Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

HookShot posted:

From the article above:

Yeah, that's what I expected to happen. Taping the show doesn't involve any struck activity since all speech is ad-libbed, so they'll keep going until they run out of banked clues and/or willing hosts

I remember some of the late-night hosts in the 07-08 strike kept filming without scripts to keep their crews paid. It was half an hour of Jon Stewart shooting the poo poo with his pals every night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Good for Miyam :unsmith: Still don't like her as host but that was a legitimately good thing for her to do.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, she's a bad host but this was the right call and I'm glad she refused to host. I wish Ken had done it as well.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Spokes posted:

their dynamic really does highlight how goofy the casting for this is, it's "the guy we're constantly reminded went toe-to-toe with ken" versus 5 pretty good players from the last couple years. they couldn't wait two weeks until they get another superchamp? what's jonathan fisher doing?

James is in kind of a weird position because he came right at the end of Trebek’s run so he hasn’t been around as long as Brad or Ken. He doesn’t really fit in either generation of super champs

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HookShot posted:

Yeah, she's a bad host but this was the right call and I'm glad she refused to host. I wish Ken had done it as well.

Mayim is a WGA member. Ken is not. He's not being a scab by taping a day of shows next week, not if the clues were all written prior to the strike.

Were y'all calling Conan and Letterman scabs for going back to work during the last WGA strike, just without material from the writers (so they were all riffing off the cuff)?

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
:shrug: Letterman/his company did their own deal with the union and Conan's strike performance was best known for a running gag that was him making fun of how much the show sucked without writers and that they needed them back.

It's not like Ken is now cancelled or whatever, it just kind of sucks that he undercut her. No idea if the WGA actually wants to shut the production down though, guess we'll see if they picket when it's time.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 12, 2023

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Ken's in a lovely situation. The two-hosts unresolved thing means that the producers can play he and Mayim against each other. Especially with Call Me Kat being canceled, the producers can pretty credibly lean on him and ask him to ~prove his value to the franchise~ by stepping up when Mayim steps down.

By the same token, that makes Mayim's choice to not cross the picket line all the more braver: she's actually putting real skin in the game and risking her job here.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
imagine you were one of the people supposed to tape next week and you'd been waiting a lifetime for the chance. I'm a former shop steward in one of canada's biggest unions and you better believe your sweet rear end I'd be happy Ken was fulfilling the duties of his contract.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Timby posted:

Mayim is a WGA member. Ken is not. He's not being a scab by taping a day of shows next week, not if the clues were all written prior to the strike.

Were y'all calling Conan and Letterman scabs for going back to work during the last WGA strike, just without material from the writers (so they were all riffing off the cuff)?

Given as Sony has an active picket line and that to get to the set Ken has to cross it...

I was in college last time there was a strike and didn't especially give a poo poo, but yeah, while it might not *technically* count as scabbing it's a lovely look.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
If it means no more Mayim, I'm glad of it.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

HookShot posted:

Given as Sony has an active picket line and that to get to the set Ken has to cross it...

I was in college last time there was a strike and didn't especially give a poo poo, but yeah, while it might not *technically* count as scabbing it's a lovely look.

I'm not actually sure the guild has asked non-members to refuse to work on shows they're picketing. It could be scabbing for him to cross the picket line or it could be that it's not, according to what the guild is doing anyway

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I'm not actually sure the guild has asked non-members to refuse to work on shows they're picketing. It could be scabbing for him to cross the picket line or it could be that it's not, according to what the guild is doing anyway

The closest I can find is this Q&A with a guy from WGA who's been authorized to speak with the media about it. The questions are more about what writers who want to be future WGA members should be doing, or people who are WGA members but have non-writing roles: https://www.moviemaker.com/writers-strike-rules-pre-wga/

quote:

MovieMaker: I saw one writer-director online who said they were going to stop production of their short film now, in solidarity. I don’t know if they intended to sell it to anyone during the strike. But do you have a position on whether that’s the right thing to do?

Christopher Kyle: If they’re doing any kind of work for a covered company — even if the only work they would be doing is directing, because the script is finished — if they’re members, we’re encouraging them not to go forward with that. But that’s not something we can discipline. We can’t discipline someone for serving their director role, even on a script they wrote, if all they’re doing is directing and not doing any writing.

So that’s kind of a tricky area. It’s one where it’s not technically a violation. But we’ve been talking to showrunners on TV, and writer-directors, and encouraging them to postpone their projects, or put their projects on pause until after the strike.

We’re asking them to go beyond the rules themselves. We’re not going to discipline them for doing non-writing work. But we’re asking them in solidarity to not do it.

quote:

MovieMaker: You said “meetings” — that includes any meeting with a representative of a signatory in which you even talk hypothetically about a project?

Christopher Kyle: Even if it’s just a general meeting, like a “getting to know you,” not talking about a specific project. The spirit of the strike is that we’re trying to shut down the industry, and anything that can keep the wheels turning is something that is not helping us. So all our members, and anyone aspiring to be a member, should not be meeting with those companies right now.

So while this doesn't explicitly say that anyone who's not a member should refuse to work on a show that's being picketed, their goal is to shut down production on the shows, and so I think it's reasonable to assume the guild would consider J! going ahead during an active picket to be scabbing.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Nonunion members generally aren’t expected to strike. They have zero legal protections and can just be fired immediately.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

HookShot posted:

Yeah, if we're going to be pedantic it's not scabbing, just potentially crossing a picket line.

But also, yeah, going to be funny if this is a monkey's paw wish where Ken gets the permanent hosting gig because they're pissed at Mayim for not backing the show.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

The first daily double today may be the worst-written clue I've ever seen on Jeopardy

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

haveblue posted:

Yeah, that's what I expected to happen. Taping the show doesn't involve any struck activity since all speech is ad-libbed, so they'll keep going until they run out of banked clues and/or willing hosts

I remember some of the late-night hosts in the 07-08 strike kept filming without scripts to keep their crews paid. It was half an hour of Jon Stewart shooting the poo poo with his pals every night

Jon Stewart was also in a slightly different situation than the other late night hosts, because John Oliver, who worked for the Daily Show at the time, was on a work visa (or something) back then, so if he wasn't working, he would have had to go back to England. Stewart talked about it, and how the main reason they came back was so Oliver wasn't deported. I seem to remember it even being a bit between them in the first episode back, but I'm not sure.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Given Ken isn't part of any union, he'd be in all likelihood fired had he joined Mayim. Sony would say that with Call Me Kat canceled that Mayim can then take up being the sole permanent host once the strike ends.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

That might the worst competition I have ever seen from two challengers on Jeopardy.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I dont think ive ever hated a contestant more than the one who sat on $800 for 20 clues just so she could play a meaningless FJ.

but yeah they seem to feed the absolute worst of the worst to these champs sometimes

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HookShot posted:

Jennings isn't a WGA member. He isn't a member of SAG-AFTRA. He's doing a day of work to end a show's season, by delivering questions that were written in advance of the writers' strike.

It's not even scab-adjacent, he's just doing what he's contracted to do.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Even if he was SAG, this is what they are telling their members:

quote:

If you are contracted to work on a project that continues production while the WGA is on strike, you are legally obligated to continue working in any capacity covered by a SAG-AFTRA collective bargaining agreement by the “no strike” clause in our collective bargaining agreements. You can continue to audition for work if you choose to do so.

Like most unions, SAG-AFTRA has a no-strike clause in our Codified Basic Agreement, at Section 3, that states:

“The Union agrees that, during the effective term hereof, it will not call or engage in a strike affecting motion picture production against any Producer signatory hereto.”

Further in this section, the language reads:

“The Union agrees that it will take such affirmative action as may be necessary and lawful in order to require its members to perform their respective obligations under the provisions of this Section 3.”

SAG-AFTRA therefore advises its members to continue to work. The WGA is aware of the requirements of our no strike clause and our members’ individual personal service agreements, and the fact that the labor law protections that apply to striking workers do not apply to other workers whose contracts are still in effect. If you as an individual decide not to report to work as required, you may be subject to breach of contract claims or be subject to termination by the Producer.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
You're all right, I should have said crossing a picket line instead of scabbing.

Bialik isn't a member of WAG either, but she is part of SAG-AFTRA.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Gotta say, the Master's Tournament has humanized James for me a bit. I didn't especially care for him during his original run, but he's lightened up for these games and is easier to take.

Amy, Matt, Buttrey Males and Mattea are their usual likeable selves.

e: Also, sorry to see Hannah go. She had a good run.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Wouldn't have expected a run in on Jeopardy! but I suppose James would've had a shirt on WWEShop if my sister watched the show

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I thought the second Final was a bit obvious. Lemonade Lucy is one of the primary First Ladies you'd think of for something like that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

James is still a prick, but I'm getting a kick out of him trolling Ken because he so badly wants a rematch after Ken basically went "Sit down before you fall down, son," and schooled him in the GOAT tournament.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't think James lacks for self confidence, I'll say that. But I also get the sense that he's fairly self aware and willing to laugh at himself. All the joking with Ken strikes me as good natured.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

But I also get the sense that he's fairly self aware

Are you forgetting the website he launched right before his original run?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

e: Also, sorry to see Hannah go. She had a good run.

She got absolutely blistered by Ben. Hope it was nerves and not more of an indicator that the contestants she faced were beyond dire

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Uuugh, I was really enjoying Hannah's run and am not actually a fan of Ben.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Timby posted:

Are you forgetting the website he launched right before his original run?

People are capable of growing and learning from mistakes, in theory

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Sam Butery is such a joy to watch.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

RC and Moon Pie posted:

She got absolutely blistered by Ben. Hope it was nerves and not more of an indicator that the contestants she faced were beyond dire

I mean....they absolutely were. As soon as a decent player showed up it was a runaway.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

banned from Starbucks posted:

I mean....they absolutely were. As soon as a decent player showed up it was a runaway.

Hannah got by with mastery of the buzzer game and the (lack of) quality opponents.

That said, a seven-day run is nothing to sneeze at, so she'll probably be formidable in the Tournament of Champions.

DoctorWhat posted:

People are capable of growing and learning from mistakes, in theory

I've mentioned before that I have friends who played against him on the math team when he was going to Naper North in high school. He's always been an arrogant prick, according to them.

Timby fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 16, 2023

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Timby posted:

Hannah got by with mastery of the buzzer game and the (lack of) quality opponents.

That said, a seven-day run is nothing to sneeze at, so she'll probably be formidable in the Tournament of Champions.

I've mentioned before that I have friends who played against him on the math team when he was going to Naper North in high school. He's always been an arrogant prick, according to them.

Sure but I live in a post-Yogesh world so he doesn’t seem so bad now

Giga Pet giveaway
Jun 28, 2008

You're Not Welcome?

dovetaile posted:

Uuugh, I was really enjoying Hannah's run and am not actually a fan of Ben.

Ugh is right. Why did it have to be then? :(

Is there a logic to when they brought him back or just scheduling working out?
Why not wait for the streak to end and chuck him in at a one day champ?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I've enjoyed the Masters Tournament and seeing these champions again, but Jeopardy is milking it with this particular 'class' of champions. Not to pick on him but just as an example: this is at least the third or fourth time we've seen James. People are going to start getting tired of the same faces showing up.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

I've enjoyed the Masters Tournament and seeing these champions again, but Jeopardy is milking it with this particular 'class' of champions. Not to pick on him but just as an example: this is at least the third or fourth time we've seen James. People are going to start getting tired of the same faces showing up.

Don't worry, they're already planning another run of Celebrity Jeopardy to mix things up as part of the strike-breaking fall lineup :).

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

this is the weird thing to me (as i've kind of mentioned). james is an all-time great, yes. extremely good. incredible knowledge, optimal wagering, unparalleled FJ success, blah blah blah. record-setting regular season game after game, dominant ToC win, whatever. and everybody else in this is just the "best of the post-Alex crop". Some great players, certainly (Andrew in particular has really been showing out) but why did we have to get James agaiiiiiiiiiiiin? what about sam kavanaugh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Spokes posted:

this is the weird thing to me (as i've kind of mentioned). james is an all-time great, yes. extremely good. incredible knowledge, optimal wagering, unparalleled FJ success, blah blah blah. record-setting regular season game after game, dominant ToC win, whatever. and everybody else in this is just the "best of the post-Alex crop". Some great players, certainly (Andrew in particular has really been showing out) but why did we have to get James agaiiiiiiiiiiiin? what about sam kavanaugh?

2nd highest regular winnings in game history, Holds top 12 individual game winnings. Won a match at the GOAT and won the same amount of games as Ken. He is the de facto #2 player of all time it'll be de jure if he wins this.

Sam could've been busy, people have lives outside the show.