Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

kirbysuperstar posted:

Reset Collection makes me think of something made in like, VB6 forms

I think I still payed the dude anyway but it kinda just sits there unused lol

I set my Odin up with the Lament Configuration that is Pegasus and while it's good now that it's all done being set up, I would not recommend it to anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

HiredGun posted:

Just got my RP3+ and setting everything up including Daijisho. Love this little machine ! Coming from an RG351v it’s a big step up in what games are now playable for me

The RP3+ is a lovely piece of gear with great flexibility. The increased screen size makes it a great gen II and III player. I stoll love the RP2+, especially for GBA stuff and decided to hold on to it, ut RP3+ is my go to for PSX stuff.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Doctor Hospital posted:

I set my Odin up with the Lament Configuration that is Pegasus and while it's good now that it's all done being set up, I would not recommend it to anyone.

I took a look at that at some point and just went...pfffffnnnnnno

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

No real surprise that the ROG Ally will do full speed switch emulation. It’s gonna take a lot of power though.

https://youtu.be/vTwyjArlsaI

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Option 1: buy a Switch Lite

Option 2: it costs 400,000 dollars to emulate Switch for 12 seconds*

* may also cause a house fire since it's ASUS hardware

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Yeah unless you are talking about emulating PS3 Xbox, I don't know why the retro channels want to talk about using Ally to emulate Switch.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Yeah unless you are talking about emulating PS3 Xbox, I don't know why the retro channels want to talk about using Ally to emulate Switch.

Because that’s where the clicks are right now since Zelda just came out and people will literally spend $700 to play a game that even at its most expensive would cost less than $400 if you didn’t already have a Switch. I’ve seen people buy Steam Decks saying they want it to play Tears of the Kingdom on it even though the Switch version of BotW didn’t run amazingly on it. There’s a reason all the Youtube demos and guides are for the Wii U version.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
People will spend stupid amounts of money in order to pirate the latest Nintendo franchise games. It's either principle or clicks.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Worst case scenario is you end up with a gamebox that plays better games.

Unless one of the reviews shows me something that really kills it, I'm probably gonna get a flip. The clamshell design makes more sense for my lifestyle and my GPD Win 2's idle battery life sucks rear end. Plus that clear plastic is lewdly calling out me.

Has anyone worked out if Retroid releases new hardware kits on a schedule? I'd hate to buy one and they immediately announce a flip++.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I would say I don't expect a Flip+ that soon, but the fan is probably there in anticipation of one. They always do the upgrade PCB option though so you're probably not entirely screwed if you get one and they do a Flip+ in 6 months.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
All 3 major retro brands have released a mid range box on the tiger 618 platform, so they probably will make more boxes in tiger 618 before they all jump in the next cpu that's noticably faster. At least Anbernic will make a cheaper plastic version of 405m. I don't know about Retroid or kittyPaw.

The next popular platform could be something like the rockchip 3588 that's about 60% faster.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Unless they want to just move in on the Odin's spot and go to Snapdragons.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

stephenthinkpad posted:

All 3 major retro brands have released a mid range box on the tiger 618 platform, so they probably will make more boxes in tiger 618 before they all jump in the next cpu that's noticably faster. At least Anbernic will make a cheaper plastic version of 405m. I don't know about Retroid or kittyPaw.

The next popular platform could be something like the rockchip 3588 that's about 60% faster.

I am waiting for whatever the next step is. I want something that can play PS2 and GC/Wii stuff at full speed. That will probably be end game for me for sometime, same as a lot of people I assume.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Djarum posted:

I am waiting for whatever the next step is. I want something that can play PS2 and GC/Wii stuff at full speed. That will probably be end game for me for sometime, same as a lot of people I assume.

I mean we have that now just depends on how much you want to pay?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Yeah you can get 2 hours of battery life running a good ps2 emulator on a gpd win 2. That’s at like $600+ which gets you into the cheap laptop and a gamepad price point. Steamdeck/Loki/etc at the $400 levels but you’re hamstrung by supplier side issues.

But at the $200 price point, there’s the engineering challenge still. Anyone that solves the GPU power draw issue at $200 level problem punches their ticket to fame and fortune.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

coconono posted:

Yeah you can get 2 hours of battery life running a good ps2 emulator on a gpd win 2. That’s at like $600+ which gets you into the cheap laptop and a gamepad price point. Steamdeck/Loki/etc at the $400 levels but you’re hamstrung by supplier side issues.

But at the $200 price point, there’s the engineering challenge still. Anyone that solves the GPU power draw issue at $200 level problem punches their ticket to fame and fortune.
AFAIK the Steam Deck supply issues have been ironed out and people are getting their Decks like a week or two after they order them now.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

coconono posted:

Well the Retroid Pocket 3+ and others that use the same chipset are probably 60% there. I assume the next upgrade in hardware will probably get us there.

Although with Apple opening up iOS to sideloading in the Fall I might just get one of the good controllers and use my iPhone 14 Pro which should be able to do it with no issue.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Commander Keene posted:

AFAIK the Steam Deck supply issues have been ironed out and people are getting their Decks like a week or two after they order them now.

I got mine within a week months ago.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Just offer a smaller Deck without the trackpad. I don't want a faster computer.

Also I would like to see a smaller Switch Lite, Nintendo made so many impractical tiny rear end gimmick gameboys, can't you make a smaller Switch? Are Nintendo employees who were into fetishly small consoles all retired?

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 13, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Given how crammed in the parts of the Switch are as it is, I'd wager the Switch Lite is already as small as it can be.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think they have one more revision. Just something reveled on a Tuesday afternoon then released a week later like the 2DS XL

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

njsykora posted:

Given how crammed in the parts of the Switch are as it is, I'd wager the Switch Lite is already as small as it can be.

Yeah switch lite is already pretty tiny, I'm not sure why you'd want an even smaller screen to play full blown console games on.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

hatty posted:

I think they have one more revision. Just something reveled on a Tuesday afternoon then released a week later like the 2DS XL

does it have fixed sticks no really we swear honest to god this time guys?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

explosivo posted:

Yeah switch lite is already pretty tiny, I'm not sure why you'd want an even smaller screen to play full blown console games on.

I only want to play old game franchises migrated from Gameboy not the franchises from Nintendo home consoles.

Plus my brain was formed when PSP dominated the world. Can't enjoy any console bigger than PSP. My brain is damaged that way. My neighbor gave me his Switch when he moved out. I have barely touched it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

stephenthinkpad posted:

I only want to play old game franchises migrated from Gameboy not the franchises from Nintendo home consoles.

Plus my brain was formed when PSP dominated the world. Can't enjoy any console bigger than PSP. My brain is damaged that way. My neighbor gave me his Switch when he moved out. I have barely touched it.

:slonk:

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019
I've been playing drill dozer on my retroid 3. Not really a fan of the console and companies marketing/release practices. I'd be playing NDS games on Drastic, but what really messed me up , and a ton of others from what I've gathered on reddit, is they recently ran some update where you had to move your drastic folder and they give you the option to 'overwrite' or some poo poo, and all the saves are gone just like that if you chose the wrong option. Really messed up from the drastic team to do that. Also it doesnt let you put drastic in your downloads folder for 'security reason's?' I dont get it, but all my saves are gone. Also their cloud saving feature requires you not to have google 2 factor authentication on, which is bizarre. So yea, Drastic is the only paid app I paid for and it mismanaged my saves worse than any free emulator, and on top of that, their cloud saving to google drive gimmick is pretty bad with no options to customize , and its been like this for years.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Cloud Saves for the Miyoo Mini Plus if you're willing to put in a tiny bit of elbow grease. https://github.com/hotcereal/cloud-saves-miyoo-mini-plus

And another app that fixes the system time whenever it's run. Can be useful for when people play games that rely on the RTC to some extent. https://github.com/hotcereal/time-quick-fix

Naturally, these two don't work on the normal Miyoo Mini since there is no wifi.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Analogue Duo pre-orders begin Friday at 8 am pacific.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
https://www.analogue.co/duo

quote:

Duo features Analogue OS, but does not support openFPGA.

That seems like shooting themselves in the foot unless they're planning to release a separate console specifically for openFPGA.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Wouldn't that just be a Mister at that point? I feel like they probably think the Pocket+Dock is already that.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Seems like a missed opportunity, people spend $600 on a prebuilt mister and would jump on a $250 version in a fancy box even if openFPGA is kinda half baked by comparison. Maybe the pocket will be able to meet demand soon and they’d rather you buy that

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I've been waiting for ever for my polymega to ship (haha yeah, right. I'll believe it when I see it on my doorstep) and I believe I will surely have my analogue duo in my hands before I have the polymega.
I think people don't want to tinker with the Mister as much, and from my understanding it's more of a tinkerer's toy vs the Analogue which just runs.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If anyone wants the RG35xx, I notice Temu has it for 56.xx, you can get a 20% off for new account or very easy to get $5 of 29 coupon for old users. Free shipping and free return.

There are other Anbernic consoles but you have to search "game console" not Anbernic.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

In and out in less than 1 minute. Ordering the Analogue Duo was SO much faster than the pocket. Granted there is less demand, but still.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

otter posted:

In and out in less than 1 minute. Ordering the Analogue Duo was SO much faster than the pocket. Granted there is less demand, but still.
Same. Glad Kanye didn't tweet anything about it (idk he's probably banned from twitter tho)

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

falz posted:

Same. Glad Kanye didn't tweet anything about it (idk he's probably banned from twitter tho)

Did he do that about the Pocket?
Credit union fraud prevention blowin up my phone today with "Did you authorize this $277 charge in HK?"

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I think I'm gonna hold off on the Retroid Pocket Flip for the next iteration. Way too many community notes like "fiddle all the menus or the rain is broken"

I just wanna load roms and jam, man.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Jumped through a bunch of hoops only for my primary card to lock itself down until I spoke with the fraud people.

My backup card YOLO'd through the whole process, so I have a white Duo on the way (sometime...).

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Somebody please talk me out of getting a Funkey S. The conversion rate has gotten favourable enough to bring it under a hundred bucks canadian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

flavor.flv posted:

Somebody please talk me out of getting a Funkey S. The conversion rate has gotten favourable enough to bring it under a hundred bucks canadian

Well since you asked:
-You will never actually play a game on it past the first hour of tinkering.
-Having one on your keychain will impress exactly nobody.
-For about the same price you can get the perfectly pocketable Miyoo Mini+ or rg35xx for something still tiny but not so much you can't play stuff on it.