Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

I think Series 1, episode 1, Eat Watermelon is probably one the best pilots ever.

Hell I also think this current series intro opening "brace! brace!" is also a great platonic atom of Taskmaster.

Eat watermelon is one of the ones I show people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

So true about Eat Watermelon. Especially how it goes from Frank Skinner gingerly finding a knife and then eating like 2 spoonfuls to end with Josh and Romesh's obliteration of a watermelon and then eating it like madmen.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Just realized with Taskmaster AUS there's a nonzero chance of getting the guys from Aunty Donna on the show, and that fills me with a great happiness.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I want some Chaser folk on AUS for a lark. We got their shows on the BBC so I'm pretty familiar with them. They'd all be so different.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Just realized with Taskmaster AUS there's a nonzero chance of getting the guys from Aunty Donna on the show, and that fills me with a great happiness.

Filming’s started on S2 already, so we’ll find out soon I expect!

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Apparently they've filmed the tasks and are offering studio tickets for NZ S4, but I haven't been able to track any down yet.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

Jenny has several times now put me in mind of genderswapped Brick Top

I said this to my wife like ten minutes into episode 1, glad to hear I'm not the only one who sees it.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Just noticed that Bernard the mannequin is first used and named in the handshake task in S04E07 and is then used again in S14E07 when the contestants need to hit "Bernard" with the balls. I just remembered Sarah asking "who's Bernard?" in the S14 task when Alex mumbles about him being Bernard Mannequin in the S4 one. I had no idea he was a recurring character!

He even has a wiki entry.

EDIT: Also my outfit would be a a pair of gloves and Greg's suit all in gold, and I'd say I just need the trophy to complete the outfit.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 11, 2023

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mine would surely include a customized lucha mask, recognition value be damned.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
missing tonight's episode because I'm going to be at the next series recording :hehe:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Phigs posted:

I had no idea he was a recurring character!
The low point for Bernard was his treatment at the hands of Ardal O'Hanlon. Part of the show's style is the constant re-use of a slowly accumulating collection of props. The first one was probably the plastic ducks but it's got to the point where more props than not probably have been seen before.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

missing tonight's episode because I'm going to be at the next series recording :hehe:

ASSSSSS. Tell us some juice y stuff later perhaps?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
The banter on this season is fantastic, really.

That studio task was rough to watch though :yikeseroo:

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

The Modern Leper posted:

The banter on this season is fantastic, really.

Oh poo poo another one? I haven't found a stream of yesterday's yet.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Studio task having to imitate Mae?!

Excellent episode, good banter, good tasks

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm curious how they managed to get/make those jelly babies.

Great episode for Ivo Graham content. His highest high and his lowest low.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Tenebrais posted:

I'm curious how they managed to get/make those jelly babies.

Great episode for Ivo Graham content. His highest high and his lowest low.

I suspect it's the dusting of powder on them. You make a flavorless gelatin base then create the flavors by pulverizing your ingredients into dust.

It was a neat twist on the "eat something" genre.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

You can boil whatever terrible garbage you want and strain the results through a bunch of cheese cloth, then mix the clear liquid with a bunch of gelatin and food coloring. Plus a generous dusting of citric acid.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Modern Leper posted:

Why?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Watching people put on accents that they're not comfortable speaking in makes me cringe personally. It was a good task for that reason though.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Ivo and Frankie's dynamic is probably the best thing in this season's tasks.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
In terms of task setting, that episode felt much more like a set of classic TM tasks.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I don't get why none of them figured out that they would be having to do something with the answers they gave. I was 99% sure that time would be the length of time they would have, and that they would need to make something using the ingredients they gave. I didn't clue in that they'd need to make an <adjective> <nationality> <noun> out of it, and nobody would have guessed that they'd have to clap the number they gave, but they should have known they were making a task.

I suppose it could have been for another contestant though, like the plays last season.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Phigs posted:

I don't get why none of them figured out that they would be having to do something with the answers they gave. I was 99% sure that time would be the length of time they would have, and that they would need to make something using the ingredients they gave. I didn't clue in that they'd need to make an <adjective> <nationality> <noun> out of it, and nobody would have guessed that they'd have to clap the number they gave, but they should have known they were making a task.

I suppose it could have been for another contestant though, like the plays last season.

It’s easy enough to infer that there will be a follow-up task with the choices, but you can’t determine the parameters. Say you make “easy” choices based on your assumption. What happens if there’s a twist and it your choices are assigned to a different contestant? You just handed them the win. What if you assume the time you select is the amount of time you’ll get to complete the task, but instead the time you’re given is 30 minutes minus your selection? Now you’ve given yourself a lot less time to complete. There are lots of ways a task designer could manipulate assumptions from a blind guess.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

It’s easy enough to infer that there will be a follow-up task with the choices, but you can’t determine the parameters. Say you make “easy” choices based on your assumption. What happens if there’s a twist and it your choices are assigned to a different contestant? You just handed them the win. What if you assume the time you select is the amount of time you’ll get to complete the task, but instead the time you’re given is 30 minutes minus your selection? Now you’ve given yourself a lot less time to complete. There are lots of ways a task designer could manipulate assumptions from a blind guess.

Yeah my thoughts as they were making their lists were that the time is the real fucker; assuming you're going to be the one doing the task, you don't know if it's going to be your time limit or the amount of time you have to do something for.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

My surprise was that they didn't speculate on what the task would be. If they gambled on high time being a negative then that's one thing, not even trying to game the parameters is what weirded me out.

They might have just edited those parts out. But I would have thought speculation like that would be the kind of thing they'd keep in.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I was in hysterics over Frankie's frightened chimpanzee comment, but it is now very apparent to me that tasks are not the strongest part of this series.

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

Phigs posted:

My surprise was that they didn't speculate on what the task would be. If they gambled on high time being a negative then that's one thing, not even trying to game the parameters is what weirded me out.

They might have just edited those parts out. But I would have thought speculation like that would be the kind of thing they'd keep in.

There's also the risk of--like Jenny--giving yourself too much time, finishing early, having a sit-down for a bit, and forgetting to clap altogether.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Frankie's drat lucky his prizes are all funny as hell because they have nothing to do with the tasks lmao

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Paladinus posted:

I was in hysterics over Frankie's frightened chimpanzee comment, but it is now very apparent to me that tasks are not the strongest part of this series.

He’s overall awful during the tasks where he’s not being a dick to Ivo, but I don’t think I’ve ever laughed more at someone’s studio banter than his.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The camera showing what the pulper looked like inside absolutely destroyed me for how simple it was. Working on this show must be a delight sometimes.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

stev posted:

Watching people put on accents that they're not comfortable speaking in makes me cringe personally. It was a good task for that reason though.

But they were drat good at it! The city section was really good

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

The fact that they were all "white accents" helped a lot. It's way less cringe to see British people try to be other types of British or European or Colonial than it would be otherwise.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

thebardyspoon posted:

The camera showing what the pulper looked like inside absolutely destroyed me for how simple it was. Working on this show must be a delight sometimes.

They way they all cringed at the horrible noises!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
This was a really fun episode. Watching Ivo do really well and then crash and burn is always hilarious.

for the live task I kinda hoped all of them had gotten Jenny, but Ivo throwing just so he could try the Jenny walk was hilarious too

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Leatherhead posted:

Yeah my thoughts as they were making their lists were that the time is the real fucker; assuming you're going to be the one doing the task, you don't know if it's going to be your time limit or the amount of time you have to do something for.

This was my thought exactly, it could be "you have X minutes" or "After jump roping for X minutes..." The other parameters aren't that bad: probably a low number, a country that you know something about, ingredients that you wouldn't mind eating, something that there is several of in the house for a noun, and probably a color for an adjective as that's pretty objective.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Awesome we scored a seat for the recording of the first ep of TMNZ s3. So stoked!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Spiteski posted:

Awesome we scored a seat for the recording of the first ep of TMNZ s3. So stoked!

cool, tell me how justine smith does

edit: this is a joke but I would really love to see more justine smith

Leraika fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 13, 2023

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Brigadier Sockface posted:

But they were drat good at it! The city section was really good

The Kiwi accent was really not bad, even if Greg didn't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

SirSamVimes posted:

The Kiwi accent was really not bad, even if Greg didn't get it.

It was so kiwi that I don't know how he missed it though, the wife and I were both like "oh well this is a gimme" and then he completely blew it.