Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

howe_sam posted:

Joanna Robinson on this week's House of R podcast mentioned a quote Gunn gave to some outlet saying in his opinion Peter wouldn't have hosed up in Infinity War.

It’s a tiny blurb in that big recent Hollywood Reporter interview, but yeah, he mentions the above, the return of Peter’s helmet in IW after it was destroyed in Guardians 2, and that his Peter wouldn’t have hesitated to kill Gamora when she asked.

The latter’s a bit weird because he only hesitates for a second and then he actually does pull the trigger, but by that point Thanos has used the stones to turn the gun’s blast into bubbles. He still does what Gunn says his Peter would have done, the character has no idea what Thanos is about to do to prevent it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s a tiny blurb in that big recent Hollywood Reporter interview, but yeah, he mentions the above, the return of Peter’s helmet in IW after it was destroyed in Guardians 2, and that his Peter wouldn’t have hesitated to kill Gamora when she asked.

The latter’s a bit weird because he only hesitates for a second and then he actually does pull the trigger, but by that point Thanos has used the stones to turn the gun’s blast into bubbles. He still does what Gunn says his Peter would have done, the character has no idea what Thanos is about to do to prevent it.

Oh, that's the fuckup he means? Then whatever.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Arist posted:

Oh, that's the fuckup he means? Then whatever.

That, plus losing his poo poo and punching Thanos as they’re getting the glove off

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Big Mean Jerk posted:

So wait Gunn isn't upset that Peter blew getting the gauntlet off, he's upset that Peter didn't ice Gamora immediately?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

site posted:

So wait Gunn isn't upset that Peter blew getting the gauntlet off, he's upset that Peter didn't ice Gamora immediately?

It’s both, I misread the original post above mine

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hollywood Reporter posted:

According to Gunn, “They did some things that I wouldn’t have wanted,” including Star-Lord's inability to kill Gamora after she asked him to.
Another was grief-stricken Star-Lord's attack on Thanos which many fans claimed led to the Mad Titan's Infinity War victory.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I mean ngl if he thinks having to work yourself up into shooting the love of your life in the face is a problem I worry for his wife

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

site posted:

I mean ngl if he thinks having to work yourself up into shooting the love of your life in the face is a problem I worry for his wife

insert peacemaker s1 finale joke here

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I can definitely see why Gunn would be annoyed with how Quill was depicted in the Avengers movies. After piling on the failures in Infinity War, Quill's role in Endgame was to be poo poo on constantly by the other heroes while never getting a real moment to redeem himself for anything.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jamesman posted:

Look at this fool that didn't watch Agents of SHIELD.

Isn't the Darkhold there completely different? So that watching it would make you even more confused/uninformed?

Idk I stopped watching that mess.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gavok posted:

Hey, I wrote a thing!

It's a look at the Marvel crossover movies that could have been, not counting the MCU. Includes TV Hulk vs. TV Spider-Man, Fox's version of Civil War, and the loving bonkers Dazzler movie.

Good article.

Oh btw I clicked some links and found this on a writeup of the movie's advertising.

Looool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghsR1rYytGo

E: the article https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/the-weird-marketing-of-the-howard-the-duck-movie/

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 12, 2023

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gavok posted:

I can definitely see why Gunn would be annoyed with how Quill was depicted in the Avengers movies. After piling on the failures in Infinity War, Quill's role in Endgame was to be poo poo on constantly by the other heroes while never getting a real moment to redeem himself for anything.

Eh, Thanos saying he likes him is a good compliment in a weird way. He also does come up with the plan against Thanos that almost works.

I think he was fine in IW. Endgame is just a couple moments for laughs, but a lot of characters are only there for a beat or two for the final battle.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Does anything even happen to him in Endgame besides running into Alt Gamora?

She hits him, but that's because she doesn't know him and he touches her, not because of what he did in Infinity War.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Starlord is kinda in a sticky situation because infinity war is kinda about all the heroes failing in some way to allow thanos to succeed, but he is the only one who fails but doesn't get to redeem himself in the next movie.

Still that movie did do some good work with nebula.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Aphrodite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJOM7H70iTY

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That feels like a gag Gunn himself might have done, tbh.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Rhodey's a loving rear end in a top hat in Endgame.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Aphrodite posted:

She hits him, but that's because she doesn't know him and he touches her, not because of what he did in Infinity War.

He basically gets four moments.

- The time travel scene where his opening credits dance is repurposed to make him look like a giant doofus while he's being made fun of and punched out.

- Being part of the cool portals moment.

- Getting kicked in the balls by Gamora followed by Gamora and Nebula openly talking poo poo over him.

- The passive-aggressive Thor scene.

So yeah, while those are all fun scenes, as a whole it kind of kills his stock in the long-run. Fans consider him the biggest fuckup of Infinity War and the most he does in the follow-up is shoot a couple henchmen.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Gavok posted:

He basically gets four moments.

- The time travel scene where his opening credits dance is repurposed to make him look like a giant doofus while he's being made fun of and punched out.

- Being part of the cool portals moment.

- Getting kicked in the balls by Gamora followed by Gamora and Nebula openly talking poo poo over him.

- The passive-aggressive Thor scene.

So yeah, while those are all fun scenes, as a whole it kind of kills his stock in the long-run. Fans consider him the biggest fuckup of Infinity War and the most he does in the follow-up is shoot a couple henchmen.

None of the Guardians get to meaningfully contribute to defeating Thanos in the final fight. Instead of giving Captain Marvel a moment fighting him they should of given that to Gamora and Nebula, and if you want to give Starlord a big hero moment you should have him crash the Guardians ship into Thanos's ship to save the day rather than Captain Marvel destroying it. Poor Drax doesn't even get to interact with him.

I'm aware this sounds like I'm just trashing Captain Marvel but honestly the Infinity Saga didn't really have much to do with her so give those moments to someone else.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Nebula fighting her past self was more fitting for her arc, especially since she would've had to lose to Thanos.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
shoud've been true to the comic and given neblua the gauntlet

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That would have required her to be a moron to lose it though. Plus I think she got her closure when she saw the actual Thanos who raised her get killed

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

live with fruit posted:

Nebula fighting her past self was more fitting for her arc, especially since she would've had to lose to Thanos.

Plus going after Thanos out of revenge in the first place is what caused Thanos to go into Infinity Stone speedrun mode.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Saw GotG3, it was good. I'm very happy with Nebula's arc overall. Hope the MCU can learn the right lessons from this movie.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah, more F-bombs.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sean Gunn has said in an interview that he's no longer going to be playing Rocket (which he's done stand in for in every movie appearance of the character) but he would return to play Kraglin. Also interesting is that while normal Rocket performance is usually more just for reference than outright motion capture it was different for the flashbacks in 3. For those it was actually him and Linda Cardellini in mocap suits acting the scenes out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

Sean Gunn has said in an interview that he's no longer going to be playing Rocket (which he's done stand in for in every movie appearance of the character) but he would return to play Kraglin. Also interesting is that while normal Rocket performance is usually more just for reference than outright motion capture it was different for the flashbacks in 3. For those it was actually him and Linda Cardellini in mocap suits acting the scenes out.

That's interesting and kinda sucks for Gunn that he was doing that but Cooper was still dubbing his performance. Cooper's voice work in this one is great, don't get me wrong, but I thought we moved past that kind of thing with the Doug Jones/Hellboy case.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

That's interesting and kinda sucks for Gunn that he was doing that but Cooper was still dubbing his performance. Cooper's voice work in this one is great, don't get me wrong, but I thought we moved past that kind of thing with the Doug Jones/Hellboy case.

If anything, Hollywood is deeper into celebrity voice over performances. And Gunn's actually said that executives were mad that Cooper didn't just use his regular voice.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They have been getting better about giving props to body actors. Like the actor who physically played Groot got billed next to Vin Diesel in the end credits of Guardians 3. While the last two seasons of Doom Patrol added Matthew Zuk and Riley Shanahan (the actual physical actors for Larry and Cliff) into the opening credits.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Gaz-L posted:

Apparently Gunn did the voice work for Young Rocket in this one, which was a first

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Apparently Gunn did the voice work for Young Rocket in this one, which was a first

Oh neat

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gavok posted:

That one does sit kind of irritating. He's dancing around to the great 'Come And Get Your Love,' Rhodey. No shame. What IS shameful is being an apparatus of the military industrial complex. :smugdog:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

live with fruit posted:

If anything, Hollywood is deeper into celebrity voice over performances. And Gunn's actually said that executives were mad that Cooper didn't just use his regular voice.

Yeah you have things like Mandalorian where it's very rarely Pablo Pascal in the suit and he mostly does the voiceover.

Probably a lot easier to have Cooper agree if all he needs to do is voices. And even though that's all he does, he's never phoned it in and his performances are always great.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

That one does sit kind of irritating. He's dancing around to the great 'Come And Get Your Love,' Rhodey. No shame. What IS shameful is being an apparatus of the military industrial complex. :smugdog:

They can't hear what he's listening to!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Peter is obviously a clown a lot of the time and his dance is very silly when seen from the other side. He obviously has heroic and deeper levels and I think Infinity War plays that fine. He’s mostly just there for a joke in Endgame but it seems very weird and silly to be hung up on that. Especially from someone like Gunn who loves that kind of one off mean joke. I could understand why Gunn might be sensitive about the characters he put stuff into but like that’s life. He’s on the other side of that now with DC.

Also I hate those RLM guys and think they’re always just reading negative poo poo into stuff. That’s how commentators like them make their money. Gotta make noise. Can’t just like or not like something.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Also I hate those RLM guys and think they’re always just reading negative poo poo into stuff. That’s how commentators like them make their money. Gotta make noise. Can’t just like or not like something.

i won't watch a RLM for a moden film I like, because you are totally correct, but what's this in response to?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

STAC Goat posted:

Peter is obviously a clown a lot of the time and his dance is very silly when seen from the other side.

It’s not all that great for him even within the context of the first film. While it’s ostensibly fun and whimsical, the purpose of that scene is to show how emotionally detached and callous Quill has become.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Soonmot posted:

i won't watch a RLM for a moden film I like, because you are totally correct, but what's this in response to?

someone posted a video of their review

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They said the scene in the elevator was gunn being passive aggressive at what the russos did.

And I believe it because he’s said he didn’t like the choices of infinity war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Aphrodite posted:

They can't hear what he's listening to!

He's also sort of badly singing along, so Rhodey knows.