Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
everyone mentioned previously is bad, but Pat McAfee and Hiroshi Arai are straight up unlistenable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
alvarez and co decided during their retro reviews that bartlett actually ruled. he did a vince impersonation for a full episode and showed up to one recording in an elvis costume, neither of which were done with any permission.

he was clearly an awful fit for wrestling but doing the hackiest poo poo imaginable in search of a laugh is a better viewing experience than sincerely engaging with a friar ferguson match or whatever

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

El Generico posted:

I'll say, I don't think anyone on the screen has done more damage to more wrestling over time than Michael Cole. Lots of people have been much worse, but Michael Cole makes every match he calls worse, and he's called more matches than almost anyone at this point, so the damage is incalculable.

Not a rhetorical question: Do you think there's anybody that WWE would have put in lead commentary where the outcome wouldn't be just as bad or worse? If so, who?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

little munchkin posted:

alvarez and co decided during their retro reviews that bartlett actually ruled. he did a vince impersonation for a full episode and showed up to one recording in an elvis costume, neither of which were done with any permission.

he was clearly an awful fit for wrestling but doing the hackiest poo poo imaginable in search of a laugh is a better viewing experience than sincerely engaging with a friar ferguson match or whatever

I will say the McMahon impression made me laugh once or twice which is better than Madden ever did, apart from the time he had to apologize because he mistakenly said that Bruno Sammartino was dead.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Not a rhetorical question: Do you think there's anybody that WWE would have put in lead commentary where the outcome wouldn't be just as bad or worse? If so, who?

Only someone like JR who was tenured enough (and old enough) to be okay with either telling Vince to gently caress off or just ignore him all together. Foley only lasted a few weeks on commentary IIRC because he hated the way Vince treated him. Problem is, with WWE being the only game in town for so long there was never going to be another JR who could come in and do their own thing.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Will Cole start doing his own thing when Vince dies? I assume he'll still be barking orders from the Gorilla position even after the company is sold.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Will Cole start doing his own thing when Vince dies? I assume he'll still be barking orders from the Gorilla position even after the company is sold.

I assume micromanagement will still happen. Especially if it's HHH.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I only saw bits and pieces of WWE while Vince was out but commentary felt downright calm and human at times which it has never felt under Vince. I think it will get better when he’s gone for good.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ganso Bomb posted:

Only someone like JR who was tenured enough (and old enough) to be okay with either telling Vince to gently caress off or just ignore him all together. Foley only lasted a few weeks on commentary IIRC because he hated the way Vince treated him. Problem is, with WWE being the only game in town for so long there was never going to be another JR who could come in and do their own thing.

And aside from bringing in somebody new who with any experience with wrestling could they have gotten?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Dawgstar posted:

And aside from bringing in somebody new who with any experience with wrestling could they have gotten?
Depending on when we are talking they might have been able to convince Tony Schiavone to give it a shot but he probably would not have wanted to do it

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Michael Cole does not have a good announcer voice to me. His voice is too high but not high enough, if that makes sense?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Is there a good documentary or youtube series on catch wrestling, (both the history and/or modern era)? I'm really interested in it and how it evolved into pro wrestling. Is catch wrestling still done today?

I can't even figure out if catch wrestling is scripted or not. My understand is its origins aren't but maybe it is nowadays? Or is catch wrestling still done as a legit sport and pro wrestling branched off and became its own thing?

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 11, 2023

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kvlt! posted:

Is there a good documentary or youtube series on catch wrestling, (both the history and/or modern era)? I'm really interested in it and how it evolved into pro wrestling. Is catch wrestling still done today?

I can't even figure out if catch wrestling is scripted or not. My understand is its origins aren't but maybe it is nowadays? Or is catch wrestling still done as a legit sport and pro wrestling branched off and became its own thing?

By the time catch wrestling was the pre-dominant style in pro wrestling, pro wrestling was almost entirely worked. Catch wrestling was taught as a legitimate skill and they were legitimate shooters, but the matches were worked. Today it is taught as a martial art and there are some catch wrestling tournaments here and there.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

the thing is a lot of catch wrestlers are super weird about "true" catch wrestling and lineages and stuff. ime they're the weirdest marital artists when it comes to that kind of thing. Like, there are people who just search social media for people posting about catch wrestling to be reply guys correcting anything about catch wrestling lineages.

That said, dudes like Billy Robinson and Sakuraba were legit as gently caress.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I can't believe we had the Worst Commentary debate and nobody brought up JBL

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

He's too embroiled in the "worst champions" debate to make an appearance

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Maxwell Lord posted:

I can't believe we had the Worst Commentary debate and nobody brought up JBL

On the night that Sandow dressed up as Magneto to harass Hugh Jackman, JBL got annoyed and shouted that Sandow needed to go back to Asteroid M.

That was such a random and out of nowhere and shocking reference that I honestly can't put JBL at the bottom of my list.

Anyway Corey Graves sucks and that long stretch where he was trying to fit a Mean Girls reference into every single episode of Raw was awful.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I remember when people were calling Graves the next Bobby Heenan lol

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

no because

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Someone from elsewhere in combat sports like Mauro or Goldberg.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Kvlt! posted:

There's a form of it in Iceland called glima that's been a legit sport for centuries. You start with a standing grip on each other's belts/harnesses which are specially made for the sport and try to throw each other to the ground.

Interestingly, I can't find any evidence of any pro wrestling in Iceland. All of the shows I can find that have taken place there were from outside promotions.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Bartlett did a bit on the first episode of Raw where he did an impression of Mike Tyson calling from prison after his rape conviction and would refer to any fat person as Oprah Winfrey.

Madden would regularly complain about internet recapper CRZ on a nationally televised show in between Jay & Silent Bob catchphrases.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Probably not, to be honest. Too many of WWE's weekly operations are set up to produce something Vince would like. After all, the times Cole was good are also separated from the usual weekly Raw production and so on. Compare him commentating the Mae Young Classic to his work during the months Vince wasn't part of the company. Sure, he was better than usual during that half of 2022, but he still wasn't good because he still had to be the Smackdown commentator.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Penguin Patrol posted:

everyone mentioned previously is bad, but Pat McAfee and Hiroshi Arai are straight up unlistenable

Hiroshi at least tells us names of obscure moves once in a while but all the other times he has trouble letting anything go and is sooooooo slow and he cuts people off!

Please just rehire Mr. Haku, I'm begging you DDT

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
I like Pat McAfee because he seems like he doesn't show up for meetings, because he's always like who's that? usually like me. He doesn't care about wrestling history but pops for sick moves, and loves Rick Boogz. Also that time he showed up via private Vince jet to join Cole/Graves for some show, and Graves was visibly pissed and seemed like he hated he was taking his lovely spotlight away the whole night.

I'm sure football fans hate him for his bro podcast and schick and worthless takes, but stupid sells to stupid, and there's more stupid than not.

If he ever goes to AEW though, that drug floor, is gonna be a giant pyramid of coke in the new EgyptIan Pyramid room where they combine their coke stash

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I also like pat mcafee because he seems like he genuinely likes what hes watching and is expressing his child like wonder to the audience.Which for my money is a million times better than the usual wwe commentary of "Catch phrase! Whatamaneuver! Over explain unnessicary things! Plug!"

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I don’t think they’re anywhere near the worst of all time, but I’m really not enjoying Coleman and McGuinness on the ROH show. Riccaboni is good though.

Am I right in thinking people really hated Taz as a commentator once upon a time? He’s so so good these days, but I’m sure that wasn’t the case in his Smackdown/TNA days (which is hardly surprising)

Answers Me fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 11, 2023

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Answers Me posted:

Am I right in thinking people really hated Taz as a commentator once upon a time? He’s so so good these days, but I’m sure that wasn’t the case in his Smackdown/TNA days (which is hardly surprising)

I think it's a combination of maturing as a commentator and actually watching a good product that he gives a gently caress about.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Answers Me posted:

I don’t think they’re anywhere near the worst of all time, but I’m really not enjoying Coleman and McGuinness on the ROH show. Riccaboni is good though.

He started off with people really liking him on Smackdown and then hating him by the end, and was funny when he started in TNA and quickly not giving a poo poo. That's what I assume happened in WWE.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Answers Me posted:

I liked Caprice and Ian, not sure about the vibe with Nigel.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ian's generally pretty solid, although I honestly think his nerdy reference stuff is even more cringey than Striker or Mauro could be, even if it's less often.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Defenestrategy posted:

I also like pat mcafee because he seems like he genuinely likes what hes watching and is expressing his child like wonder to the audience.Which for my money is a million times better than the usual wwe commentary of "Catch phrase! Whatamaneuver! Over explain unnessicary things! Plug!"

I used to listen to Bob and Tom on the way to work and he was a frequent guest and seemed alright. Had no idea he was just doing WWE stuff or how that even happened.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Answers Me posted:

I didn't care for Caprice Coleman at first, but he really grew on me.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I like caprice a lot

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i thought Ronnie Coleman was doing commentary and was pumped

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Caprice and Ian are a great team but I don't like it as much with Nigel.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

What was the first athletic commission to ban blading? Was there a specific incident that caused athletic commissions to step in in regard to blading?

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Mark Madden was the worst commentator ever on national TV with Striker as a not so distant second. Madden was straight audio poison, it was unbearable.

I've done live streaming commentary but never TV. The main thing the other commentators and I always focused on was getting the wrestlers and match over while keeping things flowing and balanced. You don't want to be super serious all the time, but you can't be using it as practice time for your standup routine. You don't have to call every move, it's more about going up or down in intensity to match the flow of the action. I was always told as a commentator your job is to help and guide the viewer to understand the story being told. You shouldn't try to tell the story or focus on getting yourself over. You get over as a commentator by getting the match over and leaving the viewer with a positive experience.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
There are also commentators that are good but I just don't like listening to them.

Mark Pickering on NOAH English commentary sounds like he's tightening his lips to a pinhole aperture and trying to force the words through one at a time. It's the most stilted sounding speech I've ever heard, which is bizarre because I've heard him talk normally and he doesn't sound like that. Maybe it's on-air anxiety or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bonk posted:

There are also commentators that are good but I just don't like listening to them.

Mark Pickering on NOAH English commentary sounds like he's tightening his lips to a pinhole aperture and trying to force the words through one at a time. It's the most stilted sounding speech I've ever heard, which is bizarre because I've heard him talk normally and he doesn't sound like that. Maybe it's on-air anxiety or something.

I think he stinks and sounds annoying.

And is a bad person.

Might change my vote to Mark Pickle Rick.