Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Game owns all the loving bones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I thought “held together by glue” was a figure of speech. But attached objects really do look glued on.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

BurntCornMuffin posted:

My goal is to find a boar, fuse its meat to my blade and defeat Ganondorf with a pork sword.

THE SWINEHANDER

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

ITT we are Hylian nationalists and whenever a shrine is completed we become very, very mad for reasons that we refuse to elaborate.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Just did my first tower and dove straight back in, killing myself instantly.

My stomach hurts from laughing.

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

a tree just came to life and attacked me. why did that happen

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

epic bacon posted:

a tree just came to life and attacked me. why did that happen

revenge for botw

I've been dumping rupees into pony points and as far as I can tell, after the 50% off reward it's just been alternating between 3 endura carrots and 5 sleepover tickets

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I was worried that Amazon was going to screw me over, tracking kept on saying delivery by 11pm, it just got delivered! I was going to turn it on to get the day one patch, and to at least boot up the title screen, but nope, they throw you right into the game. I still have 2.5 more hours of work yet today, so I forced myself to turn the Switch off.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is there anyway to get back to the beginning of the Sky Island cave? Hit the title drop and realized I was supposed to pick up a shirt while I was in there.

Is it the cold weather shirt? Where is it?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm sorry but the starter island has some really loving stupid level design. Progression to the third and final shrine wasn't really clear, so I was following what I assumed was the correct path. I came out of the bottomless mine or pit or whatever it's called and couldn't find a way up to the shrine as all the walls were ice. I figured there might be a path up further down the trail, so onwards I went. It took me to a little waterfall thing that required me to hop down, but the way back up is all sheer ice so I couldn't get back up. I still didn't realise I'd hosed up and was looking for some kind of internal cave that lead upwards, before realising I have just reset myself all the way back to the start without being able to get to the shrine.

Red is the path I took after exiting bottomless mines, once you fall down the little cliff that looks easily climbable until you realise it's ice and not rock, you have to follow the green path all the way back round again. Absolutely ridiculous. I know I'm an idiot, but I'm not that much of an idiot. I circled the entire pillar that had the shrine on top and couldn't see anything but ice. I realise now I should have climbed the roots. My brain just considered it backdrop and I thought there'd be a more obvious way up.

I put the Switch to sleep and will do it tomorrow because I really can't be bothered dealing with the 30 minute backtracking.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 12, 2023

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

After seeing the first equivalent to a BotW memory, I gotta say.

This game should have been called The Legend of Link: A Zelda to the Past.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica

Qubee posted:

I'm sorry but the starter island has some really loving stupid level design. Progression to the third and final shrine wasn't really clear, so I was following what I assumed was the correct path. I came out of the bottomless mine or pit or whatever it's called and couldn't find a way up to the shrine as all the walls were ice. I figured there might be a path up further down the trail, so onwards I went. It took me to a little waterfall thing that required me to hop down, but the way back up is all sheer ice so I couldn't get back up. I still didn't realise I'd hosed up and was looking for some kind of internal cave that lead upwards, before realising I have just reset myself all the way back to the start without being able to get to the shrine.

Red is the path I took after exiting bottomless mines, once you fall down the little cliff that looks easily climbable until you realise it's ice and not rock, you have to follow the green path all the way back round again. Absolutely ridiculous. I know I'm an idiot, but I'm not that much of an idiot. I circled the entire pillar that had the shrine on top and couldn't see anything but ice. I realise now I should have climbed the roots. My brain just considered it backdrop and I thought there'd be a more obvious way up.

I put the Switch to sleep and will do it tomorrow because I really can't be bothered dealing with the 30 minute backtracking.

Stitching trees together and climbing them lets you bypass just about everything to do with getting up to the cold shrine

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Costco Meatballs posted:

Stitching trees together and climbing them lets you bypass just about everything to do with getting up to the cold shrine

Ffs I should have done that

On another topic, I'm liking all the QoL additions, but I really wish we were given the option to mass-cook certain stuff. Sometimes I wanna cook a bunch of 1-heart sauteed spice peppers just for the cold bonus. Having to do the steps over and over sucks big time. Being able to say I want to make x of a dish would be chef's kiss.

SirBukkake
Aug 24, 2006
Idk some black dude
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom; Starring Launchpad McQuack

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

These flightless birds are not especially great at running away. Much easier to hunt than the boars of the great plateau.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Qubee posted:

Cut trees, make a 5 log length log, prop it up against cliff, climb it like a bear

Edit: fb

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Some talented artist should make a killing selling botw "ancient scroll art" style throwrugs with your link doing all sorts of dumb poo poo.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Qubee posted:

Just stack some logs together end on end to make a giant "log" you can climb up.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

link's hair is really pretty, i'm envious of it and i'm mad about that :mad:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fast travel unlocked :getin:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Blaziken386 posted:

hi i just jumped into a chasm and hey, game? what the gently caress

I was not prepared. This is why I went in completely blind and tuned out of seeing any recent gameplay stuff or trailers because holy loving poo poo.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Inzombiac posted:

Just did my first tower and dove straight back in, killing myself instantly.

My stomach hurts from laughing.

I was so busy looking around on one i forgot to open my chute.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I was not prepared. This is why I went in completely blind and tuned out of seeing any recent gameplay stuff or trailers because holy loving poo poo.

None of it is in the trailers or gameplay lol

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

It's also cool that they've increased enemy variety. Helps make the world feel a bit more different.

Honestly I feel I can go back to BotW and still not feel samey with the different tools amd such, at worst I'd miss some QoL comveniences but I'd still have Stasis my beloved

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

sigher posted:

Finished one dungeon yesterday, it was really drat fun and I enjoyed the boss even if it was way too easy it was some really fun.

Whoever said this makes BOTW look like a tech demo is 100% correct.

I imagine they playtested the surface game like, worst playtesters in the office should be able to beat things without needing anything they don't get on starter island or in immediate area of puzzle/fight. And to keep it interesting make sure there's plenty of harder and wilder ways to approach it with way more tools or to get it down faster or cleaner or fun-messier.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

None of it is in the trailers or gameplay lol

I mean I wouldn't know, I didn't watch!

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I hope whoever decided to place the third (?) intro shrine on a snowy mountain top dies in a loving fire. You have no hearts and no stamina at this point in the game, no way to protect yourself from the cold other than a handful of peppers that give you about 10 minutes to figure things out, and you move more slowly in the cold.

Up and up this motherfucking mountain until the shrine is in sight… and then you have no way to access it. It’s surrounded by icy walls you can’t climb, the timer is ticking down, you’re stuck and you’re hosed. Game over rear end in a top hat, thanks for the $70.

Why the gently caress is something this difficult and obtuse so early in the game?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Cut trees, make a 5 log length log, prop it up against cliff, climb it like a bear

Edit: fb

I think this is the intended solution. Everyone who does it this way with the stuff they give you to do it with gets that part fine and people doing ??? Else seem to struggle.

Edit: lmao see above

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

https://i.imgur.com/0hkIvj3.mp4

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
I did the beginning area in a really wonky way first time, but on release day there is a very clear and straightforward path if you go counterclockwise and go in caves

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Now you're thinking with Super Glue!

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I think there's a cave or something that lets you get there, but otherwise I'd say it'd be a good test of thinking outside the box if it weren't for the cold. BotW gave you ice clothes for a reason.

also give me a korok mask i'm bad at seeing patterns. also where does Hetsu go after the first meeting? I think he's not in town yet.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Almost Smart posted:

I hope whoever decided to place the third (?) intro shrine on a snowy mountain top dies in a loving fire. You have no hearts and no stamina at this point in the game, no way to protect yourself from the cold other than a handful of peppers that give you about 10 minutes to figure things out, and you move more slowly in the cold.

Up and up this motherfucking mountain until the shrine is in sight… and then you have no way to access it. It’s surrounded by icy walls you can’t climb, the timer is ticking down, you’re stuck and you’re hosed. Game over rear end in a top hat, thanks for the $70.

Why the gently caress is something this difficult and obtuse so early in the game?

There's a climbable wall next to the waterfall but yeah it took me a long time to find it. I think if i redid it now that i'm used to the powers it would be trivial even without that. There's a lot of ways to just cheat.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I think there's a cave or something that lets you get there, but otherwise I'd say it'd be a good test of thinking outside the box if it weren't for the cold. BotW gave you ice clothes for a reason.

also give me a korok mask i'm bad at seeing patterns. also where does Hetsu go after the first meeting? I think he's not in town yet.

Starter town, in the south east quadrant. If he's really not there you might need to do a dungeon or something. There's no intermediate spot.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/6988398577911450886

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

This one gives you cold clothes too

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Khanstant posted:

This one gives you cold clothes too

Where?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Almost Smart posted:

Man I had the ideal experience I guess

Had three cooked peppers, cooked separately in case I needed flexibility

I got there to the cold area using a shortcut bridge so I figured I’d just make another bridge to get to the shrine, got to chopping down trees right away with the axe they conveniently give you 15 minutes before

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I bought a copy for my girlfriend and I to share.

Got 2 hours in and realized that if I keep going, I'd reach the halfway point of the tutorial, pick her up from work, watch her get maybe 1 ability as she plays from 3 pm to midnight, the day would end without me getting the full kit and I would lose my loving mind.

I bought two copies today.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Khanstant posted:

I think this is the intended solution. Everyone who does it this way with the stuff they give you to do it with gets that part fine and people doing ??? Else seem to struggle.

Edit: lmao see above

there is a rock wall you can just climb to get up there lol
it’s tucked behind a waterfall that has a conspicuous staircase in front of it

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
hey guys i just set a tree on fire and it GREW LEGS AND STARTED CHASING ME???? :stonklol: