Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Blasphemous Saga Fantasy

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!

MokBa posted:

Probably will forget to post anything for a few days because of Zelda but here’s CYELATM!

Just got my physical copy so off to disappear for a while, but first!
Previously on Manly Guys Doing Manly Things, dunking on Captain America

This time dunking on The Simpsons?
08/25/2014 - Every Simpsons Ever.

quote:

Bad news didn’t have much time for MGDMT this week, good news three new Platinum Black pages.

09/01/2014 - I’ll show you old man

quote:

I’m only just playing Dual Destinies now because it finally came out on the cellphone and while I do not dig the completely disproportionate balance of wordy exposition to puzzles and actual gameplay, I am enjoying my newfound ability to turn around at crime scenes.

09/08/2014 - you are aware of how marine mammals work, right?

quote:

I’ve been wanting to draw little manatee shark-face mermaid comics for YEARS now, I seriously told all my Australiabros about it when I was out there and that was like back in 2011.

Kratos is a noted smoocher-and-break-in-halfer of mermaids, do not trust Kratos with mermaids.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Hey in one of these threads I think, someone was posting a Zelda fan comic where Zelda and Ganondorf were married and he didnt know Zelda's kid was Link. Can I get a link to that?

e: found it by bravely googling that exact phrasing

aegof has a new favorite as of 16:54 on May 12, 2023

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sleepless Domain

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

lmao

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Previously on Tales of the Beanworld, der Kveen consumed all the Chow that was piled up, and prepared to do... something?

The ecosystem is back up and running! But there might have been an addition to it...

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Last time on Joey's Special Experience by Hirohiko Archie: Joseph Joseph Joseph and King square up! King leaps into the air and spews heroin-infused bubbles at Wumuu!

Read right to left:

Chapter 66 - The Present Is in The Past, You Know: END

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Chako

Insert any of the various memes about how the highest praise you can give a dessert in many Asian countries is “not too sweet”. Note also the similarity to the quest for the jewels that ChaCha refused! Chako, at least, plays along.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Chako is inevitable

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Ironheart Rune

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Incredibly expressive, love it. Don't know EXACTLY what is being expressed but it's very good.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Brawl in the Family

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

The Saddest Rhino posted:

THE CARPET MERCHANT OF KONSTANTINIYYA
Personal Thoughts: I was told about this book some time ago but forgot, and just recently was dealing with some carpet stuff at home, remembered, "oh yeah there's that Malaysian author who got nominated for an Eisner, I should check it out." I binged both volumes within two nights and was floored by how good it was, and since I just finished posting TOGETHER, thought this would be something the thread might like. I put up Yee's earlier work THE GOD OF AREPO first, which contains the themes of kindness and personal philosophy as THE CARPET MERCHANT OF KONSTANTINIYYA, to gauge everyone's reactions, and since it was positive I was like yeah let's do this. I'm happy everyone really enjoyed it! The design work is extremely well done and the writing in general has been very good, and the themes are something that I thought was very unique for both a historical and vampire/gothic fiction. Personally, I was way more invested in the relationship between Zeynel and Ayse in comparison to his relationship with Mora/Claudius, but maybe because I was finding some bits in the Zeynel/Claudius stuff to be edging towards twee (like at the gull/white raven's nest being disturbed and strawberries eating, with Zeynel crying and Claudius shrieking, extremely "these two need to kiss now" energy iykwim), and like mentioned in my previous conclusion update Claudius's death felt like something the writer needed to get over with so she could get to the meat of the ending. Oh and I am very much not into the idea of Zeynel/Alfie so kinda glad that didn't happen lmao. Anyway this was a great book! I'm probably gonna keep doing the stupid street fighter 2 thing in the other thread for a while before thinking of what else to post here.

See, I had been thinking roughly similar thoughts but the word I had settled on was 'squishy'. Or maybe it's just that I was expecting a bloodier kind of tragedy which didn't turn out to be the kind of story the author wanted to tell. F'rinstance, the story beat I was dreading in volume 1 was that Zeynel would bite Ayse and she would either die or turn into a nastier sort of vampire. To be clear, I didn't want that to happen, but that's where I was expecting the boot to be put in.

KennyMan666 posted:

Previously on Tales of the Beanworld, der Kveen consumed all the Chow that was piled up, and prepared to do... something?

The ecosystem is back up and running! But there might have been an addition to it...

Bit of an anti-climax there, huh. Or are still building tension?

fritz posted:

Ironheart Rune

Ironheart Rune continues to deliver. I wish my plumber could fix all my pipes just by smacking his wrench on the floor.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Dolmistaska

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Tree Bucket posted:

The last of the Friday night ksbd fanart

And the other two, cos they look nice as a trio.

That's the good stuff

THE CARPET MERCHANT OF KONSTANTINIYYA

Personal Thoughts: I was told about this book some time ago but forgot, and just recently was dealing with some carpet stuff at home, remembered, "oh yeah there's that Malaysian author who got nominated for an Eisner, I should check it out." I binged both volumes within two nights and was floored by how good it was, and since I just finished posting TOGETHER, thought this would be something the thread might like. I put up Yee's earlier work THE GOD OF AREPO first, which contains the themes of kindness and personal philosophy as THE CARPET MERCHANT OF KONSTANTINIYYA, to gauge everyone's reactions, and since it was positive I was like yeah let's do this. I'm happy everyone really enjoyed it! The design work is extremely well done and the writing in general has been very good, and the themes are something that I thought was very unique for both a historical and vampire/gothic fiction. Personally, I was way more invested in the relationship between Zeynel and Ayse in comparison to his relationship with Mora/Claudius, but maybe because I was finding some bits in the Zeynel/Claudius stuff to be edging towards twee (like at the gull/white raven's nest being disturbed and strawberries eating, with Zeynel crying and Claudius shrieking, extremely "these two need to kiss now" energy iykwim), and like mentioned in my previous conclusion update Claudius's death felt like something the writer needed to get over with so she could get to the meat of the ending. Oh and I am very much not into the idea of Zeynel/Alfie so kinda glad that didn't happen lmao. Anyway this was a great book! I'm probably gonna keep doing the stupid street fighter 2 thing in the other thread for a while before thinking of what else to post here.

Thanks for posting it! It was definitely one of the best in the thread. I feel like the art itself (for the characters at least) was not especially outstanding, but it worked well enough and was elevated by the writing and the overall page designs and backgrounds which were stellar. It's interesting to me that in another work having a character like Zeynel spending as much time pining for Ayse as he does might feel repetitive and one-note, but here it seems to just compound and create this incredible emotional depth. There's a real genuine love depicted on these pages and it's deeply touching. And I do agree that the ending felt a bit anticlimactic but the rest of the comic more than makes up for it. Top shelf stuff

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Not in response to anything in-particular I just wanted to shout out some general appreciation for everyone who posts anything from anywhere in this thread. It makes for a lot of good content to read first thing in the morning and it has introduced me to some cool stuff I would not have seen otherwise.

Thanks everyone, for all that you do.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Demon
Chapter 14.03

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Jimmy is embracing life at its fullest.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Spacetrawler

Kennel has a new favorite as of 00:09 on May 13, 2023

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Kit Walker posted:

That's the good stuff

Thanks! Turns out, White Chain is a lot of fun to draw. I love that sad weird ninja robot angel.

Personal Thoughts

Ah! So the Carpet author did God of Arepo, too? I guess they both share that vibe of... is it a Tolkien line?... being sad but not unhappy.

Also, crucial question, what do you call a person who makes comics? Cos "author" and "artist" both only cover half of what's going on.
I guess we could combine them into a new word, like arthor. Or autist. Uhhhh

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

Also, crucial question, what do you call a person who makes comics? Cos "author" and "artist" both only cover half of what's going on.

I usually go with "author", it's got a bit more gravitas and in cases where the words and the pictures are different people you call them artist and writer.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Hogback Saga

End of chapter 1. How are people enjoying Hogback Saga? I've got two more full chapters, chapter 4 is still ongoing. Something I find interesting about this comic is that the characters all feel located in their time but the author hasn't resorted to pompous faux-Shakespearian dialogue to do that. I think the casualness of their speech (although you'll notice that Gunnar adopts a more diplomatic tone with the king in this parley) really makes the characters more relatable to the modern audience in spite of the difference of historical perspective.

Also I thought this line was hilarious.

Gunnar was making reference to Emperor Constantine, the first Roman emperor to convert to Christianity, by the way.

Shinozaki's Daily Maintenance

I thought these panels were cute.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Shinozaki's Daily Maintenance has really grown on me, although it has just a smidge too many over-the-top manga reaction jokes. Thanks fot posting it!

Fingerpori

The general joke comes across, I think, but these speech bubbles had a surprising amount of small hard-to-translate nuances.

ANSU

The Accidental Space Spy

Hempuli posted:

159 - Trengosarg
160 - Drop it
161 - That guy
162 - Not worth the risk
163 - Good luck

164 - Sixth floor

165 - Cup

166 - Countercultures :biotruths:

I like how this builds directly on the thesis that cultures are by definition inconvenient and/or dangerous

Plume being heroic: 2 (+1)
Plume being a coward: 4
Alien species seen: 55 (+4; klatamentars, jawstealers, swoop masters & fintobribbs)
:biotruths:: 9 (+1; countercultures)
Talking character deaths: 14
Deaths overall: 46+

Hempuli has a new favorite as of 01:12 on May 13, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Tree Bucket posted:

I'd default to "artist," because creative writing is absolutely an art form even if we tend to associate the term with the visual arts.

Or "creator," which leaves no room for doubt and also alliterates nicely with "comics."

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I tend to say writer when I'm talking about the narrative and artist when I'm talking about the art. Some people use 'creator', I guess.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Emzedoh posted:

Bit of an anti-climax there, huh. Or are still building tension?

The latter is probably closer, although it's hard to map Beanworld in a tension/climax story model, really? But the status quo will continue to change with each story arc, sometimes subtly and sometimes radically, but always at least a little.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tunicate posted:

MS Paint Masterpieces
#536: Greatest Killer - Dog Rush KEKEKEKE

#537: Greatest Killer - They Fight And Bite

#538: Greatest Killer - Just As Designed

MS Paint Masterpieces

#539: Greatest Killer - Those Who Die

#540: Greatest Killer - Fancy Effect Thing

#541: Greatest Killer - Horseless Cavalry

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

mycatscrimes posted:

I tend to say writer when I'm talking about the narrative and artist when I'm talking about the art. Some people use 'creator', I guess.

Yeah, I tend to go for this, and "author"/"artist" when discussing the whole.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

DEMON EATER

The artist got enough comments that they later went back and removed the "Ta da" from the splash page. This is an example of why you should never listen to your fans.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

me, making you read my posts

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Enjoying Hogback a lot, thanks for posting it! Same for DEMON EATER, it's kind of like 'So I'm a Spider, So What' except without all the videogame stats stuff.

And same again for Prince Valiant, feeling kind of melancholy about it tho b/c I remember my stepdad back in the 80s/90s saying how good it was and I scoffed because all I knew was the contemporary stuff.

ETA: actually wait, hold on, there's an awful lot of good comics in the thread right now and if I were to call them all out this post'd be a lot longer.

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer

Tree Bucket posted:

The last of the Friday night ksbd fanart

And the other two, cos they look nice as a trio.

These are all rad as hell!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm still totally on board with Demon on the whole, but one thing I keep thinking about - we're like 200 years in the future at this point, right? It's weird that pretty much everything feels almost completely contemporary, I think airships occasionally appearing and some jokes about inflated prices are the most that it feels like it's leaned into not being the present day. Jimmy's even been to the moon and it just looked like the same lander and buggy technology from decades ago.

Maybe I'm just missing something, but there's been a few times where I've run across fiction set in the future but the creator keeps the representation weirdly close to the current day, and it always feels like a confusing creative choice.

Miles Blundell
May 7, 2023

by Pragmatica
I think it's pretty sensible, the material lives of humans, under the admittedly silly presumption that liberal capitalism somehow managed to remain stable for that long, probably wouldn't be that different from today. Flying cars are stupid and dangerous, space travel is boring because FTL travel is impossible so there's probably just a bunch of miners up there getting iron and precious metals out of asteroids and sending it to earth. Maybe they have laser guns and faster smart phones now but the story hasn't had much reason to focus on that kind of stuff.

It fits with the point of this part of the comic seeming to be how utterly boring it's getting for Jimmy to live forever.

Miles Blundell has a new favorite as of 04:07 on May 13, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Benagain posted:

The line "the moon shines down on an old old story that a boy and girl think is new" just *mwah*

extra hilarious that it's immediately followed by her dad going "oh yeah she's betrothed and lemme tell you man you dodged a bullet there"

edit: remember kids never laugh scornfully at the prophecies of witches

It's running all the classics with the deepest of care.

Actually this is probably one of those Sunday comics that gets the pacing right- each strip is detailed and evocative enough to move the story forward and not require too much redundant exposition partly because they're working off pretty classic cliches. Which is really the way you gotta do King Arthur stuff- even if you're playing with it, it just doesn't work without the magic and melodrama.

Hempuli posted:

I like how this builds directly on the thesis that cultures are by definition inconvenient and/or dangerous

I mean, *gestures broadly*

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

LAST TIME ON CLOWN CORPS

McBell's serious face is really good

Mime can't believe this mario maker horse poo poo

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

We're about to reach peak McBell in Clown Corps. Please look forward to it!

Antivehicular posted:

The latter is probably closer, although it's hard to map Beanworld in a tension/climax story model, really? But the status quo will continue to change with each story arc, sometimes subtly and sometimes radically, but always at least a little.

Fair enough, I was just expecting the scary spiky German-accented (was that really a German accent?) bugs to do more than just eat all the chow and die. Looking forward to see what happens next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Chapter: 2 - Adventuring Academy
Page: 14
Title: Swole

Marie works out
-=Author's Notes=-

The ultimate trans power fantasy, a parent saying I'm sorry. Making some cool new art assets I'm going to release for free, and the wife and I took the patreon money and went to a nice dinner. Thank you to everyone who's supporting me, and I hope you're enjoying the comic.

Boba Pearl has a new favorite as of 18:27 on Jun 28, 2023