Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Jel Shaker posted:

Sunak and Starmer criticise decision to deny Zelenskiy a Eurovision speech

Producers of event refuse Ukraine president’s request to speak over fears of politicising contest

didn't they just hand over the win to ukraine in the last one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
so whats better Abrams or the Leopard 2?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

yellowcar posted:

didn't they just hand over the win to ukraine in the last one

Yeah but if they want another win on Eurovision they gotta start winning on the battlefield.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

speng31b posted:

ckf probed 44 people for six hours each. that is 264 collective hours of potential posting annihilated from the universe. think of what cspam could have accomplished..... i guess we will never know.

I'm feeling such epigenetic trauma right now, literally shaking.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

maybe they should have eschewed the big cat nomenclature

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Al-Saqr posted:

so whats better Abrams or the Leopard 2?

the abrams does not have the hull ammunition storage in a big rack right next to the driver to guarantee a spectacular explosion on any frontal hit, so im going to have to give it to the americans on this one

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

quote:

The disadvantage is that for all the symbolic value that would be gained from regaining the lost majority of Bakhmut, the Donbas area is less strategically significant. Cutting into Russian lines in the east does not threaten Crimea and any effort to capture the cities of Donetsk and Luhansk, occupied since 2014, would be fraught, not least given the difficulty of urban warfare.

"Occupied since 2014" :thunk:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

much like cats, german tanks tend to settle down in very inconvenient places as they please and will fiercely resist any attempt to move them to where you'd like them to be

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
worst part is the noise they are unspayed and feral in your back yard

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

euphronius posted:

should have switched to dogs

Golden Retriever II

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

i remember watching the canadian broadcast of "ultimate top 10 tanks" or something on the discovery channel once and it went #1. Leopard 2 and #2. Abrams and apparently in the states it's flip-flopped lol

so the answer is: depends on where you live

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

should have switched to dogs

Golden Retriever II

Yeah you could name the tank after something badass, like a wolf. And it's going to be protecting everyone like a guardian angel, so you could maybe call if the Wolf Angel. What's that in German

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
die wolfs angel

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

yellowcar posted:

i remember watching the canadian broadcast of "ultimate top 10 tanks" or something on the discovery channel once and it went #1. Leopard 2 and #2. Abrams and apparently in the states it's flip-flopped lol

so the answer is: depends on where you live

wasn't the merkava up there too lmao?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
it's more intimidating to name weapons after nice things. i would name a 155mm artillery piece "fairy's kiss." that's more scary than "thor's hammer" or something stupid.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Tankbuster posted:

wasn't the merkava up there too lmao?

it was like #3 or #4

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

it's more intimidating to name weapons after nice things. i would name a 155mm artillery piece "fairy's kiss." that's more scary than "thor's hammer" or something stupid.

ah, like how the soviet artillery is all named after flowers

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i feel like the optimal naming scheme would be small but not yappy animals

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
President Zelensky shouldn't just be allowed to speak... he should be allowed to compete.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

iCe-CuBe. posted:

President Zelensky shouldn't just be allowed to speak... he should be allowed to compete.

hes in no shape

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
president zelensky should go on masked singer now that the europeans have spurned his amazing voice

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

OctaMurk posted:

ah, like how the soviet artillery is all named after flowers

203mm artillery piece namesake:

rawr

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

"Occupied since 2014" :thunk:

this comes up every time we get a gbs visitor

they either don't know or don't believe that the separatists exist. The only poster outside this thread that has acknowledged those regions is one guy in d&d that ended up getting banned because he hinted about removing everyone currently in those regions, i think the suggestion was forcing them over the Russian border. A tiny non-problematic ethnic-cleansing.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Regarde Aduck posted:

they either don't know or don't believe that the separatists exist. The only poster outside this thread that has acknowledged those regions is one guy in d&d that ended up getting banned because he hinted about removing everyone currently in those regions, i think the suggestion was forcing them over the Russian border. A tiny non-problematic ethnic-cleansing.

bad shoot imho

anyone who is a proponent of 'liberating crimea' should be held to task to explain what exactly is going to happen to all the people there

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 minutes!
Anyone who has ever acted against the glorious and completely non-fascist ancient nation of Ukraine has been a Russian plant. Ukraine was 100% unified behind joining the EU, and the dastardly Russian plant Yanukovych - who obviously cheated his way into the presidency - subverted the wisdom of handing over control of the country to the IMF in order to offer up the country to his Russian masters. Luckily, brave patriots rose up and he left of his own accord with his stolen loot with absolutely no threats or violence. Also all those dead people during the coup liberation? They set themselves on fire and/or shot themselves because they were incompetent Russian plants. No true Ukrainian was harmed

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Starsfan posted:

Man I watched that video like 3 or 4 times before I saw why people kept on quoting it.. it's like camouflage

in news unverifiable rumors on the internet LEOPARD DOWN?!?!?!?!

https://twitter.com/witte_sergei/status/1657130005414182912

so that's one of the original 14 delivered, 88 more to come to Ukraine in the future as per the German press release

The Soledar part came up in the Ru MoD daily report:

MoD Russia posted:

⚡️ Russian Defence Ministry report on the progress of the special military operation

(12 May 2023)

Part I (see Part II)

The Armed Forces of the Russian Federation continue the special military operation.

◽️ In Soledar tactical direction, the enemy carried out offensive actions along the entire line of contact stretching over 95 kilometres. The AFU launched 26 attacks involving more than 1,000 servicemen, up to 40 tanks and other military and special-purpose equipment.

◽️ All the attacks of the Armed Forces of Ukraine (AFU) have been repelled. There has been no breakthrough in the defence of Russian forces.

(from t.me/mod_russia_en/7372, via tgsa)

Leopard sightings have been reported since like last month but no pictures or videos to show proof atm.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

it's from the guardian and not a forums SYQ but same thing lol

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/may/12/ukraine-has-choice-of-targets-as-it-plots-counteroffensive

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018
However the offensive goes I wish everyone good luck and I hope no one gets hurt!

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Delta-Wye posted:

bad shoot imho

anyone who is a proponent of 'liberating crimea' should be held to task to explain what exactly is going to happen to all the people there

not a difficult task lol. they would just say deport all the russian settlers and collaborators to russia.

Akaiku
May 17, 2013
https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/12/politics/russia-patriot-missiles-ukraine/index.html

Cnn says the us says their missile defense works on hypersonic missiles.

Why are they wrong?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Danann posted:

The Soledar part came up in the Ru MoD daily report:

(from t.me/mod_russia_en/7372, via tgsa)

Leopard sightings have been reported since like last month but no pictures or videos to show proof atm.

1000 soldiers and 40 tanks has to be part of the counter offensive force right?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Akaiku posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/12/politics/russia-patriot-missiles-ukraine/index.html

Why are they wrong?

https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1656357697195765776

tl;dr presented evidence is that the shape is really off, too small, and too clean for a PAC-3 kill on a missile going hypersonic

CODChimera posted:

1000 soldiers and 40 tanks has to be part of the counter offensive force right?

It's right next to Bakhmut so if Bakhmut is the direction then they most likely were part of it.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Futanari Damacy posted:

unfunny dogshit IK

Wrong.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Danann posted:

and too clean for a PAC-3 kill on a missile going hypersonic

I don’t think anyone made any claims about the type of missile fired by Patriot.

Also the stuff that twotter account posted isn’t the same alleged Kinzhal debris posted elsewhere and earlier ITT.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

speng31b posted:

yeah, didn't you hear?

I love how the picture for that description is a loving sheridan

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Akaiku posted:

Why are they wrong?

No one knows for sure but imo it's probably more Ghost of Kiev stuff

https://english.nv.ua/nation/ukrainian-air-force-denies-reports-kinzhal-hypersonic-ballistic-missile-downed-over-kyiv-50322488.html

quote:

Reports that a Russian Kinzhal hypersonic air-launched ballistic missile strike was downed over Kyiv during the night of May 4 are false, the spokesperson for the Air Force Command, Yuriy Ihnat, said on May 5.

“There was a possibility of the use of ballistic missiles, but none were detected,” Ihnat said in a comment to Ukrainian boradcaster Suspilne on May 5.

He also noted that some military officials have already received reprimands for spreading false information.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
sorry guys i gave ukrainian grandpa a telescopic sight for his hunting rifle and he shot down the hypersonic missile. my bad

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

I don’t think anyone made any claims about the type of missile fired by Patriot.

Also the stuff that twotter account posted isn’t the same alleged Kinzhal debris posted elsewhere and earlier ITT.

PAC 3 came from Defense Express and was also where the initial pictures of the claimed kinzhal debris came from.

Donbass Devushka posted:

(Click thumbnail to open video)
🇺🇦🇷🇺Kiev Mayor Klitschko poses with a fragment of the warhead of the "Kinzhal hypersonic missile" claimed to have been "shot down" in the sky over Kiev on the night of May 3-4.

@DDGeopolitics
[sub](from t.me/DDGeopolitics/61968, via tgsa)[/sub

Another angle of the claimed debris and it's basically the same as what Defense Express initially published as proof. Although I guess paint was applied to the rest of the debris and the impact looks bigger?

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

AnimeIsTrash posted:

it was pretty funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Truga posted:

has anyone seen al-saqr and prigozhin in the same room together