Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I didn't know multiple amiibo could give you Epona, nor did I know you could have 2 of her wandering about at once. That's a lucky pair of rolls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Traysi, you are gonna be everyone's new best friend. :stwoon:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Was there a shrine there? I think I found the same one and couldn't be out of there fast enough.

Found the same thing and managed to beat the hands using bombs. Then I found out the hands were just a prelude as Phantom Ganon showed up and one shot me.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
First impression after playing 15 minutes:

Rauru’s hair is magnificent.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Cleared out the equivalent of the plateau. This game rocks and honestly feels different enough that having played BotW recebtly only made me not suck at combat.

Now I'm go get the camera with Robbie in a chasm, what's the best way after? Kakariko or the Rito? Or is there something else I wanna unlock ASAP?

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
The ability you get from Rito makes it worth going to early.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

This dang game got me to buy that Wind Waker amiibo two pack…

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

CJ posted:

It just occurred to me yesterday what this was all about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uypf0_Le7BU

I mean I agree that the patent is nonsense (probably because of prior art, but I’m not a patent lawyer), but i literally laughed out loud when he suggested that Nintendo’s patent lawyers are doing filings by auto translating from Japanese.

I mean I wish they were. “Hey Nintendo, I’ll do your patent filings! I promise to write in actual sentences composed in English. $2000/hr”

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 13:40 on May 12, 2023

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I just played the first hour or so. Did they really leave cooking the same? So you can still cheese the entire game just by slamming down meals while climbing/fighting? I was hoping to see this changed.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Wildtortilla posted:

First impression after playing 15 minutes:

Rauru’s hair is magnificent.

:hmmyes:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh my god. One of the Shrines near the Rito village ends with literally the laser security sequence from the original Resident Evil movie. Dodge, dodge, gently caress-you laser wall.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I love how they use the constructs to teach you about different uses for Fuse by having them used against you.
not off the tutorial island yet but game is already incredible

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Cleared out the equivalent of the plateau. This game rocks and honestly feels different enough that having played BotW recebtly only made me not suck at combat.

Now I'm go get the camera with Robbie in a chasm, what's the best way after? Kakariko or the Rito? Or is there something else I wanna unlock ASAP?

Posted yesterday but here's the main stuff you want to unlock sooner rather than later.

After finishing the tutorial do the drat quest at the starter town and get your paraglider.

At some point early on do the follow up quests to unlock the full functionality of your iPad.

Great Fairy is unlocked at Woodland Stable to the north east of the starting town.

The path to Rito village from starting town has the Korok guy (he moves to starting town), the newspaper questline, and Impa's questline (near Serenne stable) which you're really going to want to unlock sooner rather than later.

A couple other things unlock at the starting town later on so come back after major story beats to check up on it.

You always want to fuse your weapon, unfused weapons do no damage and break a lot faster. Drop some monster parts and fuse it.

You can throw items by holding R then selecting it using the dpad, don't waste all your arrows when throwing will do.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Zelda has the Switch Pro!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Remembering from BoTW how annoying it was that there is no quickheal button other than going into your inventory.... Other than that is this game is awesome.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

junan_paalla posted:

Lift it up with god hand, put it back down, go stand on it and rewind until it's up in the air

Not sure I should get annoyed that you gave this tip instead of discovering it myself, because it’s possible it would take me half the game before I realized it otherwise

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Ugh I wish it would let me map dash to Y, jump to B and attack to A.

The X button has no business here, you silly goose.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Not sure if I'm just bugged or if I'm doing something wrong but I'm still on the tutorial area and I can't Use any of my hand powers. Like I'm in the ultrahand shrine and I can't activate anything. I'm hitting L bumper but nothing anywhere nor are there any prompts to do so. Or I'm in the ascension shrine and I can't levitate up through the floor. . Am I missing something really basic?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Fhqwhgads posted:

Not sure if I'm just bugged or if I'm doing something wrong but I'm still on the tutorial area and I can't Use any of my hand powers. Like I'm in the ultrahand shrine and I can't activate anything. I'm hitting L bumper but nothing anywhere nor are there any prompts to do so. Or I'm in the ascension shrine and I can't levitate up through the floor. . Am I missing something really basic?

If you hold down L, what's skill is selected?

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Fhqwhgads posted:

Maybe your L button isn't working??

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm such a loving idiot and will continue to be an idiot for the whole game.

I was trying my hardest to fuse a bunch of logs together to make a ramp to get up an unclimbable wall.
The logs to exactly fuse together like milled planks and walking on them is precarious AT BEST.

...you can just prop them up vertically and climb them like a normal tree. Me dumb love game.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Inzombiac posted:

I'm such a loving idiot and will continue to be an idiot for the whole game.

I was trying my hardest to fuse a bunch of logs together to make a ramp to get up an unclimbable wall.
The logs to exactly fuse together like milled planks and walking on them is precarious AT BEST.

...you can just prop them up vertically and climb them like a normal tree. Me dumb love game.

Oh you can...

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

External Organs posted:

If you hold down L, what's skill is selected?

I only have Ultrahand in the shrine . I just watched a video and a power wheel popped up but that never happened for me. I'll try again later but it felt like nothing I tried with LB did anything.

Edit

MokBa posted:

Maybe your L button isn't working??

I thought that might have been it too but it works in other games/the system.

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 12, 2023

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Harriet Carker posted:

I just played the first hour or so. Did they really leave cooking the same? So you can still cheese the entire game just by slamming down meals while climbing/fighting? I was hoping to see this changed.

The "pause the game and slam down food" aspect is unchanged but they did nerf it in a couple of ways--

- There's no convenient "go to the place that has 80 durians floating around", yellow-heart food is significantly less common in general
- You can only carry half as many prepared foods this time around
- There's a new mechanic that temporarily damages the heart containers in addition to dealing damage, so the containers can't be re-filled until they're undamaged via a different kind of food or other means
- The temporary heart damage mechanic mentioned above also treats all your yellow hearts as one red heart, so the first hit you take from any enemy with that mechanic in play will pop your temp health like a soap bubble

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 12, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just starting this morning and right off the bat I’m back on my old bullshit

https://i.imgur.com/4GPEiR1.mp4

Throwing low durability things at enemies so it smashes in their face was one of the big joys in BOTW. Now I get to do it with fused stuff??? GOTY

The cooking recipe book is fantastic, wish I could access straight from a cooking pot.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

word of caution when crafting stuff; dont leave it on the ground and then walk away too far to find more stuff. It will disappear from the gameworld.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Space Flower posted:

if you mean the capsules they're a one-way from inventory

Rats.

I'm going in circles at the bottomless cave what the hell am I doing

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Game's fun, but I think I need to dip from the thread till I'm finished. Have a good time, friends!

SirBukkake
Aug 24, 2006
Idk some black dude
When Link first wakes up at the sky island; seeing that weird mechanism and thinking, “this is something I can get to, but can’t just yet.” Is Zelda as gently caress and I love it.

Also, Hyrule hits so different without a paraglider goddamn. It’s almost treacherous even though it’s all so familiar.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Costco Meatballs posted:

That trick has so many utilities. I love sending a platform around a moblin base with ultra hand and then getting on it, recalling, and using it as a mobile aerial assault platform

Man I didn’t think of this I am not creative

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I have the day off but I still haven't finished BotW :(

Time to power thru it!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Man I didn’t think of this I am not creative

A lot of the shrines this time around are worth doing because they explicitly tutorialize a lot of the "oh poo poo you can do that?" stuff-- I don't remember where I picked up "recall elevator" from but it was 100% in a shrine

there's also at least one shrine I ran into that tried to tutorialize something and failed horribly because I still don't know what it was trying to get me to do, whoops

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

A second Zonai wing has hit the Temple of Time!

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
Sweet Jesus is Zelda’s voice acting grating. It’s so breathless and whiny… she sounds like she’s on the verge of tears even when she’s ostensibly happy or excited.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I have the game. Bless the maker and his water. Bless the comings and goings of him.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is there a way to the surface from the depths without fast travel? I've been warping but it feels like there should be a more organic way up, like places to use ascend or something--I haven't found any, and it kinda sucks having to warp somewhere I've already been to get out of the underground.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

My big new fear in this game is dying because I built a bridge or cart that failed and then not having the parts I need where I need them when I get there in my next life

Haha or you walked slightly too far away and it all disappeared.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Explored a bit more, found The Barbarian armor LMAO this early, and a stable and I can confirm yiu get your BotW horses back. And maybe the ancient horse gear is gotten from the points?

Battle Talos were a nasty surprise, I broke several good weapons on them but I guess they give back a good fusion mat?

Also it seems you need to need to start the newspaper quest to unlock the great fairy? Or so it seems since the ones who may help unlock her talk about that.

I miss infinite bombs and Cryo but game rocks hard.

EDIT: Okay, I do have a second complaint, no indication how to use the free materiald around the world to make moving cars.

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 12, 2023

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Watched Skillup's review, and I cannot believe this game is just 16 gigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I’m still on the opening area. Played last night for two and a half hours. Ultra hand is hard to get used to, and then it clicks.

You all weren’t kidding but it really does make BOTW feel like a tech demo. I’ve been vaguely spoiled of story/gameplay till just after this area, and I love that beyond that, it’s all mine to explore and I know nothing.

It’s fantastic, and fills me with joy.

It’s already GOTY.