Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Ah, so he "retired" like so many disgraced people in politics and business "resign."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Feel free to paste the contents, the page can't be viewed in EU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Beeswax posted:

Feel free to paste the contents, the page can't be viewed in EU

This is a straight copy/paste of the article, google translated from Japanese. I've made no attempts to edit it for readability.

quote:

Former sekiwake Ichinoseki (30), who announced his sudden retirement at the Ryogoku Kokugikan on May 4, spent days drowning in alcohol and refused to practice until just before that, according to an interview with "Weekly Bunshun". have understood.

At a press conference where his master Minato Oyakata (former Makuuchi member Minato Fuji) was also present, he said that the reason for his retirement was "worsening back pain", but it was related to the supporters' association of the room. A person tells the truth. "It's true that back pain had become chronic, but that's just the ostensible reason. Since April, Ichinojo has skipped training without permission and has been drinking and drinking. The reason he took the form of retirement was not dismissal. , It was the master's last 'parental affection'." The rift in the teacher-student relationship dates back to the fall of 2021.

Master Minato made Ichinoshiro live in a sumo stable in Kawaguchi City, Saitama Prefecture, but it was discovered that Ichinoshiro secretly slipped out night after night and went out to Mongolian pubs with his Mongolian friends. Ichinojo, who was reprimanded by Master Minato, is said to have vented his dissatisfaction that he was not accepted to live alone. “The reason why the master and his wife kept Ichinojo in the sumo stable was because they were concerned about his bad drinking habit. (Same as above) As a result of the discussion, Ichinojo, who wanted to be independent, vowed to refrain from drinking, so Master Minato allowed him to live alone at the end of 2021. However, in less than two months, Ichinosero drank too much and skipped the morning practice. After being scolded by his master again, Ichinojo later declared to Master Minato: "From now on, I won't talk to my master unless I go through a lawyer." While the teacher-student relationship is dysfunctional, Ichinojo won the Nagoya tournament for the first time in July last year. However, the following month, Ichinosero got drunk and made a hole in the work of the Japan Sumo Association. Even after that, Ichinojo's behavior did not improve, and Master Minato reported to the association as follows. ``Ichinojo doesn't listen to anything.

At the end of the same year, the Sumo Association took disciplinary action against the master and pupil, and Ichinojo was suspended from participating in one tournament. Ichinoshiro vowed to abide by the rules of the Sumo Association and the rules of the room, and once again declared abstinence from alcohol. In March of this year, after the suspension, Ichinojo won the juryo championship in Osaka, but immediately after that, at the end of March, a decisive “incident” occurred. "Ichinoshiro invited many friends to his room, and they're getting drunk and making noise. It's noisy and annoying." Master Minato immediately warns Ichinojo. After that, he lost contact with Ichinojo and stopped coming to practice. On the other hand, around his apartment, Ichinojo was often seen drinking until the early hours of the morning. ``It seems unlikely that he will change his mind anymore, and the master decided that there was no other way but to retire from Ichinojo.

It was two days before the retirement interview that the discussion finally came true. It is said that when the master pressed for a decision, Ichinojo replied lightly. "Then I'll quit." After the retirement interview, Kozhi hit Master Minato directly. ――Isn't the real reason for your retirement the collapse of the teacher-student relationship? "It's as I said at the press conference. However, if you feel that way from the side, I can't say anything." Bunshun” released on May 10th (Wednesday), the trouble with alcohol that Ichinojo caused in the past, the “disconnection” with the master who only talks through a lawyer, and the Mongolian connections that flocked to Ichinojo, Minato Report on detailed questions and answers when hitting the master directly.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

weekly tabloids in japan do actual journalism sometimes, but they are still tabloids. i would take that story with a grain of salt, especially since the subject of it is a foreigner.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Khizan posted:

This is a straight copy/paste of the article, google translated from Japanese. I've made no attempts to edit it for readability.

I like this theoretical universe of an entire stable full of misbehaving Ichino- rikishi partying all the time :allears:

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

:siren: Fantasy Sumo :siren:

Since no one has picked it up, I've taken it upon myself to organize this sort of last minute! We'll be moving forward with fantasy for this Basho however this will be considered an exhibition only. Standings will not count towards a Goonzuke ranking, as Kenning hasn't posted one after the last Basho for understandable reasons. Let's keep the fighting spirit of this thread going, however, and show the world what our sumo consists of. Hakkeyoi!!

code:
Terunofuji 	  Yokozuna	
		          Ozeki		Takakeisho 
Kiribiyama       Sekiwake 1	Hoshoryu
Daieisho	  Sekiwake 2	Wakamotoharu
Kotonowaka	  Komusubi 1	
Shodai		  Kumusubi 2	
Abi	                   M1	       Midorifuji
Takayasu          M2	        Endo
Tobizaru           M3	        Nishikifuji
Ura         	           M4	        Nishikigi
Kinbozan          M5	        Kotoshoho
Meisi	           M6	        Mikateumi
Hokutofuji         M7	        Tamawashi
Sadanoumi       M8	        Takanosho
Onosho   	    M9 		Hiradoumi
Ryuden		    M10		Takarafuji
Hokuseiho	    M11		Daishoho
Aoiyama	    M12		Kotoeko
Chiyoshoma	    M13		
Asanoyama 	    M14		Myogiryu
Ichiyamamoto   M15		Tsurugisho
Mitoryu   	    M16		Oho
Kagayaki            M17
If you're new to the thread or new to sumo you should try out playing fantasy, it really helps you follow storylines around the basho.

We have an Ozeki back this time around! Hooray! We also have a M17 for this basho which could make for some movement at the lower ranks.

Please enter your draft in the following format:

Y/O:
rikishi1
rikishi2
rikishi3

S/K:
rikishi1
rikishi2
rikishi3

M1-5:
rikishi1
rikishi2
rikishi3

M6-10:
rikishi1
rikishi2
rikishi3

M11+:
rikishi1
rikishi2
rikishi3

If you've never played Fantasy before, check out the rules. In brief: just choose 3 guys at each rank, and you'll be drafted a team of dudes. That's all you really need to do, although you can trade during the first week if you want (most people don't). It's really fun and helps you get more familiar with lower-ranked guys.

Get your draft picks in by midnight Pacific time. I will do the draft for Sunday! Sumo Banzai!!

Robviously fucked around with this message at 13:00 on May 12, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
:siren: Fantasy notes: :siren:

Don't pick Wakatakakage, he will not be in this tournament.

Don't pick Ichinojo, he has announced retirement (and thus won't be in any tournament ever)

Other absences will be announced on this page, currently none (besides WTK) are listed.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Thanks for doing this! Here are my choices

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Kiribayama
Daeisho

M1-5:
Takayasu
Ura
Midorifuji

M6-10:
Hokutofuji
Onosho (not acutally sure if he is injured or not)
Meisei

M11+:
Asanoyama
Hokuseiho
Oho

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho

S/K:
Kiribayama
Hoshoryu
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Abi
Ura
Nishikifuji

M6-10:
Tamawashi
Onosho
Takanosho

M11+:
Asanoyama
Hokuseiho
Ichiyamamoto

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Kiribayama
Wakamotoharu

M1-M5:
Nishikifuji
Takayasu
Ura

M6-M10:
Takanosho
Tamawashi
Meisei

M11+:
Asanoyama
Hokuseiho
Daishoho

I'd completely missed that Kinbozan got rocketed up to M5 :eyepop: Reckon he's in for an absolute belting at that rank...

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Hoshoryu
Kiribayama

M1-5:
Kinbozan
Ura
Takayasu

M6-M10:
Onosho
Tamawashi
Hiradoumi

M11+:
Asanoyama
Hokuseiho
Daishoho

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Y/O:
Takakeisho
Terunofuji

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Kiribayama
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Midorifuji
Kinbozan
Tobizaru

M6-10:
Hokutofuji
Takanosho
Onosho

M11+:
Kotoeko
Ichiyamamoto
Oho

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Robviously posted:

:siren: Fantasy Sumo :siren:

Since no one has picked it up, I've taken it upon myself to organize this sort of last minute! We'll be moving forward with fantasy for this Basho however this will be considered an exhibition only. Standings will not count towards a Goonzuke ranking, as Kenning hasn't posted one after the last Basho for understandable reasons. Let's keep the fighting spirit of this thread going, however, and show the world what our sumo consists of. Hakkeyoi!!

code:
Terunofuji 	  Yokozuna	
		          Ozeki		Takakeisho 
Kiribiyama       Sekiwake 1	Hoshoryu
Daieisho	  Sekiwake 2	Wakamotoharu
Kotonowaka	  Komusubi 1	
Shodai		  Kumusubi 2	
Abi	                   M1	       Midorifuji
Takayasu          M2	        Endo
Tobizaru           M3	        Nishikifuji
Ura         	           M4	        Nishikigi
Kinbozan          M5	        Kotoshoho
Meisi	           M6	        Mikateumi
Hokutofuji         M7	        Tamawashi
Sadanoumi       M8	        Takanosho
Onosho   	    M9 		Hiradoumi
Ryuden		    M10		Takarafuji
Hokuseiho	    M11		Daishoho
Aoiyama	    M12		Kotoeko
Chiyoshoma	    M13		
Asanoyama 	    M14		Myogiryu
Ichiyamamoto   M15		Tsurugisho
Mitoryu   	    M16		Oho
Kagayaki            M17
If you're new to the thread or new to sumo you should try out playing fantasy, it really helps you follow storylines around the basho.

We have an Ozeki back this time around! Hooray! We also have a M17 for this basho which could make for some movement at the lower ranks.

Please enter your draft in the following format:

Y/O:
rikishi1
rikishi2
rikishi3

S/K:
rikishi1
rikishi2
rikishi3

M1-5:
rikishi1
rikishi2
rikishi3

M6-10:
rikishi1
rikishi2
rikishi3

M11+:
rikishi1
rikishi2
rikishi3

If you've never played Fantasy before, check out the rules. In brief: just choose 3 guys at each rank, and you'll be drafted a team of dudes. That's all you really need to do, although you can trade during the first week if you want (most people don't). It's really fun and helps you get more familiar with lower-ranked guys.

Get your draft picks in by midnight Pacific time. I will do the draft for Sunday! Sumo Banzai!!

I'm not going to draft a team for this tournament but I will keep track of wins, losses and other points from the rikishi here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qJhrRTrTIcoUl5PmpojBEb-i3z4cD-MXz4SPRTKARvo/edit?usp=sharing

I'm not going to keep track of individual scores, but it should be pretty easy for someone to keep track of their own score with a quick look at the sheet.

It's open for everyone to view.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Thank you Robviously for taking the reins and organising this exhibition tournament!

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Terunofuji

S/K:
Daieisho
Wakamotoharu
Hoshoryu

M1-5:
Abi
Takayasu
Tobizaru

M6-10:
Hokutofuji
Mikateumi
Takarafuji

M11+:
Hokuseiho
Aoiyama
Asanoyama

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Awesome! Last second hana-sumo is good to see.

Y/O
- Terunofuji
- Takakeisho

S/K
- Wakamotoharu
- Kiribayama
- Hoshoryu

M1-5
- Ura
- Takayasu
- Nishikigi

M6-10
- Tamawashi
- Hiradoumi
- Meisei

M11+
- Kotoeko
- Aoiyama
- Hokuseiho

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Y/O
Takakeisho
Terunofuji

S/K
Kiribayama
Hoshoryu
Kotonowaka

M1-5
Takayasu
Kinbozan
Kotoshoho

M6-10
Takanosho
Mitakuemi
Onosho

M11+
Asanoyama
Hokuseiho
Kotoeko

Y/O: Don't know which of Taka/Teru is healthier, but Taka is more desperate. He might pull a fight until he gets 8/knows he can't and pull out though.

S/K: Always root for the Ozeki/Yoko run. Unless it's like Ryuden or something.

M1-5: Tough pick between the sentimental favourite old dude and the up and comer.

M6-10: This always seems to be the boring part of the banzuke. All the really good guys maybe make a stop here on the way up, but other than that it's either guys on the way down, guys stuck in the middle here and bottom rankers who had a good tourney that are going to get wrecked.

M11+: Asanoyama destroying everyone at this level is inevitable, right?

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Nice one Robviously!

Y/O:

Terunofuji
Takakeisho

S/K:
Daieisho
Kiribayama
Hoshoryu

M1-5:
Kotoshoho
Takayasu
Tobizaru

M6-10:
Tamawashi
Hokutofuji

Hiradoumi

M11+:
Asanoyama
Kagayaki
Hokuseiho

Pumped for this, weird banzuke this time and it's not a bad set up for Asanoyama to come absolutely steaming out of the gate - with a creaky top of the banzuke it could be very interesting, but I wouldn't be disappointed with a rejuvenated Teru stamping his authority on things either.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Yes, I will participate in this exhibition basho to continue practicing my brand of fantasy sumo!

Y/O:
Takakeisho
Terunofuji

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Kotonowaka
Hoshoryu

M1-5:
Takayasu
Midorifuji
Kotoshoho

M6-10:
Hokutofuji
Tamawashi
Mitakeumi

M11+:
Chiyoshoma
AOIYAMA
Daishoho

I do not believe Teru will make it all fifteen days. He seemed tentative in the practice matches in front of the Yokozuna committee, and while his knees are no doubt better I think his remaining career basho can be counted on one hand. I also hope I am totally wrong and he is once again an unstoppable kaiju at the top of the chart.

Wakamotoharu's interview on Sumo Prime Time made me fall in love with the guy even more than I already had, and I think he'll have the tournament of his life. He's inspired by his brother and fighting as his proxy. He's gonna win it all.

I will pick Papayasu until the sad but well-earned day of his retirement, which I hope is a long time from now.

I don't hate Asanoyama but I feel picking him - especially in an exhibition context - is too easy. I'll get my value from my favorite henka machine, or failing that, the "fading Bulgarian" who keeps on fighting to the apparent consternation of Chris Sumo.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

In the spirit of sumo I am going to go kyujo intentionally this time since my rank will be preserved regardless. May this be a lesson to Kenning to never do something as dishonorable as choosing to have a wedding instead of running fantasy sumo again.

In all seriousness though, congrats Kenning!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I miss tochinoshin

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I can't believe another basho is upon us!

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho

S/K:
Kiribayama
Wakamotoharu
Hoshoryu

M1-5:
Abi
Ura
Midorifuji

M6-10:
Tamawashi
Onosho
Ryuden

M11+:
Asanoyama
Hokuseiho
Ichiyamamoto

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

My heya is looking forward to this extended Goongyo Tour:

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Kiribiyama
Shodai

M1-5:
Endo
Abi
Tobizaru

M6-10:
Ryuden
Tamawashi
Hokutofuji

M11+:
Asanoyama
Hokuseiho
Chiyoshoma

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Thank you for running the exhibition tour, folks!

Y/O
Terunofuji
Takakeisho

S/K
Kiribayama
Hoshoryu
Daiesho

M1-5
Takayasu
Ura
Midorfuji

M6-10
Hokutofuji
Tamawashi
Onosho

M11+
Asanoyama
Hokuseiho
Chiyoshoma

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!
Let's see if I can run it back for an exhibition like I did for the last basho.

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Shodai
Kiribiyama

M1-5:
Abi
Nishikifuji
Midorifuji

M6-10:
Tamawashi
Sadanoumi
Hiradoumi

M11+:
Hokuseiho
Asanoyama
Daishoho

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Man, M6-10 is a loving graveyard this time around.

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Kiribayama
Hoshoryu

M1-5:
Abi
Nishikifuji
Takayasu

M6-10:
Hiradoumi
Onosho
Takanosho

M11+:
Asanoyama
Hokuseiho
Aoiyama

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Kotonowaka
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Kotoshoho
Nishikifuji
Tobizaru

M6-10:
Tamawashi
Meisei
Hokutofuji

M11+:
Hokuseiho
Aoiyama
Kotoeko

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Khizan posted:

Man, M6-10 is a loving graveyard this time around.

Yeah, it's a tough row to hoe.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Isn't keisho also injured? I seem to recall he was out at the end of the last tournament with an injury suspected to take multiple months to heal.

I think I'll also skip this tournament. Congrats in advance to asanoyama getters. I suspect he'll tear up the lower ranks.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Takakeisho is essentially always injured but he's kadoban so he doesn't have much choice, good chance he'll show up on the official absent list eventually, but he hasn't yet.

Akiosan
May 21, 2005

We have to first get out of this bar, then the hotel, then the city, and then the country.

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho

S/K:
Kiribiyama
Kotonowaka
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Kinbozan
Abi
Midorifuji

M6-10:
Onosho
Hiradoumi
Tamawashi

M11+:
Hokuseiho
Asanoyama
Oho

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takekeisho

S/K:
Daieisho
Kotonowaka
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Kinbozan
Abi
Tobizaru

M6-10:
Tamawashi
Ryuden
Sadanoumi

M11+:
Asanoyama
Oho
Kagayaki

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takekeisho

S/K:
Kiribayama
Hoshoryu
Shodai

M1-5:
Kinbozan
Abi
Tobizaru

M6-10:
Hokutofuji
Takanosho
Tamawashi

M11+:
Asanoyama
Hokuseiho
Kotoeko

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 14, 2023

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Thanks Robviously for running an exhibition and massive congratulations to Kenning again for his wedding!

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Wakamotoharu
Kiribayama

M1-5:
Tobizaru
Ura
Endo

M6-10:
Hokutofuji
Tamawashi
Takanosho

M11+:
Kotoeko
Hokuseiho
Asanoyama

Comments
Y/O: Wishful thinking on my part that Terunofuji is going to be coming back at full strength, perhaps.

S/K: Never not Hoshoryu. I fell in love with his style of sumo from watching my very first basho and have never looked back. Failing that, always happy to see Wakamotoharu do well and a successful Kiribayama Ozeki run would be great.

M1-5: I love watching Tobizaru fight, possibly even more than Hoshoryu. He's been putting up some fantastic bouts lately, really playing to his strengths (speed and mobility) and learning to disengage and rapidly shift his angles of attack to defeat larger, stronger opponents. I always worry there's a cap on how far his physique will take him but I don't think I'll ever tire of watching him strive. Ura is entertaining if nothing else and way more entertaining when he isn't tanking my fantasy score :v:. Endo I'm not super familiar with and so have thrown him in final place so that if I do get him, I'll learn a bit more about him!

M6-10:
Oof. Uh. These are all rikishi who I think have pulled off some cool stuff at one point or another but I don't have any super strong feelings about any of them. Rough bracket.

M11+:
Kotoeko always gives it his all and I think at M12 he'll put up some strong showings - though unfortunately like Ura, he's another rikishi that I'm happier to watch when he isn't in my fantasy stable. I missed a lot of the last basho so I'd like to pay some proper attention to Hokuseiho and see what he's got. Asanoyama is an easy pick so I put him last, but a fun one regardless.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Mode 7 posted:

Y/O: Wishful thinking on my part that Terunofuji is going to be coming back at full strength, perhaps.

I don't think he'll be at full strength, but I do think that whatever condition he is in will be better than a Takakeisho who shouldn't be competing at all but feels forced into it because he's kadoban.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

That's true, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him kyujo before the end of the basho.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Yokozuna (of my heart) : Tochinoshin

:3: he's training again i believe in him

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Who’s ready for Sumo?? I’m ready for Sumo :supaburn:

Mode 7 posted:

That's true, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him kyujo before the end of the basho.

You know who’s going to be kyujo? This dude. Seems to be stuck in the station :negative:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

SUMO SUMO SUMO SUMO

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Y/O:
Teru
Takakeisho
rikishi3

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Kotonowaka
Shodai

M1-5:
Kinbozan
Endo
Kotoshoho

M6-10:
Tamawashi
Takarafuji
Takanosho

M11+:
Asanoyama
Tsurogisho
Mitoryu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Y/o:
Terunofuji
Takakeisho

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Wakamotoharu
Kiribayama

M1-5:
Tobizaru
Nishikifuji
Ura

M6-10:
Mitakeumi
Hokutofuji
Meisei

M11+:
Hokuseiho
Kotoeko
Daishoho

Knowing my luck, I'll win the whole thing when it doesn't count. At the very least, I picked the right Nishiki this time around.