.

[...]

Russian forces killed and wounded about 900 Ukrainian troops in the Donetsk area over the past day, Konashenkov reported.

[...]

Russian forces gained a new frontier in the Maloilyinovka area to take advantage of the Berkhovskoye reservoir as they continued their combat operations in the Donetsk People’s Republic over the past day, Konashenkov reported.

[...]

Russian air defense forces shot down a Ukrainian Su-27 fighter jet near the settlement of Chasov Yar in the Donetsk People’s Republic (DPR) over the past day, Konashenkov reported.

[...]

Russian forces destroyed roughly 110 Ukrainian troops in the southern Donetsk and Zaporozhye areas over the past day, Konashenkov reported.

[...]

Russian forces destroyed roughly 40 Ukrainian troops and a motorized artillery system in the Kherson area over the past day, Konashenkov reported.

[...]

Russian forces eliminated two Ukrainian subversive groups in the Lugansk People’s Republic (LPR) over the past day, Konashenkov reported.

[...]

Russian forces destroyed a fuel depot of the Ukrainian army near the city of Zaporozhye over the past day, Konashenkov reported.

[...]

Russian air defense forces intercepted three rockets of the HIMARS and Uragan multiple launch rocket systems and destroyed 25 Ukrainian unmanned aerial vehicles over the past day, Konashenkov reported.

[...]

In all, the Russian Armed Forces have destroyed 422 Ukrainian combat aircraft, 230 helicopters, 4,099 unmanned aerial vehicles, 421 surface-to-air missile systems, 9,108 tanks and other armored combat vehicles, 1,100 multiple rocket launchers, 4,796 field artillery guns and mortars and 10,141 special military motor vehicles since the beginning of the special military operation in Ukraine, Konashenkov reported.

https://tass.com/politics/1616643

Why is Prigozhin so mad? Seems like Russia is doing great?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

I'm the 10,141 special military motor vehicles

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

coming soon to a ship near you: storm shadows

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
In all, the Russian Armed Forces have destroyed 422 Ukrainian combat aircraft, 230 helicopters, 4,099 unmanned aerial vehicles, 421 surface-to-air missile systems, 9,108 tanks and other armored combat vehicles, 1,100 multiple rocket launchers, 4,796 field artillery guns and mortars and 10,141 special military motor vehicles since the beginning of the special military operation in Ukraine, Konashenkov reported.

Loooooooooooooooooooool what

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

They've destroyed 10 more since that article was posted.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

beer_war posted:

https://tass.com/politics/1616643

Why is Prigozhin so mad? Seems like Russia is doing great?

Lmao

They are really just incapable of not lying aren't they?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Tai posted:

Loooooooooooooooooooool what

lol theyre just projecting their own casualties:

That awkward moment when you're in the Russian Federation and hackers play the Ukrainian folk song "Oh in the meadow, red viburnum" blasting from surveillance camera speakers:

https://v.redd.it/hkpnth6utbza1

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 12, 2023

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

EorayMel posted:

I'm the 10,141 special military motor vehicles

Yeah well I'm an enemy subversive group

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

HonorableTB posted:

lol theyre just projecting their own casualties:

You should take those figures with a big pinch of salt. Konashenkov's on another level, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

beer_war posted:

You should take those figures with a big pinch of salt. Konashenkov's on another level, though.

I take it with a small grain of salt and I'm inclined to believe these are more or less accurate given the amount of confirmed-visually kills there have been, plus the multiple waves of mobiks, all of that has to go somewhere and that somewhere is overwhelmingly the graveyard. I don't think there's much embellishment going on - some, to be sure, it is war and propaganda matters of course, but these casualties are in the reasonable range for several waves of 100k mobilization and the continued degradation of equipment quality. We wouldn't be seeing T-55s dragged out if there hadn't been several thousand better tanks destroyed already, and we know Russia's been running into a lot of manpower issues (Wagner cut off from prisons, no more prisoners to recruit from, mobilization has to be done in the frontiers and not the imperial centers).

Even looking historically, the Victory Day parades when the USSR was at war in Afghanistan, for example, were not nearly as anemic as what we're seeing now. There's a massive chance that the majority of the vehicles you saw deployed in Victory Day parades over the last ~30 years are burned out hulks rusting away in a Ukrainian field by this point

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 12, 2023