Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Does this mean DRK gets to have WAR's self healing then?? No probably not lol. I will still play and love DRK as is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Shatter was so quick, so this means it'll take as long as the other ones?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Shatter was so quick, so this means it'll take as long as the other ones?

They'll probably moderate the amount of data gained from ice, yeah. Still, I suspect their intent is more to try and balance it out more for the average player, since success on Shatter depends on team competence way more than the others: the overwhelming majority of gameplay is a pitched 3-way fight in mid where it's comically easy to get flanked and killed if you're going on autopilot, especially with the ease of building BH, and capturing big ices requires you team to both know the times for when they spawn and to know which ice they can actually safely approach without getting crunched.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Twibbit posted:

Does this mean DRK gets to have WAR's self healing then?? No probably not lol. I will still play and love DRK as is

It has that. It is called Living Dead.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

ImpAtom posted:

It has that. It is called Living Dead.

Weird I hit that button and for some reason healers blow all their cool downs instead

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dragongem posted:

Weird I hit that button and for some reason healers blow all their cool downs instead

They've been conditioned to do it, it's not their fault

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

It would be cool if Carve and Spit also restored some HP I guess

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Arist posted:

They've been conditioned to do it, it's not their fault

They do it before goes off though

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Consummate Professional posted:

There’s no way I’ll be done with Zelda by the 23rd :(

Don't feel bad. Yoshi-P is in the same boat and squeezing in as much time for Zelda before the patch.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Once the initial week of glam is over it'll be easier to put the game down every now and again.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Chillgamesh posted:

So the changes to Shatter were: they took the control points out, and ice can respawn. Makes it a little more like Seal Rock then, should be fun
The changes seem good but Shatter is the Frontline map i've had the most success on so I'm a little sad. I'd estimate my win rate on Shatter to be around 40% vs 33-35% on Seal Rock and Onsal Hakair

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

functionally it's a better map - a lot of dead space is cut out and the paths are more clearly distinguishable (plenty of times I've seen people get confused over where to run out to once a big ice is done)

but still

boneless. it got no bone in it.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Is bone the new soul

It does look less interesting though, and looks like it encourages two way fights over three way, which is the reverse of the old map.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
All I want to know if they caught the bastard that made Secure yet, and what punishment they are giving him.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

they're killing secure in 6.4

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Thundarr posted:

Is bone the new soul

It does look less interesting though, and looks like it encourages two way fights over three way, which is the reverse of the old map.

Yeah, it's clearly meant to encourage skirmishing on the upper plateau over small ices, with opportunities for pinches coming mostly from big ices. I'll still miss the jousting around mid, since it gave the map a unique flavor, but it also meant that coordinated teams with a DRK and a couple DRGs would annihilate most unprepared teams.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

What's with the DRKs complaining...I thought DRK was good.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

that's the problem, i think

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Nova_Crystallis/status/1657020337022803970?t=t6YCJkxHbkY3HA4f91_BJg&s=19

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
did i read a right translation that they said while code for ARR is documented, they skipped all code reviews due to time so there are very few people who know how it works? because lol, makes a lot of sense

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I was doing Limitless Blue for the first time, failed (didn’t have enough DPS for the corona), got the Duty Failed cutscene, and then my internet provider connection bucked and I got logged out. Scared to log back in

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Ngl the symmetry of the new Shatter map makes me worry it’s gonna play more like Secure than Seal Rock, hopefully mid being low ground and easy to move across means it won’t devolve into ring-around-the-rosey.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Chillgamesh posted:

Ngl the symmetry of the new Shatter map makes me worry it’s gonna play more like Secure than Seal Rock, hopefully mid being low ground and easy to move across means it won’t devolve into ring-around-the-rosey.

I assume Onsal is more the model they're trying to hit, where you have small ices clustered in such a way to predominantly encourage two teams to fight over them, and then larger ices that are meant to favor one specific team that has direct non-cliff access, both as a catchup mechanic and as a strategic option to pinch whatever team has to take the front door in to get to.

Ionicpsycho
Dec 25, 2006
The Shortbus Avenger.
Tell me how I get that Axolotl mount. Tell me now.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

it's probably island sanctuary-related

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Khloe is real, and strong, and my friend.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

OhFunny posted:

Don't feel bad. Yoshi-P is in the same boat and squeezing in as much time for Zelda before the patch.

Much respect

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

You cant see it there, but it's the special edition totk switch

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Greater Serpent of Ronka, Lancetfish, Charibenet, Ealad Skaan, and Sea Butterfly. That was a productive night goddamn.

Nabaath Saw continues to be a little poo poo, though.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Thundarr posted:

Greater Serpent of Ronka

:eyepop:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Thundarr posted:

Greater Serpent of Ronka, Lancetfish, Charibenet, Ealad Skaan, and Sea Butterfly. That was a productive night goddamn.

Nabaath Saw continues to be a little poo poo, though.

Goddamn, that's a royal flush and a half.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Careful now

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
i'm elated for WAR to get another buff that makes it even stronger at 70. it's already stupidly powerful in eureka and this was before they buffed shake it off. let me tell you about a party-wide heal-over-time that's affected by echo & elemental bonus

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Just did Tower at Paradigm's Breach with at least five other RDMs in the alliances. There were at least two Verflashes per fight.

So with that behind me, I can confidently say the Nier raids are disappointing. The battle music fits worse than Ivalice's, the story yo-yos between irreverent and maudlin, half the cutscenes are watching your cool new friends do something you'll never be able to do, and the entire story had no impact on the world beyond blowing up a party, but they're going to pretend it needs an entire moral subplot anyway.

It's almost like it belongs in an entirely different game, they say with only the barest trace of irony.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
The new patch coming out in 10 days and I haven't even bother doing the Treasure Trove.

Yeah, I'll just get the hair and be done with it.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Pyro Jack posted:

The new patch coming out in 10 days and I haven't even bother doing the Treasure Trove.

Yeah, I'll just get the hair and be done with it.

me: "hmmm, maybe i should farm the weapon trials for more tomes"
tears of the kingdom: [brains me with a steel folding chair]

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I always felt like the Nier raids are best seen as comparable to an old-fashioned TV crossover than any other type of crossover we're familiar with. It's not like an Avengers movie where the logic is 'oh man they're paying for all these characters to be on screen, so it must be super important'; it's more like when Magnum P.I. crossed over with Murder She Wrote, and the main fun is getting those characters to meet each other and be in a less typical adventure, and then next week that's just in the past and everyone's moved on to doing their usual stuff.

Which I think is really good in this case, because holy poo poo, can you imagine the reactions from people who are Serious About Lore for either of those properties learning that? FFXIV nerds would be so loving mad that a sci-fi action game was suddenly heavily influencing their fantasy story. Meanwhile, Nier fans would... actually on reflection probably be okay with the postgame of an MMO's third expansion suddenly being lore-integral to Nier, that's among the most reasonable asks the Nier Expanded Universe has ever made of them.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Yoko Taro's position on his games is "everything is canon, especially if it doesn't make sense" so yeah. If I understood some people trying to explain it correctly, the FF14 stuff sets up a time loop that sets everything up for Drakengard in the first place? On the one hand, everything they were saying sounded like nonsense and it was 3/4 of the way into a 10 hour marathon speedrun. On the other hand, Drakengard.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Bruceski posted:

Yoko Taro's position on his games is "everything is canon, especially if it doesn't make sense" so yeah. If I understood some people trying to explain it correctly, the FF14 stuff sets up a time loop that sets everything up for Drakengard in the first place? On the one hand, everything they were saying sounded like nonsense and it was 3/4 of the way into a 10 hour marathon speedrun. On the other hand, Drakengard.

No it doesn't do this, but it explains details about how the Drakengard and Nier Worlds perform dimensional travel (specifically stuff related to the Grotesqueries/Watchers). The Machine Lifeforms, via copying a Nier Earth human database on the subject (which the humans had from observing Caim and Angelus dimension travelling to earth at the end of Drakengard Ending E), reverse engineered this dimensional travel method, which is how the alliance raid story happens. 9S and 2B in FFXIV are a counter-virus that a 9S installed onto their dimensional invasion orb after joining them on their journey to the stars in one of the endings of Nier Automata itself, so that whenever those factory orbs activated and started printing machines, they'd also print a 9S and 2B to stop themselves.

This database of information is later included in the remaster of the original Nier game, and was originally featured specifically in a side book for the original Nier that detailed the Ending E that they couldn't originally put in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

The story behind the Neir raids gives us a gem of a fact that if someone asks us for help we absolutely cannot refuse. Literally