Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Fivemarks posted:

Evangelion and its consequences have been a disaster for western mecha. Its a disaster that's being fixed now, but the late 90's, 2000's, and 2010s were pretty loving dire with people treating Evangelion as if its some kind of holy grail of mecha anime and the best thing ever and SO DEEP.

You could have just cut to the part where you hate Eva for the same arbitrary reasons as some early 2000's /m/ poster and saved us all some time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
In all honesty, Evangelion just isn't my thing. I recognize it as good, I just don't think it's as good as people say.

Unless we're talking about like, UI design, then holy gently caress I want NERV's UX designer to just design everything.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The control panels are really good!!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
What is the best mecha cockpit?

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

waiting for the post about how FF7 ruined RPGs when those dang teens started writing CloudxSephiroth fanfiction

also Voltron sucked because things happened arbitrarily. like how The Expanse introduces some kind of shocking plot developement partway through each season justify it not ending halfway through a season, but without any of the texture that makes swallowing it easier

it was also a show for young teens, so that sums up like 70% of the criticism you could make

Ramie fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 12, 2023

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Darth Walrus posted:

I remember the fight between berserker Asuka and Rei Q in 3.0 being pretty deece.

Without sitting down and gong through them again I feel like remember all the Eva vs Eva stuff still being pretty solid, but Angels (or pseudo-Angels? The real deal aren't much of a factor after 2.0 iirc) suffer from becoming increasingly abstract CG things.

It's the one aspect of Rebuild I do find a bit of a shame. 3.0 is a movie I like but it's CG is pretty poor at times in contrast to it's conventional animation being the best Eva had ever looked at that point.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gripweed posted:

Depends on what you're looking for in a cockpit. Zeta's linear seat, G's mobile trace system, the weird hand chair in Rahxephon, Eva's tube, etc etc are all going for very different things and it's hard to make a value judgement on which is "best."

But anyways, the answer is Big O's.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i like the ones from full metal panic but the show doesn't really show too much of them because it's a really tight fit

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gripweed posted:

I'm torn between Arm Slaves and the Original Seven for entirely different reasons.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gripweed posted:

The pre-upgrade Gypsy Danger control pod, mainly because those practical sets mounted on a gigantic gimbal system are so drat cool. It's the G Gundam mobile trace system converted into gears and hydraulics.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Arc Hammer posted:

The pre-upgrade Gypsy Danger control pod, mainly because those practical sets mounted on a gigantic gimbal system are so drat cool.

oh yeah, with all the giant pipes behind them and the spinning engines visible below them, it really gets across the idea of being in the heart of this giant mechanical beast.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like it better than the one later in the movie where there's more digital stuff and touch screens.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Always like VOTOM's cockpits. Just a couple inches of steel between you and death, love it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Shout out Big O, cockpit entrance is the tops

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
most valkyrie cockpits look pretty cool too but that's just purely great art

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEEvuYoKuFs

The sheer effort that went into the conn pod design is so loving cool.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

catgirlgenius posted:

waiting for the post about how FF7 ruined RPGs when those dang teens started writing CloudxSephiroth fanfiction

also Voltron sucked because things happened arbitrarily. like how The Expanse introduces some kind of shocking plot developement partway through each season justify it not ending halfway through a season, but without any of the texture that makes swallowing it easier

it was also a show for young teens, so that sums up like 70% of the criticism you could make

the expanse has a similar excuse as it was made from a tabletop game and has to accommodate delaying tactics while the gm figures out what the hell happens next

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mister Olympus posted:

the expanse has a similar excuse as it was made from a tabletop game and has to accommodate delaying tactics while the gm figures out what the hell happens next

It also solved players dropping out of the sessions by blowing their heads off with stray projectiles.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
The Eva cockpit will always be my favourite for this one shot of Asuka in End of Eva. When she's underwater in the fetal position they show her upside down and the cockpit's outline forms the silhouette of a woman and even as a teen I thought that was such a neat visual.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!
Is there a Macross general thread? Could’ve sworn there was at one point but a quick scan couldn’t find it.

Anyway. Finally got round to giving Delta a shot and marathoned the show and the movies over a couple of days. I did enjoy it a bunch - nowhere near as bad as people complained - but it is weirdly much worse than Frontier but simultaneously weirdly derivative in a lot of ways (Hayate being very similar to Alto, Roid’s goals vs Grace’s etc).

I have to say, however, I really love Macross Delta’s commitment, in its entirety, to dunking on Mirage on ever possible opportunity. Going in I was worried she was going to be another flawless badass like Max or Millia, but going the opposite route and just have everyone constantly comment on how poo poo she is was hilarious.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I thought it was pretty lovely and mean-spirited.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Gripweed posted:

I like the cockpits from King Ohger and Pacific Rim.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Fivemarks posted:

I like the cockpits from King Ohger and Pacific Rim.

By any chance have you ever seen the cockpits in Escaflowne?

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

AtheistMantis posted:

By any chance have you ever seen the cockpits in Escaflowne?

Those are also very rad.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Schwarzwald posted:

But anyways, the answer is Big O's.

Came in here to post this. That poo poo looks like the Chernobyl nerve center had a baby with the VIP table at a really nice jazz club.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
btw it's not fair to discuss the best cockpits without tipping your hat to the worst one

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
What in the gently caress is that poo poo

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Shazaminator posted:

Is there a Macross general thread? Could’ve sworn there was at one point but a quick scan couldn’t find it.

Anyway. Finally got round to giving Delta a shot and marathoned the show and the movies over a couple of days. I did enjoy it a bunch - nowhere near as bad as people complained - but it is weirdly much worse than Frontier but simultaneously weirdly derivative in a lot of ways (Hayate being very similar to Alto, Roid’s goals vs Grace’s etc).

Delta mainly suffers from following Frontier and not doing the same level of character development. It's far from being a bad show, but the two main characters both complete their personal journeys by episode 5. In contrast, Sheryl and Alto are growing and changing throughout Frontier.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007

Marx Headroom posted:

btw it's not fair to discuss the best cockpits without tipping your hat to the worst one

God this series was a mess in so many ways

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Shazaminator posted:

God this series was a mess in so many ways

The arc of public perception of that show as it was airing was wild. “What is this pervert show” -> “I’m sobbing this is so good, a new classic!” -> “man gently caress that show”

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Apprentice Dick posted:

What in the gently caress is that poo poo

Darling in the FranXX, a show about robots that are like, that, but also nobody is allowed to know what relationships are for some reason. I never watched it since the premise was offputting and from the sidelines all I heard was it going for the most basic beats and defusing anything potentially interesting.

It's also the sort of show that's focused on relationships and romance literally and thematically but only acknowledges the existence of people that aren't straight once and they're the one character in the protag group who gets incurably inflicted with plot cancer

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Delta mainly suffers from following Frontier and not doing the same level of character development. It's far from being a bad show, but the two main characters both complete their personal journeys by episode 5. In contrast, Sheryl and Alto are growing and changing throughout Frontier.

Yeah, absolutely. Hayate and Freyja’s arcs felt fairly flat by comparison. Mirage I’m not sure what they were going for - she mentions a couple of times not wanting to be compared to Max and Milia and wanting to be her own person, but then outside of those two, maybe three lines of dialogue there’s nothing to do with her character that reflects that sentiment so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I will say, at least for the TV show, it was refreshing and a feels-good moment to have the male and female lead unambiguously declare their love for each other and end the series in a relationship, happily ever after, for as long as that lasts. Conversely Zettai Live’s ending was beautifully bittersweet even if the a lot of the movie was a bit of a mess.

Max did kind of steal the show in the second movie though. It was funny how much they hyped up the Kairos Plus and then Max is out there in an eight year old YF-29 mopping the floor with everyone.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Motto posted:

It's also the sort of show that's focused on relationships and romance literally and thematically but only acknowledges the existence of people that aren't straight once and they're the one character in the protag group who gets incurably inflicted with plot cancer

Now now, ifI recall it also acknowledges the idea of genderfluidity and homosexuality by having the oppressive governments team of evil mech pilots all have non-normative pilot combos like guys taking the bottom position and m/m or f/f pilot pairings!

God, franxx was poo poo

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I recall there was a lesbian couple and a femdom couple in Godannar. How was Godannar more progressive than this?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Now now, ifI recall it also acknowledges the idea of genderfluidity and homosexuality by having the oppressive governments team of evil mech pilots all have non-normative pilot combos like guys taking the bottom position and m/m or f/f pilot pairings!

God, franxx was poo poo

Is this some Shinzo Abe "please have babies" poo poo?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Nessus posted:

I recall there was a lesbian couple and a femdom couple in Godannar. How was Godannar more progressive than this?

I believe the ultimate consensus was that Franxx was literally written as shinzo abe-style “have sex and save the declining birthrate” propaganda.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Nessus posted:

GaoGaiGar genes leaking o- Oh wait poo poo there was also the Incest British Couple.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Godannar was committed to having as many different types of relationships as they could think of, unfortunately that was one of them.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Darling in the FranXX was weird as all hell. It was remarkably chaste for a show that has its cockpits look like that, it acknowledges that gay people exist and have issues existing in a heteronormative society but still treats their gay character badly, it focuses on the lovely government for most of the show but then suddenly becomes a show about space aliens...

Yeah it's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The closest FranXX ever got to a coherent political message was, unfortunately, fairly orthodox paleoconservatism (yes, even with the alien space vampires corrupting society to erase traditional gender roles - I'll leave it to your imagination what real-world paleocons think those are).